PDA

View Full Version : star by star----spoilers

jedi_shadow
11-23-2001, 12:24 AM
I really liked the story line of this book. Lady Sith made a very good review of the book on the main page. I am mad about what happened around the end of the book. Why did they have to kill Anakin?? I really liked his character development during this series. He was powerful in the force but young, inexperienced and brash. I was really looking forward to seeing his character develop more during future novels. If they had to kill a Solo why didn't they kill the whining Jacen. I don't like his character at all. I was also sad to see Borsk die. He was a good antitagonist to Leia. I didn't like Borsk but I liked his character (cunning and calculating). I also liked how he died--a captain going down with his ship.
When is the next book due out?

11-23-2001, 06:07 AM
I agree, Anakin should not have been killed...it seems a waste of all the development his character has done over the course of the NJO books...I feel he was just starting to come to grips with his guilt over Chewbacca's death...however, I'm not sure Anakin is gone...others agree with me, (look at reviews on theforce.net) A big deal was made about recovering Anakin's body, it seems like a possibility he's not gone for good...and the next book comes out Feb. 2002...

DMESS
11-23-2001, 08:03 AM
I had the same feeling that Anakin may not be really gone. Why would they kill off a character that seemed to have such importance to the overall story line? I was also a little ticked about the destruction of Coruscant. To be honest, I am getting tired of the Vong.

Matt_Fury
11-24-2001, 03:46 AM
I too don't really believe they killed off Anakin....although I have no clue on how they'd revive him. Another neat plot for future books could be Jaina as a dark Jedi....she's definitely going down that path with Anakin's "Death". Might be interesting if her AND Jacen are captured.

So here's what I came up with with unanswered questions:

Will Tsavong Lah become a shamed one?
Is Anakin really dead?
Just what is up with Vergere anyway????

I also thought it was cool how C-3PO hid Ben from Viqi Shesh and her gang of vong!

11-24-2001, 09:30 AM
Thank you, jedishadow images/icons/smile.gif
As a parent of teens, I was really upset that they chose to kill off Anakin; I fully expected the death to be that of one of the originals. However, upset as I was at Anakin's death, I don't think 'bringing him back' would be a good move in this story arc. I know it's sci-fi and anything can happen, but stories where the dead come back to life are just too hokey, imo. It would almost be beneath them, 'them' meaning Del Rey and those responsible for the NJO series. Now that I've said that, they'll make me look the fool by doing it anyway images/icons/wink.gif

I liked the way Borsk went out, but having Tsavong Lah know of the game maneuver Borsk was trying to lure him with just detracted completely from the scene. No, Borsk may not have deserved anything better, but a Vong shouldn't have had the last laugh.

I agree completely with DMESS about the destruction and death. Losing Coruscant was overkill (pun intended). While I love the stories, the amount of death and destruction they have brought to the SW universe we knew and loved is really starting to get to me. Sometimes I wonder how there can be enough 'good guys' left to fight.

I really look forward to what will happen next with Jaina. Not sure if she'll fall completely to the dark side, but she's teetering. Should be a good read.

rmschneider104
11-25-2001, 04:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMESS:
To be honest, I am getting tired of the Vong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear you. I feel the same way.

At least the Jedi characters are finally doing something in the story.

echo1441
11-28-2001, 01:25 AM
i really enjoyed this book also. i did like how tsavong knew the game borsk was playing. it brings in a thrawn-like element that the story arc gas been lacking.

i too think that anakin will be brought back. that was the first thing that ran through my head when they put so much attention towards rescuing his body over the actual task at hand. this also should really push jainas character in a whole new direction.

i can't wait for the next installment in january

BrianM
11-29-2001, 05:07 PM
My review of Star by Star is only two words:

$#i+ sandwich.

Rogue9Horn
11-29-2001, 09:22 PM
I have conflicted feelings about the book. I was enjoying it until Anakin died. I can't imagine them "reviving" him, unless he left his body like Luke did that time at the temple. I don't think so though because of the way Leia and Luke reacted to his loss in the Force. I am really starting to get worn out on the Vong stuff. The way it's going right now, Ben and Vergere will end up the last two jedi hiding in a "slimy mudhole" and the cycle will start all over again. Actually, I'm starting to hope Jaina and Kyp will team up on the dark side and "force fry" the Vong out of existence. images/icons/mad.gif I wonder if Jacen is going to be cloned to hunt down the rest of the jedi or slowly tortured and sacrificed by Tsavong Lah or both? Anyway, the new Yammosk scrambler should make the upcoming battles a little more interesting. I just hope they don't kill off Luke, Mara or Corran next.