PDA

View Full Version : CommTech Chips!

Pages : [1] 2

12-21-2000, 09:34 PM
I do! I miss the CommTech chips!

As good as the new POTJ figures are, I can't help but think what Sebulba and company would look like on a Episode I cardback and a CommTech chip "Now with TWICE the speach!".

"Chubaaaaaa!" - Sebulba from the CommTech chip

What is YOUR opinion?

12-21-2000, 10:15 PM
I think someone's gonna get an *** whoopin' http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

Log
12-22-2000, 08:53 AM
LOL Contagious!

Seriously though, CommTech was ok. They were ****** looking stands and it nice to finally have stands come with the figures but as cruddy as the audio quality was, I'm MUCH, MUCH happier with Jedi Force Files(Thanks to them,I've learned things about characters that I never knew before)

If you want a Sebulba on an Episode 1 card, make your own. If you don't know how to, check out some customizing sites as I'm sure someone has made one.

Like I said, the only thing I miss about CommTech is that they were cool looking stands but I think Hasbro is making figures stand up better as none of my POTJ figures fall down at all. I stand the figures on their shelves and they stand fine, so CommTech isn't that big of a loss to me though.

To each his own I suppose...

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 12-22-2000).]

Boba_Binks
12-23-2000, 07:28 AM
I remeber seeing the moch ups of the packages for the POTJ line at teh New York Toy Fair. They had the Force Files along with the CommChip in front. I was so pleased with that desing since I thought at the time Hasbro was keeping the CommChips and just adding the Force Files.
But I agree, I miss the CommChips.
I hate the Force Files.

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

JediTricks
12-24-2000, 05:04 AM
I never DIDN'T like the commchips, although some of the early ones were pretty bad. But I totally enjoyed the technology of them a lot more than the bland and poorly-made Jedi Force Files.

------------------
How older fans saw The Phantom Menace: "Star Wars was brought to you by the letters 'E' and 'P', and the number '1'; and was paid for by a grant from W. M. Keck Foundation."

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Log
12-24-2000, 05:45 AM
I think it's funny that since we don't have CommTech anymore, everyone is saying how much they loved it but when we did have CommTech, everyone hated it.

I can't tell you how many times I saw people speak out against CommTech; everyone wanted a new pack-in and we got it in the form of the handy Force File. Force Files are better IMO, because you learn things about characters that you might never have known before.

Besides, think of all the characters who didn't have lines that would have to have lines made up for them, were CommTech still around.

What would figures like Dagobah Vader and Boomer Damage Battle Droid say? People complained that figures had lines that weren't in the movie(E1 figs at least) but like I said, now CommTech is gone and everyone likes it whereas everyone hated it when it was around.

I prefer Force Files myself though.

12-24-2000, 02:25 PM
I really wish they'd at least made some ESB or ROTJ Commtechs. At the very least, they should've made the Old Ben Commtech, since Luke supposedly interacts with him.

As for what some of the POTJ figures could say:
Dagobah Vader: "Ouch! That was my head! Oh, wait, no, it's YOUR head!"
Mas Amedda: "Careful, Chancellor. I believe they're going to call for a vote of no confidence!"
IG-88: "Akeema, IG-88 wins!"
Tusken Raider: "Grrrrunk! Garrrrunk, grrunk!"
Boomer Damaged Battle Droid: "Roger, Rog--rrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzap!"

------------------
--
http://fan.starwars.com/elchuxter

12-27-2000, 08:28 AM
I agree that some will be missed.Chewbacca"growling"at the chess table.A nice Boba fett "he's no good to me dead" And it looked like to me, they were starting to get it together, with some of these.The R2D2-holo leia is a good example.The blue R2 is also good.Maybe just the droids then?

12-29-2000, 11:36 AM
I never did like the CommTech chips, and I'm glad they're gone. So HA!

PodRacer_X
12-29-2000, 11:55 AM
What skawookiee said with an additional, "HA!".

12-29-2000, 11:11 PM
the jawa commtech chipwas the most reallistic.every one elses except the r2 units were bad.
i miss the stand part but aw hell.the forvce files are pretty cool!

------------------
straight from the hallowan labotories from the assasin droid project......the phlutdroids!
-----------
ive been watching you captian rendar.i plan on stealing han solo from boba fett to get the bounty from jabba the hutt.....and theres nothing you can do.
-ig-88(from star wars shadows of the empire)
----------
you were right about one thing master.the negotiations were short
-young ben kenobi(sw ep.1 tpm)
--------------
you stuck up,half witted,scruffy looking nerf herder!-leia oragana
hey!whos scruffy looking?-han solo
(sw:ep5 esb)
---------------
i better be getting paid for this-boba fett
(from star wars masters of teras kasi video game)
-------------
toad is the greatest!-toad from the x-men

12-30-2000, 01:02 AM
Either way your still paying for them at$6.99 a figure. (:~)

Log
12-30-2000, 01:03 AM
Like you Phlutdroid, I STRONGLY prefer the Force Files over the CommTech chips.

Yeah it was nice getting a stand but you can buy stands from about any online store or most likely any collectible store in your area. They don't cost a fortunew to get either.

None of the POTJ figs have problems standing up so I think stands could be a thing of the past.

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 12-30-2000).]

12-30-2000, 01:25 AM
I would rather have the ctc rather than the Force Files for the simple fact that you get a stand with the fig. CTC coul'de been great, but sound qualtiy ruined it for me.

dave_maul
12-30-2000, 10:48 PM
Man, alot of you are so against CommTech chips!?!? At least you got to use it as an action stand in addition to the chip.....right?

Log
12-30-2000, 11:18 PM
Well, I'm not really against CommTech because it was a really cool idea and some of the chips sounded good(Tarpals, Jawa, R2 Units) but like I said, the stands won't be missed since the new figs stand up really easily.

The_Man_with_No_Name
12-31-2000, 07:36 AM
I prefer the Force Files too.
The Commtech sounded awful, and as stands, they were ugly. Plus, I didn't like the way they looked on the package, and Hasbro needed that huge ad on the back of the card just to explain them, instead of pictures of new figs.

The FF look better on the card, and I think they're kind of a clever idea.

AmanaMatt
12-31-2000, 10:22 AM
well, I picked up the Chewbacca Commtech 2 chip at Frank&Sons yesterday, and let me tell you twice the speech does not mean twice the audio quality: featured is Chewie growling twice, 2 creature effects, same crappy laser blast, Han talking, and C-3p0 responding - But it sounds awful, they still have a very synthetic quality.

12-31-2000, 12:15 PM
The "Force Files" are pieces of paper with a few old pic and some made-up information on them. I believe the only reason they exist is to keep Hasbro from having to create a new card for each figure.

CommTech Chips a) added a dimention to the figures never tried before by any SW toy line - movie lines, and b) doubled as a stand for each figure.

I would have LOVED to get an oval Chewie chip like that, but it doesn't fit into my figure budget at all. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

BobaFett77
12-31-2000, 02:35 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of the Commtech Chips either, but, I have to say that if I had a choice between the chips or the force files I would definitely go with the chips. The force files do absolutely nothing for me! When I open up a figure the force files goes straight into a baggie with the rest and up into my closet. I know the chips had bad sound quality but at least I got some use out of them by standing my figs on them.

Hey Amanamatt, were you the guy I saw buying the chip from 2 young guys who run their own booth? I have to agree with you on the sound quality of the Chewy Chip. Mine is the same way. I have to admit that I kind of like the style of the chip though.

AmanaMatt
12-31-2000, 03:15 PM
yup, that was me. I don't regret buying the chip - it does look cool - I was hoping for a more realistic sound, though.

On a personal note, I would love to hear the Tusken Raider chip.

I was suprised how much more info was on the Chewie Chip.

GNT
12-31-2000, 06:28 PM
Hey amanamatt,how much did you pay for it???

01-01-2001, 03:21 AM
One Word: Coins

Why didnt Hasbro come up with coins instead of the stupid Force Files( worthless pieces of paper if you ask me, just to justify increase of prices on figures, or no decrease, with little effort in their cost)?

