PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Line I and II Review

06-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Well, I have been reading the entire NJO series and things keep getting goofier and goofier. First a general comment about the series.
I really haven't enjoyed how the vong have turned into incredible wussies. I remember reading the first couple of books in the series when fighting one vong warrior would be an entire chapter. Now, they get cut up with one slice and their ships go down with one shot. I do realize that the rebels have adapted techniques and should fight them better but the difference between the first books and the current ones are night and day.
Okay, now onto the current books. Rebel dream started off very nicely. I really was looking forward to reading it especially since it likened to a X-wing story. Wedge seemed to be a main character and it looked like it was going to focus on his involvement in the war. All of the sudden Jaina Solo returns and she becomes the focus of the last 3/4ths of the book. She's a good character but not one I want to read that much about, especially after the story was getting interesting the way it was going. And besides, she has a big journey into the dark side in Dark Journey and it seems like all of the sudden she's back to normal. Is it just me or does most of the jedi lore not work that way? "once down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." Rebel Stand does at least focus on other groups of characters but the story is very jumbled and hardly makes sense. Han and Leia's story is quite insignificant, the jedi find a ridiculous way to become super-men, and we find Tahiri is not recognizable in the force. How does this last one happen? How does she still use the force if she has vong traits that hide her from force users? I thought in previous books she get saved and all of the vong adaptations change. True she still can speak the language and has a few personality changes because of it but how does she keep the blindness to the force the vong have? It would be like having the metal plate taken out of my head but still making the metal detectors go off. Are they trying to make me feel stupid?
Anyway, I'm trying not to give too much away in case people haven't read the books yet. They are adequate additions to the series but I really think some of these authours should get together and atleast read each others stories so they can be continuous together. If you haven't read any of the series be sure to read the first three books. The rest are okay, except Star by Star which was really well done. If you have read the books let me know what you think. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one or not.

06-28-2002, 04:33 PM
Wedge and the Rogues/Wraiths made this duology terrific, exactly as I would expect from Allston. I was on the edge at the end and stayed up late to finish it, all the while aware that OT characters could be finished off at any time by any author....

Jaina's part in RD was indeed a little weird, but as I've thought more about it, I don't think Dark Journey, as the predecessor, gave Allston a whole lot to work with. Jaina's sudden return to 'normalcy' is not a weakness of Allston's creation; he is just working with what was at the end of DJ, which already showed Jaina recovering from her dark side experiences. Blame Cunningham, not Allston. By the end of RS, we see that Jaina is a normal young human after all, which is a nice contrast to her 'goddess' persona. Nice quote about the dark side, maybe we'll see some of that influence resurface later (when she and Jacen reunite, perhaps?)

I didn't like the entire Han/Leia arc ~ it did nothing to advance the story, and it dragged on too long. I also felt the same about Coruscant....did I miss something? Why so much time spent on Lord Nyax? I would have preferred the Coruscant team to spend their time finding and helping the refugees, setting up surveillance, and really focusing on the deteriorating conditions and damage wrought on the planet. I have this feeling Coruscant is as good as dead to the humans now; there's no going back.

The Vong being 'wussies': I don't know about that but I am a little surprised that they haven't learned how to adapt to the fighting techniques developed by the humans. Battle tactics demand that you adjust to specific situations and the Vong have not; they have not even discussed possible strategies to counter the stutter-fire that now so easily destroys their coralskippers.

I'll have to go back and re-read Tahiri's parts.

As for the series as a whole, I think it has been quite good, with a few exceptions. That is to be expected with such a diverse group of authors adding their talents (or lack thereof) to the pot.

Letovx
07-02-2002, 10:42 PM
The Tahira part makes no sense. So she just suddenly becomes a blind spot in the force? I'm about 3/4 done with Rebel Dream and it's moving along quite good. W/ Tahira, she was saved like four or five books ago, she goes on the expedition w/ Anakin to the world ship where they are all linked with the force to be super coordinated, and now she's an enigma, Huh. Very Odd.

The_Man_with_No_Name
07-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Letovx:
The Tahira part makes no sense. So she just suddenly becomes a blind spot in the force? <font size="2" face="arial">I don't remember that at all. She was able to withstand Nyax because her Vong traits allowed her to embrace the pain he was causing and act because of it, unlike Luke/Mara who were unable to do anything because they were so overwhelmed by pain. Can you quote a page number where it says she's not in the Force? I don't think they've done this with her ... instead I think they're saving this technique for Jacen (speculation).

Oh, and I thought Rebel Dream was the saviour of this stupid NJO series ... but Rebel Stand was a tremendous let-down, with very insignificant missions with Han/Leia and Luke/Mara that really didn't advance the story at all.

echo1441
07-04-2002, 10:33 AM
i don't think the vong are becoming wussies. i think their invasion of this galaxy is predicated on the hope that a quick strike would cause confusion and the existing civilization wouldn't be able to react. i believe in the first book this was shown. something to the effect of the advance force knowing that they are fighting against an enemy that has never seen or encountered what thay are attacking with as opposed to the opposition in their own galaxy.