PDA

View Full Version : Episode 1 Palm Talkers

Boba_Binks
02-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Today at my local "Comic Carnival" they had some of the Episode 1 Palm Talkers for $19.00 each.
I got Jar Jar Binks, Battle Droid, Yoda, and Darth Maul. They did not have R2-D2. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif
All of them come in a clear plastic box all written in Japanese. They speak English except for Darth Maul. He speaks in Japanese, which is cool.
I must say Now I cannot wait to find the Classic Trilogy Palm Talkers that have been showing up in pictures. These little guys are so cool.

What do you think of the Palm Talkers?

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

Log
02-02-2001, 04:20 PM
I think the Palm Talkers are pretty cool. They seem to be Hasbro's way of cashing in on the super deformed anime figures that some people go nuts for.

I'm not sure if I would buy all of them though. Maybe just Maul and Yoda from E1 and Vader, Fett, and Stormtrooper from the Classic Trilogy.

Depending how easy they are to find and what the final product is like up close will depend on if I get the whole set but yeah, I like em http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
"Aw, isn't that cute? Makes Little Debbie look like a pile of puke."-Moe Syzlak

musasa
02-02-2001, 10:19 PM
Well, these are Japanese designed and made products, distributed by TOMY, and nothing to do with Hasbro. Hasbro is essentially importing the English version of these products into the US. There should be an English version of the Maul available. I've also got several of the 'deformed head' sets and little wind up figures. The palm palkers are far and away the best of the lot.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
musasa@collectstarwars.com
May the toys be with you...

Darth_Sifl
02-03-2001, 11:47 PM
R2 speaks English? http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously though, I am all over the classic ones when they come out this summer. I've been drooling over the Japanese ones ever since I first saw them.

------------------
Chewie's a mime
and the Force is fine!

4__LOSW
06-24-2001, 12:14 AM
I looked in the toy archive to look over anything I might have missed to buy to complete my episode 1 list before episode 2 comes out and I am 95% done.but I noticed these palm talkers (yoda,r2-d2,battledroid,darth maul and c-3po)does anyone know if they were produced(it says japan -tomy maker)and if they are available here in US or does anyone have to trade or even if ebay has seen these on their auction sites.Let me know,i am a completeist and am very close to finishing up POTF2,episode1 and am caught up on the latest POTJ(except duros wave)Thanks for helping.

musasa
06-24-2001, 02:16 AM
The E1 Talkers were released in Japanese and English versions, mostly in the Japanese market, but easily available world-wide through on-line e-tailers like Noble Toys. Last year, they were easy to find in Taiwan. But this year, I've seen far fewer.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

Boba_Binks
06-24-2001, 05:36 PM
I have the Darth Maul, Yoda, Battle Droid, Jar Jar Binks palm talkers. I got them from a comic book store. They came in Tomy boxes and all speak English except for Mr. Maul. He speaks Japanese.
Pretty cool toys. If you ever find them pick up a set. There was also R2-D2 but I never found him. I will just wait until th enew Palm Talkers come out in the next month or so to get him.

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

4__LOSW
06-25-2001, 01:20 PM
thanks for the info Boba Binks.How much did you pay for them and did they ever make an english talking maul?Also,do you know anywhere I can locate them at all?

musasa
06-25-2001, 07:36 PM
As I posted, they did make an English Maul. They weren't released in the States (to the best of my knowledge), but you can probably hunt a set down on-line somewhere.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

mosnab
06-19-2002, 09:23 AM
Ok, sorry, another question. I have posted a number lately, relating to Yoda-related items. I have been slowly working on a Yoda collection (great time to start I know, with his popularity soaring with Episode II), and I was wondering about the availability and price of the Japan-made Episode I Yoda palm talker. I actually found one on ebay yesterday, but ended up losing the auction. Are these easily found and/or available? What are common prices? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

musasa
06-19-2002, 08:52 PM
They retailed for $12 or so in Japan. They used to be pretty easy to find in Taiwan, but that was when they first came out 1-2 years ago.

mosnab
06-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Any idea what a reasonable price would be to pay for the Yoda Palm Talker? And where (other than ebay) that you could find one. I have only seen one up on ebay twice in the past month or so, one comboed with a Darth Maul palm talker that went for less than $20 (I was outbid), and one that is currently up on ebay for $40 or so. Is this a difficult piece to find/obtain? Any advice? Thanks in advance, God bless.

musasa
06-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Yoda was not particularly rare when it was released. I'm really not up on current secondary market prices, sorry.

