PDA

View Full Version : TPM DVD!!!

10-08-2001, 07:03 AM
Since we are about a week away, I thought I would ask yuo guys this question. Where or how will you get EPISODE 1 on DVD. I am going straight to Best Buy. The price for the first wekk will only be 18 dollars, and I have a 20 dollar gift card from my birthday images/icons/grin.gif

rmschneider104
10-08-2001, 07:57 AM
I, too, will be getting my copy at Best Buy. I hope I'll find "Thumb Wars: The Phantom Cuticle" there at the same time. Anyone think it will be there or will I need to hit a Suncoast or Sam Goody???

Ed_Lee
10-08-2001, 10:24 AM
Amazon...I'm paying under $5 shipped, as I get a few free GCs from them every month or two through sites like Vividence, etc.

I figure I can wait a few days to recieve it...unless they send it out early...! images/icons/smile.gif

Ed

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~enchntr/sig.gif

Darth_Broem
10-08-2001, 05:29 PM
Best Buy. It's the cheapest priced that I have heard so far. 18 dollars I believe.

Todd4LOM
10-08-2001, 06:14 PM
I'm gonna check Sam's Club, but otherwise Best Buy.

Membraneman
10-08-2001, 07:41 PM
Wal-Mart for me, 24 Canadian which works out
$14.36 U.S. images/icons/shocked.gif

Matt_Fury
10-08-2001, 10:19 PM
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon already....so I guess I'll be getting it from Amazon.com! images/icons/grin.gif

It should be on my doorstep the day I return from Vegas!

Draven
10-08-2001, 10:25 PM
Pre ordered my 2 copies at EB. Since I traded in a bunch of crap. I don't mind paying a few dollars more. Since I pay no cash out of my pocket! images/icons/grin.gif
Draven

GNT
10-08-2001, 10:30 PM
From whih ever shop has it first images/icons/smile.gif

10-09-2001, 12:31 AM
Probably Wal Mart like when I got Phantom Menace when it debuted on video. I wanna be there and buy it at 12:00:01..like last time.

Boba_Fish
10-09-2001, 06:15 AM
I'll be heading out to the local flea market. There's a big booth in there that sells DVD's, and they always put the new releases out the Saturday before the release date! Yep, I'll have a copy in hand this Saturday morning if all goes well! images/icons/grin.gif

royalguard96
10-09-2001, 06:45 AM
Best Buy is the place to go.....17.99 for this set, you can't beat it.

mrgonk
10-09-2001, 07:56 AM
I bought the VHS at Virgin Megastore but the DVD I'll probably just get at Target since it's the closest store to me.

10-09-2001, 10:18 AM
I Preordered it from Amazon...I have company that weekend following (parents visiting) and I'll have enough to do cleanign and such. Let it come to me images/icons/smile.gif

brew
10-10-2001, 11:07 AM
membraneman, is that true about walmart? I work right next door to a&b, and found they've consistently beaten walmart and futureshop.. $24.. sweet price, sweet disc.. 6 days to go!

Boba Rocks, are you going to leave the dvd in it's wrapper? images/icons/tongue.gif

Big_Friggin__Dar
10-10-2001, 01:36 PM
I bought it at Blockbuster Video late Tuesday night. $22.99.

Membraneman
10-10-2001, 02:39 PM
Hey Brew, yes sir I have the flyer in front of me right now... images/icons/shocked.gif

bobafett14
10-10-2001, 03:02 PM
Suncoast video, it's $22, but they usually have some kind of exclusive handout of somesort, for an extra couple bucks, what the hey!

Darth_Kenobi
10-10-2001, 04:10 PM
I will probally buy it at Best Buy when it first goes on sale for 17.99. Now all I have to do is buy a DVD player.

Skinny_Jabba
10-11-2001, 12:19 AM
I'll get mine at Wal-mart. My girlfriend works there and her discount will come in real handy.

Loopy_Leia
10-15-2001, 04:47 PM
Okay, how many people are getting TPM DVD, tomorrow? I gotta say that I won't be getting it. I'll tell you why. My boyfriend is buying it so then I figure since we are getting married sometime in the near future why have duplicates of something? I can't wait however to see what kind of goodies will be on to see if it'll be even worth seeing..harsh sounding I know but it's the truth!

I have TPM VHS which isn't as good as the DVD I am sure but if it's in DTS I don't even have the decoder but potj01 does! I'll just borrow his when we move in together...hehehehe..sneaky!

mrgonk
10-15-2001, 09:25 PM
Jusr got it!
arrived home at 12:25 from Virgin Megastore now to stay up all night images/icons/smile.gif

Darth_Meskin
10-16-2001, 04:01 AM
Got the DVD in the mail today from Buy.com (A DAY EARLY! Ha ha!), and had the opportunity to watch many of the extras. In short: I think fans will be VERY happy with this set.

