PDA

View Full Version : Tag and Bink are Dead

Todd4LOM
10-04-2001, 03:40 AM
My daily Star Wars fix was satiated by this little gem written by Kevin Rubio. I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but it's great! If you enjoy the humorous stories found in Star Wars Tales give this 2 part story a read, it'll make ya chuckle.

bobafett14
10-04-2001, 06:18 PM
Just read it, a very enjoyable comic. Some pretty unique touches to this one. Can't wait for the next!

PodRacer_X
10-05-2001, 06:00 AM
I assume it was based on Tom Stoppard's brilliant play, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" -- which itself was based on "Hamlet". I may have to pick that one up.

rmschneider104
10-05-2001, 06:33 AM
I, too, picked up a copy this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely a gem (good way to describe it Todd4LOM). It will be cool to see what transpires in issue #2.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: rmschneider104 ]

10-05-2001, 05:49 PM
I really enjoyed the first issue.

My only "complaint" (if you could even call it that) is that it resembles a fan-fiction story that I wrote about a year ago.... Bummer, I guess I'll never publish mine and make millions, buy a private island, and retire. Dang, I guess I'll have to go back to work Monday....

10-07-2001, 08:56 AM
Damn, Rubio just did a signing at Another Planet at Universal City Walk lastnight and I missed it too...

10-08-2001, 03:19 PM
I read it today....... Eh, not that funny and not that good of a story. I like the idea, in fact I love the idea, but it just didn't do it for me.

All the visual jokes were so so. I actually would have perferred it to be a comedy but not so gaggy. The scene with Motti was great because it was an actually funny 'scene'. a Big Boy Diner on the Death Star is amusing but immediately takes me out of the story. The story was good enough as it was, it didn't need the gags.

Todd4LOM
10-08-2001, 06:24 PM
The Big Boy has become a running gag, it also appears in a Pulp Fiction parody in an issue of Tales. The story was a total farce so the gags weren't out of place.

10-09-2001, 09:55 AM
I didn't see it as a farce, that's why the visual gags were out of place for me.

The_Man_with_No_Name
10-13-2001, 08:09 AM
I didn't like the visual gags either. The Star Destroyer in the first panel also had a bumper sticker on it ... don't remember what it said.

I like the story putting Tag and Bink in with the heroes, without them knowing it. I think the readers are smart enough to know it's a farce without the obvious sight gags.

My only complaint with the story is that when Tag (or was it Bink) bonked his head, it should have been the seen in ANH when the troopers go into the control room. Surely Rubio could have worked it so that the two of them were part of the group in that scene? I chuckled out loud when I realized that they were the two talking about the new BT-16 when Obi shut down the tractor beam.

Neat, fun idea. I'm looking forward to issue #2.

HunterIG
10-14-2001, 12:31 AM
I decided to pick it up today to see what the fuss was about, and I found it to be pretty funny. The gags were unnecessary, but they didnt bother me. I look forward to #2.

PodRacer_X
10-18-2001, 05:32 AM
I picked it up and it is, indeed, an homage to Tom Stoppard's play, in which two minor characters' stories are humorously told as the events of a famous dramatic story unfold around them. I'll definitely be reading issue #2.

Zuckuss44
10-27-2001, 06:47 PM
I loved it. It was very funny. I can't wait for issue 2. I loved the fact that Vader picked them as the ones to be his wingmen. And the whole story could sensibly be put into continuity, if Lucas allowed it. Tag and Bink could have easily taken the suits of DS-61-2 and 3, and been mistaken as them. Same for all the other suits they used. The only thing wrong with it is the Big Boy. I thought it was interesting, but it ruined what could have been continuity perfect.

Todd4LOM-The Big Boy was also in issue #4 of Tales, as one of the many statues on Coruscant near the Emperor's palace in "A Death Star Is Born". I guess that the Big Boy is in the same place in the Pulp Fiction one.

Grand Moff Fett-It said "Honk if you love evil."