naboo_pilot
02-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Does anyone have any info or pics of these elusive E1 palm talkers that were sold in Japan? I'd like to know what characters were released and if they come in the same style package as the super deformed palm talkers we saw here, i.e. (Chewie, Fett, Vader, etc) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Root leaf! I go...HmmmmHMMM
-Yoda

sithlord424
02-28-2003, 11:27 PM
I have the darth maul and battle droid, they came in a red package similar to the ones we had here. I believe they also released jar jar,boss nass and yoda, but that i am not sure, I found my two in a flea market for $10 each.

naboo_pilot
03-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Thank you so much for the info sithlord424.

r2dee2
03-03-2003, 02:43 PM
HERE are a few pics (http://r2toyforce.net/superdeformed.htm) images/icons/smile.gif

indigovic
03-03-2003, 05:20 PM
The Japanese Ep I palm talkers come in two versions - with English soundchips and with Japanese soundchips. The "word balloon" bit of packaging near the character's feet is in English if the toy speaks English, and it's in Japanese if the toy speaks Japanese. (Artoo obvously doesn't actually speak either language, so there's only one Ep I version of the toy, but I think the packaging is still available in two versions.)

-Vic.

r2dee2
03-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by indigovic:
The Japanese Ep I palm talkers come in two versions - with English soundchips and with Japanese soundchips. The "word balloon" bit of packaging near the character's feet is in English if the toy speaks English, and it's in Japanese if the toy speaks Japanese. (Artoo obvously doesn't actually speak either language, so there's only one Ep I version of the toy, but I think the packaging is still available in two versions.)

-Vic.
. <font size="2" face="arial">Interesting, I didn't know that images/icons/cool.gif The R2 I have has the Japanese balloon and all the others I have are with the English ballon. THANKS for the info!! images/icons/grin.gif

Kris
03-03-2003, 07:17 PM
cool, any samples ?

naboo_pilot
03-03-2003, 10:11 PM
I just saw an auction on ebay fortwo E1 palm talkers, Maul and Yoda. They went for almost $40.00 before shipping! Pretty scarce and high demand!

WhiteChocolate
10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Whatever happened to the Episode 1 Palm Talkers? Why weren't they released in America?!

Forhekset
10-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Dunno why they were never released here, but I wish I could find a set.

rmschneider104
10-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Nope, they weren't released here. Just overseas. From time to time, I see them on ebay.

Deak_Starkiller
10-17-2003, 03:03 AM
Weren't these the ones made by TOMY Japan? Then if so, perhaps they couldn't find a retailer here in the states except online.

The classic trilogy ones saw VERY limited release here in the states, which I only saw at TRU and no where else. Came across all the ones except the Stormtrooper.

Til next report...

Master_M_M
10-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Yup,they are TOMY Japanese exclusives and avaliable in Japan.They are set of 5:Darth Maul,
Yoda,Battle Droid,Jar Jar & R2.

Forhekset
10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Arknew:
Weren't these the ones made by TOMY Japan? Then if so, perhaps they couldn't find a retailer here in the states except online.

The classic trilogy ones saw VERY limited release here in the states, which I only saw at TRU and no where else. Came across all the ones except the Stormtrooper.

Til next report... <font size="2" face="arial">Yeah, I never even saw the OT palm talkers in stores. Had to get mine online, and they sold out very quickly most of the time.

r2dee2
10-17-2003, 11:41 AM
I too had to get my Episode I Palm Talkers from a Japanese store online. You can probably still find a set of these on "ebay"

The Ep.I Palm Talker and the POTJ Super Deformed R2 were pretty much the same, just a light "paint" difference in the wires. The Super Deformed C-3P0 seemed to have a paint problem and the gold paint on the body seeped off, while the gold on the arms were fine. This was not on ALL of them, but I think many of the first ones had this problem.
http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/palmtalkersc3p0hasbro_5.jpg

MORE PICTURES (http://r2toyforce.net/superdeformed.htm)

Forhekset
10-17-2003, 02:38 PM
That's strange, r2dee2. My 3PO is fine...I opened him up, though. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

Master_M_M
10-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by r2dee2:
The Ep.I Palm Talker and the POTJ Super Deformed R2 were pretty much the same, just a light "paint" difference in the wires.
[/b]<font size="2" face="arial">I didn't notice that.I assume that they are exactly the same.Just in different packing.

r2dee2
10-18-2003, 10:22 AM
I think they ARE the same, except for the slight color difference in the wires.....and the packaging as you said, Vader Fett:)

http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/palmtalkersr2compare_5.jpg

Master_M_M
10-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah,I can see the different.
Thanks for the photo,r2dee2 images/icons/smile.gif