The thing most of us are looking forward to on this set are the extras on Disc 2, right? Well, I was NOT let down by these, and was in fact surprised by the quality of some of the deleted scenes.

First, the one-hour documentary "The Beginning". This doc reveals moments of filmmaking bliss and anguish that any movie lover, not just SW fans, will find intriguing. Just a few choice moments:

1.) The reading/audition of several would-be Anakins (including Jake Lloyd) with Natalie Portman. The surprise here? Jake Lloyd is clearly the best one of the lot!

2.) Ewan McGregor and Ray Park rehearsing their now-legendary final duel, followed by the moment an ecstatic Ewan gets to choose his own lightsaber hilt from a case of a half dozen hilts.

3.) A game Ewan McGregor pontificating to Lucas about "thick Scottish Highlander hair" as they shave off his mullet for a Jedi 'do!

4.) Lucas growing mildly frustrated with the wandering mind of an unfocussed child actor named Jake Lloyd.

5.) Silas Carson making off-color wisecracks as he tries on the animatronic head for Nute Gunray.

6.) Steven Spielberg's early morning visit to the EP1 location, where he toys with a lifesize battle droid and basically seems as geeky about Lucas' universe as the typical fanboy.

7.) Lucas and Co.'s deflated reaction after watching an early rough cut of TPM.

8.) Lucas telling John Williams to leave in the chorus on "Duel of The Fates", because it's a piece of music that is going to be very important in EPIII, and is needed now to foretell the fact the story is "leading to doom".

9.) Footage of insane audiences lining up to see the opening midnight show in San Fransisco, and Ray McCallum telling a packed theater of lightsaber-wielding moviegoers, "This is f---ing AWESOME!"

And then there's my favorite deleted scene, the Extended Lap Two of the Podrace. I am actually pissed that this footage didn't make the final cut. The humor and derring 'do adventure in this deleted sequence alone rivals the entire final cut version of the Podrace sequence. Here are just a few cool things in it, some of which you may already know about:

1.) Anakin doing a sideways and upside-down roll in order to get past one of the more aggressive pod racers.

2.) The deployment of a flying pit droid clean-up crew. Anakin actually crashes into one of them!

3.) Sebulba "flashing" another racer with flames from his engine vents, and then again as Anakin pulls up near the lead.

4.) Tusken Raiders taking angry pot shots at a ballsy band of Jawas scavenging the wreckage of a just-crashed pod.

5.) Anakin having to think fast to re-attach a disconnected and flailing engine hose to his pod. This moment in particular was really cool and unexpected.

The accumulative effect of this deleted lap footage makes the race seem less redundant, funnier, its participants more vividly connected, and the race in general more fleshed out (you no longer have to wonder what the hell suddenly happened to everybody else!). But the most important thing: It shows Anakin acting quickly and intelligently under pressure in ways that amount to more than just "re-wiring" his dashboard. My only conclusion as to why this footage was left out of the final cut is: 1.) Cynical intentional deletion to tout for "DVD Extras" release; 2.) Didn't have enough time to properly finish the effects during post or 3.) Really thought the race scene was better without it. If it was #1, damn their black hearts! If it was #2, God bless 'em. And if it was #3, they dropped the ball editorially. I believe the scene, as well, as Anakin's character, would have been better served by leaving this footage in the final cut. Maybe they could have sacrificed three of four Jar Jar flatulence jokes to make room...?

The other extras I've watched so far are also cool (for instance, it's great to have the excellent "Tone Poem" TV spots in one place), but the highlights I've mentioned make this set worth the purchase for me.

Feel free to post any DVD reviews here once you get your own greedy little hands on it! images/icons/smile.gif

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Darth Meskin ]

brew
10-16-2001, 09:27 AM
I'll be strolling to the store around lunchtime.. I have a store next door to work and a DVD player in my work laptop, it's hard to resist, but have to buy at a certain store..

Broc
10-16-2001, 09:43 AM
I got mine on Friday Oct. 12th......AMAZING DVD...JUST SIMPLY AMAZING....My jaw is still on the floor!

KingTigerII
10-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Kinda Upset.........

I Hope all the Deleted scenes where added to Disc 1,.....

Oh Well..Over all it's Great!!!Enjoy Watching.....

Panzer!!!!

mrgonk
10-16-2001, 02:24 PM
they should've made it like the T2 DVD where you can choose Original theatrical release or special edition with deleted scenes OR the secret easter egg edition with all deleted scenes.

I hope when the original trilogy is FINALLY released on DVD you can choose original release or '90s special edition, but I know the flaneled one considers the Special edition the one and only version.

