PDA

View Full Version : Whats the dumbest star wars thing you bought?

INFAMY_OF_CRETE
10-02-2000, 07:08 PM
Ok first let me preface this by saying I don't mean to offend anyone(well it sounds good anyway). I just want to know exactly what item you couldn't live with out, and now you say to yourself what the hell was I thinking.

Mine was actually recently. I bought that inflatable Maul thinking I was going to lounge in the pool with it all summer long. I took it once and felt like a hugeass SW geek the whole day. I popped the thing and never looked back! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Forum Moderator
Wuher's Cantina, POTJ, Shows & Conventions
INFAMYOFCRETE@collectstarwars.com

Redgek
10-02-2000, 07:39 PM
May 3rd, 1999. Commtech Reader. 'Nuff said.

Trev_Solo
10-02-2000, 08:06 PM
Hmm, that is a tuff q. I'd have to disagree with the commtech reader being the dumbest, only because I had an absolute blast making fun of the voices! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

Ok, back to the point, I'de have to say the dumbest thing I have ever bought would be.... <drum roll> <drum roll>

RESCULPTS

Yes, I know, many to almost all of the resculpts are far superior(sp?) than the first versions, but it is dumb that I pay my hard earned cash for these figures I already have 10 versions of. I've been bitten by the damn SW Collecting bug, and there is no cure. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

TREV

PS-By the way, even though I stomp my foot every time I buy another resculpt, I tend to love them like all the others. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

------------------
"I collect Action figures. My action figures collect dust."

Qui_Tom_Jinn
10-02-2000, 08:32 PM
Almost all of my SW purchares are figures, so I would say the most of the Princess Leia collection and the first wave of flashback figures.

------------------
(Rubbing hands together in a Burns-like manner)

"Excellent!"

10-02-2000, 09:26 PM
I may get flamed for this, but the Star Wars Trivial Prusiut Game. At first, I was excited just to have it, then I noticed the cheapness of the card stock, and the fact that the "trivia" was not interesting, or challenging... I returned it, and got something else. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif I think that they are veryyy cheap to find now.

SpaceGhost2K
10-02-2000, 10:02 PM
An Orange Carded Lando Calrissian, for the meager price of $35.00. R2 w/ Holo Leia buyers, beware... completist disease sucks.

apokolips
10-02-2000, 10:52 PM
Mine was the Darth Maul inflatable chair too! It was TRU Midnight Madness. My wife was pretty excited too, tossing things in the basket such as Battle Bags and the DM inflatable chair. I really didn't want it, but I wasn't going to spoil the fun by saying so.

The next day, we started to inflate it. We took turns. It took hours. When it started to take shape, our Yorkie started eyeing it and pacing. When it was finished, Bosco (our Yorkie) started snarling visciously at it, barking "It's the Devil!" at us. I tried sitting him on the chair to show him it was safe and he started squirming and snapping. We left it for a day to see if he'd get used to it, but he only got brave enough to pee on it. We deflated it and packed it up until we trade Bosco in for an Agnostic dog.

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, BHC Forums
POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolipsSSG@webtv.net

mousedroid
10-03-2000, 05:49 AM
Star Wars toothpaste. Ugh. 'nuff said.

------------------
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.

10-03-2000, 08:12 AM
Do they make agnostic dogs?

Allie_Fox
10-03-2000, 08:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mousedroid:
Star Wars toothpaste. Ugh. 'nuff said.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Galactic mint flavor?!?

I feel your pain.

Phil
10-03-2000, 09:01 AM
My four year old son brushes with R2-D2 toothpaste every day! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

10-03-2000, 09:46 AM
My finacee bought me some 'endor moon' scented Darth Maul body wash. It's still in my bathroom cabinet too.

10-03-2000, 02:44 PM
Anybody buy any of that Episode I "Battle Bag" crap??? Hasbro LOADED up on those puppies for May 3 and you can now get 'em for $1 a piece (or cheaper!) I skipped them for myself.

One day during the "dark times" of collecting Episode I (this June) I bought Opee w/ Qui-Gon for $5. That toy could SUCK a golfball thru a vaccuum hose! I used Qui-Gon for custom fodder and gave my Opee away to a 4 year old who just LOVED "that mean fish" that Uncle Tom kept with his SW stuff.

RocketFett
10-05-2000, 08:45 AM
For me it was the POTF2 R5-D4 figure. I wanted it so bad then I saw how terribly it was made. I could live without it definitely. I got it for $2.00 and hated spending that on it. I only got it because it existed. Then I got the Orange Carded one and Green Carded one without HG sticker for $3.00 and $6.00 because they were different cards and I want a complete collection of POTF2 figures, but the R5-D4 is still the dumbest Star Wars thing I've ever bought. I bought it because it existed and for no other reason.

------------------
Please visit my homepage at http://freeweb.pdq.net/nighthawk/starwars.htm and please go join All Advantage at http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=GIE-882 if you have time. They pay you for surfing the net! Free money for figures! :) It really works. Thanks.

10-05-2000, 02:22 PM
I would say mine is a copy of "The Star Wars Holiday Special".

I remember seeing this on tv,then saw it at a convention,bought it,rushed home to get that same feeling I did when I was 10,popped it in the VCR & thought......

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING WHEN I WAS 10 http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

INFAMY_OF_CRETE
10-05-2000, 03:21 PM
I would have to say So far Senator Chev Roa wins.
The Reason he knowingly spent money on something he knew was crap, and furthermore, probably made his family and friends watch it with him.

