PDA

View Full Version : Why I strongly dislike EU

Old_Cocky
03-30-2001, 08:55 AM
I was going to post this in the book section but nobody really goes there so here is my rant...

I'll preface this by saying I have read some EU but not for a long while (The Tales from Series which I rather enjoyed), anyway I decided to pick up the latest book Shadow Hunter detailing Darth Maul's adventures preceding Episode I to try and get some background on this cool guy and the Neimoidians. I am half way through and enjoy the book except for this...

Why do Star Wars authors insist on using simile and names from supposed back water planets like Hoth and Tatooine? Lucas created Tatooine to be like his hometown in California a distance from the bright center of the galaxy. In Shadow Hunter we have the Dewback Bar, the Bantha Inn, as mad a Ronto, the Wampa Technique (I don't remember these verbatim but you get the gist). I mean come on!!! Can't you come up with something new to add to this universe??? Why reuse the same old tired cliched things again and again from places people on Coruscant should never even know about from a planet that is about as sparsely populated as Southern Chile...end rant.

[This message has been edited by OCB (edited 03-30-2001).]

mousedroid
03-30-2001, 10:43 AM
I think it's for the familiarity factor it provides for kids or casual fans that aren't as deeply into Star Wars as we are. Also if someone says "strong as a Wampa," you have a point of refernce, whereas if they say, "fiesty as a Hixdiluvian Snarlsquirt," you'd be like, wtf is a Hixdiluvian Snarlsquirt?

As for how people in the bright center of the Universe would know about Banthas and Dewbacks and Rontos (oh my!), you've heard of Pandas and Zebras and Australians haven't you? http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Hoth was a wasteland with no permanent settlements (that we know of) so I could see people not being familiar with Taun-Tauns and Wampas, but Mos Eisley was a major space port, even if it was "out of the way." Consider for instance Hong Kong as it relates to New York City or Paris. Luke would be like a Chinese farmboy 100 miles up river from Hong Kong, feeling like he was as far from the bright centers of western culture as Luke felt he was from the center of the galaxy. Doesn't mean he couldn't get there if he had the resources. Remember, Luke was a big whiner in ANH. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Old_Cocky
03-30-2001, 11:10 AM
I see your point mousedroid and I understand why they keep reusing the same thing again and again...its not so much the simile used, that serves its purpose as you stated to keep with what people know especially for the non-hardcore fans. Its the name thing I guess more than anything. Perhaps I'm just being picky but I just cringe everytime something like this comes up in this book.

And one other thing, I just really don't think Lucas intended Tatooine to be the Galactic source of naming everything in the universe...two other I remember from the book know the Rancor and the Kryat Dragon one was a fighting style and the other was a simile I believe. I'm waiting for the Tusken Bar, the Jawa Technique and the Uncle Owen from outside of Mos Eisley's Bargaining Manuever http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif Sure I know what a zebra is, but do I know what the Argentines use for their beast of burden is and do I name my bar after it? In Episode II do you expect Anakin and Obi-Wan to walk into The Womprat and order some Tatooine delicacy? No...

Lucas I believe did intend Tatooine to be a reoccurring place in the trilogies because this is common in many myths and legends where a hero rises out of the middle of nowhere to save the day. I guess I just wish the authors of EU would expand the universe a little more than the same old boring things...

03-30-2001, 05:08 PM
I agree with you 100% OCB. I've felt insulted by this same principal on many an occassion. It seems as if the authors believe we the readers have no ability to derive meaning from context. So what if there's a made up word with no previous SW reference, if its in a cliche then I can pick up the meaning.

Personally I've just generally felt that most (not all) of the authors were hacks who seem to over-utilize the 'here comes the cavalry out of hyperspace just in the knick of time to save our seemingly doomed heroes' element to resolve the final conflict. I have not read them all but 'hack'pole stands out in my mind as doing this a lot.

My other problem is most of the time the books are about as subtle as a 9 pound mallot. Why, whenever a story does not focus directly on a major SW movie character, do they have to blatantly tie or connect them to the Skywalkers or the Solos? Can anybody be a hero in the universe independent of them? If not, can you at least be a little more discreet on the connection?

[This message has been edited by darthbrak (edited 03-30-2001).]

musasa
03-30-2001, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water here. I haven't read Shadow Hunter, but there are some novels I have read which are at least equal to Lucas' imaginative vision, if not superior.

Some excellent series are the Jedi Academy Trilogy, the Han Solo trilogy, the first Zahn series (NOT the Hand of Thrawn), and (in some ways) the New Jedi Order series.

These books explore a wide range of planets, while introducing some very memorable characters. Best not to disregard them out of hand before reading them.

I'm sure this discussion will continue, but it'll have to do so in the books section. There are a number of folks who post there. Anyway, for those interested in pursuing this thread, ya'll head on down to the Comics and Books section, ya hear?

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
musasa@collectstarwars.com
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

[This message has been edited by musasa (edited 03-30-2001).]