When Commtechs first came out i was against them ,but now that Force Files are out, I love the Chips!!!

I mean who will start a collection of force files? Not me!, Force Files have no collectible qualities!!!!!If you want some important info about the characters, then they should have done like they did on the orange cards, green cards, with the info on the back of the cards.
Now coins on the other hand would be just as good as the Freeze Frames, which i think was one of the smartest ideas that theyve ever had.
Hasbro could then make a mail away Coin Holder, and we could use our Jedi points off the cardbacks for mailaway special Coins,for figures already released , the possiblities would be endless.

HASBRO, CANCEL FORCE FILES AND BRING US SOMETHING WE CAN COLLECT,OTHER THAN THE FIGURES!

The_Man_with_No_Name
01-01-2001, 08:31 AM
Didn't someone around here mention coins a few months ago, with a twist, though?

Each fig would come with a coin representing that character, but the coin would also have a footpeg on it, so it could double as a stand. Now I think that would be a really neat idea.

01-01-2001, 11:00 AM
Some of them I didn't mind such as luke, han solo, R2 with holo leia, sio bibble, jar jar binks, jawa, greedo, stormtrooper. The vader one sucked big time though.

And speaking of sucking has anyone heard the scrapped "twice the speech" chewie one on rebelscum.com? Twice the speech but the voice quality still stinks.

------------------
Messa going home!

Log
01-01-2001, 12:30 PM
I heard the wav files of Chewie's chip and let me say, thank you to Hasbro for scrapping the things. Chewie's chip ranks up there in the "cheese factor" along with the chips from Jedi Master Qui-Gon, Naboo Swamp Jar-Jar, and CommTech Vader.

Stands are not expensive at all. Entertainment Earth and various stores sell them at very cheap prices so I don't see why everyone freaks out about not having a stand with the figure. My figs stand fine so I could care less if a stand comes with them or not.

As Grand Moff Fett said, the CommTech chips sounded AWFUL(only a few were good) and they were indeed butt ugly as stands.

With the Force Files, you get information on the character in question and you don't have to waste 3 seconds of your life listening to chips that sound like a Speak And Spell that got smashed in by a golf club.

There are some stores in my area that do charge Hasbro's suggested retail of $5.99 for POTJ figs so the price drop did take effect in my area at least so that's another reason I'm thankful for Force Files.

A fold out booklet beats a crummy Speak And Spell wannabe voice chip anyday IMO.

Qui_Tom_Jinn
01-02-2001, 03:29 PM
If I had to choose, then I would choose the force files. They take up less space and don't collect as much dust. Also I don't have to worry about saving all of the cardbacks now, since they are the same. Hasbro is saving me a ton of space.

------------------
Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner,
Boomer Sooner, O-K-U!

AmanaMatt
01-02-2001, 04:27 PM
GNT,

I paid $75 for the commtech chip. Pricey for me, but I don't expect these to turn up in droves.

PodRacer_X
01-03-2001, 06:22 AM
How about completely scrapping CTC's, Force Files, Freeze Frames, and Flashback Photos, and just giving us more cool accessories to justify the price?... Like Aunt Beru's treadwell droid or Chewie's Dejarik Table!

GrahamILTC
01-07-2001, 06:34 AM
Anyone who now says they miss the Commtech chips gets dissed big time, cos every1 complained about the CC chips before- but the reason people complain is cos the Force Files are worse! Who wants them? At least the CC chips could be justified by Hasbro sayin 'kids want them', but what kid wants to read a crappy little booklet, and what collector wants to read a crappy little booklet? Personally, I'd choose an action figure stand instead of a pack-in. (I live in the UK and action figure stands are had as hell to get at a decent price).

------------------
"If Villie ever get mixed up with fish faces again, Villie kill himself"

Log
01-07-2001, 07:50 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the Force Files are ALOT better than CommTech. I like reading the FF's and I'm sure some kids use the info in them, particularly the "Adventures" part to create adventures and scenarios for their figures to go through.

I think Force Files are the best pack-in next to the Freeze Frame Action Slides. The Freeze Frames were the best pack-in because they captured an image from one of the (at the time) three movies. Force Files are second best because you get information on a character plus you might possibly learn something you never knew before(example: I never knew Dagobah Vader was a Dark Spirit but thanks to his FF, I know now) and like I said above, they give you play scenarios.

I'm all for the Force Files but I know some people like CommTech and that's fine.

------------------
"Dang kids, get off my lawn!"

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 01-07-2001).]

GrahamILTC
01-07-2001, 09:09 AM
I may have been too harsh on the Force Files, they're fine, it's just I think we're better off without the pack-in. The original POTF 2 wave survived without any pack-ins.

Boba_Binks
01-07-2001, 10:12 AM
I agree with Darth_Graham. No more packins.
Just give us the figure with an accessory and drop the price back down to $4.99.

------------------

Log
01-07-2001, 11:31 AM
Gotta agree with ya Binks. I suppose Hasbro does pack-ins to make the figures stand out on the pegs but Graham is right too. Everything from 1995-January 98 looked great without a pack-in.

If Hasbro HAS to do pack-ins then they should make em cool at least, like the Force Files.

------------------
"Dang kids, get off my lawn!"

01-07-2001, 08:30 PM
I loved me some commtech chips. I just didn't like the way they were packed. When you buy them, the bag is full of air and hardly any commtech chips. Now they don't even make them anymore. They used to say,"Eat all you want.We'll make more." Those liars.

------------------
Bar-bar-a, where's my hot
Choc-o-late?

JediTricks
01-08-2001, 06:50 AM
Hee hee, that's a great sig line!

I like the commchips, I liked the nifty design of transferring info to the readers. I don't even consider JFFs to be a true pack-in anymore, just an extension of the file cards.

------------------
Mark Hamill's initial reaction to reading the Star Wars script (http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/lukeguy.htm)

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

PodRacer_X
01-08-2001, 08:10 AM
I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. Chips, flashback photos, slides and force files do nothing for me, personally. The best pack-ins are accessories. Give me more weapons, small droids, chairs, chess boards, and props!

01-23-2001, 12:54 AM
IMO the Force Files are the best pack-in for one and only one reason. price. if you think back to when the POTF2 and EP1 figures first came out, they were $7-$8 or more, everywhere. but with the POTJ figs Wal-Mart and Target have them for $6.74, only TRU and KB have them for $8(cause they suck on new stuff). With the Force Files, Hasbro only has to make TWO cards! Notice there is nothing printed on any of the POTJ cards to differentiate one from another, with the exception of the collection number...1 or 2. The numbering (except for the first wave or two) are all .0100, and the Jedi Points are all stickers. if you look at, for example Han Bespin Capture, the printed card number is .0100, but the Jedi Master Points number is .0000! The assortment number isn't even the same, on the sticker it is 84564, but printed on the front its 84445. All Hasbro needs to print now are some easily changed stickers and the Force Files, and every once in a while a new figures list on the back. With the original POTF2 cards (which are my favorite anyway, i liked having a picture) a new card had to be printed for EVERY figure! That and the CommTech Chips(cool idea, not done very well) had to be included in the final price. So whether you like the Force Files or not, Hasbro is doing EXACTLY what we wanted...trying to keep the price down.

Matt_Fury
02-06-2001, 08:31 PM
I was never really anti-CommTech...I thought they sounded crappy...but at least you got a "free" figure stand! I figure with what I pay for figures and figure stands....I'm probably about the same.....maybe a little cheaper...not quite sure.

------------------
"The avalanche has already started....it's too late for the pebbles to vote"

06-02-2001, 11:53 AM
I collected a few french speaking & spanish speaking Commtech chips and was wondering if anyone else did? Did they make a german speaking version, italian speaking version, etc.?

06-02-2001, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I've got some French Canadian speaking ones. One Spanish and I know they make German. Just haven't been able to panout a trade for one. Which reminds me, I should see about that.

------------------
Duct tape is like the Force there's a light and a dark side, and it still holds the universe together.

