PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with books?

BobaShek
06-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Well today is my first full day of summer vacation. I was hoping to buy a SW book or 2 to read over the break. Does anyone have a good place to begin after ROTJ?

Thanks. images/icons/smile.gif

The_Man_with_No_Name
06-14-2002, 09:33 AM
The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn are, IMO, the best books. They are: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command.

If not those, I would suggest that Michael Stackpole's X-Wing novels are also very well done, though they don't focus on the main characters. Mainly Wedge and some new characters for the series. You should read these in order, as the books do build off of each other.

Personally, I think those are the best, and would use those as a springboard to other stuff. The NJO (New Jedi Order) is set about 20-25 years after Episode 4, so might be a little more distant from the movies than you like. (Plus, IMNSHO, they're not well written/thought out)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't feel that you need to read all the books in the order they occur in the timeline. Each series is pretty stand alone (except the NJO books), so you don't need to read The Truce at Bakura (which takes place days after Jedi)before anything else, for example.

[ 06-14-2002, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: The Man with No Name ]

BobaShek
06-14-2002, 10:35 AM
Wow thanks, The Man With No Name! I have a Borders near my house that has like every SW book ever made, so I shouldn't have any trouble finding these books images/icons/grin.gif Is the Truce at Bakura any good? Does it have any big battles and is it worth reading?

The_Man_with_No_Name
06-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Well, I wasn't impressed with The Truce at Bakura (by Kathy Tyers, btw), but some people did like it. As I said, it's just a few days after Jedi. Bakura, an Imperial held world, is under attack by an alien race, the Ssi-Ruuck (or something). They need support, and not realizing the Emperor has been killed, send a signal which the Alliance intercepts. The Alliance goes to Bakura to ally with the Empire in fighting off the Ssi-Ruuck. It's a stand alone novel.

I'd say if you're not sure about paying money for a book you won't like, use your local library. (that's the route I've been taking lately) By now, they should have all of the older books on their shelves for you to flip through.

For some thorough descriptions of other books, visit www.theforce.net (http://www.theforce.net) ...check out their book reviews section.

Real_Scooby
06-16-2002, 12:25 AM
I recommend the books of K.J. Anderson. Sure, the most people dont like them but I think hes a great writer. His books read fast and in some great scenes like the crashing of the falcon, you can actually hear the bursting metal. I like his books.

Try the Jedi Academy trilogy.

I also very enjoyed The Crystal Star, the first three X-Wing books, Tales of the Bounty Hunters
and the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy. The Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin is also a great read.

06-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Read the Thrawn trilogy. You can almost imagine them as Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Very fast paced and VERY interesting. (Almost) Everything in every other novel references the actions that take place in these three books. They are a worthwhile investment and a worthwhile devotion of your precious summer time. images/icons/smile.gif

[ 06-17-2002, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Vader's crony ]

06-17-2002, 10:53 PM
BTW, don't read Barbara Hambly's Children of the Jedi . It's a pretty bad book. Only read it if you plan to read Darksaber by Kevin Anderson, since he references the events of Children of the Jedi several times. But read the Thrawn trilogy first.

EUCustomMan
06-17-2002, 11:11 PM
I've read almost all of the books and the books I've enjoyed were:
Tales from Cantina & Jabbas Palace
Courtship of Princess Leia
Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and the Last Command
Specter of the past and Vision of the Future
All of the New Jedi Order books (except agents of chaos I&II and Dark Journy)
Shadow Hunter was cool
The Jedi Apprentice books are really good too, & fast reads.

Swiss_Army_R5
06-17-2002, 11:12 PM
Truce at Bakura makes a good b-b-q starter. It's the most unstarwars book I've ever read. It's just Tyers using Star Wars trappings to tell her own sci-fi story.

How about prequel books. Any of them any good?

EUCustomMan
06-18-2002, 01:02 AM
The Jedi apprentice books are some of the best SW books out there. They are in the Pre ANH timeframe.

Shadow hunter was fun to read but dosen't really add anything to the SW universe.

My girlfriend loved Approching Storm...it was pretty good.

Rouge planet was lame..but it was the first place that the coming Vong were sort of introduced.

Cloak of deception was ok i guess.

the new Jedi Quest books are ok so far. They would be much better if the Brat Anakin wasn't in them...I can't stand Anakin...he's a little punk!

EUCM

[ 06-18-2002, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: EUCustomMan ]

The_Man_with_No_Name
06-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Evil C-3PO:
Truce at Bakura makes a good b-b-q starter. It's the most unstarwars book I've ever read. It's just Tyers using Star Wars trappings to tell her own sci-fi story.
<font size="2" face="arial">Hahaha ... that's what I thought when I read it. The most unstarwars book, though? I don't know, The Crystal Star comes pretty close.

Swiss_Army_R5
06-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Well I skipped that one. I can blame Tyers for opening the way for it though.

ponda_barfly
06-19-2002, 02:47 PM
for a first time star wars eu reader, i would read tales from jabbas palace/cantina i thought they were great a good bridge from the films and very easy to read, heir to the emipre is a good follow up.

THj
06-25-2002, 12:33 AM
I just finished The Courtship of Princess Leia last night, and I really enjoyed it. It takes place 6 and a half years after ROTJ, but before the Zahn Trilogy(which is really good too!). TCOPL focuses on, if you didn't get it from the name, Han and Leia, but is not a straight love story, and talks alot about the old Jedi order. Very good.

06-25-2002, 06:13 PM
1 book that I haven't heard mentioned yet that I would highly recommend is Shadows Of The Empire. It's my personal favorite of all the SW novels. A couple of things really make this book stand out for me. For starters, they get to use Darth Vader, since the book is set between Empire & ROTJ. Also, Prince Xizor is such an awesome addition to the SW universe. Finally, the book does a great job of filling in the time between Empire & Jedi.
Like every1 else thus far, I'd also highly recommend the Thrawn Trilogy. Those were great reads IMO.