PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone answer this question for me please?

JediMAC
04-01-2002, 01:59 AM
I was considering a trade for some of the Tri-lingual packaged HTF Episode 1 figures. Can you tell me if the Commtech Chip phrases for these foreign releases actually contain phrases in other languages, or all of the Commtech Chips in English regardless of the package they come on and the country they're sold in? Thanks a lot for any help!

Force_Guy
04-01-2002, 10:45 AM
That I know of personally, there were at least two different variations (languages) of foreign speaking Commtech chips made: Spanish & French. I have both versions & they sound pretty neat. The lines are actually spoken in the respective language! I heard it mentioned that they also made German & Italian speaking chips or European Commtech chips that spoke multiple languages but I've never seen or heard them for myself. Anyway, the answer to your question is yes, the foreign Commtech chips speak in their respective foreign language.

[ 04-01-2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: force guy ]

indigovic
04-01-2002, 11:09 AM
I seem to recall that many of the foreign COMMTech figures have a notation at the bottom of the card saying which language the chip "speaks."

-Vic.

Beedo
04-01-2002, 03:05 PM
I think the only way of telling is by asking the seller. I sent Findswoman some customiznig fodder, and she said that some of the figures spoke English, while others spoke French. On a trip to Germany, my pal Carl "The Doctor" Stitz brought me back a German-speaking Senator Palpatine. Chilling.

Oh, and apparently, C-3PO and R2-D2 were, at various points, marketed in Italy as B3-DO and C1-P8, respectively.

JediMAC
04-01-2002, 06:20 PM
Cool. Thanks for the help guys!

Wow! Thanks again for all the rest of the responses that followed as well. I wasn't expecting quite so many, but you've all been very helpful! I shall consider myself informed now!

[ 04-02-2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: JediMAC ]

musasa
04-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Chips were released in French, Spanish, Italian, German, and English. This is a complete list. I know, since I have every JD Maul. I collected them like a nut in 1999. images/icons/grin.gif

musasa
04-01-2002, 07:22 PM
BTW, there are no multi-lingual chips. People were thrown off by the multi-lingual packaging. One chip. One language. That's all. Nada mas. images/icons/smile.gif

GNT
04-02-2002, 04:33 AM
Werent they marketed as COMMtalk instead of Commtech?

From Left:Howard,Brittney,Elmo,GNT,Ambu,Zhon and ET

http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gif http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gif http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gifGNT™ http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gif http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gif http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/icons/icon44.gif

Findswoman
04-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:
Werent they marketed as COMMtalk instead of Commtech?<font size="2" face="arial">Yes, that seems to be the case. The two figures I got from Beedo that spoke French were on cards with about 4 or 5 European languages that said "CommTalk." (So did the jointed Greedo he sent, who also seems to speak very good French. images/icons/wink.gif ) The other two that spoke English were on American cards with Japanese stickers, so they said "CommTech." I had to dig the cards out of the cardboard recycling to check because I got pretty confused about it the first time too.

And just as Musasa says, I can't get my French-speaking Padmé and Amidala to speak anything other than French. But that's all right, because it's a great way to get a rise out of my husband. images/icons/grin.gif

Hey, that actually reminds me: Does anyone else have a French-speaking Amidala? When she says the translation of "This is my decoy, my loyal bodyguard," she seems to be saying it as if the decoy/bodyguard were masculine, which is how the card has it: "C'est mon leurre, mon fidèle garde du corps," while the German translation gets the gender right: "Dies ist meine treue Leibwächterin." Anyone? I don't really know French, so maybe I'm missing something, but it just seemed a little funny, & I was curious.

By the way, Beedo, thanks again! images/icons/smile.gif

... the Findswoman

musasa
04-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Commtalk was the European name for Commtech. However, on the North American trilogo figures, which include French and Spanish versions, they're still called Commtech, if I remember correctly (my figures are in Taiwan, and I'm not).

As to the French, it could be that that particular word generally takes the masculine, regardless of the gender of the person being referred to. This happens with a few French nouns (ex, 'une personne'). OK, I've checked a dictionary. 'Un garde' is someone who guards you. 'Une garde' is someone you take care of, as in a 'charge.' Maybe a native French speaker could clarify this for us, since I could be off in my interpretation of the dictionary, which is pretty tiny. images/icons/smile.gif

Now might I add, I'm quite happy this is the second linguistic discussion I've participated in in the last week at the BHC. images/icons/grin.gif

Beedo
04-02-2002, 03:55 PM
You're more than welcome, Findswoman. Glad to be of service.

Well, I took French from age 8 to age 23. I'm not exactly a native speaker, but I can get by. Some French nouns take odd articles. For example, practically EVERY word ending in "-age" is masculine, except for "la plage" -- "the beach". "Leurre" is always masculine, regardless of the gender of the individual. Any other questions? images/icons/wink.gif

And as for linguistic discussion, Musasa, you will find that these forums hide a great many people of diverse and wondrous talents. Fun, ain't it? images/icons/grin.gif

Good Hunting!

Force_Guy
04-02-2002, 05:50 PM
Musasa, I envy your foreign Maul collection, especially your German speaking Maul. I have both Spanish & French speaking versions of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, & Maul, & in addition, a Spanish speaking Watto. Did they ever make a foreign speaking Yoda? And have you ever tried recording the foreign Commtech dialog onto your computer? I've tried but I need to invest in a good microphone.

musasa
04-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Yeah, the Maul collection cost me a bit to put together, but it was fun. There were foreign Yodas. I haven't tried recording those foreign Maul clips, and I'm afraid I can't now since none of my figs are with me.

Beedo - yes, in my years on the board, I've met a good many people with wondrous talents and backgrounds.