PDA

View Full Version : Magic of Myth is Incredible!

darthsmithers
03-15-2001, 11:17 PM
My wife and I just got back from the Magic of Myth exhibit here in Houston, where we also attended a lecture by Doug Chang. He was extremely nice and funny, but someone from Lucasfilm was there telling him he couldn't answer certain questions. However, he showed us how he came up with the various concepts for EP1, and described his interaction with George Lucas. He said that Lucas had an amazing ability to see in a matter of seconds what will work visually and what won't, and that he's almost always right. He talked a lot about animal imagery, and he said that the main thing he tried to do is take something familiar and put it in a totally unfamiliar context. One of the funniest things he said what that people have pointed out that the from on the Trade Federation troop transport looks like the lid of a toilet.

As for the Exhibit, it was simply stunning. Their were models from the original trilogy in all sizes and tons of costumes. Boba Fett was particularly impressive. Some little kid just stood in front of him saying "Boba Fett" over and over, with this serious look on his face.
I especially liked the original storyboards from SW, ESB, and ROTJ. They were amazingly detailed and contained instructions for camerawork and special effects.
Anyone else who's seen this exhibit, please post!

03-16-2001, 01:57 AM
I saw it last year in Minnesota. Simply fantastic. I'd be great if it would make a second tour, I'd love to see it again. There needs to be a Star Wars museum where all this stuff (and more) would be permanantly on display. I would definately make a road trip to go through it.

------------------
"Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer." -Tom Robbins

[This message has been edited by 3rdalien (edited 03-16-2001).]

03-16-2001, 07:00 AM
darthsmithers...

I actually went to see the exhibit the day it opened to the public, and put serious consideration into dressing up, in fact my cloak and saber came with me, but I decided against it. And actually went to that lecture by Doug Chaing too. I loved being able to meet someone behind the scenes! And I got him to sign my little book that came with the widescreen video!

My thought is, how many of these has he done? He seemed surprised by the turnout, which filled the hall as well as people sitting on the stairs and standing on top. I was expecting about that many myself.

April 12, 7:00 - Ian McCaig! I'll be there!

------------------
Knight Aiacha Teia-Kyto
Knight and Jedi Merchant
http://www.geocities.com/aiacha_teia_kyto/tatooine.jpg

[This message has been edited by Aiacha (edited 03-16-2001).]

rmschneider104
03-16-2001, 10:56 AM
I've seen this exhibit both in DC and in Chicago. It is indeed a great way to celebrate Star Wars and all that has gone into it.

I love the idea of having nothing but a Star Wars museum. Heck, we are already close to having one... Stephen Sansweet's collection in his remodeled barn and the Lucasfilm Archives. Now if they would just open them up to the public!

And while we are at it, let's start offering tours and wine testing at Skywalker Ranch.

03-16-2001, 11:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rmschneider104:

And while we are at it, let's start offering tours and wine testing at Skywalker Ranch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about tours and blue milk tasting? http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Dax
03-16-2001, 02:08 PM
Well from what I heard at least a portion of the Magic of Myth tour is supposed to be coming down under to coincide with the release of Episode 2 and will be displayed here at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

Dax

Sprry75
03-16-2001, 02:44 PM
Some of these posts have refreshed an idea I had while at Disneyland over New Year's....

Instead of just a museum, why not an entire Star Wars themed amusement park? Seriously, Just like Disneyland has those "museums" on Main Street USA, they could put all of these cool artifacts from the films on display. And the rides...just think of the rides they could do! And they could set it up the same way Disneyland does, with the various lands. Except instead of Tomorrowland and Frontierland and stuff, you'd have one "land" that was Tatooine with Jabba, the Lars homestead, Jawas, and the Sarlaac Pit/Skiff ride. You could do a land for Hoth, for Naboo, Endor...you get the idea. I know I'd pay $50 a day to get in.

mousedroid
03-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Would there be monkeys?

I'd go if there were monkeys.

03-16-2001, 10:06 PM
I made a special trip to DC just to see it. Tried to also get into the Senate to see some of the impeachment hearings on the same trip but that was impossible since those guys NEVER work. I was glad to see it at the Smithsonian but I feel like I need to see it again now because everytime I read about it I hear about some 'new' thing thats been added for the most recent location.

03-17-2001, 01:36 AM
uhm...
How about sending the tour to Europe first before thinking about a second run in the states?
Now that would rock http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif
No offens intended here people !!!
I've read (rumours?) of the tour coming here next year but I'm affraid when the actual dates are getting close they will cancel the entire thing again.
Anyone know anything about that?

------------------
"So be it........jedi"

[This message has been edited by The_Emp (edited 03-16-2001).]

GNT
08-12-2002, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by driley:
Well from what I heard at least a portion of the Magic of Myth tour is supposed to be coming down under to coincide with the release of Episode 2 and will be displayed here at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

Dax<font size="2" face="arial">A bit late for EP2 isn't it? images/icons/tongue.gif Anyway it'll soon be here + it'll have props from AOTC which is great,I can't wait to see the speeders and execution cart thing images/icons/smile.gif sweet images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif