PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Meglia : Underworld

01-12-2001, 05:48 AM
I am a big fan of Joe Madureira,J. Scott Campbell and Humberto Ramos and I like the "cartoony" and Manga type of comic book art.
I also like this Carlos Meglia guy. I never really paid much attention to Star Wars comic artists in the past but his stuff seems to stand out in the crowd. It is interesting how he draws arm hair in big rectangular shapes.

rmschneider104
01-13-2001, 08:06 PM
I agree; the airhair is weird. But the style is growing on me. The first time I viewed the art (back in Tales #5, if I remember correctly), I wasn't all that fired up about it. Now that I've read both issues of Underworld, it is definitely growing on me. It is just kinda fun and refreshing.
Plus the story is pretty good.

01-28-2001, 03:25 PM
I like the art too. I've heard of lots of people who haven't. I think it's a refreshing change, and gives the comics more of a "reread" factor that other comics don't have.

bobafett14
01-30-2001, 08:33 PM
I'm one who does not like the "cartoony" art. I would love to see a comic(perhaps a one-shot) that uses extreme detail. Imagine a comic that has the detail of most of the cover art we see(possibly a Dave Dorman comic book). Now that would be an awesome comic! It would be a lot of work, but if done right, it would be a must for the collection. I'd pay!

02-17-2001, 08:53 PM
Same here, My favorite SW artist is Tim Bradstreet, hes the guy that did the Baron Fei cover. If you lke extreme detail hes your man. The only downside is he only does covers. I like Camphell and Maduria, but This Meglia guy work is waay too cartoony. Its distracting.

03-19-2001, 11:05 AM
I disliked the cartoony artwork in "underworld" when I first read the story, but now I think it's kind of cool - I'm always looking for something unique/new, and the "realistic" art of Dave Dorman is, IMHO, uninteresting since it looks almost "too" real. While I don't think the art in "underworld" would be appropriate for all stories, I think here it's fine. I've always tended to like very distinctive, and at times exaggerated, artwork. Some favorites that come to mind are: Frank Miller, Walter Simonson, Bill Sienkiewicz, Todd McFarlane, and too many others to list....I would love to see all of the above artists draw SW story - Simononson did for Marvel back in the early '80's, but the others haven't....