PDA

View Full Version : A Good Place to Start...

Herby
04-27-2002, 10:13 AM
I have been a fan of Starwars for a very long time but have always rejected the EU books & comics as crap. However, I must admit that I've never really tried to sit down and read any (except for a copy of Tales from the New Republic that I got as a gift, and I never actually finished that). I've decided that I am going to give the whole thing a shot and wanted to know where a good place to start would be for someone with no EU experience. Any advice would be more than welcome...thanks.

gypsyforce
04-27-2002, 10:49 AM
I have read all the books. The ones I picked up first was The Thrawn Triology by Timothy Zahn which includes: Heir to The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and the Last Command. Once, I read these, I got hooked and read everything else.

Darth_Poppycock
04-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Its very difficult to give advice on where you would want to start if you were just going to pick up and read. I say this because i figure a good starting point would be the new series, New Jedi Order. The first book in that series is Vector Prime and there are like close to 10 books out in this ongoing series. What you may not like is that most of the central figures in the books (other than your lukes and leias) you wont know unless you sit down and read every book along the time line. If you were to do that you should start at The Truce of Bakura cuz that book takes place litterally days after the destuction of the second death star in Return of the Jedi. So honestly, to get the most out of it, i would read all the books. But a good starting point is the new series and you can always go and pick up the new Essential Guide to characters to find out what you want about the characters you dont know about. But if anything, just read the books, im sure you will love them. I have been reading them since the begining and the first Zahn Trilogy and i find myself just waiting for the next one to come out. Its torture bit ive learned to live with it

Willy_Wampa
04-30-2002, 11:56 PM
Guess I'd suggest starting with the Thrawn trilogy: (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) by Timothy Zahn. The series is generally considered one of the best among fans. Picking up roughly nine years after ROTJ, it introduces characters that will continue through several books.

Dalton's and Barnes and Noble are currently giving out a free magazine with any SW purchase which has a handy book/comic chronology in it...showing how it all fits together. Might give you some more ideas of what you want to read as well...

Ace_Two
05-01-2002, 01:11 AM
I started with Shadows Of The Empire. For me, it was a good way to ease into it. (familiarity with most of the characters and story.) I also enjoyed it because it was pretty dark and graphic at certain points. That would be my suggestion. I know that there are people on this board who did not enjoy it at all.

Something I think almost everybody can agree on, though, is the Timothy Zahn Thrawn Trilogy. The other books before it are good, but if you didn't read them, you wouldn't be lost. The Thrawn trilogy, however, really pushed the characters along and set up the New Jedi Order books well.

It all comes down to taste, though. The X-Wing series throws some humor back into the Star Wars universe. The "Tales Of..." books are always fun to read. And if you like Jedi, you've got a lot more books to choose from...

Ah, hell with it. Just read 'em all. images/icons/tongue.gif

Herby
05-08-2002, 03:00 PM
It wasn't that I didn't want to read them all, I just didn't want to pick up a book and have no clue who is who just because I bought the wrong book first. I don't really want to buy an extra book just to look up who a character is when I could have just read another book first.
Thanks for the input, I think I'll try the Zahn trilogy, since it was one of the first it seems...

Ace_Two
05-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Another thing you could do, if you don't want to get confused with characters, is read the books in chronological order. After "Shadows..." I went to "Darth Maul - Shadow Hunter" and just started reading the novels and comics in order. I'm up to the NJO books, but I want to read "The Approaching Storm" before I continue.

It's my own little marathon. images/icons/tongue.gif

Zuckuss44
05-12-2002, 05:25 PM
It might be hard to go in chronilogical order. What if you're in the Zahn trilogy when they decide to make a book that comes out before that? If you do start with chronological order, right down what books are out now, read those in order, and then when you're done, read the ones that came out during that time. It's not going to take a night to read them all, trust me. I've only read five books, and they've been all over the continuity. However, I found out a spoiler by accident that occurs in Vector Prime from Star Wars Insider. I didn't even know the book was out yet when I found out, so if you don't want to be spoiled, ignore reviews, just read them, and read them quick. I started with Truce at Bakura, because it was the first book that occured after the original trilogy(I read it before 1999). I suggest that, one of the Republic Era books, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, or Shadows of the Empire. You can always catch the stuff from comics that occurred earlier than that later on.

Chuckles
05-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Ace Two:
Another thing you could do, if you don't want to get confused with characters, is read the books in chronological order. After "Shadows..." I went to "Darth Maul - Shadow Hunter" and just started reading the novels and comics in order. I'm up to the NJO books, but I want to read "The Approaching Storm" before I continue.

It's my own little marathon. images/icons/tongue.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I too am doing this, just minus reading the comics. I started a few months ago with reading all 20 of the Jedi Apprentice books, then went on to the 2 prequel novels to Ep1, followed by the Ep1 novel, the 2 novels between Ep1 and Ep2 and am currently on the 2nd book from the Han Solo Trilogy, The Hutt Gambit. I will go back and read the Ep2 novel once I see the movie first and then continue on with reading them all in order. And if any new books come out that take place before where Im currently up to, I will read them when they come out and then pick back up where I was in the timeline. I figure it will easily take me over a year to read them all but thats fine with me.

Ace_Two
05-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Chuckles:
I will go back and read the Ep2 novel once I see the movie first and then continue on with reading them all in order. And if any new books come out that take place before where Im currently up to, I will read them when they come out and then pick back up where I was in the timeline.<font size="2" face="arial">Exactly.

[ 05-12-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Ace Two ]

05-23-2002, 03:45 AM
I think i started on the thrawn trillogy, but crimison empire is still my fav.