Bart_Skywalker
10-16-2001, 04:40 PM
Just got my copy!! I am so excited to see all that is on it. images/icons/grin.gif

10-16-2001, 04:48 PM
I stopped by Nebraska Furniture Mart (IT's ONLY &16.88) and they sold out of their initial allotment of 500 in less than 3 hours. They are expecting 700 tommorrow, and as of 4:30 this afternoon, 371 of them have been reserved for tommorrow....

HunterIG
10-16-2001, 05:43 PM
I just watched it, dissapointed the deleted scenes werent inserted into the movie. They were awesome scenes too.

Phil
10-16-2001, 05:47 PM
Actually the Taxi scene and part of the extended Podrace scenes are inserted into the actual movie.

Phil
10-16-2001, 05:47 PM
[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Phil ]

mrgonk
10-16-2001, 07:02 PM
Those outtakes are so funny! Especially Yoda.Love that speeding sandcrawler too! I kept watching that one over and over[/LIST][/LIST]

10-16-2001, 07:59 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!

KingTigerII
10-16-2001, 08:08 PM
I Could stop Laughing at the Tuskin Raiders Shooting at the Jawas.... images/icons/grin.gif

Panzer!!!

Todd4LOM
10-16-2001, 08:24 PM
This is the best DVD I own and I've barely scraped the surface. The Sandcrawler thing is hilarious!

Jedi_Idej
10-16-2001, 09:38 PM
Hopefully this resets the standard for dvd. No more practice of releasing a bare-bones dvd only to re-release it a year later with added features for an additional premium, under the banner of Platinum Series or some horsecrap like that.

amanaboone
10-16-2001, 09:59 PM
Did anyone else put a $5 down payment on the ep 1 dvd at Suncoast/Sam Goody? I foolishly let myself get talked into about 2 months ago. I knew that i would pay more there than i would at other retail stores. I could not believe it when i went into Suncoast this morning to purchase the DVD. Their price was $29.99. I was shocked but grabbed it since i had already paid on it. I ripped it open before i even got to my car. That was my 2nd mistake. I went to walmart and it was $19.99. I couldn't believe it. I then went to target and they had it on sale for $17.99. I just about flipped. I could have ripped up my $5 down payment receipt and bought it and target, and still saved $7. I felt like such an idiot, but at least i knew when i got home i would be watching my first s.w. dvd. Even for $30 it was still definetely worth the money, and i sure learned a lesson.

Sprry75
10-16-2001, 10:06 PM
As a former Sam Goody/Suncoast employee, let me just tell everyone to STAY AWAY!! The Musicland Group sucks (Sam Goody, Suncoast, Musicland, and Media Play). I heard they were recently bought by Best Buy, so maybe things have changed, but while I worked there, it was scummy.

rmschneider104
10-17-2001, 12:27 AM
Got mine over the lunch hour. Cannot wait to get home tonight and put it in.

Mike_S
10-17-2001, 12:46 AM
I just noticed somehting slightly different in the Galactic Senate scene in the TPM DVD.
If you watch Senator Orn Free Taas podium (When the entire Senate are all shouting 'vote now')
they have removed the two normal looking human extras and replaced them with Twi'leks.
Cool stuff.
I still haven't watched the entire thing but what I have seen is astonishingly spectacular. I had it turned up so loud that the place began to tremble.
Well worth the wait. images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

Fletch
10-17-2001, 01:51 AM
As for these extra scenes in the movie, the DVD version last four minutes longer than my video... (I didn't time it - it was written on the back!! )

This might be an Irish / UK thing but it seems there could be quite a few changes in the new DVD...

Is this the Phantom Menace Special Edition??

HunterIG
10-17-2001, 02:23 AM
I really really hope they are working on a Trilogy set. Its been undeniably proven the clarity they can put into the video and audio. I cant wait to watch it on a 36" Sony WEGA if I ever get around to paying down some of my credit card.

Another_Galaxy
10-17-2001, 04:28 AM
If you want to see something else hilariuos, watch it in Spanish, or more specifically, the first scenes with Jar Jar. He actually becomes amusing! I didn't watch the whole thing, just the first 15 minutes.

rmschneider104
10-17-2001, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PanzerSShocktrooper:
I Could stop Laughing at the Tuskin Raiders Shooting at the Jawas.... images/icons/grin.gif

Panzer!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here! I saw that while viewing it last night I was rolling. I was so loud, in fact, that my wife asked me to quiet down so I wouldn't wake our son. Too precious.

rmschneider104
10-17-2001, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear about that situation a-boone.
At least you'll know better next time.

I didn't pre-order anywhere as I was sure there would be more than enough copies floating around.

Yes, even at $30, it is still a great DVD. I've paid more for the Disney special edition 2 packs (Bugs Life, Tarzan, etc) and spent $50 for about the same amount of material.

Todd4LOM
10-17-2001, 09:53 AM
I never pre-order anything video/DVD related, and I'll only reserve stuff when it doesn't cost me anything. There's nothing so rare that it can't be found upon release, as long as you know where to look. Most places over-ordered the TPM video, you'd think they'd learn their lesson with the DVD but the Media Play near me had a crapload of them.

