PDA

View Full Version : Chip StarPics: How'd they do that?

05-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Wow, these things are neat. How'd they do that?

JediMike1128
05-05-2002, 07:09 PM
I know, they are pretty cool! images/icons/cool.gif when I first got mine (R2 and 3PO) I was like... oh wow... but then I remembered u have to hold it under the light to see the pic clearer. And I was amazed like a 6 yr. old kid! images/icons/grin.gif I can't wait 'til I complete the whole set. images/icons/smile.gif

Jango_Fettish
05-05-2002, 07:25 PM
Yeah, TRU had em first with the Monsters Inc promo 3D cards. Cool stuff, very innovative.

BigDumbWookiee
05-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Ive seen other things that use a similar concept: Basically, they program a computer attached to a laser to scan over the pieces of plastic. By using varying degrees of heat and different amounts of time, the plastic is carved out in different levels. I absolutely love these things! I just acquired a 9 inch by 9 inch yellow clonetrooper piece, basically an entire regular size set will fit on top of it! Definately cool stuff!

05-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey where'd you acquire the 9 inch piece?

Also, it almost seems as though they put an image in the plastic... like behind the it... cause there seems to be not enough detail for the image that comes out

BigDumbWookiee
05-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by BobaFaid:
Hey where'd you acquire the 9 inch piece?

Also, it almost seems as though they put an image in the plastic... like behind the it... cause there seems to be not enough detail for the image that comes out<font size="2" face="arial">A friend of mine works at Frito Lay, and they had a lot of extra display items, which the oversized piece came from.

Im about 99% sure that there isnt an image in the plastic, it just gets its vividness from the thicknesses of plastic used; they also have stuff like this in art stores, and museum stores, where they take classic art and use the same process to make translucent images on plastic, wood, glass, etc

AdmAckbar
05-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I really like these too. I now have 7 different and no doubles. I never been this lucky before within anything.

05-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Actually I realized that what they do is take a simple image and using a Turin Shroud style effect they make the dark parts thicker on top, and the lighter parts thin enough so the light can shine through. Pretty simple really. Therefore, Mace is half thick, the one part of his cloak is very thick, and the glare off his bald head is very thin to represent the lightness.

GNT
05-07-2002, 04:44 AM
Any pictures of them under the light?

05-07-2002, 07:43 PM
my first one c3po and r2-d2

05-07-2002, 11:50 PM
These things definately rock.
I have 6 now, 2 doubles.
C-3P0 & R2-D2 (2x)
Jango Fett (2x)
Anakin
and the spiffy yellow Clone Troopers