I deem Senator Chev Biggest Star Wars geek at BHC, or just incredibly wasteful with money. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
Forum Moderator
Wuher's Cantina, POTJ, Shows & Conventions
INFAMYOFCRETE@collectstarwars.com

Darth_Kenobi
10-05-2000, 08:52 PM
The dumbest starwars thing I bought would probabley be either the Jar Jar Binks 3D scupture(sp) or the toothpaste and tooth brushes I bought.

10-06-2000, 04:05 PM
I would like to thank INFAMY OF CRETE for my fabulous(sp?) award. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

You are right about the SW Geek part,but if my wife were on here she would say you were right on both accounts http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif.

Darthmatthew
10-09-2000, 04:49 AM
I have brought both of the ewok movies, and the holiday special.

Qui_Tom_Jinn
10-09-2000, 03:20 PM
Damn, I forgot about the Ewok movies. That tops the list.

------------------
(Rubbing hands together in a Burns-like manner)

"Exactly. D'oh!

JediPadawan
06-09-2002, 10:34 AM
All of those Episode 1 Pepsi cans. I have all of 'em except for Mace Windu. images/icons/frown.gif

Oh, and *BUMP*! images/icons/grin.gif

JJKS
06-09-2002, 11:12 AM
this qualifies as a "where are they now" post!

JediPadawan
06-09-2002, 11:20 AM
I love reviving all these old topics! images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

bibfortuna
06-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Jar Jar watch in the clear lightsaber-esque container

Jar Jar vinyl "figure" from J.C. Penny.

My wife wanted both of those. When we were moving stuff around a week or so ago, we both looked at each other and said "WHAT were we THINKING?"

Rob

zigga94
06-09-2002, 11:58 AM
remember when E1 came out and pizza hut, taco bell, and KFC were doin the promotional thing. yea i'm not sayin i wish i didn't buy the food, cause that was worth it, but now i'm stuck with boxes and all sorts of crap that just take up space....the posters, and cup tops are sweet thou.
but i don't know why i'm still holdin on to old ***** pizza and taco boxes??? images/icons/confused.gif i believe i still have the LAYS and Dortito bags from E1, empty of course, but still why am i holdin on to these??? does anyone think that they will be of any use to me???

wampa_ems
06-09-2002, 01:11 PM
My grandma bought me star wars shampoo once.

Findswoman
06-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Wonderful topic, but so far, no one has mentioned the singing, dancing Jar Jar alarm clock... images/icons/grin.gif

No, I don't have one of those myself--thank Heaven--but like JediPadawan, I have (almost) all those dumb Pepsi cans in a box in a closet somewhere. images/icons/tongue.gif

Hey, speaking of the cans, did anyone ever figure out their "secret message" or whatever it was?

... the Findswoman

DarthMaulSithLord
06-09-2002, 04:15 PM
The three connectable E1 electronic banks from that company, Thinkway or something. Paid around $20 each and they didn't work like they should when i connected them. I exchanged a few thinking i probably got a defunct toy, but as of today, the damn things are still not fighting eeach other. Obi-Wan and Maul clash, but Qui-Gon is just standing there looking like a complete retard! What a friggin' waste of money! I want my money back!

And then those classic banks! I changed batteries on them and now they don't work like they should anymore! R2-D2's eye doesn't light-up anymore and most of the time he doesn't even move! Vader's okay, but his saber movement seems somewhat slow-ish now. I have no clue why. I put darn expensive batteries in them, i did this what a lot of care and it took me 2 hours!!! Stupid twisty ties!!! I think they used over 15 for each bank!!!

Thinkway, you suck!!!

Oh yeah, the dumbest thing i didn't buy was a signed Vader helmet for $50!!! I really hate myself for passing it up.

images/icons/frown.gif

JediPadawan
06-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Findswoman:
Wonderful topic, but so far, no one has mentioned the singing, dancing Jar Jar alarm clock... images/icons/grin.gif

No, I don't have one of those myself--thank Heaven--but like JediPadawan, I have (almost) all those dumb Pepsi cans in a box in a closet somewhere. images/icons/tongue.gif

Hey, speaking of the cans, did anyone ever figure out their "secret message" or whatever it was?

... the Findswoman<font size="2" face="arial">Nope. I duuno the secret message.

I remember going into TRU once and setting all of the Singing Jar Jars off at once. 30 or more Jar Jar dancing on the shelf! images/icons/grin.gif

Beedo
06-09-2002, 05:49 PM
In ascending order:

3. The AOTC figures with three articulation points or less, $8 each.

2. The Hoth Peril Wal-Mart Snowspeeder, roughly $45 from Toy Palace.

1. A grainy, third-generation copy of The Star Wars Holiday Special, $15 at a convention. If you're thinking of getting a copy for yourself, click HERE (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/6886/SWHS.html) to read exactly why you shouldn't.

One weird item I got given as a gift was a Return of the Jedi record eraser (doesn't erase records, it's an eraser in the shape of a small yellow record, with a ROTJ sticker on it).

[ 06-09-2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Beedo ]

Jedi_Idej
06-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Theed hangar playset. Absolute crap.

A 12-pk of Pepsi One soda. Even if all 12 cans were of the same character, I didn't lose out since I like drinking soda, right? Tasted like carbonated **** water.

Fast food premiums. I eat fast food ocassionally, but that promotion was a heart stopper. I eventually trimmed the toys from my collection. The food trimmed off years from my life immediately.

06-09-2002, 07:43 PM
This is off topic but since Beedo brought it up: "The Star Wars Holiday Special" rocks! I've never laughed so hard in my whole life. No Star Wars parody will ever match this, the king of unintentional comedy. images/icons/wink.gif images/icons/grin.gif

jabba_the_drunk
06-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Who's dissing the Commtech?

I had the opportunity to pick-up the Commtech Display that they had at stores. A very nice employee just handed it to me to take home.

