PDA

View Full Version : Something that bothered me...and you?

Loopy_Leia
03-30-2002, 02:04 PM
I wonder why she doesn't let her kid watch SW. I see nothing wrong with it. But, some parents have this view that if it's not real, don't watch it...hard to explain that one and I probably won't even touch it. I think the kid has to be allowed to have some sort of an imagination..geesh!

[ 03-30-2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Princess Leia ]

TwistedCustoms
03-30-2002, 02:24 PM
KEEP THE KIDS AWAY or 20 years from now they will be lurking in toy aisles muttering swear words as they look through POTF3 figures...and racing home to log onto the fan club to get the latest figure that they couldn't find.........save the kids now....

GNT
03-30-2002, 08:15 PM
Maybe the mother saw the films and remembered the following scenes:

Leia choking Jabba to death with her chains
The emperor being thrown down the shaft
Obi Wan dying
Qui Gon being stabbed in the heart
Maul being cut in half
Hands being cut off
Dead Own and beru

Not the best message being sent to a 6 year old is it?

Ty
03-30-2002, 09:01 PM
potj01: LOL

GNT: Worked on us.. can't be that bad images/icons/wink.gif

GNT
03-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ry-T:
GNT: Worked on us.. can't be that bad images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">It would be bad if you cut someones hand off to recreate some Star Wars scenes or throw someone down a shaft images/icons/smile.gif

musasa
03-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Sigh, I know. The last time I walked by a Sarlaac Pit, I had this dark urge to throw the poor chap inside... images/icons/tongue.gif

Capntarpals
03-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Ah, phooey! I was four or five years old when I first saw Star Wars, and I loved it.

Try this one; seeing little kids attracted to the comic shop and hearing their parental units telling them, "No, no, that store's for adults"
OR
"..Dungeons and Dragons AND/OR Magic:The Gathering are satanic"

Star Wars is the least of those kid's problems.
Being raised by a Hutt, well....

03-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Capntarpals:

Star Wars is the least of those kid's problems.
Being raised by a Hutt, well....<font size="2" face="arial">LOL, maybe her mom knew what his son was getting into when he grew up, spending thousands on a MOC Vlix instead of sending his children to college. Waking up early every morning to beat the scalpers to th enearest Target...

Sprry75
03-30-2002, 10:39 PM
The answer is simple: It's pretty clear she was a Hutt, and simply didn't care for the way her species was portrayed in the films.

That's why I have to change the channel every time Ralph Wiggum comes on "The Simpsons." Some things just hit a little too close to home for some of us.

Jango_Fettish
03-30-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:

Obi Wan dying
Maul being cut in half
Hands being cut off
Dead Own and beru

Not the best message being sent to a 6 year old is it?<font size="2" face="arial">Good point and well taken. If they even allowed to watch TV though, I think hearing of people walking into public establishments and blowing themselves up puts pseudo-graphic SW scenes to shame. images/icons/frown.gif

bobafett14
03-31-2002, 01:30 AM
I was in a comic store the other day, and two kids around 6 yrs. old were picking out comics to buy. Thier mother(picture Jabba the Hutt in jewlery) was telling them to stick to the $.50 bin.
One of the kids asked the other if he liked SW? I laughed and as I was walking past, said to the kid "that's what I like" and showed him the 2 comics I had in my hand. To which the sorry excuse for a mother exclaimed "I don't allow him to watch SW"

Now why in gods name is a parent banning her kid from watching SW? For the love of god SW is about the cleanest, purest GD movie that a kid could watch these days. God, I want to kill some of these parents today for just being plain stupid.(of course my shrink told me my urge to kill stems from the trsh compactor scene in "A new Hope")

Anyhow, I can't be too upset, wait til that kid grows older and realizes all that he's missed(not just SW) and lashes back. Hehe...stupid stupid parents

Jango_Fettish
03-31-2002, 01:45 AM
Makes me wonder why they were in a comic shop in the first place. I mean, it's either SW..or Spawn..or a superhero as neutral as SW to begin with. images/icons/confused.gif

Trev_Solo
03-31-2002, 03:55 AM
It bugs me so. I hear this all the time, and I by no means have any place to question someone's parenting I guess... I'm still being 'parented' myself. images/icons/smile.gif

but I can share my opinions. My parents have let me watch what I want ever since I can remember, and for that I've shaped myself into someone I ,dare say, I love being.

Film has given me SO much insperation and life. SW especially. Man, where would I be without it? not far, I can tell you that much.

