PDA

View Full Version : a question beyond the movies

07-13-2002, 05:18 PM
I never got into the SW universe beyond the movies, but I had a couple of questions. Are there any races of aliens that are precuded from being Jedi for whatever reason (Biology, for instance) Also, are there any Wookie Jedi and if so, what do they wear? Chewy was, for the most part, naked in the movies.

Just curious,
Tom

07-13-2002, 06:23 PM
Thomas, I can give you what are most likely incomplete answers:

I don't recall reading in the novels that any particular species are specifically precluded from the Jedi, but I think Gamorreans and Ewoks, among others, aren't bright enough or perhaps advanced enough as a species to be Jedi. (The X-Wing series features a Gamorrean pilot, but his intelligence is an exception because he was a victim of genetic engineering.) I'm sure there are others.

As for Wookiee Jedi, the Young Jedi Knights series of young adult novels introduces Chewie's nephew Lowbacca as a Jedi trainee and friend of the Solo children. Lowbacca appears in the New Jedi Order series of novels as well, participating in Jedi missions with his peers.

However, remembering the midichlorian issue from E1, how many different species with completely different physiologies (and from completely different environments/planets) can logically have an identical biological element present which predisposes them to being Jedi? I hate that Lucas felt it necessary to tie midichlorians to force ability images/icons/frown.gif

07-18-2002, 06:34 PM
Don't forget Tyvokka, Plo Koon's Wookiee Jedi Master from The Stark Hyperspace War. While Lowbacca wears only a sash with his translator droid on it, Tyvokka wears full robes (minus boots) but, sadly, dies in the second issue