I searched Ebay and bought an almost complete set of loose Commtech Chips for $20. They were already on a metal chain.

Anyway, this display is a huge hit with all of my nephews and neices. They love playing with it.

Krilzedlim
06-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by zigga94:
but i don't know why i'm still holdin on to old ***** pizza and taco boxes??? images/icons/confused.gif i believe i still have the LAYS and Dortito bags from E1, empty of course, but still why am i holdin on to these??? does anyone think that they will be of any use to me???<font size="2" face="arial">Then give them to me you goober images/icons/tongue.gif

I think the lamest thing I've ever bought Star Wars related was the Space Trax album by The Starlite Orchestra. UGH. It was my birthday and my aunt took me out to buy some stuff, and instead of picking up all four McFarlane's Monsters sets (series 1), I get two of them, some stupid morphing software that i never figured out how to use, and this album, because my idiot cousin goes and points out "OHHH!! It's got Star Wars stamps!". Bah, i got more of the stamps later, and it's a crappy album too.

well, ok, the version of Imperial March isn't too bad, but the rest of the album is all that knid of fake electronic sounding crap that John Tesh plays, only without John Tesh's talent.

I hate my cousins.

Sith_Lord_Cosmo
06-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Who's dissing the Pepsi cans. I had fun collecting those. I would go to graduation parties to get cans

I think my dumbest one would be the Star Wars toothpaste.

And BTW, I'm looking for one of those Dancing Jar Jar's for a friend

[ 06-10-2002, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Sith Lord Cosmo ]

Bounty_Hunter_XP
06-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Four words.

Shadows of the Empire.

Dumb. Dumb. DUMB.

[ 06-10-2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: fumetti ]

ponda_barfly
06-11-2002, 02:41 PM
what about that star wars board game with the video containing "new" footage in?

i played it once and its been gathering dust ever since

Findswoman
06-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sith Lord Cosmo:
Who's dissing the Pepsi cans. I had fun collecting those.<font size="2" face="arial">Well, I did too... It's just much more fun to go out hunting for new cans than it is to have them sit in a cardboard box in your closet after you've found them all! images/icons/grin.gif

... the Findswoman

RediNight
06-12-2002, 02:24 PM
along with the pepsi cans the dumbest thing ive ever boughten was the Episoide I Pepsi Jeff Gordan go-cart. What am i ever to do with that huge thing?

Melkor
06-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Well, it still irks me that I paid $22 for the Mos Espa Encounter Cinema Scene when it was first released. I had it in my mind then that if I didn't get it, I'd never see it again and it would become this rare rare thing and I'd wished I'd bought it. Wrong again.

06-12-2002, 05:02 PM
I got 3 bootleg "Galaxy Empire" figures from a corner store in London. Boba Fett is ok, but Han and Luke are uglier than sin, some of the most hidious action figures I've ever seen.

I bought the preview Jango Fett and Zam "Nuclear" Wessel and I think they suck so much that I'm not gonna bother getting any other Attack of the Clones figures.

I also got those two "Animated Classics" videos of "Droids" and "Ewoks." The Droids video is mariginaly cool but the Ewoks one sucks. It's like a StarWars crossover with the Care Bears. Ugh.

INFAMY_OF_CRETE
06-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Wow! this topic is about 9 months old and still lingers. I think the dumbest thing I hear people doing is saving a fuvking potato chip bag. GET A LIFE !! These are the same people that give us good SW collectors bad names. It A FUVKING bag chuck it after you licked the chip bag clean you fat, mcdonalds eating, doritios hurling,mountain dew swilling, come wanna be collector.

Inigo_Montoya
06-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Darthmatthew:
I have brought both of the ewok movies....<font size="2" face="arial">And that's a bad thing? I'd pay $12.00 for both of 'em in a second. images/icons/grin.gif

[ 06-12-2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: dogdude ]

06-13-2002, 03:14 AM
Episode one candy at a 99 cents store...last week!
yeech...blahh...Is bubble gum supposed to be this gritty after 2 years?

GNT
06-13-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by INFAMY OF CRETE:
Wow! this topic is about 9 months old and still lingers. I think the dumbest thing I hear people doing is saving a fuvking potato chip bag. GET A LIFE !! These are the same people that give us good SW collectors bad names. It A FUVKING bag chuck it after you licked the chip bag clean you fat, mcdonalds eating, doritios hurling,mountain dew swilling, come wanna be collector.<font size="2" face="arial">I've still got my empty and full chip bads,I just didn't have the guts to throw them out images/icons/smile.gif

ponda_barfly
06-13-2002, 05:15 AM
i too would love the ewok movies, i've not seen them since they came out.And are they classed as star wars movies? maybe they should bring out a dvd!
other bad thing episode 1 sticker album, never finished it, never will.....

06-13-2002, 08:28 AM
A second monkey-faced Leia. I found the first, green carded, $8....then I found the OC one for $20 thinking it was the valuable variation. Yes, I was new to collecting.

Egads, but that figure is ugly images/icons/shocked.gif

As silly as I feel about this....it doesn't hold a candle to saving old pizza boxes and empty chip bags. Eewwwww!! images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for reviving this topic!

rmschneider104
06-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Back around 98 or 99, they had the bar soap with little plastic Star Wars characters in them. As you washed, the soap would slowly reveal the character. I actually considering putting together an entire set of characters. What was I thinking??? I gave up after R2 and Chewie.

captmiloman
06-14-2002, 09:33 AM
The Star Wars Holiday Special and the first few figures from the AOTC line. The Holiday Special is right up there with the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. Painful to watch, but a must for any fan.

