PDA

View Full Version : Help changing a leg on a Speeder Bike

JohnA
10-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Hello,

I don't usually post here but I need some help. I tried posting this in vintage and one of the mods suggested I cross post here.

I need to change a leg on a vintage Speeder Bike. Can anybody tell me how to do it? Can the side panels be removed w/o breaking them? Are they glued or son-welded on? Pics would really help.

Thanx a bunch

John

JohnA
10-27-2002, 11:34 PM
Anybody? I still haven't been able to do it. I really would like to change this leg w/o breaking the darn thing.

Thanx,

John

JohnA
11-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok, I'm begging you guys. Nobody even replied to me. This post has been up for 3 weeks and I am the only one replying. It's not a simple $3 loose bike, I need to change a leg on a vintage first shot that I paid quite a bit for. *ANY* help would be great.

John

jedihunter45
11-11-2002, 06:29 PM
why do you want to do it is it broken? images/icons/confused.gif

JohnA
11-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jedihunter45:
why do you want to do it is it broken? images/icons/confused.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I got a replacement first shot leg for it in green. It already has one green leg and a production color black leg. I was able to land the matching green one from The Earth in Cinci. Now I can't figure out how to chamge the darn thing. I have a feeling there is a catch someplace on it but I don't want to break it experimenting. I figured somebody may have customized one and knew how to change it.

bibfortuna
11-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Ok, man... I made the ultimate sacrifice for you. I ... (sob)... Ripped apart a speeder bike.

It looks like you won't have any luck on this one. The rear "fenders" that house the ends of the legs are apparently solvent-glued. The front part (that holds the under-bike blaster cannon) will actually pop off - if you pull on it. I was hoping those fenders were the same.

I tried it with a screwdriver, and broke that puppy right off. The fender went one way, the leg another, and the screw went a THIRD way (I STILL haven't found THAT!). It look like, if you do that same thing - it will just break off the pegs that hold the fender to the bike. If that's the case, you can get some super-glue or testor's cement, and re-glue that part right back on -after you swap out a leg.

But... if the plastic on the fender is brittle - it may crack instead.

I don't know what to tell you. I wish I could help more - but there is no way to take that apart without breaking SOMETHING.

And, don't worry - I broke one that was in a box full of them that I have parts for images/icons/smile.gif

If you have any questions, please write here or e-mail me.

Rob

bibfortuna
11-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Hmmm... strange - wait a tick...

I just popped off the other fender - and one peg broke, and the other didnt.

A little leverage might pop off one, peg, and you might be able to twist it to pop off the other.

The black plastic that the body of the speederbike is made out of might be that acetal slippery engineering plastic - the stuff that nothing stickes to.

Lemme sacrifice another, and I'll tell you if I can get it apart without damaging it.

Come here, my pretty.... You're next... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Rob

bibfortuna
11-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Ok... Here's a pic:

http://www.sandcrawlerworkshop.com/junk/spdrbike.jpg

Use a wide bladed flathead screwdriver and GENTLY pry where the arrow is pointing - between the brown fender and the black body...

The fit is tight.

If you're lucky - the fender will pop off the front pin. Then, you can carefully wiggle it, rotate it around the OTHER pin - to try to get it loose - break that glue seal.

If you're not lucky - pop-sproing. I'd keep a hand on it so if it DOES break, you can glue it back on with nothing showing.

BTW - the black part on the very back - that looks like the jet exhaust - it is a metal piece - and if you are careful, you can pull it straight up, and it slides between the two halves of the body.

Then, you pull it gently toward the back of the speederbike, and it will pull right out.

Be careful, though. One I tried it on worked. The other one - it broke the plastic body. images/icons/frown.gif

Good luck. If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Rob

JohnA
11-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by bibfortuna:
Be careful, though. One I tried it on worked. The other one - it broke the plastic body. images/icons/frown.gif

Good luck. If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Rob<font size="2" face="arial">It doesn't look promising. I don't wamt to break it. I may try on a beater first. If I break one of the pegs I'll kick myself. Thanx for the info though.

John