PDA

View Full Version : Letterman or Leno???

Mr_Stimp
08-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Letterman

08-30-2001, 01:34 PM
I prefer Conan the most.....but Leno is next! BTW I hate Letterman band leader, he is a bafoon! Personally I think Letterman is stupid!

------------------
When 900 years old you reach, look as good you won't - Yoda

[This message has been edited by GasganoMan (edited 08-30-2001).]

08-30-2001, 01:37 PM
Letterman gets my vote. Leno's funny sometimes, but Dave always makes me laugh.

08-30-2001, 01:59 PM
The only times I'll watch Leno is when he has a guest I really want to see, like Kevin Smith. Otherwise I think the man is a piece of crap. I've always liked Letterman, but no one can hold a candle to Conan, even without Andy.

So to answer the question: Letterman. I love it when he works the drive-thrus at fast food places. "You want the big *** burrito?" http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
Toy Reviews and more! czahr.semonic.com (http://czahr.semonic.com)

Old_Cocky
08-30-2001, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but no one can hold a candle to Conan, even without Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the sad thing, even without Andy Conan kicks the crap out of both of them. The interplay betwixt Andy and Conan was comedy genius.

So who the hell watches Leno??? Old people???

08-30-2001, 02:28 PM
Dave Letterman- He's just wittier, and even when he's being a jerk, he's still funny.

Plus he's from my city (Indianapolis) and attended one of my colleges (Ball State)

------------------
This is the face of a woman on the edge.

Capt_Fantastic
08-30-2001, 07:34 PM
Neither actually. I try not to stare directly at horribly ugly people for long periods of time. I could go blind. Besides, I could deal with them being hideous if they were even remotely funny or entertaining. Now, Ed McMahon, I love me some Ed McMahon

08-30-2001, 09:30 PM
I'm going to go against what everyone else has said and say Leno....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OCB:
I have never seen how people can watch Leno. He is the most unfunny person on the planet and his lowbrow humor is just tiresome. Leno's band is awful playing the same awful riffs for every joke for the past twenty years. Kevin Eubanks laughs at every bad joke in the world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say the exact opposite. Letterman's humor is very lowbrow. He's the only one that laughs at most of his jokes. And if he happens to have a good joke (happens about once a month) he hammers on that same joke for a dam week...

08-30-2001, 10:11 PM
I have to agree with the majority and say I love Letterman and Conan. I haven't watched Letterman though since I have HBO comedy, they play Mr. Show repeats at midnight, which blow everything else away in the comedy department. Conan has always been my favorite, as a matter of fact I'm watching him right now, Weezer plays tonight, I think this is the 3rd time I saw this episode, Conan is just that good http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif.

Log
08-30-2001, 11:33 PM
Letterman is the man. I love how he jokingly harasses people at fast food joints, does the little flashback sketches, has Biff do crazy things, and has Rupert from the Hello Deli talk crap to people.

I wish Letterman would get back to being totally nuts though. Seeing as how I love goofy and non-sensical humor, I loved it when Letterman would drop watermelons off the roof of a building or when he'd send a man dressed in a bear suit to a strip club to see if he could get in, or when he would break TVs for the hell of it, that stuff was classic material.

What's Leno got going for him? Headlines and Jaywalking? BIG yawn. His jokes suck and the bit he always does during Headlines regarding goofy names of people who just got married is annoying.

Old_Cocky
08-31-2001, 12:08 AM
A question that has plagued mankind since the beginning of time...which late night host do you prefer? (This is taking nothing away from the hands down run away winner Conan O'Brien)

Letterman for me wins in a landslide. I have never seen how people can watch Leno. He is the most unfunny person on the planet and his lowbrow humor is just tiresome. Leno's band is awful playing the same awful riffs for every joke for the past twenty years. Kevin Eubanks laughs at every bad joke in the world. Jays bits are rip offs of things that have been done before and to top it all of the worst things ever on TV "The Dancing Ito's"

Letterman is witty and very intellegent. He isn't afraid to go after people, he is better at improving. Paul is a wonderful band host and sidekick. The Top 10 list, the stupid pet and human tricks, Biff Henderson. Dave rules, Jay sucks...

08-31-2001, 12:13 AM
Arsenio Hall

------------------
"Wrrow Ggrawww! Wgraaw roww roo-raaaw!"
-Ponda Baba

08-31-2001, 12:20 AM
Letterman.