Darthmatthew
06-18-2002, 12:57 AM
Just completed my Ewok cartoon series. Why????? images/icons/confused.gif

Lady_Jaye
12-14-2006, 07:19 PM
A great question that should be asked again!!

What is the dumbest Star Wars item you have ever purchased???

Friggin_Dan
12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I think I'd have to go with the deluxe flipjumpy Dooku and Obi-Wan thingies during the Episode II midnight madness..er, madness. At the time, the regular Dooku figure was elusive and not in ANY of the many different asst. cases at that particular WM, so I bought it just to have a Dooku. Eventually common sense took over, even before I found the regular one, and I returned both for my $20 back, where for all I know, they're still buried in the bowels of that store. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Michael_Knight
12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
The Ewok movie DVD's. I watched the first one but I don't know if I can stomach watching the other one.

Lady_Jaye
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
The Ewok movie DVD's. I watched the first one but I don't know if I can stomach watching the other one.

LOL!!! I could have warned ya!! Those movies sucked!! Even as a kid I was completely and utterly annoyed by those movies!! Nothing what I wanted to see!! Blech!

JosephY
12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
The dumbest SW things I ever bought were ALL of the POTF2 and E1 crapola that I'll be lucky to get 1/10th what of what I paid back for them when I dump them.

Seriously modern figures were the worst decision I've ever made when it comes to collecting. IF I could go back to 1995 and not have spent one dime on that trash I'd be a much happier person.

JoshEEE
12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
I think I'd have to go with the deluxe flipjumpy Dooku and Obi-Wan thingies during the Episode II midnight madness..er, madness. At the time, the regular Dooku figure was elusive and not in ANY of the many different asst. cases at that particular WM, so I bought it just to have a Dooku. Eventually common sense took over, even before I found the regular one, and I returned both for my $20 back, where for all I know, they're still buried in the bowels of that store. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It was the Force Flipping figures for me as well. I used to be a member of Kebco's "One of Every figure club" during my completist days, but the day those things arrived....I realized I had a sickness.

The fact that I had paid for 3 figures that aren't even really figures just made me mad at myself. They're all posted in stupid crouch poses, ugh.

I cancelled my membership with Kebco shortly after (right afterwards, I hear they went into the toilet so I'm glad I did)...and I haven't been a completist since.

bigdog6374
12-14-2006, 08:22 PM
The dumbest SW things I ever bought were ALL of the POTF2 and E1 crapola that I'll be lucky to get 1/10th what of what I paid back for them when I dump them.

Seriously modern figures were the worst decision I've ever made when it comes to collecting. IF I could go back to 1995 and not have spent one dime on that trash I'd be a much happier person.

Your in to collecting for all the wrong reasons then if re-sell value is all your looking at.

I personally like the fact that companies have flooded the market with product the last few year because it gives real collectors what they want which is their favorite character(s) without having to go to the moon and back to find them. It sucks for the secondary market but who really cares?? Anybody selling stuff on ebay are only doing so to make extra cash on the side on top of what they already make and if they were really that hard up that they need to make extra cash to make ends meet then maybe they shouldn't be buying stuff they don't need. There will always be 1 or 2 really HTF variations or what not to keep the secondary market alive but for the most part I think companies as well as collectors have gotten smart over the last year or so and it's been a long time coming.

Chris Wyman
12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd have to say the dumbest Star Wars items I've bought to date are the complete set of like 18 or so Force Battlers from 2005-2006. I have every last one and I wish I never picked the first four up back in April of last year. I guess they look cool...sort of, but that's money I would much rather have put in something else. Oh well, I have the whole set, so maybe I could sell them. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JosephY
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM

Your in to collecting for all the wrong reasons then if re-sell value is all your looking at.

I personally like the fact that companies have flooded the market with product the last few year because it gives real collectors what they want which is their favorite character(s) without having to go to the moon and back to find them. It sucks for the secondary market but who really cares?? Anybody selling stuff on ebay are only doing so to make extra cash on the side on top of what they already make and if they were really that hard up that they need to make extra cash to make ends meet then maybe they shouldn't be buying stuff they don't need. There will always be 1 or 2 really HTF variations or what not to keep the secondary market alive but for the most part I think companies as well as collectors have gotten smart over the last year or so and it's been a long time coming.

I'm collecting for ALL the right reasons, It's just be nice to be able to shift things around and at least BREAK EVEN on all the junk that I'll never have the room to display. And to be able to sell the stuff that still does retain some value without some ****** calling me a scapler for doing so.

JoshEEE
12-14-2006, 08:31 PM

I imagine the dilema he's dealing with is the same one many collectors face these days (myself included).

I bought tons of that POTF2 crap back in the 90's, only to see better modern versions of each figure come out over the years. He-Man luke, monkey faced Leia, the "ever-so-rare" POTF2 Yoda.....these were the "gems" of my collection back in 96.

These days, I don't even like displaying that crap on my shelves. Han and his stupid Smuggler's backpack look really silly next to that really well done Trash Compactor Scene set from 8 years later.

Selling them isn't really going to net me anything (less than a buck each) so I keep em.

bigdog6374
12-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Dumbest star wars thing I every bought was the Swimming Jar Jar Binks from Episode I for like $30 + shipping on ebay. It's not really that the figure was dumb but the fact that I paid that price for it but at the time it was a highly sought after fig.

Sarge
12-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Hyperspace membership. Period.

Mike

Lady_Jaye
12-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Hyperspace membership. Period.
Mike

Ha ha ha!!!

And yea, the POTF2 figures are mine as well. I could have spent my money on better stuff back then, then the crappy muscle bound, rickets induced figures. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif

ShadowTrooper
12-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Buying some of the Force Battlers was dumb. Thank goodness I still had the receipts, and returned them all.

brewser
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Although I am sure many people like them, for me it is the M&M chocolate Mpire figures

JosephY
12-15-2006, 12:39 AM

I imagine the dilema he's dealing with is the same one many collectors face these days (myself included).

