PDA

View Full Version : Characters' ends (SPOILERS)

bibfortuna
02-05-2002, 11:30 PM
I'm wondering how everybody feels about the way Anakin went out in Star by Star as compared to how Chewbacca died in Vector Prime.

IMHO, Anakin went out a hero - he was fighting to the end, and became one with the force - everthing was told from a very personal point of view. I really felt that it worked. I got chills reading it. It brought a tear to my eye.

Chewbacca, on the other hand. Well, first, I didn't want him killed off. Secondly, he wasn't doing anything that great when he died. They just flew away and left him.

Comparing those two character deaths, I was amazed, in retrospect, to realize that Anakin's death affected me more than Chewie's, and I CARE more about Chewbacca.

Borsk Fey'lya - didn't care
Elegos Akla (or however you spell it) - didn't care
The multiples from the X-Wing series - didn't care

I do admit, though, that Chewbacca's death did add some tension to the books. Now, what can happen? What characters are expendable? Lando? I think so. Mara? Maybe. Han, Luke, Leia, R2, 3PO - I seriously doubt it.

Any opinions out there?

02-06-2002, 04:15 PM
I disagree that Chewie didn't die a hero. Anakin was knocked unconscious, and Chewie threw him onto the Falcon, even though he himself couldn't make it. He stood there, waiting for that moon to crash into the planet, howling and daring it to do it's worst...He saved his best friend's son, and died bravely. and how many people did Chewie, Han, and Anakin save before that ? Hundreds ? Thousands ? I think that qualifies as a hero...

echo1441
02-07-2002, 10:11 AM
how can you come to the conclusion that chewie wasn't doing anythong heroic. how many hundreds of lives were saved by him. the direct reason he died was because he was saving as many refugees as he possibly could. he sacrificied his own life in service to people without any hope of rescue.

bibfortuna
02-07-2002, 10:21 PM
OK! My apologies, I stand corrected about Chewie.

What I think I was TRYING to say, is that Chewie's death "scene" didn't hit me as hard as Anakin's death "scene" - and I liked Chewie better than Anakin.

Rob

Matt_Fury
02-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Apology accepted Bib....but I still disagree with you. Chewie's death was very profound to me and I accidentally read a spoiler review at amazon.com before I got the book. (Shortly after that I put a post in the forums to stay away from book reviews on amazon.com!)

bibfortuna
02-08-2002, 11:48 PM
The spoiler thing happened to me too - TWICE!

First, my dad gave me a newspaper clipping about Chewbacca dying, and I started to read it, got 2 paragraphs in, and it dropped the bomb.

I was only 10 pages shy of Chewie dying in the book when I read it! ARRRGGGHHHH

Then, the Insider posted a review of Star by Star, and I got toasted on THAT one, too.

I've stopped reading ANY reviews about any books I haven't read yet, just in case.

Rob

02-14-2002, 07:44 AM
hey bibf,

was that article in the USA today, I got burned on that one too. I saw the pic of Chewie, so of course I started reading it, and ending up tearing the entire paper apart (did not impress those around me)...but that got me to read the book, I got hooked, and before you know it, I've read almost every Star Wars book out...so I guess some good came of it