PDA

View Full Version : Soft Goods Stink

10-16-2000, 11:40 PM
I've been harboring these feeling for a while and it's high time I let them out...
I HATE "SOFT GOODS"!! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/mad.gif
I cannot think of a single figure that has featured soft goods that I have liked at all. I think they look absolutely terrible! I would much rather have a static molded vinyl cape than a flimsy cloth one any day.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that this is ruining figures that would otherwise be good!

------------------
"And thus, I solemnly swear to never again pick up an Exacto knife without slicing my fingertips to ribbons..."
- Line 17 of the "Customizer's Creed"

JediTricks
10-17-2000, 11:02 PM
Not really a review, but ok. I personally don't like soft goods like the ones on the Leia 2-pack Ewok Celebration Leia, but on Jedi Knight Obi-Wan, I think it's a VERY good use of soft goods IMO.

------------------
In the immortal words of Darth Vader, "yippee!"

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Qui_Tom_Jinn
10-18-2000, 01:25 PM
I have yet to see a soft goods figure that I really like. The work on the Princess Leia collection comes close, but I would still prefer plastic.

------------------
I love cats. (They taste like chicken.)

10-18-2000, 05:21 PM
I do not like soft goods either. I think it looks bad on the figs when they are made of 80% plastic and then have a soft goods jacket thrown on.

10-20-2000, 12:49 AM
I picked up two of the Pricess Leia collections last weekend, and I was very impressed!!! I ended up getting the Leia ewok celebration, and the Leia with the R2, and both are very well made.

The only real problem is that the hood on the Leia w/ R2 is a bit flimsy and really doesn't stay on her head at all. But if you can find these at TRU for $2.97 each, it's worth it to pick these up.

coeli
10-29-2000, 10:27 AM
I like the 3 soft goods jedi and Maul figs, I think that they are well done(espescially Obi-Wans braid)The jackets that come with the Pricess Leia collections, however, are terrible. The Leias look good. I put a CTC Han Solo vest on the Han from the Leia collection and he looks much better. The material that comes with the large figure from Wattos box is really good as well(sorry, can't remeber his name)

Lord_Bigsexy
10-29-2000, 11:46 PM
I hate Soft goods too, why do peoople say they make ta figure look more realistic?? No way jose! And the reason is becuase, the cloth is just too think, and can't be thinn becuase of scale. So you're left with a big hunk of material. Plasic is the way to go. Only soft goods thing i liked was Obi-Wan's briad.

10-30-2000, 12:55 AM
I can admit to liking Obi-Wan's braid too. But consider that it is thread while everything else is cloth. Thread can be thin enough to look right. I would even go for thread "shoulder straps" on blaster rifles and stuff.

------------------
"And thus, I solemnly swear to never again pick up an Exacto knife without slicing my fingertips to ribbons..."
- Line 17 of the "Customizer's Creed"

Amanaman
11-24-2000, 04:06 PM
But you can't say 'soft goods stink' on 12" figures.

Boba_Binks
11-24-2000, 06:27 PM
I only like the soft goods on the Leia's in the Leia two packs.

The rest have not seemed to work well. Even the cloth capes on the Vaders have not been good.

I think the cloth Hasbro uses makes the figures look cheap.

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

11-25-2000, 05:41 PM
If you take the new POTJ obiwan(old)and add the brown robe from the EP1 access set you will have a perfect old Obi-wan.He can even hold the saber with both hands.

P.S.
The new jawa's look horrible without there cloth capes.
Just my 2 cents worth

Amanaman
11-26-2000, 05:41 PM
Soft goods on 3-3/4" figures won't achieve the detail of sculpted vinyl. On 12" figures, there's more area the fabric can run through - thus, more natural folds. Unless they use some special microfabric, vinyl will continue being my preferred choice in 3/4"

12-24-2000, 08:35 PM
i think its ok on some figs like obi-wan-jedi knight and qui-gon jedi master.but from the 2 packs i only like one soft goods figure.leia-bespin.it looks sweet on her.i also like the cloth cape on sith speeder maul and 300th boba fett.

and its true the new jawas should have cloth robes.like there vintage ancesstors
-the ig-88 series
phlutdroid

------------------
you were right about one thing master.the negotiations were short
-young ben kenobi(sw ep.1 tpm)
--------------
you stuck up,half witted,scruffy looking nerf herder!-leia oragana
hey!whos scruffy looking?-han solo
(sw:ep5 esb)
---------------
i better be getting paid for this-boba fett
(from star wars masters of teras kasi video game)