PDA

View Full Version : Audio Dramas

07-14-2001, 03:30 PM
Has anyone else listened to these? I think the Star Wars audio dramas are an interesting little nook into the EU that many fans don't know about. They expand the stories of the comics such as DE and TOTJ so much. If you've listened to these, let's discuss them!

07-15-2001, 07:44 AM
I listened to these several years ago, so I don't remember much at all except that included was the cut scene at the beginning of ANH (with Luke, Biggs, Cammie, etc).

------------------
BHC Moderator, Books and Comics
ladysith@collectstarwars.com

rmschneider104
07-16-2001, 04:27 AM
I have listened to them all. I much prefer the ESB version. I thought Perry King did a pretty cool version of Han Solo. It was also cool to hear some conversations between Solo and Skywalker once Han had saved Luke out in the cold and had set up a makeshift shelter. Oh, the battle scene to start it all off with the space battle around
Derra IV was very sweet.

It was nice to finally have the ROTJ version a few years back. There for awhile I thought it would never get done.

07-17-2001, 12:46 AM
Some of the Audio dramas are very strange.

Crimson Empire The Audio Drama, is done full out. They sound and effects from the movies, but if you were just to listen to it and had never seen the comic you'd assume that Royal Guardsmen use LightSabers. For the combat scenes with Kir Kanos they use the light saber effect for his weapon and it is very jarring. When I was listening to it all I could think about was "Geez, its Lucasarts! They couldn't record some sort of sword fighting sound or some other type of combat sound? How lazy were they?"

jedicrippler
07-17-2001, 11:49 AM
You're a little mixed up there Miktan. That's an audio book you're talking about. The others are talking about the radio dramatizations of the movies themselves. The audio books are pretty much dramatized readings of the various novels. Whereas the audio dramas are the radio versions of the trilogy that were aired on NPR.

I've got all three of them & can whole-heartedly agree that they offer various interesting insights into some of the stuff that wasn't seen in the movie versions. If I remember correctly there's even an extended bit in the Empire one involving Leia's quarters & what R2 & 3PO did to mess them up.

------------------
"Do you work in a petting zoo?"

07-17-2001, 06:59 PM
No, jedicrippler, the audio dramas I was referring to in the original post were the adaptations of comics. Crimson Empire truly was an audio drama, as was Dark Empire 1 & 2, Empire's End, Tales of the Jedi, and Dark Forces. They have a full cast without a narrator. Some books have audio book adaptations, but this thread was started to talk about the EU audio dramas, such as Crimson Empire.

jedicrippler
07-17-2001, 09:13 PM
Ah, terribly sorry then. I didn't even realize you were just wanting to talk about the EU audio books. I guess LadySith & rmschneider104's talks got me to thinking this thread was about the radio dramas primarily. My bad. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
"Do you work in a petting zoo?"

07-18-2001, 01:19 AM
Yo I guess you are just a Foul up then huh Jedicrippler?! Huh! Yeah I thought so.

Anyway, back to the Audio Dramas!

I didn't know there was audio dramas for the Dark Empire stuff.

All I've seen (but not heard) , other than the Crimson Empire, was CE2, and Tales from the Jedi.

Tell me mo'!

Log
07-18-2001, 02:05 AM
The only one I've heard so far is The Last Command which was narrated by Anthony Daniels and like most other SW audio books, it had sound effects and music from the movies(well the Trilogy, as TLC was recorded in '93).

Good adaptation and overall an entertaining way to kill some time.

Is the Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter audio book any good? For that matter, is the novel good?

------------------
"The doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughin' at me!"- Homer Simpson

07-18-2001, 06:34 AM
I believe there is some confusion here. I'm not talking about books on tape. Not the ones where a narrator reads a book word for word. I'm talking about real audio dramas based on EU comic books. They have full casts, and have been reworked for the audio format. They have added scenes, and some of the characters have been reworked a little. They are really cool, and I recommend checking them out. As for the DE dramas, they really flesh them out. If you ever wondered WHY Luke turned to the Dark Side in DE, then the audio dramas delve more into why.

Todd4LOM
07-28-2001, 04:59 AM
I have Dark Empire II, and the Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina: The Band's Tale, audio dramas, the former is a bit cheesy, and the pacing is off because they don't give pause to the battle sequences.

We Don't Do Weddings: The Band's Tale is pretty cool. They essentially expanded on the short story from the Tales book, and have a full cast as well as music and sound effects. I picked it up pretty cheap at a B Dalton. I never even knew it existed until I saw it.

I'm not sure how many of the stories were done like this, but I know they did one for Nightlily: The Lover's Tale as well. Anyone else got these?

Ziz
10-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Anyone have or know of a complete list of all the Full Cast Audio Dramas (as opposed to the simple audio books)? I have DE1, DE2 and TOTJ. So far, I know of:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Dark Empire
Dark Empire 2
Empire's End
Crimson Empire
Crimson Empire 2
Tales of the Jedi
Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith
Dark Forces (3 parts)[/list]Anything else?

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Ziz ]

Ziz
10-12-2001, 10:53 AM
Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

r2dee2
10-16-2001, 09:38 PM
You can see a list of a good number of the audio books at the SW Collector's Bible (http://www.sandcrawler.com/SWB/bantam.html#co_bap)

10-20-2001, 04:10 PM
Ziz, on top of those are the Tales from the Mos Eisely Cantina dramas. They have:
We Don't Do Weddings: The Band's Tale
Nightlily: The Lover's Tale

Todd4LOM
10-20-2001, 10:09 PM
That Nightlily tale audio drama is terrific!
I really want a Feltipern Travagg figure after hearing it. Someone want to start a petition?