PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really like Padme?

04-19-2002, 10:08 PM
I just kind of realized that Padme is a lame character. She doesnt seem to have a personality at all, more like a plot mover. If she does have a personality it cannot be described as positive. The only real emotion we get out of this character from what I can remember in E1 is "Are you sure about this?... etc"

And from what I can tell in E2 she's a bit of an ogre as well. Also she falls in love with completely the wrong guy.

Angry_Ewok
04-19-2002, 10:12 PM
I hate to sound negative, but haven't you noticed that not too many characters in Episode 1 in general have much of a personality?

The only one I could 'feel' was Qui-Gon, Kenobi, and Nute Gunray...

As far as Padme....
Personally I feel OOM9 had more flavor than Padme.

ROGER ROGER! images/icons/shocked.gif

04-19-2002, 11:36 PM
boring, but she's smokin

Trev_Solo
04-20-2002, 12:25 AM
I agree with that Angry Ewok over there. images/icons/smile.gif Qui Gon and Palpatin were all that seemed to be alive in E1 to me.

I think Padme' is beautiful to look upon in all respects, and I think she will grow a bit in E2, as a character, but she isn't like any of the original trio at all. No one in E1 really is.

But look on the bright side, We get to see that beautiful woman Leia touches on at the end of ROTJ, it's no big deal if her character is fairly dull. images/icons/smile.gif

Obi-Wan, Dooku, and Palpatine should be really awesome in E2... I can't wait!

Trev

Inigo_Montoya
04-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Don't forget Watto, Sebulba and Palpatine, I think they've got quite a bit of personality

Inigo_Montoya
04-20-2002, 12:32 AM
Oh, but you know who had TONS of personality? Ric Olie. images/icons/rolleyes.gif That guy was such a joke.

04-20-2002, 12:43 AM
I don't think Ric Olie was meant to be anything more than a character who furthers the plot... like Wuher.

czahr
04-20-2002, 01:56 AM
I still think Jar Jar had more personality than anyone else in Episode I. I'm not joking either.

04-20-2002, 03:58 AM
jar jar had loads of personality. padme had a bit, but not as much.

images/icons/smile.gif

Sprry75
04-20-2002, 10:50 AM
I thought the same thing about Padme in TPM. I remember when I finally admitted to myself that the movie sucked: I was walking through a Costco, and they had TPM playing on all the TVs in their audio/video department. It was the scene where the Nubians and Jedi were asking Boss Nass for help. Natalies deadpan, monotone delivery of "IaskyoutohelpusnoIbegyoutohelpus" just turned me off.

However, in her defense, I read a recent interview with her where she said making Episode I sucked because she was the only teenager on the set, had no friends to hang around with, was filming inside a giant empty warehouse with a bunch of green and blue backdrops, and 90% of the time she had to wear fifty pound headgear. She said that although the working conditions were unpleasant, she felt really bad about her performance because she shouldn't have been so "unprofessional" as to let her discomfort come across on screen. She added that making AOTC was a much more pleasant experience, and she took her role much more seriously.

I thought that was a very mature thing to say, and her realization makes me more optimistic. After seeing her in Beautiful Girls and The Professiona, I know Natalie can act.

Angry_Ewok
04-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BobaFaid:
I don't think Ric Olie was meant to be anything more than a character who furthers the plot... like Wuher.<font size="2" face="arial">Plot?

BobaFaid whispers something into AngryEwok's good ear

Oh... that thing.

Darth_Broem
04-22-2002, 09:53 PM
I have to agree that the Padme character is one I don't really care for. I don't dislike her but I don't really care what happens to her either. She's kind of like an acquaintance that you know. You kind of talk but don't really care either way what happens to that person. You don't wish any harm though.
I can tune her out easily. She's like a girl that just kind of blabs along and you keep saying "uh-huh" so that you appear to be listening but not really.

Jedi_Master
04-23-2002, 09:33 AM
As far as Padme being boring, I think you have to remember that she is supposed to be the queen of an entire planet (at least the surface). On earth, that would be more powerful than the most powerful emporers (Caesar, Alexander, etc.).

I would expect someone with this much weight on their shoulders to be somewhat formal even when "out of costume." I think it is unnatural for such a person to blend with the rest of us. Look at Prince Charles for instance. I think Padme does quite well for the situation she is in.

