PDA

View Full Version : Emperor vs. Vong

Chewbacca
08-12-2002, 01:25 PM
I don't want to get into the dorky who's tougher - Jango or Boba - arguments here, but a legitimate discussion. Granted the Emperor was corrupt and evil, but was his military power the reason why the Vong never penetrated the galaxy until after his defeat and death(s)?
Don't ruin it for me if "Traitor" answers the question, but clearly they were on the fringes of the galaxy during the last years of the Old Republic. Somehow, they were involved in the Rogue Planet. That's about the time Vegere was captured or joined them. What prevented them from proceding all the way to Coruscant? If they are ysalmir-like in terms of Force-irrelevance, clearly a full Jedi Order would not have dissuaded them from attacking 50 years earlier than they ultimately did. Was there an arrangement or deterrent similar to that of the Ssi-Rusk prior to the invasion of Bakura immediately after ROTJ?

Tooth_Kroth
08-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Cool idea.

Every NJO book I read, I think about how Palpatine would go *****-out in his destruction of the Vong! Could you imagine? You would have none of the political crap the the Jedi have to deal with. Personally, I think that the Vong would have been waxed in the first three novels if the invasion took place during the peek of the Empire. That would be such a sweet story! I would love it if the Tales comic would do a little series on that.

I do think the Vong deliberately waited for their best opportunity to invade. They were keeping tabs on things and waiting for turmoil.

[ 08-12-2002, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Twoth Kroth ]

08-13-2002, 07:54 AM
In Traitor, Nom Anor suggests that Jacen and his family were the instruments in the YV success because they defeated the Empire, enabling the Vong to invade with a 'weaker' government at the helm and basically plow through the galaxy. I don't see this as 'spoiler' because it doesn't answer your question; it's just something that is touched upon....

I do not see this as implying the YV 'waited' until their most opportune moment. I think it was more a matter of expedience ~ they weren't READY to attack during the reign of the Emperor. They were just beginning to scout the SW universe, to learn everything they could about the enemy so they could be prepared (and they WERE prepared, they had a biological answer to every need they encountered). The majority of their worldships were still completing the voyage; they needed to be in place, and the YV needed to have other things in place as well ~ the 'shipyard' at Sernpidal, and planets adapted to become their food production sources as well as production bases for all their biological tools and weapons to arm their warriors. All the logistical needs had to be in place, and this took time....60 or so years, and whether by luck or design, they weren't ready for full-scale invasion until well after the Empire fell. Just my opinion, of course images/icons/smile.gif

Beaubi_Wan
08-13-2002, 09:35 AM
The Empire would have kicked the Vong's *****e$.

echo1441
08-13-2002, 05:38 PM
lady sith, you hit it right on the head. nom anor and all the other vong were simply the advance recon teams. they were doing nothing more then gathering intelligence on the tehnology they would have to face. if anything, the vong who knew anything to come were probably surprised at first by how lacadasical the immediate response to them were. and while it's easy to say the empire would have gone ***** to wall with an all out military force, who says the vong weren't prepared more for that and are subsequently confused as to the battle they are actually engaged in now.

JediRiff
08-13-2002, 09:33 PM
The Empire would have crushed the Vong. Granted, there would be heavy casualties, but the Emperor could give a rip how many soldiers of his, or how many planets he would have to wipe out to achieve his goals. His pure ruthlessness would of spelled the end of the Vong in our beloved galaxy.

Sleepless_Knight
08-18-2002, 07:29 PM
The Vong weaponry would have taken the Empire, even with all its' military might by surprise. Palpatine would have taken the fight to them sooner, but he would have faced even bigger problems than the New Republic because the Vong would wipe out the stormtroopers quickly. The only thing that's giving the good guys a chance is the Jedi. With only two force users, Palpatine would have been in trouble.

Chewbacca
08-20-2002, 12:30 AM
What about the Death Star - a weapon with enough firepower to destroy a planet... or a worldship?

Sepster
08-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Is Thrawn includded in this discussion?

If the Emperor were able to pool all of his military resources (and if memory serves me correctly, in one of the books it said at the height of the Empire the Imperial Navy had cloase to 75,000 Imperial Star Destroyers) the Empire would have beaten the Vong. As previously mentioned the Emperor had the same 'my way or no way' attitude as the Vong and just as much ruthlessness.

Empire wins - Vong slaves build new Death Star

Carnor_Jax
08-24-2002, 11:36 PM
Not not bust anyone's bubble but the only reason that the republic is here is because of Darth Vader throwing the emperor down the shaft at the end of jedi..

It wouldn't matter to Palpatine if the vong used bio weapons..(Remember in Star By Star when Jaina Solo used the Dark Side??..She wasted the vong with force lightning(And she only used the dark side out of anger..not as a dark sider)Imagine what Vader & Palpatine could've done..And if you remember Palpatine had ALOT of Dark Side Adepts,Jedi and "Hands" that were force sensative..In my mind it would be a slaughter for the empire the reason why like two kids that are fighting on the playground the one who has the most behind him will win..They couldn't beat the Republic because they were too cocky in my mind..

images/icons/grin.gif

Mike

Tooth_Kroth
08-27-2002, 12:05 AM
LadySith, I hear what you're sayin'.

I too think the Vong weren't ready to attack during the time of the Empire. I wonder, though, if the Empire didn't die when it did, would they have attacked at all?

Would the Vong have attacked, but with a much larger force?

Actually, my original thought was that the Vong are experienced invaders. They understand the ups and downs that all societies go through. Because of their intelligence and experience, I think the logical tactical plan would be to invade at the SW universe's weekest moment. The SW universe was ripe for the pickin' when the Vong invaded. It was week socially, politically, and militarily.

I think the YV would use the very same strategy in all of their invasions. They certanly don't believe in a war of attrition. They use modern tactics like fire-and-maneuver and economy of forces. I just think their level of intelligence and organization makes them smarter than wreckless war-mongers. For these reason's, I just want to believe that they would have deliberately waited for the fall of the Empire.

Who knows? If the Empire lasted too long for them, maybe they would have invested more in govermental sabotage?

[ 08-27-2002, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Twoth Kroth ]

Chewbacca
08-29-2002, 04:06 AM
It'll be interesting to see what role the "Rogue Planet" has to do with the invasion, since - and don't spoil this for me before I read "Traitor" - Vegere presumably sacrificed herself to help protect the planet.