Redgek
08-31-2001, 12:23 AM
I have no use for Leno. The way he acts when he's interviewing the attractive young starlets is embarrassing. Not funny.

I'm a big Conan and Dave fan.

darth_yoda
08-31-2001, 12:25 AM
What about Chevy Chase and Magic Johnson. They were on forever in dog years. I also gotta go with Letterman, especially when Richard Simmons is on, those are some of the funniest moments I've seen.

mosnab
08-31-2001, 12:45 AM
I would also have to go with Letterman. I think both hosts are pretty good guys, but Letterman's skits and material are great. Just my kind of humor I guess, but I would have to say Letterman is better IMO.

------------------
Happy collecting!

mosnab

George - "So she's using the speed dial as some sort of relationship barometer?"
Kramer - "Its pronounced thermometer" :)

Sith_Lord_Cosmo
08-31-2001, 12:45 AM
Definetly Letterman. Leno is just a big chined schmuck.

------------------
"It was the most I ever threw up, and it changed my life forever."
-Homer Simpson
check out my webpage http://crackhouse.8k.com

08-31-2001, 12:58 AM
On rare occasions when I watch late night, I usually drift asleep during Leno and Letterman. The only show I stsy up for is Conan. I love watching his show. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
http://members.hometown.aol.com/tripleeh667/images/tripleh.bmp

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 05:45 AM
Letterman and Leno both bore me to tears. Letterman doesn't give a crap if his bits are funny or if a gag doesn't go anywhere, so his quality writing is lost in a sea of fecal matter; but Leno's so afraid to offend anybody that he rarely goes anywhere worth watching.

Even most of Conan's weakest bits are 5 times more watchable than Letterman, Leno, or the other poseurs to the late night throne like Bill Maher, Craig Kill-joke... I mean, Kilborn, or poor Jillian Barberie and her boring "The Test" on FX (the cable station that doesn't really exist). I think only Jon Stewart & The Daily Show is really up to snuff with Conan, TDS followed by Conan is a fine way to kill time after 11pm when all you have is a TV and basic cable.

------------------
"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Attack of the Clones." - ANH:NE

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, POTJ

08-31-2001, 07:31 AM
Neither, I watch SportsCenter.

------------------
Do you feel lucky punk, well, do you?

Zuckuss44
08-31-2001, 08:32 AM
I like Leno's headlines, but I usually head back to Letterman after that, unless I'm not watching either, and getting my beauty sleep http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
"Hold on to your butts." Ray Arnold-Jurassic Park

PodRacer_X
08-31-2001, 11:15 AM
I'm too old and lame to stay up that late anymore. That and I have to get up at 6:00 in the morning.

Back in the day, though, I found Letterman infinitely more appealing than Leno. He's lost his edge according to most folks I talk to, so I guess I'm not missing anything. If you really want to laugh your head off check out "Whose Line is it Anyway?" It's not topical, but it sounds like most of you folks tune in for laughs anyway.

Old_Cocky
08-31-2001, 11:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If you really want to laugh your head off check out "Whose Line is it Anyway?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed...hands down the funniest show on TV (Network TV that is)...cable has far better alternatives

Log
08-31-2001, 01:25 PM
"Whose Line Is It Anyway?" is great. I don't watch the ABC version but the version from England on Comedy Central is hilarious most of the time.

JT, you brought up a good point with The Daily Show. I don't watch that show too often but when I do, I always come close to busting a gut. Gotta love ******** hosts http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

floppy_hat_jon
08-31-2001, 04:02 PM
Personally, I think Space Ghost is the best talk show host out there right now.

09-01-2001, 09:27 PM
Back a long time ago in the mid 80s was when David Letterman set the standard for great talk show viewing. He's just a shadow of he once was IMO though. Connan is probably the front runner now.

CW

The_Clone_Ranger
09-02-2001, 10:57 AM
Hogan's Heroes.

All talk shows are low-browed compared to this classic on TVLand! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

------------------
(The new and impoved Darth Larth!)

Hi ho Jango, away!!

09-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Definately Letterman. I've watched since the beginning and he still amuses me. Rupert with the hidden camera kills me.

Leno, on the other hand, I could be on that show and I still wouldn't watch it.

09-09-2001, 01:41 PM
Vicki Lawrence http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
"Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."

