PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horse doing "What If" stories with Star Wars...

04-12-2001, 08:44 AM
If yo uread the inside cover of the newest issue of Star Wars Tales, which I recommend as a regualr buy because they almost always have 2 good stories to tell, you'll read a coming soon article. They tell that Dark Horse is creating a "What If" scenario like what Marvel used to do but with Star Wars instead. It will be called Star Wars Infinites: A New Hope.

Reads that Luke fires off his Proton Torpedos at the Death Stars main reactor but misses and Alderaan is destroyed, so they go on to tell what would happen after this occurence. I can't wait for this! These tales could be endless! You just know they'll go over plots like

"What If Vader was not Lukes father?"
"What If Darth Maul didn't die?"
"What If Leia never saved Han from Jabba?" and tons of others. This is going to be a great series...

------------------
You know, sometimes I even manage to amaze myself.

apokolips
04-12-2001, 11:04 PM
I was working on a few short stories a while back that were "what if" scenarios.

What if Ben didn't lie to Luke? - In this story, Ben told Luke the straight story in his home on Tatooine. Later on the Death Star, As Ben and Vader are having their fateful duel, Luke starts walking over to them. Ben realizes Luke is overwhelmed by his desire to reunite with his father. As Ben lunges for Vader, saber blazing, Vader strikes him down. Luke is terribly hurt by this, but realizes Vader killed him in self-defense. All of this serves as a distraction for Han, Leia, and the others to escape. Luke and his father are reunited, and Luke's training is to begin. Tarkin is disturbed by Vader's atypical behavior and decides to alert the Emperor to the arrival of Skywalker's lost son. The Emperor is also worried, knowing that if Skywalker's son lived he would be a threat to him. He makes an immediate trip to the Death Star to personally oversee the events unfolding. You see, the very important factor in this story is that Luke turned himself over to Vader without turning himself over to the Dark Side. He is the shining light on the Death Star. Training sessions with Luke are giving Vader a whole new sense of purpose after twenty long years of destruction. It's around here that I stopped working on the story, but it ends pretty much the same as ROTJ, with Luke and Vader taking on the Emperor together, and ruling a more benevolent Empire as father and son.

What if Luke had been hidden on Alderaan, and Leia on Tatooine? - Leia Skywalker is a desert-dwelling tom-boy, racing speeders with her sun-bleached hair blowing in the wind. She hopes that some day she can leave this planet and become a pilot like her father. Prince Luke Organa of Alderaan has lived a pampered life, but always had an urge to do what was right for his people. He served as the Senator of his homeworld, while secretly organizing missions for the Rebellion against the Empire. It's on one of these missions that he is kidnapped and reported dead by the Empire. Before his incarceration, he's able to upload a holo-message for Obi-Wan Kenobi into an R2 unit. And the adventure begins... This story was going to have interesting twists on the Han/Leia romance, and also play the whiny Luke as more of a pompous-***.

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force! (http://www.wickedforce.com)

04-25-2001, 02:55 PM
I'm actually looking forward to these new books. I love reading AU stories, and I was hoping some day someone would do this.

------------------
"There is no spoon."

rmschneider104
04-26-2001, 07:11 PM
I, too, am looking forward to the alternate universe stories. It should provide a "fresh" perspective on things we have known for decades. I just hope they keep it from getting too cheesy.

05-26-2001, 10:32 AM
i read the first comic in the infinite sreies and it is very exciting.

05-29-2001, 09:14 AM
I read A New Hope, Infinities Pt. 1 myself. I have to say, even though I do enjoy the story, I am rather dissappointed by the art. Anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I'll read this to the end, but the art in this book doesn't drive me to pick up any other Star Wars books.

------------------
Always know where your towel is.

rmschneider104
05-29-2001, 01:29 PM
I thought Infinities #1 and the artwork was adequately done. Nothing too great, but I've seen lots worse. For one of the all time worse SW related comics, check out "Starcrash" (from the ongoing series; about 2 issues ago). Poor writing. Poor artwork. Poor everything. That book has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

05-29-2001, 01:36 PM
I am right with you about the art work...although I do not care for the Disney Ducktales style of Underworld either.

Basically, I will give the CB another months try, but be much more skeptical about plunking down $3.00 per book for sub-standard art.

------------------
Over?? Was it over when the Germans bombed Perl HarboR!!!?? Hell no! - Bluto Blutarski

05-29-2001, 07:52 PM
I think I can make 4 books with poor artwork as long as the story is interesting. I love the concept, and I hope they do a good job with it.

I was plunking down $3 a pop for Star Trek until the quality of the story met up with the quality of the art somewhere in the basement of my house http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Always know where your towel is.

Todd4LOM
06-08-2001, 09:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aiacha:
I read A New Hope, Infinities Pt. 1 myself. I have to say, even though I do enjoy the story, I am rather dissappointed by the art. Anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I'll read this to the end, but the art in this book doesn't drive me to pick up any other Star Wars books.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with you, the artwork is less than stellar. But I like the art in Underworld. I think it would be more appropriate for a Tales story, but I dig the guys style.

[This message has been edited by Todd4LOM (edited 06-08-2001).]