I bought tons of that POTF2 crap back in the 90's, only to see better modern versions of each figure come out over the years. He-Man luke, monkey faced Leia, the "ever-so-rare" POTF2 Yoda.....these were the "gems" of my collection back in 96.

These days, I don't even like displaying that crap on my shelves. Han and his stupid Smuggler's backpack look really silly next to that really well done Trash Compactor Scene set from 8 years later.

Selling them isn't really going to net me anything (less than a buck each) so I keep em.

For me it's more that displaying modern production figures in the same areas with my vintage would cheapen the appearance of some of my displays, as opposed to just wishing for better sculpts I'd just prefer to keep it all either vintage, or if it's modern and displayed, it at least has to be pre-production or bootleg. When I bought all of the modern stuff that's sitting in boxes in my attic. I had planned on one of the toy rooms in my house being a modern figure room. But as my collecting focus' changed and narrowed, as well as my recent decline in disposable income, I decided that it'd be easier to just sell it all off. But based on the bargain basement levels that anything thats not fresh out of the door at Hasbro sells for these days. I'll probably just dump it all off on a dealer locally or sell it in set lots rather than deal with listing it all seperately and dealing with the hassle of morons that'll complain if I ask them for $4 for shipping and it comes to $3.50. (don't laugh I've seen it.)

bigdog6374
12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
JosephY I apologize if I came across as rude. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ezehogan
12-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Modern 3 3/4" line period. I had a TON of stuff and I finally unloaded nearly all of it. It was dominating my life. I remember feeling that I just HAD to have the AOTC era Bespin Luke which I couldn't find anywhere. When I finally got it, I admired it for a few days and then chucked it into a ziplock bag and threw it in the closet with the other hundreds of figures.

Plenty more examples before and after this figure, but its just the one that leaps into my mind. Don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun with "the hunt". Probably the best part of the hobby. But finally getting something never resulted in any happiness. It was just "on to the next one".

On top of that, seeing huge collections of modern stuff always reminds me of the bargain bin. I almost feel like there is no pride in collecting something that is readily available at most stores. I'd rather collect the discontinued vintage line.

As for the single stupidest thing? Escape the Death Star boardgame. "What a piece of junk!"

JosephY
12-15-2006, 12:58 AM
JosephY I apologize if I came across as rude. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

No worries man, it's hard to tell someones tone via typing.
I've had people think I was being rude or condescending, when I've just been being matter of fact about things.
It happens. Thanks for the apology, it is appreciated.

Cheers
J

BenJ
12-15-2006, 03:01 AM
My first one has to be hyperspace (which we only get the online content)
My second has to be signing up for the magazine subscription in the uk for one year.
My third has to be the rots carded figures I have on my wall.

Toyoda
12-15-2006, 03:45 AM
Definitely 12 inch Grievous. He's sitting in a drawer in my bedroom at my parents house, broken, and collecting dust.

E_CHU_TA
12-15-2006, 03:54 AM
i only buy figures so i would have to go with all the suck potf2 figures i got thinking that the line was just going to be a short lived revival.

and all the things i have bought with pack in figures just to see the figures get a rerelease cheap and single.

MisterKenobi
12-15-2006, 06:54 AM
KOTOR and KOTOR2 were the biggest wastes of time and money I think I have ever experienced in my life thus far. I own a Dancing Jar Jar Binks Room Alarm, and my vote goes to KOTOR.

Sergiu
12-15-2006, 07:15 AM
I bought last year a set of glow in the dark bootleg figures http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8921/swglowke9.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swglowke9.jpg)

But the dumbest and also funniest thing I ever saw is this Wookiee cellphone holder (birthday present from a good friend):

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4610/cellphoneeu1.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cellphoneeu1.jpg)

The Imperial officer says: "A good use for a wookiee..." http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darth_Tedious
12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Has to be a tie between KOTOR and my inflatable Darth Maul chair.

I played KOTOR for 5 minutes and I am still recovering from boredom. My inflatable Darth Maul chair was a gift and I have still not broken the seal on the box.

Lady_Jaye
12-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Has to be a tie between KOTOR and my inflatable Darth Maul chair.

DUDE!!! I had one of those!! Got it on clearance from KB!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif I forgot what happened to it!!

Darth_Tedious
12-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, if you ever need a replacement or want a second so you can start that Darth Maul diningroom set... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lady_Jaye
12-15-2006, 09:39 AM
But the dumbest and also funniest thing I ever saw is this Wookiee cellphone holder (birthday present from a good friend):

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4610/cellphoneeu1.th.jpg (http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cellphoneeu1.jpg)

Hey that's pretty neat!! I like it!! Must be a non-licensed item huh??

Well, if you ever need a replacement or want a second so you can start that Darth Maul diningroom set... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Imperial officer says: "A good use for a wookiee..." http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MLBFan24
12-15-2006, 10:53 AM
my worst purchase was the Boba Fett cup + figure from the ROTS line - when it was full price

I returned that crap after a few weeks.

starwarssteve
12-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Awhile back I had a plastic yoda that when you pushed down on his head a green jelly bean came out of his butt. How about that for an action move....Simply Brilliant!!!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
~Steve

Sergiu
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey that's pretty neat!! I like it!! Must be a non-licensed item huh??