SpaceGhost2K
09-09-2001, 02:21 PM
The best show is mine. Watch it, or the bug gets it. Heck, the bug gets it, anyway.... Hey, Zo-rrrrak? ***ZzZAaPPP!*

Seriously, though, I know marketing, and Late Night TV is all about Marketing. Who's marketing their new movie? Who's marketing their new CD? Who's marketing their new TV Show? It's not about entertainment, or humor... it's about people plugging their wares.

Now, MY show. Hey! We got Andy D!ck and Steve Allen! Before he died. And Hanson! I loved them! And my grandpa, and the tooth fairy and Santa Claus and the Bobcat. Who does Leno get, hm? Mel Gibson? Blah! Jennifer Anniston? MRS. BRADLEY PITT? Yawn. That makes her Jenny Pitt. Fitting, don'tcha think?

09-10-2001, 01:46 PM
no question, Conan followed closly by TDS(Louis Black is hallarious!!!!!!!!)
Leterman used to be really good until he lost his old director or something. Biff is the only thing I can watch on that show now.
He and Jay both have that annoying thing about repeating a 'punchline' over and over and over.....
the only thing I like about Jay is Howie Mandell's hidden video(and MAYBE headlines(except 'weddings')/Jaywalking)I cant stand Paul,Kevin,Edd Hall,Angela, or Alan Kalter(sp?)or 'Actual, real video' or lame props
Its really sad, cause I used to really like both of them. When jay first started, I used to think he put Carson to shame,but after seeing the commercial for the 'Best of Carson',I now think Leno is perfect.....
FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrgonk
09-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Well to me Conan O'Brien is by far the best. I'd definitely choose Letterman over Leno, mainly because Leno's such a shameless spineless *** kisser

------------------
"Gonk...gonk gonkestia kohje"

http://www.joerenzetti.com

hansloroll
08-31-2003, 12:23 AM
I am only fond of Conan these days.I have lost all interest in either Letterman or Leno.I must admit that I am in no position to answer as I rarely watch much late night TV.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
08-31-2003, 12:27 AM
Conan

i_like_yoda
08-31-2003, 12:56 AM
Leno sucks. Conan's good.

But letterman stands out. He's got a classy form of comedy. He rarely uses cliche celebrity jokes. He's got better skits and games and such. His guests are always pretty good, too. He's the man. images/icons/smile.gif

Jediknight760071
08-31-2003, 12:58 AM
Well...between letterman and leno...I watch leno because of my dedication to NBC, I've grown up on leno, I like the monologue and special segment...and he gets great guests...but sucks at interviewing them...I really didn't like the way he treated the fab 5...

Conan will always be way better than anyone though...
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQDnAvYTZJj8aod6jhXXmGkWX5rOFU*q2Rw2piQN9JJl8hsn6 Qs0ydZmfwZ6uMrHMm45BXCOhRm9ker0DGhsgbS9KQ0w5oY7K*G 5!9PR!4c/rtg.jpg?dc=4675413157006769082

Jediknight760071
08-31-2003, 01:00 AM
But letterman stands out. He's got a classy form of comedy. He rarely uses cliche celebrity jokes. He's got better skits and games and such. His guests are always pretty good, too. He's the man.
<font size="2" face="arial">True...He is very classy...loved his interview of Natalie Portman...I hate saturdays and Sundays.

Darth_Big_Boy
08-31-2003, 06:32 AM
Letterman

ScoundreI
08-31-2003, 09:14 AM
Conan O'Brein...but he has not been as good since Andy left images/icons/frown.gif

john_todd
08-31-2003, 07:38 PM
i just wish dave would throw stuff off buildings again. that was such a classic bit.

i haven't really cared for any of the late night stuff since letterman went to cbs. he lost some of his edge. i used to really love it when he would just lay into a guest if they were dumb or boring. his feuds with the likes of cher or madonna were great.

i_like_yoda
08-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by john todd™:
i just wish dave would throw stuff off buildings again. that was such a classic bit. <font size="2" face="arial">I loved that! I think the chocolate pudding was the best. images/icons/grin.gif

Loopy_Leia
08-31-2003, 10:40 PM
I like Letterman better than Leno. He is funnier and plus, he has better guests on his show. At least I think so IMO. Also, the Top 10 list is hilarious!

captmiloman
09-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Dave all the way. I still say he should've gotten The Tonight Show after Johnny left. Leno's too much of a suck up. Dave seems like the type of guy who gives his guests and other people who appear on his show a hard time because he honestly likes them.