I know I'll be giving my children every chance to see films, because of how deeply I'm connected with them. I'll let them decide if it's any good. images/icons/smile.gif

That poor 6 year old, I'm sure he'll rebel from the dreaded empire though... bad analogy? images/icons/grin.gif

Trev

Jedi_Idej
03-31-2002, 04:24 AM
I wish my parents exercised a little more skill in my upbringing. My mom took me to see "The Exorcist" when I was 6 and a few years later, allowed my cousin to take me to watch "Omen". Traumatized me for years. images/icons/frown.gif

And then they stopped buying me toys. True enough, potj01, 19 years later I was scouring the aisles in TRU for SW toys. images/icons/blush.gif

03-31-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Capntarpals:

"..Dungeons and Dragons AND/OR Magic:The Gathering are satanic"
<font size="2" face="arial">LOL oh man I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read that. I used to work at a gaming quazi novilty RPG store and I had to explain on almost a daily basis that D&D in not "satanic" you "do not have to dress up and actually DO the spells.....unless you are in a LARP" haha well mabye not the last part...but that is backlash form late 70's early 80's wave when it first hit, YET ITS STILL AROUND!! I have a theroy actually...
My theroy is...Skinner likes dog food...
WHOOPS! Sorry....
My theroy is that the chrisitan channel MUST show that lame early 80's TV movie with Tom Hanks about the DANGERS of role playing....especially in caves, and with people in wheelchairs.
I kid you not...I even had to deal with it comming from my own mother when I wanted to play the orginial SW RPG back in '88....

...ohhh a fresh batch of America *****...
(sorry watching a tape now images/icons/smile.gif )

187_Maul
03-31-2002, 07:47 PM
I saw SW when I was 6 or so and even saw alien by the age of 7 or so - never hurt me though...still sane...at least that's what mesa thinkin'... images/icons/smile.gif

steve_howard
03-31-2002, 09:02 PM
watching star wars is no worse than watching the evening news or cnn. images/icons/grin.gif

Trev_Solo
03-31-2002, 09:28 PM
Absolutely Steve Howard!

Trev

Zuckuss44
03-31-2002, 09:46 PM
You made my spit out my Dr. Pepper when I read "imagine Jabba in jewelry."

You've made my day all the happier.....

images/icons/grin.gif

DarthPickles
03-31-2003, 04:37 PM
It's a FINE family film... if you're living in 1977.

Except for the horrible acting, the lame dialogue, the outdated visual effects, and the weak storyline, Star Wars is pretty much harmless. (Aside from the decapitations, amputations, dismemberments, random carnage, gratuitous ****** innuendo and class stereotyping, of course.)

Carrie_M
03-31-2003, 04:49 PM
I grew up watching not only SW, but all sorts of other sci-fi and horror movies. I was never really scared by them that I can recall, especially when I was a young child, because I really didn't understand what was going on in the films anyway. I think I turned out quite well (healthy ego intact images/icons/wink.gif ), but most would say that my tastes in a lot of things runs a little (or a lot) wild. I guess it would depend on who's making the judgement, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

JoshEEE
03-31-2003, 04:54 PM
My sister won't let my nephews watch Star Wars. I bought the movies for them last year, and she still hasn't let them see the movies. I mentioned they are only PG...but you know WHY she's not letting them see them?

Because...when she was a kid, she said some of the parts of the movies scared her.

AAAAGH.

Insane_Wok
03-31-2003, 06:04 PM
There were these people at Target looking at video games with there kids, and one kid pointed out Metriod Fusion and told them that it was "E" but the stupid mom is like "It doesn't look E to me it looks more like T or M." But the box clearly said "E". Stupid morons. images/icons/mad.gif

JoshEEE
03-31-2003, 06:07 PM
There were these people at Target looking at video games with there kids, and one kid pointed out Metriod Fusion and told them that it was "E" but the stupid mom is like "It doesn't look E to me it looks more like T or M." But the box clearly said "E". Stupid morons. <font size="2" face="arial">Metroid is "E"? Really? See...if I was a parent and I read that the game had aliens, and your goal was shooting them...I don't know, I could see being a little cautious. Some parents just don't want their kids playing at war. My sister will let my nephews play Mario, but not soldier games like Halo. Which is too bad, because Halo ROCKS. images/icons/grin.gif

Insane_Wok
03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JoshEEE:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial"> There were these people at Target looking at video games with there kids, and one kid pointed out Metriod Fusion and told them that it was "E" but the stupid mom is like "It doesn't look E to me it looks more like T or M." But the box clearly said "E". Stupid morons. <font size="2" face="arial">Metroid is "E"? Really? See...if I was a parent and I read that the game had aliens, and your goal was shooting them...I don't know, I could see being a little cautious. Some parents just don't want their kids playing at war. My sister will let my nephews play Mario, but not soldier games like Halo. Which is too bad, because Halo ROCKS. images/icons/grin.gif </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Give me a break..... images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Jedi_Knight
03-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Most of us saw it when we were 5 or 6 and look how we truned out.
images/icons/frown.gif Ok bad analogy.