The wookiee cellphone holder is original SW licensed by Orange phone company (not a bootleg) and it was a special package offered in Europe when ROTS was released. The package contained a Nokia cellphone, the wookiee holder, a Vader cellphone battery recharger (his eyes glow when puting the phone on the helmet), and a black box where everything was inserted.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7234/cellphonewookiee011wllp4.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cellphonewookiee011wllp4.jpg)

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3618/10037045wibs9.th.jpg (http://img327.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10037045wibs9.jpg)

Lady_Jaye
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
A Vader recharger, now that is too sweet!! Looks kind of hokey, but it reminds me of the good ol days!!

Now if they had a Boba Fett or Darth Maul version, [censored] I'd have the delivered to me pornto!!

Darth_Anton
12-15-2006, 11:49 AM
The entire POTF2 line. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

infallible
12-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Hmmm... Unlike most, I have no regrets about POTF2. Even though I don't display a lot of it anymore, I liked it while it was around, and juiced up Luke has some good nostalgia value.

After the fact, I have to say that I was really disappointed in that lava reflection Vader from Target on the first Ep3 toy day. That figure looked so dumb! But at the time, I thought it was cool.

Second would probably be the animated figures. Not that they don't look cool, but they just don't fit with the rest, so they're no longer on display. Though they'd be good for the office or something.

Third is those Clone Wars multipacks. The lack of articulation really did these in. The Jedi pack just wasn't that cool, and the clone packs are stuck in those poses that they're hard to display. Especially now that articulated versions of the officers and such are being released.

Letovx
12-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Gotta say any of the clone trooper multi packs, what a waste, no articulation and they are all in the same three poses. I took back a few after I opened a pack. I know people were going ape trying to find them, but my take on them was for army building, which they suck at.

Second would have to be a SW pez dispensor I bought. What was I thinking. Someone bought me the jumbo pez pack with like 8 dispensors for X-mas last year. It's still in the closet collecting dust.

ltvx

Lava
12-19-2006, 02:11 AM
The Titanium vader and boba fett. Those things suck. I can't believe that line is still going.

notanerd
12-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Simply on quality alone in terms of durability, anything made by Hasbro that has to do with the 3.75" Figure line.

Darth_Tedious
12-19-2006, 07:59 AM
The entire POTF2 line. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LOL! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DarthPete
12-19-2006, 09:16 AM
A giant (like a foot tall) Chewbacca pez dispenser that played music when you opened his head. I can't even begin to explain what I was thinking, during movie years I have a tendancy to get a little trigger happy.

CHObiWan
12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I once got soap with a small bust of Darth Vader inside. Pretty pointless, but the bust was pretty cool. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GI_Joe
12-19-2006, 09:08 PM
KOTOR and KOTOR2 were the biggest wastes of time and money I think I have ever experienced in my life thus far. I own a Dancing Jar Jar Binks Room Alarm, and my vote goes to KOTOR.

my biggest regret is KOTOR. i bought it on pc with the strategy guide, and then realized i hated playing games with a mouse and keyboard, so i bought a controller. turns out that was like the one game the controller didn't work with. then when it finally came out on xbox, i bought a used xbox and the xbox version on the game. turns out that the game sucked! after all that i played it for about 20 minutes.

JediDave76
12-19-2006, 09:10 PM
is this counting or not counting the Holiday Special?

MARTI
12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
For me it's the DVD R2 Under the Dome. It's mildly funny the first time you watch it. I've only watched my copy one time. It's still collecting dust. By the way Lady Jaye you really went way back to continue this thread. Before you started this up again the last post was in 02?? Were you just bored one day or what??

Fit_Kisto
12-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Some things I could've done without (Anakin's inflatable starfighter bed), but hopefully in 20 or so years I will open the door to my storage building and give all this to my son. And I can't wait to see the look on his face. To me, that would be priceless.

MisterKenobi
12-20-2006, 09:48 AM

my biggest regret is KOTOR. i bought it on pc with the strategy guide, and then realized i hated playing games with a mouse and keyboard, so i bought a controller. turns out that was like the one game the controller didn't work with. then when it finally came out on xbox, i bought a used xbox and the xbox version on the game. turns out that the game sucked! after all that i played it for about 20 minutes.

I just traded KOTOR and KOTOR2 in at Gamestop for credit. I got $5.50 for both. So in the end, these 2 games were the worst investment of time and money I think I have ever encountered. I bought both games new for $50 each. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lady_Jaye
12-20-2006, 10:02 AM
By the way Lady Jaye you really went way back to continue this thread. Before you started this up again the last post was in 02?? Were you just bored one day or what??

I was just browsing some of the older topics, why does it matter that it was an old topic?? It's still a good question! And one that I missed the original time around!

DELuke
12-20-2006, 11:42 AM
It's not that they suck, it's just that you and strokerberry don't know good games, MisterKenobi, considering that most of the gamer community(Including me) loves KOTOR 1 & 2.

That and you're just a biased SOB. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

For me, it would have to be anything Jar Jar related.

Ewok_Slayer
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Star Wars Choppers http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No I didn't buy those... Probably dumbest thing I bought was Darth Vader Force Battler or 3.75" Titanium Figures. Star Wait sucked [censored] too!!! Darth Vader voice changer was pretty lame too.

MetalJedi
12-20-2006, 12:46 PM
The unposeable CW and ROTS Clone 3 packs. Im glad Im not a carded completist anymore.

MARTI
12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
I was just browsing some of the older topics, why does it matter that it was an old topic?? It's still a good question! And one that I missed the original time around!

[/QUOTE] It does not matter. I was simply amazed that such an old thread was resurrected. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

notanerd
12-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I once got soap with a small bust of Darth Vader inside. Pretty pointless, but the bust was pretty cool. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I got one with Jar Jar in it. I had it stored away until I checked in on it and the bubble had completely severed from the cardboard, so I wore the soap down, saved the bust.

