PDA

View Full Version : !?IS IT SAFE? !?

Vator
12-12-2002, 05:48 PM
THE FOLLOWING IS MY NUEROTIC OBSESSION
PREFACE:
My fear on this matter is deep,most likely steming from my Grandfathers death of cancer(not related to plastic)and my moms breast cancer(ditto)I have heard that when figs melt and say if you somehow get that plastic into your system(ie,second hand:playing with figures then not washing your hands or something,or sucking on the figs images/icons/shocked.gif )
My ? is it a danger,and if so what should I do,the reason I ask is I have a vintage Death Star Playset.And I would like to play with it.what should I do?

And will boil and pop melt the figs?

BTW,I posted something similar to this in vintage,put it was little help.

MetalJedi
12-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Your not going to get anything from playing with your toys. Also the boil and pop method just basically stretches the plastic no melting involved.

JesseJames
12-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Certain aspects to customizing can have adverse health effects... Like casting for example. The chemicals involved are not healthy to handle in unventilated areas, or direct skin contact...

Or painting, with the fumes it contains and all.

Burns are about the only health risk with the boil & pop though, so I wouldn't worry.

And as stated above, the figure isn't melting, though melting can happen if the figure is rested on the "burners" or whatever heating method you're using.... The figures, when in constant motion, just heat up and they lose some of their rigidness with heat... They become pliable in the limbs/head (due to the plastic type used), and voila... Pop apart easily.

Just watch for the hot water flying out of em! images/icons/smile.gif

mwwest
12-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Thought it would be appropriate to resurrect this thread...

http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001061

MetalJedi
12-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Ah the painful remeberance of that hot water. Ouch!

12-12-2002, 11:45 PM
When you boil and pop, don't use a tool (1.e. pliers) to remove the head. You may damage the piece. Instead wrap figure in a napkin (it will be warm) and pull the head off with your hands.
if it seems to hard to pull out, boil it a little more. How long to boil: varies if you can tell it had a small neck stem, 30 seconds may do it. If its thicker, like a Hoth rebel trooper, keep it in for a minute or more. And then, when putting the head back on, reboil the head so its soft and use a tool like a small phillips head screwdriver to press the neck post back down in.
ONE MORE TIP: Glued tissue paper is awesome for sashes, and other clothing items.
cut the desired piece, fit it to figure, saturate with krazy glue, use talcum powder to soke up excess glue and to bring out the details (fold, wrinkles, creases).

ScoundreI
12-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Eating burnt plastic probably isn't terribly healthy, and breathing burning plastic smoke and fumes is not a good idea.

Otherwise I cannot imagine a link between touching warm plastic and cancer. But you never know.

Thinners, resin and glue pose a greater threat if you ask me, because they have fumes in their natural liquid state.

Good luck.