PDA

View Full Version : New Essential Guide To Character

BigDumbWookiee
06-28-2002, 04:14 PM
I have loved all of the essential guides. Even though Im not really "into" the EU scene, I still enjoy flipping through them from time to time, but I have to say, Im kind of disapointed in the illustrating in this new guide. Am I alone on this?

My biggest beef: Master Yoda looks more like Yogurt from Spaceballs in this book......

That is all
adam

Jediknight760071
06-28-2002, 10:30 PM
AMEN!You said it!

Darth_Bryan
06-29-2002, 01:22 AM
I agree the illustrations were very lacking. I like the addition of all the new characters. However, I would of loved to see some real photos.

07-08-2002, 04:33 AM
C'mon guys, aren't you bieng just a bit harsh?

I think this new guide is leaps and bounds better than the black and white illustration found in past volums. I especially like the action stances some of ther characters are in that up until now we might have seen in staic poses, like the IG-88 and Dengar. I will admit that some characters could resemble their counterparts a little better, but some illustrations like the Mara Jade and the Jedi council members are right on.

Beaubi_Wan
07-08-2002, 04:54 PM
I own that book and the more I look at the art the more I realize how much it sucks. Legs are shortened sometimes, arms are too short, and look at Kyle Katarns hands, those ******* are so damn big it looks like they want to feast on him. Oh, and the Borsk Fey'la illustration sucks too.

DarthBane
07-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by BryanC:
I agree the illustrations were very lacking.<font size="2" face="arial">Damn right they are lacking....
They made "Darth Bane" look like "Ronald McDonald" on crack!!!!

Spike
07-12-2002, 05:43 PM
I thought the illustrations were very good in spots. That Qui-Gon drawing rocked! Look at that Dooku Drawing - classic Christopher Lee - great Likeness. The Mara Jade drawing was awesome too - I wish they would make a new Mar figure based on that drawing. These are just the cool ones off the top of my head. I don't have the book in front of me. I don't recall seeing any drawings that had shortened legs.

The problem with Bane is that the design of his armor was pure crap. They should have drawn him the way he looked before the battle of Ruusan.

I was kind of bummed that Nym had two cyber arms and was the wrong color.

Jaina and Jacen looked cool to me - just how I envisioned them in my mind.

The yoda stuff, however - Yikes. That looks crappy. All I can say is that the dude had a lot of art work to complete in a short amount of time - you will get some stinkers here and there. I don't know if any of you guys dabble in art or do it for your job, but everything you put down on paper isn't always gold.

I like the all drawing format. I wouldn't want photographs because:

1. I've seen every photo of every Star Wars character umpteen times

2. There are no photos for EU characters.

3. I like to see different artists interpretations of the Star Wars people.

07-20-2002, 09:08 PM
They should have drawn Anakin Solo like he is in the NJO the one(s) they did makes him look like a grade school reject. come on show the kid with a lightsaber.