For New Englanders: New England Star Wars Group (http://pub48.ezboard.com/bnewenglandstarwarsgroup)

Log
06-02-2001, 02:57 PM
A friend of mine is on the lookout for a Spanish JD Maul. How's he sound in Espanol?

------------------
"Now make like my pants and split."-Comic Book Guy

06-02-2001, 03:09 PM
I never found any Spanish Chips here in Mexico, maybe because I live in the border and we get everything from the US, I believe they were easier to find down south...

------------------
"Crazy. Toys in the atic, I am Crazy."

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

06-02-2001, 04:39 PM
I actually have a loose Darth Sidious, and it sound cool en espanol.

------------------
Duct tape is like the Force there's a light and a dark side, and it still holds the universe together.

For New Englanders: New England Star Wars Group (http://pub48.ezboard.com/bnewenglandstarwarsgroup)

06-02-2001, 08:32 PM
PC, it sounds pretty cool! To hear "at last we will have revenge" in spanish is pretty neat. I would love to have a german version.

musasa
06-02-2001, 11:28 PM
I have the Jedi Duel Maul in every variation made. Here are the chip variations released:

English
Italian
German
Spanish
French

Of course, the French and Spanish chips were released on two different cards: those sold in Canada and Latin America, and those sold in Europe. (In Europe, Maul is known as 'Dark Maul.') But the chips on these card variants are identical.

The English chip was released on three different cards: The US card, Canadian/Latin American, and European.

I had a blast putting this set together. I went on-line and contacted folks around the world. The Italian chip was the toughest to find.

I agree these chips sound very funky with Maul speaking Italian, French, etc. Good fun! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
musasa@collectstarwars.com
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

Boba_Binks
06-03-2001, 12:25 AM
The only thing that I have that speaks in a foreign language is my Darth Maul palm talker. He speaks japanese.
Having a foreign commchip would be kind of cool!

------------------

06-09-2001, 01:04 PM
I have the Tri logo Sio Bibble although it says everything in English.

06-09-2001, 02:03 PM
I bought two European CommTalk carded figures: Jar Jar Binks - Naboo Swamp and Yoda (w/chair and missing the English Episode 1). Both of these figures have chips that talk in four languages, which ones I'm not certain, as I'm not a linguist. I got 'em just to have a couple of different ones.

musasa
06-09-2001, 09:30 PM
None of the chips speak in four languages. They all have one language each.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC
At night, when the urge is strongest and the thought of fresh brains is upon me, I transform into... Ewok Zombie!

06-10-2001, 07:02 AM
Ah, yes, I stand corrected. Looked at them again (haven't for awhile) they have four languages printed on the cardback, but the chip is one language. My bad.

07-06-2001, 05:51 AM
I have all but three of the chips and I have them all hanging on the chain that came with the reader. There has to be a better way to diplay them. Any suggestions?

rmschneider104
07-06-2001, 07:07 AM
I haven't found a cool way to display them. Most of mine are on the chain, too. The duplicates I have are just in a plastic E1 cup.

I'm sure there will be someone that can give a more creative response than mine.

indigovic
07-06-2001, 10:28 AM
I'll go with the obvious answer... as stands, underneath my action figures!

-Vic.

07-06-2001, 01:48 PM
In case you didn't know, they double as figure stands. At least that is what I'm using most of mine for. The rest are stored in a shoebox.

07-06-2001, 02:09 PM
I know they can be stands, but I don't use them for that because I have Ultramas and Realstands etc. I'm just collecting them because I think it would be cool to have a loose set and was wondering if there were any way anybody had theirs together other than on the chain....

Log
07-06-2001, 02:12 PM
I use them for stands.

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 07-06-2001).]

musasa
07-06-2001, 04:57 PM
I've devised a pretty good way. I put each chip in an individual plastic bag (made originally for telephone cards - the bags have a sticker you can peel off to seal them). Then I put the chips/bags in plastic sheets (also originally designed for telephone or business cards). 8-10 chips fit on one sheet, depending on the sheet size. Without the mini bags, the chips fall out of the sheets too easily.

I don't know if these supplies are widely available in America, but if you can find them, it's a great way to keep the figs from getting scratched up.

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC

Toy karma's gonna getcha...

[This message has been edited by musasa (edited 07-06-2001).]

07-06-2001, 06:17 PM
I was thinking of something like that, but I couldn't figure out how to make them stay in there. Will the sheets hold force files too?

Jimp
07-06-2001, 06:25 PM
I just throw all pack-ins into a shoe box. Sometimes I'll take the commtechs out and run them over the reader, but other than that I have no need for them.

Matt_Fury
07-06-2001, 07:28 PM
I also use them for figure stands. I think I was the only person to be disappointed by the loss of the Comm Tech chip....I had to go out and start buying figure stands again! http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

07-07-2001, 05:50 AM
Hey Musasa, do you live someplace that you need phone cards to use a pay phone. It's live that in parts of Europe too.

------------------
Duct tape is like the Force. There's a light and a dark side, and it still holds the universe together.

GNT
07-07-2001, 05:50 AM
Under my loose figures,duh!

GNTô http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/on.gif

Jawatrooper
07-07-2001, 07:58 AM
Save yourself some cash and put your figures on em

07-07-2001, 08:31 AM
I think Musasa was the only one who knew what I was talking about! Let me rephrase this, What other ways BESIDES stands have people come up with to display/store their chips?

Boba_Binks
07-07-2001, 11:27 AM
I have my commchips in a little 2"X3" zip-lock bag with the accessory / weapoons the figure comes with just to keep them organized(larger bags for larger accessories). For the ones that have no accessories I hang them on the little chain the reader came with.

------------------

Thermal
07-07-2001, 09:53 PM
I store 'em in the trash..........Nah, just kiddin'. I throw them into a cup that sits on my desk with all my other trinkets.

That is all

------------------
"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold"

musasa
07-08-2001, 05:28 AM
DT - Yeah, we use phone cards in Taiwan. Well, we used to I suppose until everyone and their grandmother (and grandfather and uncle Bob....) got a cell phone. Public phones (coin and card) may soon go the way of the pager here.

redleader79- I suppose they'd hold force files, but I don't have any handy to try out. One thing, I find the side fitting pockets work much better than the top fitting ones, since the little baggies with chips inside can fall out the top fitters (though not too often).

I reckon baseball card sheets would work, too, since those are easy to find in the States. Individual bags for each card are also easy to find. They'll help keep the chips snug so they don't fall out of the holders.

Oh, also, the CTC reader still works with the chips stored this way. http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC

Inigo_Montoya
08-05-2001, 04:52 PM
Stands for POTJ IG-88, POTF2 Leia, Dengar,
Garindan, Final Duel Luke and a few others.

musasa
08-05-2001, 07:40 PM
Here are some pics of my recently completed set-up.

http://www.musasa.homestead.com/files/Dsc01892.jpg

http://www.musasa.homestead.com/files/Dsc01895.jpg

http://www.musasa.homestead.com/files/Dsc01900.jpg

------------------
Forum Moderator, BHC

bobafett14
08-06-2001, 05:25 PM
Don't open, Keep em in the figure cases they came in.

bobafett14
08-06-2001, 07:16 PM
oh, and the binder looks great! I love seeing different ways people store/display the stuff.

Qui_Tom_Jinn
08-06-2001, 08:16 PM
Got all of mine on a chain sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

------------------
I love it when a plan comes together.

GNT
08-07-2001, 12:32 AM
Cool folder thing Musasa, I say throw them out http://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

masteryoda7
08-07-2001, 08:15 AM
In a shoebox.

stathis
08-02-2002, 09:11 PM
While cleaning my SW room, I came across the 3 ziplocs that hold my complete Commtech chip collection. IMO, it's a crappy way to store/display them. I'd like to hear some suggestions so I can deal with them better

Thanks,
Nick

r2dee2
08-02-2002, 10:20 PM
There are probably better suggestions out there, but I have mine strung on the chain that comes with the CommTech Reader and then placed in a clear plastic container. I have a few of those wide-mouthed plastic containers to hold things like the Movie shots, the SW passes and the Tri-Con 3D motion pics and such.

