PDA

View Full Version : Can You Fill Me In On the Comics?

mosnab
07-26-2001, 08:05 AM
I haven't ever gotten any Star Wars comics before, but I am thinking about buying a few. What are your opinions of them? Also, what lines are available (if there are too many to list, don't worry about it). I have read about a "Classic Star Wars" line by Dark Horse....is that still going, or is it too old? Basically any information you can give me would help a lot, I don't know anything about the Star Wars comic world. If you have anything to share, I really appreciate it. Thanks so much, have a great week everyone.

------------------
Happy collecting!

mosnab

George - "So she's using the speed dial as some sort of relationship barometer?"
Kramer - "Its pronounced thermometer" :)

rmschneider104
07-26-2001, 01:06 PM
Mosnab, you've asked some very big questions since Star Wars comics go back to the Marvel series. If you want to start getting details on the books, I suggest you start at Darkhorse.com. Dark Horse currently has the Star Wars books. Generally, they do a great job with the license. Darkhorse.com has a timeline, details on the books, what is coming out in the future, ordering books via www.tfaw.com, (http://www.tfaw.com,) and much, much more. Much of the discussions in this forum cover current books, so that may check around to get you up to speed on what you'll currently find in a comic shop or newsstand.

Overall, here are my thoughts.

Marvel Series... It ran through the late 1970s and into the early 1980s. Some issues and storylines were very good. Generally, they were average and didn't fit very well into known SW continuity. The biggest factor is that Lucasfilm limited what Marvel could do with the characters (since more movies were still planned). Since we have the value of hindsight, many of the books read poorly today and the characterizations seems very one dimensional. If you have never seen the movie adaptations of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, I'd suggest starting there. I also recommend some of the stories that include Lumiya, Valance, and almost anything drawn by Al Williamson. Just don't expect a ton from them and read them as if you were a 10 year old kid. You'll enjoy them much more that way.

Marvel/Star also released a handfull of books related to the Ewoks and Droids. They came out in the early 1980s as well. If you enjoy Strawberry Shortcake, My Pretty Ponies, and Care Bears, you'll love these series. Otherwise, I'd say they are for the completists out there.

Blackthorne released 3 3D issues in the late 1980s. They are pretty tough to find these days (I'm still looking for #3 and have been for years; lost Ebay auctions several times). They are just okay. They do revolve around the central characters. I would think only a completist would really need/want them.

And this brings us up to Dark Horse. Dark Horse brought back the Star Wars books with a rush early in the 1990 with Dark Empire. Since then, they have a couple hundred different books. Some were ongoing series, but many of them were one shots or miniseries. Generally, I find their work to be very good. But, there are some stinkers in there. At this point, I would suggest you checking out any of these books... Dark Empire (a must read), Dark Empire II, most of the Boba Fett books, Darth Maul miniseries, Rogue Squadron books, the Mara Jade series, Crimson Empire, and Star Wars Tales. I would suggest you pass on the following... Droids, Jabba the Hutt books, Tales of the Jedi and the "classic" series.

Current DH books include Infinities (highly recommended by me), Jedi Vs. Sith (not recommended), an ongoing title (recommended), and Star Wars Tales (highly recommended).

To answer another one of your questions, the "classic" books are no longer shipping. They were okay, but nothing too cool.

The good news is that if you are looking to obtain back issues, many of these books still sell for around cover price. Very few have run up in price over the years.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know. I'd be happy to share my thoughts.

I'm sure I'm missing something and some ohter recommendations. Anyone else want to chime in?

[This message has been edited by rmschneider104 (edited 07-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rmschneider104 (edited 07-26-2001).]

bobafett14
07-26-2001, 02:55 PM
What he said.

My favorites would be Shadows of the Empire, the Fett series, any of the Tales (the first two were great), and the Crimson Empire series.

Quigonbyebye
07-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Absolutely right! Start with looking at Darkhorse online! Just about everything that is available can be purchased through their Things From Another World affiliate. Darkhorse has a nifty timeline available on their website, which not only puts everything they've done in order for the SW universe, but gives you direct access for puchasing. My recomendation is to start with the Tales Of The Jedi collection, which is also availble in Tradepaperback form, which is great for saving the cash!!! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
I have a bad feeling about this...

Todd4LOM
07-28-2001, 04:46 AM
Since nobody mentioned the Thrawn Trilogy adaptations, I will. Read the books first if you haven't, but these are great companion pieces, most scenes look the same on the page as they did in my mind.