I also bought R2-Under the Dome. Pretty lame, but I got it for $1.99, so whatever.

zakkattakk
12-20-2006, 02:58 PM
ROTS super non-posable battle droid.

MisterKenobi
12-20-2006, 03:45 PM
It's not that they suck, it's just that you and strokerberry don't know good games, MisterKenobi, considering that most of the gamer community(Including me) loves KOTOR 1 & 2.

That and you're just a biased SOB. http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Most of the gamer community likes them because anyonewho considers themselves part of the "gamer" community has 100+ hours of their lives of nothingness to devote to [censored] games like KOTOR and FF. I put in about 30 hours in each game before giving up. Horrible, horrible games. Not to mention the fact that they totally have absolutely nothing to do with SW. It's just a f***ing Final Fantasy game with Star Wars attached to the title.

I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 was new, bud. I owned (and still own) a NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, N64, GC, XBOX, and XBOX 360. I also owned Dreamcast, GB, GB Color, GBA, DS, and both PS1 and PS2 but they were awful (maybe KOTOR should have been made exclusively for PS2). I know a good game when I play it, and this does not qualify. If you have to spend more time reading and listening to people talk than fighting in a game, that's automatically a stupid game.

And if I were that biased, I would never have bought them, you SOB.

Bib_Fortuna
12-20-2006, 05:09 PM
The dumbest Star Wars thing I ever bought was probably an Inflatable R2-D2 chair, kind of like the Darth Maul ones that were mentioned earlier. It popped the day I bought it...waste.

Geester
12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Holy crap, this thread is approaching seven years old!!! Anyway, here's the one thing in my collection that had to be purged because I hated it soooo much; it's the Droideka Room Alarm...
http://www.jeffbots.com/destroyerdroid.jpg

aces
12-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I was wondering why you put the Droideka on the lawn. Target practice? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pmrjulio
12-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I will say mine is between the KFC plastic cup collection (when TPM was released) and the Jedi Outfit pattern I got, while neither my wife or I know anything about sewing, and my Mother and my mother-in-law who do are in another country.

Mofo_Jones
12-21-2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.jeffbots.com/destroyerdroid.jpg

Looks like it should be a lawn sprinkler! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the worst SW item I ever purchased was Rebel Assault II for the PlayStation. That "game" sucked.

Toyoda
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Simply on quality alone in terms of durability, anything made by Hasbro that has to do with the 3.75" Figure line.

Why is there so much hate for Hasbro? Isn't that what most of us here are buying? I personally love my 3.75 inch toys, and it makes me sick how Rebelscum is supposed to be for fans of Hasbro and other toys and there are a bunch of negative people who have to come on the boards and be like, "Hasblow, Rehashbro, Hasbro sucks, I hate Hasbro, I am going to burn all my figures, etc..." Why do these people post here? If all they collect is MR, GG, and Sideshow, stay on those boards and be positive. (Sarcasm ahead for all you slower scummers) I think that MR, GG, and Sideshow are total crap. Absolute garbage. Over priced crap with terrible likenesses. In fact, throw in Hasbro too, and the Prequels, I hate 'em. In fact, I even hate the original Star Wars. I'm going to go buy some cool clothes from Hollister and burn my collection. Then I will hit the mall and the gym and get me a skank girlfriend and spend my time sending textmessages and hitting parties. That's a subculture I could go for, Beef Stevens fratty. SW Geeks suck...

All the negativity is like a bad apple spoiling the bunch. I like coming here to here the praise for cool toys, and perhaps some criticism for the let-downs. But just saying, "Everything sucks!" is pushing the negativity limits... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SgtPsych
01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't think that Hasbro's POTF 2 Line was bad. The only thing that stunk about it is the fact that I may have paid over retail for one or two figs. I've opened alot of the cards lately and my kids love playing with them.

Now, the dumbest star wars thing I bought which I don't regret buying is a large chrome Darth Vader PEZ dispenser. I thought it was dumb when I bought it, but I got a trip out of the music and sound it made when I lifted the head. Is it dumb? Most definitely. Do I regret buying it? Not for a second. Now, I do regret buying Spawn and XMen figures which I now consider dumb because I am not really into those lines anymore.

Decepticon
01-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Star Wars Transformers. I was a fan at first, but then changed my mind. In retrospect, I wanted to like them because the concept was cool. The execution is where these things suffered. I owned several, but donated all except the ARC-170 to charity over the holidays.

zakkattakk
01-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Why is there so much hate for Hasbro? Isn't that what most of us here are buying? I personally love my 3.75 inch toys, and it makes me sick how Rebelscum is supposed to be for fans of Hasbro and other toys and there are a bunch of negative people who have to come on the boards and be like, "Hasblow, Rehashbro, Hasbro sucks, I hate Hasbro, I am going to burn all my figures, etc..." Why do these people post here? If all they collect is MR, GG, and Sideshow, stay on those boards and be positive. (Sarcasm ahead for all you slower scummers) I think that MR, GG, and Sideshow are total crap. Absolute garbage. Over priced crap with terrible likenesses. In fact, throw in Hasbro too, and the Prequels, I hate 'em. In fact, I even hate the original Star Wars. I'm going to go buy some cool clothes from Hollister and burn my collection. Then I will hit the mall and the gym and get me a skank girlfriend and spend my time sending textmessages and hitting parties. That's a subculture I could go for, Beef Stevens fratty. SW Geeks suck...