08-02-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by stathis:
While cleaning my SW room, I came across the 3 ziplocs that hold my complete Commtech chip collection. IMO, it's a crappy way to store/display them. I'd like to hear some suggestions so I can deal with them better

Thanks,
Nick<font size="2" face="arial">I would just throw the whole pile up in the air & yell....

*******!!!

08-03-2002, 12:55 AM
I bet some tubberware would work.

Real_Scooby
08-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Since I dont display them with the figures, I just took a little strip ob doublesided adhesive tape and stuck them in numerical order to a picture frame of the right size.

I have choosen the tape cause it would be easi removeable when I decide to change the display.

I just took one chip I have double ( Battle Droid because of the paint variation ) and used it to diplay the Senate Cam Droid that comes with Palpatine. The Cams pole fits exact into the hole.

darthwalls
08-03-2002, 10:09 AM
I keep mine in those plastic boxes you find in the fishing section at Wal-Mart. They are made by Plano and have different sizes and colors. They also have tabs inside so you can make the length of the tray bigger or smaller. They work really well!!

J3_M8
08-03-2002, 08:34 PM
I keep mine in a lunchpail.

08-04-2002, 02:11 AM
I keep mine right under the figures, I noticed one day that there is a short little post on them and that the figures have holes on the bottom of their feet. I went a little crazy and decided to see if the post would fit in the whole, to my surprise it is a pretty good fit. Anyone else notice this. I was shocked to say the least. I have pictures to prove it too, honest to goodness pictures, I swear mister.

rebeltrader
08-04-2002, 09:58 AM
In a stationary section, you can find clear pages similar to Baseball Card pages. The pockets are a little smaller and are used for business cards. I put them and Force files inside. I also have coin holder pages which hold FF's rather nicely.

stathis
08-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jon Peck:
I would just throw the whole pile up in the air & yell....

*******!!!<font size="2" face="arial">I'm definitely going for this option!!!

Nick

Boba_Binks
08-08-2002, 05:17 PM
I store them the way they were intended, as figure stands. I have all my figures on their chip. The rest are on the little clear circle stands. All my figs are in one big display cabinet all lined up in order as they were pretty much released / when I got them.

08-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Part of my collection is centered on just packins so I looked for a good way to display them too. I have used the busniess card pages for Force files, CTCs and Saga inserts. They work good!

08-20-2002, 12:57 AM
I keep mine stuck to the bottom of my figures. thats what they are meant for.

images/icons/smile.gif

GNT
08-20-2002, 04:25 AM
Put them in a metal tin...called the bin images/icons/smile.gif

naboo_pilot
09-11-2002, 10:47 PM
I made a display case for mine that has a little bay for each chip in sequential order it looks pretty neat and i like the look of the chips

JoshEEE
09-12-2002, 01:31 AM
I never bought a comtech reader, and so mine are basically being used as figure stands. I never really enjoyed these things.....but for some reason I never wanted to throw them away. That's just sick I think.

JediRiff
09-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Omg, Jon.... Um, have fun!

Anyways, I also just put mine on the chain that came with the comtech reader. /shrug

Darth_Mahler
09-12-2002, 03:19 PM
When the figures are being displayed, they are used as stands.

When they are in storage, they are on the chain that came with the reader.

stathis
09-12-2002, 09:30 PM
I appreciate people pointing out that they're meant to be stands. However, I already knew that. images/icons/rolleyes.gif I mean, that's pretty obvious.

I like hearing the other suggestions. They're good food for thought.

Nick

Real_Scooby
09-12-2002, 11:30 PM
Here is what I did with īem as described above.

http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v5/5/84/76/46458476JMLfou_ph.jpg

[ 09-12-2002, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Real Scooby ]

DARTH_TRADER
09-13-2002, 01:06 AM
f

Neo_242
09-13-2002, 02:02 PM
I keep mine in a shoe-box ... on the CommTech chain! images/icons/grin.gif

watto911
10-03-2002, 03:37 AM
i keep mine in the r2-d2 carrying case that came out with the episode 1 stuff. there's lots of little square compartments, makes a mess if you open any other way than flat on the floor though.

tauntaunweequay
10-03-2002, 06:42 AM
I keep mine to the left of the figure bubble right under the EPISODE I text on the card.......Yeah ,Yeah,I KNOW, I'm a wise a@@ images/icons/wink.gif

Scott_Matthews
02-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi all. Does anyone know if any of the chips "spoke" German? I have a couple French and Spanish examples, and I would love to pick up a Darth Maul with a German CommTech if they exist...

Thanks,

Scott

Per_Lindstr_m
02-11-2003, 02:37 AM
I know Iīve seen a few of them, and if you want I can probably get you one - not sure if I can find Maul though...

Scott_Matthews
02-11-2003, 07:08 AM
Hi Per LindstrŲm. Please do let me know if you ever come across a nice German Darth Maul...That's the only CommTech figure I'm trying to hunt down at the moment.

Thanks!

Scott

TEAMRICO
02-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Hello, while I was stationed in Germany(Shortly) after the release of EP1 I was able to purchase some Euro EP1 figures w/ the CTC. They did speak German! If I recall they were terrible!
I do have both carded versions of the Maul(FJD & Tatooine) and a Yoda in German but not the reader. Im sure if I look hard eneough this weekend I might be able to locate a loose chip.
I have the carded versions in my closet.
No promises because all my early stuff is in a storage unit images/icons/frown.gif , not enough room to display all my stuff.

02-14-2003, 08:49 PM
yeah oddly enough i have a german speaking maul from episode 1, so they do exisist.

02-14-2003, 08:51 PM
now this peaks my curiousity, did they make any that spoke asian langauges, or did those all just get the bonus battleg droid? what about russian? I am only aware of english, spanish, french, german, and there was one other in europe right? argh....

Dain_Bramage
02-14-2003, 11:28 PM
I used to have a German "commtalk" Darth Maul as well but I traded it away.

As for the asian ones, there was none that spoke either Japanese, Korean or Mandarin. The ones they received in Asia were English speaking commtechs, and the ones with the Battle Droid pack in's didn't have commtech chips if I remember correctly.

02-15-2003, 05:41 PM
well, my stance on that is this, that sucks, i was getting delliousions of hunting down multilingaul mauls and yodas and such images/icons/smile.gif

Scott_Matthews
02-18-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm rather positive that Asian CommTech chips were not released. Hasbro opted for the Asian exclusive two-packs instead. Those would have been neat though!

If anyone has a German Maul available...please email me.

Thanks!

Scott

(scottdmatthews@excite.com)

03-01-2003, 10:14 AM
What do you guys think the best sounding commtech chip was? IMO, Captain Tarpals was dead on. Adi Gallia's sucked, though. It sounded like she had just learned English!!!

Obi_Robz
03-01-2003, 06:23 PM
I agree, Tarpals was spot on. Iíve just tried the whole set and I was really surprised to find that both Jar-Jars were pretty accurate (i.e. captured his annoying voice pretty well). I also thought Watto was very good. IMHO, the best by far were the astromechs (R2 & R2-B1) and the Pit Droids. All the rest were frankly quite shockingly bad. Adi Gallia had more lines one her chip than she did in the film. images/icons/grin.gif

images/icons/smile.gif

Billy_Ray
03-01-2003, 06:36 PM
I really thought Greedo's was pretty good. I think that would be my favorite.

naboo_pilot
03-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Watto's was decent enough. Greedo's was very good also but in my opinion Captain Tarpals was the best. The destroyer droid had some cool sounds.
The rest were horrible but I loved the feature anyway.

Clown_Full_of_Hate_TM
03-05-2003, 10:50 AM
I remember liking yodas commtech. I think maybe it was because of the lingo.Tarpals was good. I also liked the feature even though most sounded bad. Maybe somewhere down the road they will show up even better.

dustrho
03-05-2003, 12:45 PM
I never bought a CommTech reader, so I wouldn't know.

images/icons/tongue.gif

Dunedain
03-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Hmm, why didn't Lucas just get the actual people to do the voices specifically for the commtech figures?
Or take it directly from the movie?

