PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jumbo Kenner Patrol Dewback - going forward 2018.

Palitoy_DS_1971
10-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Just to let you know that I am fully committed to making this jumbo creature over next year. If there is any interest from others on here then I will make a mold too, to allow for duplicates.
If not, then I will make myself a hard copy version without spending (and wasting) tonnes of cash on silicone.

Of course once it's finished I will post pictures.

Let me know if anybody here would be on board for a 3 foot long lizard with a trap door in his back!

I can't wait for GGLTD any longer - I'll be 50 in a few years and might have lost my enthusiasm for these jumbos if I don't act now.

Thanks, David.

Sebkenobi
10-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Just to let you know that I am fully committed to making this jumbo creature over next year. If there is any interest from others on here then I will make a mold too, to allow for duplicates.
If not, then I will make myself a hard copy version without spending (and wasting) tonnes of cash on silicone.

Of course once it's finished I will post pictures.

Let me know if anybody here would be on board for a 3 foot long lizard with a trap door in his back!

I can't wait for GGLTD any longer - I'll be 50 in a few years and might have lost my enthusiasm for these jumbos if I don't act now.

Thanks, David.

I might be up for one, just want to see how it looks first! Keep us posted!

Palitoy_DS_1971
10-23-2017, 06:45 AM
I might be up for one, just want to see how it looks first! Keep us posted!
Thanks for letting me know - I'm not here trying to drum up pre-orders, but to gauge interest first.

It's nice you might be interested.
I'll go ahead with it and if I decide to mold it, will stick it on ebay.
Or if I make a single hard copy will keep it for myself.

There's alot of suspicion and trust issues on these kind of sites over the talent of a fellow forum member, it's understandable given that we are all virtual strangers.
I would never attempt anything like this if I were an amateur sculptor/ maker with no formal training.
It would be too difficult to achieve a good result otherwise.

To go from "might" to "likely" - would it help you to know that in 2015 I was asked to supply Rogue One with a pair of 1:1 Royal Guard helmets? It was Neil Ellis, "The Force Awakens" concept model maker who approached me for help, I still have his private email address.

xphillips
10-23-2017, 07:16 AM
What is a ballpark cost? I'm excited to see pictures. I would love to jump in and say I'm interested.

Palitoy_DS_1971
10-23-2017, 07:33 AM
In the sculpting stage I cannot give you a final costing.
It shouldn't be more than the $400 Wampa, given that this is 3 feet long and a years worth of work, but it won't have a box with graphics at all.

I'm based in the UK, so you have to factor in a 3 feet long box - with the cost of International tracked + insured shipping on top.
It's too early to talk money, but I'm not going to price anybody out of getting one, if at all possible.
I'll try to keep it reasonable.

Right now, I'm simply looking to see the level of interest in this jumbo creature.
Thanks for replying.

Sebkenobi
10-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Thanks for letting me know - I'm not here trying to drum up pre-orders, but to gauge interest first.

It's nice you might be interested.
I'll go ahead with it and if I decide to mold it, will stick it on ebay.
Or if I make a single hard copy will keep it for myself.

There's alot of suspicion and trust issues on these kind of sites over the talent of a fellow forum member, it's understandable given that we are all virtual strangers.
I would never attempt anything like this if I were an amateur sculptor/ maker with no formal training.
It would be too difficult to achieve a good result otherwise.

To go from "might" to "likely" - would it help you to know that in 2015 I was asked to supply Rogue One with a pair of 1:1 Royal Guard helmets? It was Neil Ellis, "The Force Awakens" concept model maker who approached me for help, I still have his private email address.

Well count me out then. I didn't realize the cost of such a thing... I wasn't able to shell out the $400 for the Wampa. And this being a custom project, I completely understand it should be much more than that, with molding, size, paint, shipping and everything... And I also wonder WHERE I could display such a piece! I'm sure it will look great, I have no doubt in your abilities. Myself being a graphic designer, I can see professional talent being put to such a use, expanding the hobby. Hey, I did custom jumbo cards, maybe we could arrange something and I could design you a box for it!

Palitoy_DS_1971
10-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Judging by the lack of responses, I really think I should keep this as a private project for myself.
Without any larger interest, molding this in silicone will be prohibitively expensive and not worth it.

People in general are so used to mass-produced prices, that hand-made bespoke items simply cannot compete with low-cost pricing.

OK I've got my answer regarding the Jumbo Dewback idea.
Thanks to those of you who showed interest and made comments. Much appreciated.

I'll keep the larger, more ambitious projects private - although I do think I'd like to tackle some of the jumbo figures that GGLTD has passed over from ESB and ROTJ on a very limited-run basis.

Sebkenobi
10-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Judging by the lack of responses, I really think I should keep this as a private project for myself.
Without any larger interest, molding this in silicone will be prohibitively expensive and not worth it.

People in general are so used to mass-produced prices, that hand-made bespoke items simply cannot compete with low-cost pricing.

OK I've got my answer regarding the Jumbo Dewback idea.
Thanks to those of you who showed interest and made comments. Much appreciated.

I'll keep the larger, more ambitious projects private - although I do think I'd like to tackle some of the jumbo figures that GGLTD has passed over from ESB and ROTJ on a very limited-run basis.

Now THAT caught my attention... Custom FIGURES would be more affordable (and easier to display) and very much desired! I really was hoping for the Bespin Guard, Hoth Rebel Soldier and Skiff Lando... If you can make customs of some of these and keep them at a reasonable price (say under $200 each?) I would be an instant buyer. I could make you custom cards!

But post pictures of your Dewback when it's done please... I wanna be impressed!