PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers On Your Board..?? (please read)

darth_egg
08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
hey guys here in look what i found..
well i think that we have a scalper prob on the fourms (denver and other places too) i was just wonderin what some of you have done to stop this prob on your boards. if you have had this prob.. it's seem that the scalpers are getting to the post first and ..snaking up all the goods ..any idea's would bee great thanks egg

Drew724
08-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I don't know if this is a problem in our Louisville finds forum or not, but I know that some other forum members will post that they have made finds but won't post what store they found them in. Then they require members they trust to send them a PM or an E-mail for the info. In theory this would work, but if the original person isn't on his PC very much, it could take time to get the info.

[ 08-22-2003, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Drew724 ]

CaptainAlex
08-22-2003, 09:17 AM
A great idea about Drew724 about how to deal with the scalper issue. Thanks.I'm going to share with the Rochester board.
-Alex

_DJ_
08-22-2003, 09:28 AM
I know that some other forum members will post that they have made finds but won't post what store they found them in. Then they require members they trust to send them a PM or an E-mail for the info. <font size="2" face="arial">I tried this a few months back in the Utah finds thread, but it didn't work out well. because most others would just keep posting the what, when and where of their finds.

It has to be a group effort, or it is just pointless.

As a matter of fact, we were discussing this same issue just this morning.

You can read the posts here, Utah finds scalper question. (http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=001144;p=37)

If you scroll down the page to the last couple of posts, there it is. images/icons/grin.gif

[ 08-22-2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: DarhJin ]

Darth_Chuck
08-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi all...
I'm relatively new here, but I have been visiting for YEARS.

Most of the time, I'm over at SSGs forums, and just thought, "Hey, I signed up, I guess I should reply to something."

Anyway, over at SSG, we have an Orlando finds thread. We used to post anything and everything, how many, where we hid them for each other...everything.

All of the sudden, the stuff started disappearing, FAST. Literally minutes after a post was made, the stuff was gone.

We resorted to only saying stuff like.."Found green Clone Trooper 3 packs, PM me for details."
..and that's it.

Stuff has been a little easier to find since we stopped blabbing everything, but unfortunately, the damage was sorta done. Stores that scalpers must not have hit a lot previously, are now some of the worst to find stuff at.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but where I live, near UCF (University of Central Florida), I'm within a 20 mile radius of 12 (TWELVE) Walmart stores, 9 (NINE) Target stores, 5 (FIVE) Toys R us stores, 8 (EIGHT) KB Toys, and 7 (SEVEN) KMarts.

...and we still can't find s***!

_DJ_
08-22-2003, 10:34 AM
DarthChuckMC,

yeah, I believe the damage has been done alreay too.

Here's a quote from my post in the Utah finds thread concerning scalpers/dealers and them using our posts to grab the goods and run.

When it comes down to it, it's just a part of this hobby we love, and a part that is getting harder and harder to aviod. <font size="2" face="arial">

darth_egg
08-22-2003, 03:37 PM
thanks guys for all the idea's

egg

JoshEEE
08-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Why assume "The boogeyman" scalper got it? Why not just assume a fellow collector got it?

I know I've raced to stores nearby moments after reading something online. Sometimes the stuff is still there, sometimes it's gone. Sometimes I post a note mentioning that, sometimes I assume another collector got it and forget.

I like the idea of saying "PM me for details" but what if you're not online to answer my PM? There's a bunch of things wrong with that. Plus, how do you know that I'M not a scalper? Just because I post here all the time doesn't mean that I don't have a side business selling stuff on Ebay to make 4 bucks a week. Ok, maybe not....but you get the idea, right?

Darth_Bryan
08-23-2003, 12:21 AM
I would have to say the distribution of the later waves have been terrible. Also the Clone Wars wave is only going out a box or two at a time. So it's going to be harder to find things since the figures aren't flooding the market. So sure it could be a scalper, but more likely another collector. If there's only a box of 3 packs out and every can't find the CT 3 packs those are going to go quick.

I know who some of the scalpers are around here and they only come out when there's a bunch of stuff and they know it's out. Right now it's very hit and miss.

Like Josheee said if you leave out information and say PM me you have to be online to get the message. Otherwise someone will find it and it won't help anyone. The only way to know it's not a scalper is by getting to know them anyway.

The best thing is get to know some of the people in your area and exchange emails and phone numbers that works the best imo.

Bryan

Mr__Ackbar
08-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Darth-Bryan:
The best thing is get to know some of the people in your area and exchange emails and phone numbers that works the best imo. <font size="2" face="arial">I agree. The Chicago Fan Club has started a monthly collectors meeting (The Black Sun Collectors Club). That way we all get to know each other, and even better, we can pick stuff up for each other on our toy runs and hand it over when we meet.

There's only one problem: the vast majority of the people who attend the meetings are members of the fanclub, and don't hang out on the rebelscum boards. Similarly, when I posted that this club was starting up on the Chicagoland thread, none of the regular posters from that thread showed up. I'm trying to promote rebelscum at the Black Sun meetings and posting about the collectors club meetings here. Hopefully, if I keep promoting, we'll create a pretty awesome collector community in the Chicago area.

darth_egg
08-23-2003, 05:39 PM
thanks guys for all the good idea's again ..i think that ...a little bit of this and a little bit of that well make one good plan..so again a say thank you ..
your star wars pal egg