03-05-2003, 05:14 PM
jawa and gonk

gonk gonk

JoshEEE
03-05-2003, 09:03 PM
I have never listened to any of my comtech chips, but I just bought a reader here on the classifieds for 2 bucks, so now I can.

Ray_N_Quiet_Rob
03-05-2003, 09:43 PM
I never listened to them either...but is that actually a statement? BEST Commtech?

GNT
03-06-2003, 03:20 AM
I liked Gasganos but a few OT ones sounded good images/icons/smile.gif

Loopy_Leia
03-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by super trouz:
jawa and gonk

gonk gonk <font size="2" face="arial">I like that one the best too. I don't have that chip but my boyfriend does. I like Captain Tarpals as well.

SITHLORDTOYS_aka_Albert
03-07-2003, 08:32 PM
I would say Yoda and Darth Sidious heres a better question though what lines would you have rather them put on a commtech other than the ones they did

Marra_Fett
03-07-2003, 10:02 PM
The Best sounding ones were the blaster sounds and lightsaber effect sounds! images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/cool.gif

aznbala503
03-08-2003, 03:01 PM
I wish they would have used the actual voices. It woulda sounded better. I like the Jawa and Gonk one.

Depmode
03-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by obi_robz:
I agree, Tarpals was spot on. Iíve just tried the whole set and I was really surprised to find that both Jar-Jars were pretty accurate (i.e. captured his annoying voice pretty well). I also thought Watto was very good. IMHO, the best by far were the astromechs (R2 & R2-B1) and the Pit Droids. All the rest were frankly quite shockingly bad. Adi Gallia had more lines one her chip than she did in the film. images/icons/grin.gif

images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="arial">adi gallia didn't even have lines in the movie?!

GNT
03-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Some jedi got some lines cut in the film. Although most of the chip voices is just a Hasbro employee doing a weird voice have the time images/icons/tongue.gif

coybrafett
03-19-2003, 12:51 AM
I like the stormtrooper and darth vader chips due to the fact that their voices are filtered through a mask... Not Episode 1, but still commtech.

Kris
03-19-2003, 05:31 AM
I am recharging my batteries, then I'll check the best comtechchip I own images/icons/wink.gif

Obi_Robz
03-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Depmode:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by obi_robz:
Adi Gallia had more lines one her chip than she did in the film. images/icons/grin.gif

images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="arial">adi gallia didn't even have lines in the movie?! </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Thatís true actually images/icons/smile.gif . I never did pay enough attention to the prequels images/icons/wink.gif .

And I didnít take on board that we could choose POTF CommTech chips, so Iíll add the Stormtrooper and Jawa+Gonk Droid to my list of favorites.

images/icons/smile.gif

Johnboy_Walton
03-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Nice question Lord Mence... I would hafta say jawas, greedo, and perhaps the funniest is darth maul (jedi duel?) Anyways, the last one, w/ the cloth skirt thing. He has the most nasal voice "It's the Jedi!" images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/tongue.gif

Insane_Wok
03-19-2003, 08:34 AM
I personally thought they all were crap.

03-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Checking again, I found that the first Sidious's was totally awful(I know I sound like NiubNiub, but he does sound like Stephen Hawking) but the second (holo) was great. I wish they carried on with the chips and introduced those new bluish ones instead of the uber crap force files!

NiubNiub
03-21-2003, 11:21 AM
I think the BEST was Darth Maul - LOL
just kidding, he was awfull.

Seemed that the higher pitch voices were more accurate because of the sample rates.

All the Low range voices were pathetic.

My Fave was Jawa - Greedo - Tarpals and R2

if you never listened to them or don't have a reader you can still hear them...

http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/characs/characs.html/e1_menu.asp

click on a figures name and ALL their samples in the character reviews have been recorded in MP3.

03-21-2003, 11:36 AM
COOL, I never could find many OT figures with chips. These were actually not bad - except maybe Wuher. Love the site, NiubNiub!

Kris
03-21-2003, 05:28 PM
soon, I'l have more images/icons/smile.gif

Saboth
03-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Tarpals was best...Maul's whine the worst!

Master_M_M
09-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I have about 56 chips including sw trilogy chips.
I was wondering if the following chips are released.

Mace white chip-I heard this when is was first came out.Is it real?

Sebulba white chip(Mos Espa Encounter)-Not sure if it was released.

Graxol Kelvyyn(Watto's Box)-Not sure this also.

PS:This is not inlcuding any prototypes chips.

Obi_Robz
09-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Both my Sebulba and my GK (Watto's Box) have white chips.

Don_Henderson
09-22-2003, 12:03 AM
I have all 61 production chips loose but I have not bothered with the background variations.

I have been having more fun going after the unproduced oval chips instead!

For a complete checklist with variations indicated try this link:

Toy Force Commtech CHip Checklist (http://r2toyforce.net//commtechchip.htm)

Master_M_M
09-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the link,Sebulba images/icons/smile.gif

Mobile_Artillery
12-11-2003, 08:02 PM
I'm currently keeping mine in a tackle box with all my spare accessories and I want to get them out on display with the rest of my collection. Does anybody display them or just throw them out of their way?

Yak
12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
I keep my figures pegged on them. I store my figures in cardboard trays (so they're all easy to get to) but they tend to fall over a lot and ultimately come off the commtek chips. Eventually everything gets mixed up :-( so not the ideal solution. But I do prefer keeping the chip with the figure... makes it easy to find a particular chip plus the figure only seems 'complete' to me with his chip images/icons/smile.gif

dustrho
12-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I have whatever ones that are loose thrown into a ziploc bag.

Durge
12-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Bags

Chris_M
12-12-2003, 08:34 AM
The few loose chips I've got are thrown into a tackle box with my extra figures for trading.

naboo_pilot
12-13-2003, 09:19 PM
I use mine as action figure stands. I still like to use the comm tech reader too!

..."Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."

-Linus

Don_Henderson
12-15-2003, 10:37 AM
A friend and I had thought long and hard about making a wall display for the chips. We thought it would be cool if someone had come up with some kind of plastic tray display were you could pop your chips into it and display the complete collection. It would also give you access to all of them for playback.

If anyone has any unique display methods, please post pictures.

My are stored on metal strand in their correct order but I do not have them out for display.

Boba_Fitt
12-15-2003, 11:21 AM
200 or so in a box until I find a use for 'em

rmschneider104
12-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Just sitting there in a box.

Yak
12-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Steamin' Bowl of Toast Soup:
200 or so in a box until I find a use for 'em <font size="2" face="arial">
Originally posted by rmschneider104:
Just sitting there in a box. <font size="2" face="arial">Guys, get those chips, the Reader - and "party like its 1999" images/icons/smile.gif

Boba_Fitt
12-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Yak:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Steamin' Bowl of Toast Soup:
200 or so in a box until I find a use for 'em <font size="2" face="arial">
Originally posted by rmschneider104:
Just sitting there in a box. <font size="2" face="arial">Guys, get those chips, the Reader - and "party like its 1999" images/icons/smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Well I would if it wasn't for the horrid digitalized voices... images/icons/smile.gif
I know there was the holo chips and the white chips, but how many in total were there? (not counting different language chips - I could care less about Ric Olie babbling on in French!) images/icons/grin.gif

Don_Henderson
12-15-2003, 02:58 PM
how many in total were there? (not counting different language chips - I could care less about Ric Olie babbling on in French!) images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">There were 61 chips in total that were released with carded figures. That includes the chip that came with the reader and does not include any of the second generation unproduced oval blue chips.

Yak
12-15-2003, 03:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Yak:
Guys, get those chips, the Reader - and "party like its 1999" images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="arial">Well I would if it wasn't for the horrid digitalized voices... images/icons/smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">lol Oh man, my personal favourite, Mace Windu's "I......... do not believe...". That "I" wobbles so much its just so funny. Still, I get kinda sentimental about the Commtech chips. They were a great effort to make figures talk, sadly it just didn't quite work out.

