PDA

View Full Version : New SW Tales...

12-29-2000, 07:04 PM
...is really nice. It's the cover with Vader holding 3PO's head. They have some very cool stories inside, especially the last one. Leave's nice insight to what's left of Vader's humanity when he finds out the droid is C3PO.

------------------
You know, sometimes I even manage to amaze myself.

rmschneider104
12-30-2000, 05:02 PM
I agree; the latest SW Tales book was a good one. I enjoyed the Vader story as well. It was nice to see them draw some continuity between the films (even though the books aren't considered "canon"). Don't forget that Tales #6 comes in 2 covers (1 illustrated and 1 photo of Yoda).

I liked the Yoda story, too.

bobafett14
12-30-2000, 07:29 PM
I love the "Tales" comics! I bought the Yoda version for the fact that there really aren't that many yoda comic covers vs. Vader or 3PO covers. Anyone know which have a higher production #? I know the Lando "Tales" had 2 covers also. Seems to be a trend in SW comics lately. Most have a picture cover and a comic cover. Is one usually produced more than the other? I'd love to know.

rmschneider104
01-02-2001, 06:10 AM
I don't know the specific print numbers of the two covers. All I do know is that my local comic shops (there are 2) did not get any of the illustrated (Vader and 3PO) covers. One of the shop owners said that his were on backorder (this happens fairly often with this dealer). I personally don't think that he orders enough copies the first time around.

Although I only collect SW-related comics, I hear that the alternate/variant cover gimmick is a growing trend again. If I remember correctly, Image was big with this trend in the early 90s. It ultimately drove a lot of folks from the comic market as there were just too many books to buy. Plus, buying multiple copies of the same book gets old. From what I hear, Marvel is doing the multiple cover thing now, with others following.

Hope this helps.

01-02-2001, 07:56 AM
I don't collect/read the SW comics, but I do know that this has become a trend as rms pointed out. I hope that most fans will NOT fall for the trap and they (publishers) quit it. I've seen ToyFare do this many times, as well as TV guide. Even the Ep1 novelization had 4 different covers, as well as a magazine (I've forgotten which one) that had E1 hype in April 99.

PodRacer_X
01-02-2001, 08:54 AM
I don't care much for multiple covers at all. I buy these to read the stories inside.

This particular cover with Vader holding Threepio's head was cool because it instantly reminded me of the graveyard scene from "Hamlet". "Alas, poor Threepio. I knew him, Horatio."

01-05-2001, 07:22 AM
Multiple covers suck. I was lucky enough to get the last copy of the Tales #6 with the Vader/Threepio cover since I don't care for the Yoda cover (I don't like photo covers - it's a comic book, so the cover should be artowork), but the particular Tales that I got had a rip in the cover - I got a $1 off, but I'd rather have a ripped artwork cover than a mint condition Yoda cover...my particular retailer got more of the Yoda covers than the Vader/Threepio covers, which SUCKED - if all the covers had been artwork, I wouldn't have had the problem...

rmschneider104
01-05-2001, 10:21 AM
I agree that multiple covers suck. As a person that suffers from being a completist, I usually pick them all up. It is just in my nature (wish it wasn't, though). I know I should walk away with one, but I just cannot.

If they are going to do them, I would prefer that the comic book folks would make one of the covers more limited. At least that would help increase the "value" of one of the covers. I would also like them to do it on a limited basis, for each #1 issue, for example. This multiple covers for Tales #5 and #6 (and I think #7 is coming with 2), will get old quick. Also, making the more limited one have something cool (foil cover, for example), might make the pill easier to swallow.

Generally speaking, they suck. If done with some thought, I could deal better with them.