I am also an enthusiastic fan of Natalie Portman's acting ability. It was one of the great casting decisions of the trilogy. I think we will finally get to see Padme showing more real emotion in AOTC. This is a very strong suit for Portman, who absolutely dazzles in both "The Professional" and "Beautiful Girls." Hopefully, she hasn't lost the magic.

BrianM
04-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master:
I think we will finally get to see Padme showing more real emotion in AOTC.<font size="2" face="arial">I hope we will finally get to see Padme showing some more skin in AOTC! images/icons/shocked.gif

I may not like her but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

04-23-2002, 02:31 PM
What's wrong with a quiet **** woman ? Would you rather have an ugly nag ?

GNT
04-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by augiebendoggi:
I hope we will finally get to see Padme showing some more skin in AOTC! images/icons/shocked.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Dont worry we will images/icons/wink.gif Anakins a very lucky person,to bad she dumped him and he turned to the dark side images/icons/wink.gif

Peter_Pantsless
04-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BobaFaid:

Also she falls in love with completely the wrong guy.<font size="2" face="arial">Who was she supposed to fall in love with?
Obi-Wan?
Jango?
YODA?

Findswoman
04-24-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by czahr:
I still think Jar Jar had more personality than anyone else in Episode I. I'm not joking either.<font size="2" face="arial">I actually agree. I thought he had way more personality than either of the two Jedi. And I draw your attention to the funeral scene towards the very end... who is the only person present who actually bows his head in respectful grief? Our favorite Gungan klutz himself. images/icons/grin.gif

As for Padmé, maybe she was a little bit bland (she admits so herself), but I liked her a bunch better than Leia, personality-wise--she was actually humble about her power, for one thing. Even when damped down a little by low morale, I like Natalie Portman's acting much better than Carrie Fisher's. Besides, I really drool over those archetypal mistress-and-maid-switcheroo things.

I can't wait to see her in Episode II! She'll be even better there, I'm sure!

... the Findswoman

captmiloman
05-12-2002, 06:07 AM
You have to respect an actress who admits that she could've performed better in a movie. Not to mention that Natallie's also going to college in between doing movies. From her interviews on TV and in print, she seems to be more grounded than alot of other people in show biz. As far as I can tell, the entertainment industry needs more people like her. Not to mention she's a very good looking young woman.

05-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by captmiloman:
You have to respect an actress who admits that she could've performed better in a movie. Not to mention that Natallie's also going to college in between doing movies. From her interviews on TV and in print, she seems to be more grounded than alot of other people in show biz. As far as I can tell, the entertainment industry needs more people like her. Not to mention she's a very good looking young woman.<font size="2" face="arial">I couldn't agree more with this statement. I think that she has come a long way, if she's only been in a handful of movies...it's not like she is jumping at every chance to make a new movie, unlike other "teen" actors and actresses. She seems to have made some very good choices for the movies she has done as well. I think that she was wonderful in "The Professional" and the "Where the Heart Is."

Darth_Broem
05-12-2002, 09:24 AM
I think she is a very attractive woman and can certainly act. I just don't really care for the Padme character yet. Like some people said she was only 14 in the first movie. Yeah, maybe she will show more emotion in AOTC. However, I do think Carrie Fisher had more personality in the OT than Portman does so far. Again, AOTC may change my mind.

05-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Be interesting to see this thread at this time just before ep3 comes out.(my guess is there will be many fans of Padme)I like seeing Padme fight and should be good in ep2.

Sprry75
05-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Like I said above, I have high hopes for Natalie's performance in AOTC.

She's a decent (not yet great) actress, she's got a good head on her shoulders, and, well,

http://www.small*****celebs.com/np/np_009.jpg

What else can I say?

[ 05-12-2002, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Sprry75 ]

Sith_Lord_Cosmo
05-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Mmmmm.....Padme :drool

musasa
05-13-2002, 10:20 AM
A number of my classmates have met her, but I never got the chance. In fact, one of my dormmates had a class with her this semester.

MisterPL
05-13-2002, 10:28 AM
She used to mow my lawn. Nice girl. Strong back.

musasa
05-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Kicker is, I'm not lying. She's a second year student at Harvard.