I know there was the holo chips and the white chips, but how many in total were there? (not counting different language chips - I could care less about Ric Olie babbling on in French!) images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">I'm not sure about which figures came with 'holo' and 'white' chips? Did some figures come with either?
Exactly how many chips were released, well I'm not entirely sure about that either.
So lets see, there were the one's with the 49(?) basic figures, plus the 3 that came with the cinema scenes. I'd also include the UK Promo chip (it is in English after all images/icons/wink.gif and still available for only £4 here (http://www.thetoyshop.com/product/category.asp?method=move&start=40)). So 53?
I'd love to know what promotion that UK one was supposed to be part of?! images/icons/confused.gif

Back in '99 there was a list floating around the web showing which characters where going to be released with each chip. It filled all the gaps that are left with the released chips/figures - and there are a lot of gaps! I'd love to find that list again. Maybe GNT knows?

Yak
12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Sebulba:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">how many in total were there? (not counting different language chips - I could care less about Ric Olie babbling on in French!) images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">There were 61 chips in total that were released with carded figures. That includes the chip that came with the reader and does not include any of the second generation unproduced oval blue chips. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Doesn't that include the Classic Commtech chips tho?

Don_Henderson
12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Doesn't that include the Classic Commtech chips tho? <font size="2" face="arial">Yes it does include the Classic Line along with Watto's box, Mos Espa Encounter and Tatooine Showdown.

Here is a link to a checklist from ToyForce:
ToyForce Commtech Checklist (http://r2toyforce.net/commtechchip.htm)

Yak
12-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sebulba:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Yak:
Doesn't that include the Classic Commtech chips tho? <font size="2" face="arial">Yes it does include the Classic Line along with Watto's box, Mos Espa Encounter and Tatooine Showdown.

ToyForce Commtech Checklist (http://r2toyforce.net/commtechchip.htm) </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Great article, thanks for pointing that out. images/icons/wink.gif
I'm still searching for the list that names all or most of the missing gaps.

Gaps such as...

Destroyer Droid 46
Sio Bibble with Blaster Pistol 50

..and an even more dramatic gap..

TC-14 Protocol Droid with Serving Tray 74
CS Tatooine Showdown 113

..I guess those gaps are where much of what became the POTJ line was supposed to fit.

[ 12-15-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Yak ]

Sems_Fir
12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
I've co written an article on the unproduced COMMtech chips which you can read by hitting this link: http://collectibles.echostation.com/prototypes/Reference%20Material/CTC2/Chipguide.htm

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N.

Don_Henderson
12-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Sems Fir:
I've co written an article on the unproduced COMMtech chips which you can read by hitting this link: http://collectibles.echostation.com/prototypes/Reference%20Material/CTC2/Chipguide.htm

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N. <font size="2" face="arial">Robert,

Thanks for the link to your awesome sight! It fills in most of the gaps with what should have been released and gives great insight as to what was intended.

Don

Boba_Fitt
12-16-2003, 12:55 PM
All those POTJ figs on EP1 cards are so cool looking... Better than the green cards IMHO. Must be some nice to have!

Obi_Robz
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
When I collected loose I used them for standing their figures on.

I quite liked the idea, but some of the "voices" were VERY funny images/icons/rolleyes.gif

12-16-2003, 03:57 PM
I used to keep them all on a chain, but after my figs up on display a few years ago, I used them as stands. That's where they are now. I haven't touched my reader in a long time.

JediKnight87
12-16-2003, 06:47 PM
There on that chain somewhere in my room...

RogueWompRat
12-16-2003, 07:30 PM
In a box. I never really liked Commtech chips, the voices were terrible, they drove up the price of the fig, and the reader was like 20 bucks when it was released. I only recently picked one up for a few buck.

D_Miles23
12-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Truth be told... I lost all of them... I never cared for em and didn't plan on buying the reader so I tossed them into some crappy box. The other day I found a reader at a garage sale for a buck fifty. Having never actually listened to the chips I picked it up and went home to find my chips only to discover that my box was loooooooooong gone to the ages... waste of $1.50... coulda bought 3 tropical fantasies with that money

Stormtripper
12-17-2003, 01:28 AM
I have several dog tag ball chains full of them, I finally got myself a couple readers at a garage sale this summer for .10 each. images/icons/cool.gif

Jediknight760071
12-25-2003, 02:31 PM
I keep mine on that chain they gave you...handy little thing, fits em all.

12-26-2003, 01:12 AM
stands

IndianaVader
12-26-2003, 01:28 AM
I keep all my chips in the same place... on their cards. images/icons/grin.gif

Tyranusspotting
12-26-2003, 07:24 AM
I used to have all my figures in zip bags and their commtech chips all on the little chain or whatever to call it that came with the Commtech Reader.
Worked out pretty well until I redecided to display my figures. Now they stand on their Commtech Chips again.

One thing aside, my first two figures were Obi Wan and Darth Maul, which were only availible at local Comic shops in May (movie did start until August here) so they had cost 32 bucks each. Anyway, I kept these two in their zip baggies with a date written on them saying May 1999.
I got four Mauls in total (two more carded, one more loose) but I only had one Obi Wan which I never really dared to play with I guess since it was my only, maybe? Anyway, I got another one which looks quite good in terms of likeness-
since the first one always been said not to look like Ewan. This one however bares a good resemblence.
Now with this one Iīm playing alright! Did I say playing? images/icons/grin.gif

01-17-2004, 04:09 PM
I use to use them as stands now theyre in abox in my closet somewhere.

DDR4ever2003
01-20-2004, 11:26 AM
leave them on the card casue i like them displayed on my walls...they still read through the cards too which is sweet ! images/icons/smile.gif

Clown_Full_of_Hate_TM
01-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Use them as figure stands and sometimes listen to the cheezy phrases.

GNT
01-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I haven't listened to them in like 3 or so years, maybe a trip down memory lane might help.

RediNight
01-24-2004, 01:31 AM
I took out them durn curds and says myself how wild! Then puts em on thet metal bead cord an theyis still on there some where in my collection room.

Spideymike
01-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I use them as stands for my EP1 figures.

jedilukes
01-24-2004, 10:22 PM
I listen to those fake voices of my favorite characters, of course.

Jediknight760071
01-26-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by jerry ford jr:
I use to use them as stands now theyre in abox in my closet somewhere. <font size="2" face="arial">*Shiver

01-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Dip them in (crunch) salsa!

GNT
01-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Some of the chips sounded really bad. Thats what you get for hiring a person off the street to do most of the chips images/icons/wink.gif

IndianaVader
01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Who did voice them? They sound terrible (except Anakin's because it was his real voice (little sell-out images/icons/smile.gif )).

Don_Henderson
01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by IndianaVader:
Who did voice them? <font size="2" face="arial">I believe they are for the most part recorded lines from the movie. It was just the technology that made them sound funky. The generation II chips were actually getting better and included more speach lines. Too bad they got canceled.... images/icons/frown.gif

You can read more about the generation II chips here:

The Second Generation COMMTECH Chip (http://collectibles.echostation.com/prototypes/Reference%20Material/CTC2/Chipguide.htm)

Sems_Fir
01-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Many of the chips actually have voice actors and not the original actors voices on them. This can be heard on both the first generation COMMtech chips as well as the unproduced second generation oval style chips. Either way, at least for me this particular pack in idea wasn't developed to its full potential. Ah, the power of the dollar. 8&gt;)

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N.

JediKnight87
01-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Cost too much $$ to have Hasbro pay the actors to talk on the chips. Mine are still on the chain that came with the reader laying somewhere in my room. Oh well.

blaster_E11
02-01-2004, 12:20 PM
i use my chips as action figure stands. I dont really use the comm tech reader
u should hear the french versions of the voice samples (even worst than the english ones) images/icons/mad.gif

Jedimon2001
02-13-2004, 10:06 PM
I use them as stands, plus I used one of those chains that they use for dogtags and put all the comtech chips on that.

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
02-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I use them as stands for any figures that won't stand up.