All the negativity is like a bad apple spoiling the bunch. I like coming here to here the praise for cool toys, and perhaps some criticism for the let-downs. But just saying, "Everything sucks!" is pushing the negativity limits... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No, RS isn't for Hasbro in particular, it's for all SW collecting. Most of the Hasbro bashing is coming from the collectors of high-end products rather than children's toys and disappointed Hasbro collectors. Plus, people bash EVERY kind of SW product, including MR, GG and SS. It's not just Hasbro.

notanerd
01-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Exactly,zakkattakk. Nowhere,Toyoda, did I say that "everything sucks". I merely intimated that for the amount of money Hasbro is asking for figures, which is close to $7 each, I, as a consumer, expect a $7 item to not break upon trying to release them from thier packaging and not have limbs fall off when trying to pose them.

If $7 is such a throwaway amount for you and doesn't give you a reason to moan about a lack of quality for what you are paying for, then good for you.

I personally do not appreciate the fact that the exact same figures released now almost 2 yrs ago on different cards can constitute a $2 price hike, while I still get the same figures having limbs fall off at the same points doing the exact same things to them that broke off 2 yrs ago. So I pay $2 more for a card? Wow.

I don't know or really care about people's personal income levels and how they disect thier spending dollars. It's all up to you. All I know is that while I do make a nice sum, I still have enough respect for a dollar to expect it to mean something more than losing 2 of them for the same thing from a couple of years ago simply because of a pretty little picture on the box.

I am not a "high end" collector either. I can not afford props, GG busts every month, every single figure, titanium, what with all the bills I pay, and especially when I have something break upon opening it. Damn! There goes the difference between "settling" for 15% fat hamburger and ground sirloin. They both aren't going to last 24 hrs of my attention, but at least the sirloin would have made me happy and satisfied.

So, in the end, I personally don't think Hasbro spends alot of time caring about QA on some of thier lines, and in turn that makes me feel they do not fully respect the customer because they know that some of us will gobble whatever they put in front of our faces. Don't get me wrong, here. I love thier choices, I just don't care for thier quality. To those of you who appreciate Hasbro's handling of the 3.75" line and who seem to be bummed out by my "negativity" over my critique of them, I apologize. I tend to be someone who can get info on items both good and bad so I can make informed decisions, so I tend to critique too much at times to make sure I get my point across. It's not all sunshiny and rainbows with collecting anything, and, I think, to ignore or minimize the downside of items simply because it isn't popular or is a downer to the hobby, is a disservice to fellow collectors and only helps in the long run keep substandard and shoddy companies, thier QA practices, and items around alot longer than they need to be.

Decepticon
01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I personally do not appreciate the fact that the exact same figures released now almost 2 yrs ago on different cards can constitute a $2 price hike, while I still get the same figures having limbs fall off at the same points doing the exact same things to them that broke off 2 yrs ago.

Inflation is a real pain in the you know what! That and since the price of oil has skyrocketed everyone has to increase prices.

Plus, scalping on the secondary market has to give Hasbro some clue as to what people are willing to cough up for their Star Wars fix. I'm sure that someone gets paid to window shop at e-bay all day.

Michael_Knight
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM

No, RS isn't for Hasbro in particular, it's for all SW collecting. Most of the Hasbro bashing is coming from the collectors of high-end products rather than children's toys and disappointed Hasbro collectors. Plus, people bash EVERY kind of SW product, including MR, GG and SS. It's not just Hasbro.

The biq question is why? I only collect Hasbro 3&3/4" but I see alot of MR, GG and SS stuf as a result of going to conventions and knowing people who collect these lines and all of it is stunning. Sometimes I might think something could be done better but those are virtually negligible complaints. At this point the only thing people could have an issue with is quality. Yeah, some corners have to be cut which makes certain parts flimsy or fragile, but that comes with the territory when you want numbers and low retail. Besides those who have kids, who really plays with this stuff anyway. Majority of my collection is only moved when I am redisplaying it or trying to incorporate a new piece. So delicate parts shouldn't be an issue really and when they are they are pretty easily rectifiable IMO. I look at the product now and I am just blown away. I never in a million years thought we would get stuff that was this cool and this detailed. So really, it is hard to see why people would complain.

Sith_Dreamer
01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
A few years back, I picked up that like 2 foot tall Jar Jar Binks with Pit Droid clock or whatever the hell that thing was. It was like $15 clearance at TRU so i said, why not? Grante dI was like 13, and I'm 17 now. Seriously, that thing still goes off in my closet every so often. I gave it to my baby cousin even just to get rid of it...needless to say, his parents became annoye dand it's back in it's spot where it was befor ehe recieved it. Or the Boba Fett Room Alarm...wow, tha thing was useless.

Edit: Wow, I just rea dthrough mroe of this, and people actually want these Jar Jar things?

TheoZissou
01-09-2007, 07:34 PM
All of those Episode 1 Pepsi cans. i got them all. last year i just got rid of them. pointless to hold on to.

The_Oz
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
More silly than dumb. I bought a Star Wars bowling bag. Now figure I am 34 yrs old. Married with two kids. It actually gets alot of attention when we go bowling. Some people point and laugh, some people ask where I got it. When I brought it home my wife laughed, shook her head in disbelief, and said "You're actually gonna carry that to the alley"

CLone_Wolf
01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
My white elephants...

+) SW Skateboard (orthopedic traction, here I come...)
+) JarJar 'suck my tongue' lollipops. (suckersR4suckers )
+) JabbaGlob (Imagine any 8YO's Christmas morning joy...)
+) All the Ep-I cup-toppers (all before trans-fat was banned too...)

-CLone 'TakesALickinButKeepsOnTickin' Wolf

TIE_Pilot23
01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
My wife talked me into getting the interactive r2-d2...messed with it one or two days and put it back in the box...waste of $$$... http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif
http://actionbee.cjb.net/Star_Wars_Interactive_R2_D2_Out_Of_Package.jpg

HEY R2!