JoshEEE
03-31-2003, 06:51 PM
Give me a break..... <font size="2" face="arial">Give you a break about which part? You think a 10 year old and a 7 year old should be playing Halo?

Or...maybe you were talking about Metroid. I don't know what you were responding to since you didn't elaborate.

03-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Stupid parents. lol.

Anyhoo, this is a little off the point ( maybe), my guidence counslar(SP) has a daughter, who is married and have a new born. So my counslar tells me that her daughter does not allow no t.v and does not want her child to be expose to t.v. images/icons/rolleyes.gif Jeez , I would kill myself if my life were to be protected by over-reacted parents!

Look at me, I saw The Terminator , aliens , predator and SW when I was the age of 5 an I even saw the *** scene in the terminator but am I scarred for life? no I am perfectly normal even though I would reinteact my favorist scene from movies all the time in my room, privatly. images/icons/wink.gif

Insane_Wok
03-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JoshEEE:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial"> Give me a break..... <font size="2" face="arial">Give you a break about which part? You think a 10 year old and a 7 year old should be playing Halo?

Or...maybe you were talking about Metroid. I don't know what you were responding to since you didn't elaborate. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">I was talking about how you didn't know if you would let your kids play something that is E.

JosephY
03-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:

Obi Wan dying
Maul being cut in half
Hands being cut off
Dead Own and beru

Not the best message being sent to a 6 year old is it? <font size="2" face="arial">I was 7 when SW first came out, I saw it well over a dozen times in the first year it was out, and I turned out just fine.....LOL

But seriously, at 7 I knew the difference between reality and fantasy, real death and violence, and tv or movie death and violence. In todays world especially, keeping kids in the dark to the difference makes them ill equipt to live in the real world when they get older. If she was concerned with them perhaps getting the wrong message from SW's more graphicly violent scenes, she could have watched it with them and explained that the people weren't really dying etc... It's called PARENTING, too many parents feel that if they just block something the child will never ask about it...And IF the child does ask about it they'll hope that the child asks a teacher, IF they don't like the response the teacher gives, they'll raise hell over it, MAYBE if they either payed attention to thier children & took the time to instill right/wrong and real/fake into thier children, OR didn't breed in the first place!! the world would be a much better place. I NEVER want children, and even I know that this is the wrong way to go about raising a child.

Cheers
Joseph

[ 03-31-2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: JosephY ]

Andy_R
03-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by bobafett14:
I was in a comic store the other day, and two kids around 6 yrs. old were picking out comics to buy. Thier mother(picture Jabba the Hutt in jewlery) was telling them to stick to the $.50 bin.
One of the kids asked the other if he liked SW? I laughed and as I was walking past, said to the kid "that's what I like" and showed him the 2 comics I had in my hand. To which the sorry excuse for a mother exclaimed "I don't allow him to watch SW"

Now why in gods name is a parent banning her kid from watching SW? For the love of god SW is about the cleanest, purest GD movie that a kid could watch these days. God, I want to kill some of these parents today for just being plain stupid.(of course my shrink told me my urge to kill stems from the trsh compactor scene in "A new Hope")

Anyhow, I can't be too upset, wait til that kid grows older and realizes all that he's missed(not just SW) and lashes back. Hehe...stupid stupid parents <font size="2" face="arial">This was in Pennsylvania? Maybe they were Amish and they don't watch anything, period. images/icons/wink.gif

-Andy R

03-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bobafett14:

Anyhow, I can't be too upset, wait til that kid grows older and realizes all that he's missed(not just SW) and lashes back. Hehe...stupid stupid parents <font size="2" face="arial">Maybe Darth Vader will give the tikes nightmares would be my first guess?

JJKS
03-31-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Master Chief:

Look at me, I even saw the *** scene in the terminator but am I scarred for life? I would reinteact my favorist scene from movies all the time in my room, privatly. images/icons/wink.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Were you the Terminator in those privately acted scenes?