Lord_Bobster
02-17-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm taking all of mine and forging a Master Commtch chip!

ONE COMMTECH CHIP TO VOICE THEM ALL!!!!

grandpa_yoda
02-17-2004, 09:06 PM
i use my chips with onion dip they are very
tasty

FOXPROWL
02-21-2004, 01:03 AM
I use them as stands-there's nothing worse than having the "Domino-effect" happen to hundreds of loose figures on display!

Dr_Zoltar
02-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Does anyone have any info on the promo commtech chip that was released in the UK? I found one for around $8 US and want to know if it's worth picking up.

Lord_Bobster
02-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Is the promo chip the master chip...?

THE MASTER CHIP TO RULE THEM ALL????
images/icons/grin.gif

ARC_Trooper_Cpt
02-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Lord Bobster:
Is the promo chip the master chip...?

THE MASTER CHIP TO RULE THEM ALL????
images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="arial">One chip to rule them all
one chip to find them
one chip to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them
in the land of Lord Bobster
where the nexus lie

images/icons/wink.gif

[ 02-29-2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Old Ben Kenobi ]

r2dee2
03-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zoltar:
Does anyone have any info on the promo commtech chip that was released in the UK? I found one for around $8 US and want to know if it's worth picking up. <font size="2" face="arial">If you like complete collections then I'd say this is rather a neat one to add.

http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/commtechchipcompareUK_6.jpg

UK PROMOTIONAL There is also a UK Promotional Commtalk Chip, which has 3 character lines all on one chip. This Commtalk chip offer was in a flyer inside the Episode I: The Phantom Menace VHS movie release. It stated that if you bought a Commtalk Reader and sent in a receipt with your name and address, you'd receive this exclusive chip for free. This chip is unnumbered with the SW "burst" logo on both sides of the chip. The lines are:

"Greed can be a powerful ally"

"Your destiny now lies with me"

"You will be a Jedi, I promise"

More Commtech chip info (http://r2toyforce.net/commtechchip.htm)

Master_M_M
03-11-2004, 01:43 AM
They all go to the box images/icons/grin.gif

kidhuman
03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
They are attatched to the cards still.

Dr_Zoltar
03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks R2Dee2! That's some great info. Would you happen to know if the lines on the UK Commchip are taken from the ones included with the action figures, or are these 3 new lines?

I just picked up a prototype Chewbacca Commchip the other week and am very pleased with it. I didn't realise there were so many unreleased chips in circulation.

r2dee2
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zoltar:
Thanks R2Dee2! That's some great info. Would you happen to know if the lines on the UK Commchip are taken from the ones included with the action figures, or are these 3 new lines?

I just picked up a prototype Chewbacca Commchip the other week and am very pleased with it. I didn't realise there were so many unreleased chips in circulation. <font size="2" face="arial">VERY kind of you to say Dr. Zoltar images/icons/grin.gif !

I cannot check my UK chip right now, but I'm pretty sure the phrases said by Maul, Qui Gon and Obi-Wan are not new, just consolidated onto one chip.

I don't have any of the unproduced chips myself but I think those are a REALLY neat thing to have, if you want a complete collection.

Glad to hear your Chewie one is all you hoped for images/icons/cool.gif

r2dee2
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Sebulba:

ToyForce Commtech Checklist (http://r2toyforce.net/commtechchip.htm) </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Great article, thanks for pointing that out. images/icons/wink.gif
I'm still searching for the list that names all or most of the missing gaps.

Gaps such as...

Destroyer Droid 46
Sio Bibble with Blaster Pistol 50

..and an even more dramatic gap..

TC-14 Protocol Droid with Serving Tray 74
CS Tatooine Showdown 113

..I guess those gaps are where much of what became the POTJ line was supposed to fit. </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Within my ToyForce list I do have a link to a list that includes the unproduced chips. It's at an old part of SSG (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=21062&domain=sirstevesguide.com&dom=ss&domain_id=5)

Cernunos
03-18-2004, 03:51 PM
All of my loose CommTech chips and reader were sold on eBay last year. Made a small profit considering I only paid $3 for my reader.

My train of thought was: I'm not using this stuff, if it doesn't sell I can always toss it into the trash.

Mike
03-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by r2dee2:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Dr. Zoltar:
Does anyone have any info on the promo commtech chip that was released in the UK? I found one for around $8 US and want to know if it's worth picking up. <font size="2" face="arial">If you like complete collections then I'd say this is rather a neat one to add.

http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/commtechchipcompareUK_6.jpg

UK PROMOTIONAL There is also a UK Promotional Commtalk Chip, which has 3 character lines all on one chip. This Commtalk chip offer was in a flyer inside the Episode I: The Phantom Menace VHS movie release. It stated that if you bought a Commtalk Reader and sent in a receipt with your name and address, you'd receive this exclusive chip for free. This chip is unnumbered with the SW "burst" logo on both sides of the chip. The lines are:

"Greed can be a powerful ally"

"Your destiny now lies with me"

"You will be a Jedi, I promise"

More Commtech chip info (http://r2toyforce.net/commtechchip.htm) </font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">I have that one, it came with my reader.

All mine sit in the box. No use for them.

r2dee2
03-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Lenny, may I please ask if the chip from your UK CommTalk reader is numbered and has the starburst design on both sides? THANKS:)

Mike
03-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by r2dee2:
Lenny, may I please ask if the chip from your UK CommTalk reader is numbered and has the starburst design on both sides? THANKS:) <font size="2" face="arial">Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner.

Mine has the Starburst on the front, but on the back it has a small picture of the actual Commtalk reader. The background behind this is shiny and has the number 9 in the to-right hand corner. Just like the one pictured.

Is it of any significance?

r2dee2
03-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Lenny, thanks so much for the clarification. The regular US commtech reader chip is like yours, with the starburst on one side and with the number 9 and reader pic on the reverse side, as shown in the lower picture. However, the special mail away UK chip is unnumbered and the starburt is on BOTH sides.

[ 03-20-2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: r2dee2 ]

Mike
03-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Cool, thnx for info. What purpose does the 9 have? And do you know what offer the UK chip could be got through the mail from?

r2dee2
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Lenny, almost all of the chips were just assigned a number, the Commtech/Talk Reader seemed to be assigned 9. The UK mail away didn't have one and there may very likely be others from non US markets that also are without a number. No big deal, just for the variation completists:)

The chip was offered in a flyer inside the Episode I: The Phantom Menace VHS movie release in the UK. It stated that if you bought a Commtalk Reader and sent in a receipt with your name and address, age and toy store you bought it from, you'd receive this exclusive chip for free.
http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/ukcommtalkchip.jpg

Mike
03-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Great, thnx for all the info.

r2dee2
03-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Lenny:
Great, thnx for all the info. <font size="2" face="arial">You are very welcome Lenny images/icons/smile.gif

Sith_Lord_Chaos
04-09-2004, 02:02 AM
I just use mine as figure stands, or I also have some in my box that has all my various accesories.

dsl89
04-10-2004, 11:59 AM
The only use I have for them are stands. When I'm bored, I use them to annoy my sister. Thet is soooo much fun. R2's chip really annoys her more than any of the others! images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif images/icons/smile.gif

codemaker
04-13-2004, 01:09 PM
I use mine to stand up my figures.

camboy45
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm just wondering why they didn't continue this feature into the rest of the prequels. I kinda liked them despite their poor sound quality because it showed that a lot of the characters in Episode I could have had a lot more dialog that should have been in the movie, most notably with Darth Maul and pretty much all the Pod racers and Jedi Council members. Plus they made for some nifty little bases for the figures which sometimes could not stand by themselves anyway.

Dr_Zoltar
09-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I liked them too. I was able to pick up a prototype Chewbacca one that was slated for wave 2. It was much improved over the first version of it. But Hasbro decided to drop yet another of their good ideas.

Obi_Robz
09-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Was the prototype chip fully functional - did it have some of chewie's "lines" from the film?

I found them to be great looking figure stands but was always a bit disappointed by the (un)likenesses of the voices.

