PDA

View Full Version : 'Shadow Hunter' is out

02-01-2001, 09:00 AM
I am eagerly awaiting opinions from you guys on this book. I was ready to pass on it since it's about Maul, but the summary I read doesn't sound too bad. So ~ convince me it's worth it. Then again, I *do* have every SW novel published....

I'll give y'all a few days to read it first http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
BHC Moderator, Books and Comics
ladysith@collectstarwars.com

rmschneider104
02-01-2001, 10:58 AM
LadySith,

I'm kinda leaning like you. I went to Walden's on Tuesday and found Shadow Hunter in its drop bin. I had every intention of buying it. But I picked it up, read over the dust jacket, and realized that I wasn't all that fired up about it.

So, I put it back. I, too, own just about every novel, so this action surprised me. I'm sure I'll go back and pick up a copy, but on Tuesday, I realized that I could live without it.

I'd love to hear some reactions to the novel.

rmschneider104
02-14-2001, 02:23 PM
Okay, I have picked up a copy Of Reaves' "Shadow Hunter" and I'm on chapter 15. Thought I would let everyone know my general thoughts.

Overall, it is a decent read. Nothing great so far, but nothing too horrible. It is a fairly quick read and the plot isn't all that complicated. There are some cool references to events outside of E1 (especially if you have read the Darth Maul Dark Horse comic books), so that is interesting. The pace is fairly quick and it is nice to read about some jedi that we aren't already familiar with... Darsha Assant. Of course, she has her trials and tribulations. Unfortunately, the book really doesn't give lots of details or motivations about the events leading up to beginning of E1.

I'm hoping for a big climax in the second part of the novel, but in reality, I'm expecting a ho-hum finish.

I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars at this point. Maybe more if it finishes strong.

DMESS
02-15-2001, 12:54 PM
I got this yesterday and just started reading it. So far it's OK. I'll let you know more after I'm a little farther.

Rogue9Horn
02-15-2001, 07:57 PM
SPOILER WARNING!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK THEN DON'T READ THIS!

I've said it before, any SW book is a good read compared to not having one. Did that make sense? Anyway, I found myself rooting for the good guys and wishing Maul would get killed. Of course, we know Maul can't get killed in the book so I was hoping they could at least escape somehow. Not! Even though you could basically figure out how it was going to end, it was still a good tie in to EP 1. I am a very details oriented reader and the only real misstep imo was the authors reference to Pavan as having a Quixotic notion of revenge. I seriously doubt any Republic Literature classes read Don Quixote.

rmschneider104
02-19-2001, 06:56 AM
Well, I finished up "Shadow Hunter" last night. Overall, it finished about how I expected. I won't spoil anything, but Maul turned out just like you would expect him, in all his badness.

I'd give it a final grade of 3 out of 5 stars. I agree, that something Star Wars is usually better than nothing Star Wars, to read. Just not one of the best novels out there.

The_Man_with_No_Name
02-24-2001, 08:23 AM
I enjoyed this a lot. The pacing was quick, it was an easy read without being convoluted, and I liked the cameo with Qui Gon. By the end of the book, I really cared for the main characters, and was sad to see them go (even though we knew they had to in order to wrap up the story before E1).

I also think Maul's arrogance was captured well, making it easier to accept that yes, he really was unprepared for Obi's move in E1 that killed him.

Overall, I enjoyed this one a lot more than anything the NJO has offered lately.

03-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Well, I picked up S.H. because my local discount book store is going out of business (this is bad http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif) I'm glad I've added it to my collection. Quick read ~ yes. Predictable ending ~ yes (it HAD to be, else the Jedi would have had some forewarning about Maul). Fun ~ yes! I really liked Darsha; would have been nice to see more of her. Oh well. It belongs in the collection http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
BHC Moderator, Books and Comics
ladysith@collectstarwars.com

04-06-2001, 06:22 AM
I just finished SH this week, and enjoyed it. There wasn't a whole lot to it, but it was an entertaining read. Since I read books for entertainment, I'd say it was worth my money.

Dark_Jedi
04-25-2001, 11:37 PM
Ladysith,

Have to agree Darsha rocked! Would love for a DH comic on her sometime. I am a customizer and would love to make her but I don't remember a description of her. Can anyone help me out? Thanks