10-17-2001, 10:02 AM
Did they include the Vaseline with your purchase? OUCH!!

10-17-2001, 10:05 AM
I think I'll wait onthis one until the holiday sales kick in. It will probable be on sale for $10 by then.

TEAMRICO
10-17-2001, 10:48 AM
Since Im in the Army over here in Germany I got mine on post at the local video store for $22.95. The best part was that I scored the Cardboard Standup of Darth Maul that holds the DVD's!!!!!!!
A little charm goes a long way.
My wife wants it to go down stairs!!!!!!!
TEAMRICO

Darth_Bonk
10-17-2001, 10:50 AM
20th Century Fox studio store. $15.00

10-17-2001, 02:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEAMRICO:
Since Im in the Army over here in Germany I got mine on post at the local video store for $22.95. The best part was that I scored the Cardboard Standup of Darth Maul that holds the DVD's!!!!!!!
A little charm goes a long way.
My wife wants it to go down stairs!!!!!!!
TEAMRICO<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you Afganistan bound?

Loopy_Leia
10-17-2001, 06:29 PM
Good deal, people. I want to see it on DVD sooo bad! I have the VHS version of it but it seems to me that VHS's are sucky now and DVD's are better, don't know why. I have heard that the outtakes are funny ...guess I got to wait another week to see them images/icons/frown.gif Oh well!

Here's a question! Why do DVD's come out on Tuesdays?

Loopy_Leia
10-17-2001, 06:52 PM
Media Play. I think their prices for DVD's are too high. You could go to wally world and get TPM for 17-19.99 but at MP I think it's probably $25 which is stupid. I shop at Media Play quite a bit and almost am thinking about changing to Wally World but I am disappointed with our because there really isn't that much of a selection. ugh...the pain of it all!

The_Clone_Ranger
10-17-2001, 08:07 PM
Eveything comes out on Tuesdays...video games, Audio CDs, magazines, but as for the actual reason, I don't know.

As for the DVD, WOW. Is it just me, or did they remix alot of the audio? You can hear the Imperial March when Yoda is telling Kenobi he can train Anakin, and there's some real freaky chanting (Aside from DOTF) right before Maul kills Qui-Gon.

Also, there's a little more added to the final duel, when all three are in it. I'm glad to see they did add some of it back in. Maybe by the time the Ultimate Edition of all 6 comes out, the scenes will be back in.

QUESTION: how do you access the Easter Eggs with a DVD-ROM?

10-17-2001, 08:26 PM
Everything comes out on Tuesdays so that all stores will have a chance to recieve their stock on (or by) Monday. This way no one retailer has the items earlier than another.

TEAMRICO
10-18-2001, 01:52 AM
Unfortunatly not.
I would not mined goin there to kick some *****!
Been to the Gulf so it would be nothin' new.
I'll just sit back and watch the Air Force have some fun!

10-18-2001, 08:06 AM
Would have been much better if they added in the deleted scenes to the main movie.

Sith_Lord_Cosmo
10-18-2001, 09:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Princess Leia:

I have TPM VHS which isn't as good as the DVD I am sure but if it's in DTS I don't even have the decoder but potj01 does! I'll just borrow his when we move in together...hehehehe..sneaky!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not in DTS, which was a disapointment to me when I first read the specs. However, this Dolby 5.1 mix is amazing. I would say its better than some DTS mixes I have.

I haven't had a chance to watch the extras yet, just the movie. I did like how they put the extanded podrace and air taxi scenes in

FortySix
10-19-2001, 12:43 AM
i liked how through out the documentries on disc 2 there were little snippets of ot scenes, the han/greedo scene, x wings for example. this was a nice taste of how the ot will be like on dvd. also hopefully with the strong ep 1 sales dollar signs will light up in the eyes of lucasfilm and we will get the ot on dvd sooner.

edit: d'oh, i meant to post this in the prequels section, sorry.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: bespin escape ]

10-19-2001, 02:23 PM
does the menu contain a jar-jar scene delete selection?

Darth_Meskin
10-19-2001, 03:48 PM
Boba Fett,

Yes, the "Jar Jar Scene Delete" option is on the same menu as the "Interesting Dialogue That Actually Sounds Like People Talking To Eachother Replacement Option".

You will also be happy to find a selection for "Increased Screen Time for the Things In The Movie People Want To See Rather Than The Dull Sh*t They Don't Want To See Insertion Option."

Then of course there's the "Believable, Moving, and Competent Performance From a Totally NON-Grating Child Actor" Selection.

There are a dozen other selections similar to these, but it's a very complicated code you must enter to make the menu appear, far too complicated to list here.

Good luck finding it! images/icons/smile.gif