Yak
09-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Yea sound quality wasn't great (tho it did get better on later chips - even before the unproduced 2nd type) and a lot of the dialog was taken from the script reading sessions so differs a lot from the movie. I loved them but a lot of people were complaining. But the main reason they got cancelled was costs. Hasbro marketing knew we wanted cheaper figures and the commtek chips were costing them lot.
Its a shame, if they had of stuck with it I think it really would be popular today.

Yea I'm pretty sure the prototype chip (at least with the one's that actualy contain a chip) do work with the original CommTek reader. But apparently they would have sounded even better with the new reader that looked pretty cool.

mrmforceX
09-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I REALLY miss the chips. I think it was a COOL idea and the stands were great!

I would love to see them brought back.

Commtech_Guide
09-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows who owns this sample prototype CommTech chip:
http://members.cox.net/gcimages2/chip.gif

Please email me with any information on this at: galaxycollectibles@cox.net

Victor_Von_Doom
09-17-2005, 07:37 PM
I've never seen that one before, but my guess is that it would be a pre-EP1 chip, rather than a post EP1 chip.

Commtech_Guide
09-17-2005, 08:58 PM
The new 2nd generation oval CommTech chips DO work with both the old reader & new reader.

TIJUANAJEDI
09-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Anybody have a pictures of these?

I would love to see how the new reader & wave 2 looked.

Commtech_Guide
09-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Here is a good link to photos:
Behind the Toys Website (http://www.behindthetoys.com/features/chipguide.asp)

Dr_Zoltar
09-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Was the prototype chip fully functional - did it have some of chewie's "lines" from the film?

I found them to be great looking figure stands but was always a bit disappointed by the (un)likenesses of the voices.

Yep, it works. Various growls from Chewie. And I think some noises from the holo chess table. It's packed away at the moment so I can't remember exactly what was on it. But I love it as a piece and would have bought the whole set had Hasbro made them.

GNT
09-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Neat idea that just went wrong http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif What bugs me is the gap between commtech chip numbers http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Spice_Kicker
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM

While the gimmick worked for E1, it did force them to raise the price on the figures. I'd personally rather have $5 figures with a couple of accessories than $7 figures with one gun.

darth_yaddle
09-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Well maybe hasbro could make something cooler and still keep the 5 dollaer price tag like a mail away for a free action figure with pop.

Commtech_Guide
09-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Here is another resource:
www.commtechguide.com (http://www.commtechguide.com)

_Darth_Maul_
09-23-2005, 02:24 PM
there okay but they just raise the price of the figure

rotj2000
09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
haven't seen this before

Don_Henderson
09-27-2005, 12:41 PM
there okay but they just raise the price of the figure

Funny that the price never dropped when they stopped the commtech chips. Maybe force files were expense to create too? http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Skyhoucker
09-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, I thought the CommTech chips were crap. They didn't even sound like their character... it was a joke... Anyone can make a monotone voice to stand for any character!

TIJUANAJEDI
10-02-2005, 01:04 PM
wow, looks like they wanted to head in a really cool direction, too bad its Hasbro.

DeathSquadron
11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
This is really too bad, the chips were awesome as display bases even without the reader.

Appo24
12-16-2005, 05:11 PM
They should continue them in the saga collection.

r2_jenn2
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM

i definitely agree. I would like to see them back. I think it would be better instead of those holograph miniís that are with the new line. Just my two cents.
http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Zombie_F_Body
12-17-2005, 06:42 AM
I think Hasbro just likes to throw in misc. things that are very cheap to produce to make the high prices of the figures seem like a bargain. I bet the chips weren't as cheap as they'd like to produce so they were dropped. I'm sure a lot of kids and non-collectors will be doing a lot of "ahhing and ohhing" over the Saga collection holograms that probably cost Hasbro pennies to produce. Out of all the gimmicky crap that Hasbro has thrown at us, I believe these chips were the best.

gorkoracing
12-17-2005, 10:28 AM
i liked the freeze frames more but the chips are a close second. they'd be first if they had actually came out with the commtech v.2 stuff. i've got a chewy chip and another that should be arriving today.

razberryjones
12-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I agree.. the stupid stands they have now are garbage, especially the ROTS stands. The chips are great.

Zombie_F_Body
12-17-2005, 02:34 PM
You know bases with voice chips and buttons that activate the phrase, bypassing the need for a reader, would be cool, too. Back in the early 90s GI Joe had figures that came with backpacks that had like 4 or so buttons and each one activated a battle sound. Costly, cool and likely to never happen.

kiadiwhoi
12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
I really liked the commtech chips and they are really nostalgic for us who were just kids when TPM came out but the prices were really expensive since the chips were not cheap to make. All in all I like what Saga 2006 is doing but I personally thnk it would be cool to have the characters head or something on the stand like this (http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_120705b.htm).

Dr_Zoltar
12-19-2005, 09:36 AM
i liked the freeze frames more but the chips are a close second. they'd be first if they had actually came out with the commtech v.2 stuff. i've got a chewy chip and another that should be arriving today.

What's the second chip you're getting? The Chewie one seems to be the easiest to get.

gorkoracing
12-21-2005, 07:36 PM

What's the second chip you're getting? The Chewie one seems to be the easiest to get.

Another chewie chip (got it for a great price). I got it for trade bait for a different one in the future. If anyone knows anyone with some extras for sale or trade lemme know.
Here's some pics:
These 2nd generation ones have `a hole in the bottom that would have allowed you to stack them like this
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/Gorkoracing/dc515ca3.jpg
heres the front and back of them if anyone has never seen one
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/Gorkoracing/cdec9909.jpg

truth1
12-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Those 2nd version ones are pretty neat looking. I never did end up getting one of the readers. My buddy has one of the store displays that you just run the carded figure over, and it says the chip phrases.

sambuca
12-28-2005, 05:26 PM
IMHO, I am glad they eliminated these. The cost that these take up could be far better spent on accessories and articulation, as well as new head sculpts and such.

A decent idea, but most of the voices sounded more like my Grandma than the actual characters.

Westar_Slinger
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Recently while cleaning my 4 year old daughters room, I came across my old commtech reader. I turned it on and stated playing with it again! I got an urge to find all my old chips and had a fun afternoon with my daughter listening to them and playing star wars. Just thought I'd share.

GNT
01-04-2006, 01:14 AM
It's good to hear that you got some use out of them, most people just tossed them etc. I haven't played one in years!

Neal
01-04-2006, 06:54 AM
I never picked up the Commtech reader ... even when stores were basically trying to give them away. I did, however, keep the Commtech chips. I use them as stands (when the need arises).

CaptainAlex
01-04-2006, 07:44 AM
I have a Commetch Reader display from the stores I aquired a few years ago. I spent an afteroon, bored to tears, playing the chips. A good idea the execution wasn't quite there. Nor was the quality. If you read about the Generation 2 chips that were to be released with PotJ it indicates the chips were of a better sound quality.

Wagaboodles
01-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I would have liked to see these continue and evolve. I think they could have gotten them to be really good with some work and fine tuning.

Neal
01-04-2006, 01:40 PM
If you read about the Generation 2 chips that were to be released with PotJ it indicates the chips were of a better sound quality.

I would hope so. They couldn't have gotten a whole lot worse.

New_Bornalex
01-10-2006, 02:34 AM
What I thought was interesting about the CommTech sound quality was, when Rosie O'Donnell had Liam Neeson on her talk show during Phantom Menace's hype-filled press junkets, she had all the toys out, and mentioned the fact that his action figure could talk, and he VERY firmly insisted that was NOT his voice.

I never did understand why he was so vehement about it.

Alex

Dooku1
01-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I kinda miss them.

They were a hell of a lot better than the force file slips of paper.

Shame they didn't make them for Ep3 because the technology is there to make them sound better now and there are so many classic lines in that movie.

Kozy
01-16-2006, 03:53 PM
i always thought it would be cool to just integrate the chips into the figures themselves and skip the stands all together - then you could just hold the comtech next to the fig and let it do it's thing.