PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jumbo Kenner Patrol Dewback - what are the chances GGLTD will make one?

Palitoy_DS_1971
09-26-2017, 05:57 PM
After 7 years of SW jumbo's - I have lived in hope that GGLTD would offer us some SW creatures, in addition to TESB's WAMPA.

However - it's become increasingly clear that items above a certain size are likely never to get produced.

Just wanted a broader set of opinions from fellow scummers as I am sculpting my own jumbo Kenner style Dewback (it's OK, I can see eyes rolling everywhere... I did 3D Design at Uni.).
What are the chances of a GGLTD Jumbo Dewback? I would happily stop mine, if I knew GGLTD were in the process of making one officially.

A Patrol Dewback and a Land Speeder would have been great.

Are the days of expecting anything new over?
Jumbo announcements seem to have trickled to a halt finally, but I may be wrong.

Sebkenobi
09-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Don't stop! I'm curious to see pictures! Chances GG makes this one are inexistent... I would have loved a jumbo Tauntaun!

They tease Jabba a few years back and were working hard to have it affordable to collectors, but since we never got any news, and I think the project's been cancelled. They stalled Star Wars Jumbos to make room for their G.I. Joe and Super Powers Jumbos, but I think they got burned... G.I. Joe got cancelled after 3 figures, and I didn't follow how well the Super Powers line went. But since then, we only got Jedi Luke and the exclusive Carbonite Han who took forever, and they seem to focus on repacks now (2 exclusive Farmboy Lukes, POTF Greedo, Early bird Kit...). I was holding up making a custom Hoth Rebel Commander using the Hoth Rebel Soldier, but I think the chance they finish the line is pretty slim now. Unless they continue releasing 1 or 2 per year as exclusives for the next... 20 years or so.

Palitoy_DS_1971
09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your comments and advice!
The Patrol Dewback was always my favourite SW accessory creature.
I bought a vintage damaged Dewback and dismantled it to see the inner workings... is that reverse engineering?
I sliced through the sonic weld seam along the body and took a peek at the swivel mechanism and that pesky torsion spring on the hatch hinge.

I also liked the Tauntaun - so I may well move onto making one afterwards and get a loose Hoth Luke to sit inside.
It's surprised me that nobody with a 3D printer hasn't already scanned and made parts of these for the jumbo collecting community.

Aside from the Dewback and maybe the Tauntaun, I've no interest in a jumbo Jabba - I will leave that to GGLTD when they get their act together.
If I bought a Jabba in 12" it'd be from Hot Toys.

My work is strictly old school hand/eye coordination. I've made the Dewback head template by measuring and scaling up 320%.

I've been making full size ERG helmets for troopers over the last 6 years and have had enough of armour to last a lifetime.
Really looking forward to making some Kenner jumbo extras...something that actually interests me alot more.

PS I'm the slowest sculptor and maker in the universe, so don't expect any updates anytime soon - but I will keep you posted once I'm ready.

Palitoy_DS_1971
09-28-2017, 01:02 PM
I was holding up making a custom Hoth Rebel Commander using the Hoth Rebel Soldier, but I think the chance they finish the line is pretty slim now. Unless they continue releasing 1 or 2 per year as exclusives for the next... 20 years or so.

That's the figure with the all cream suit and beard, right?
I think that was the figure I used with the Tauntaun as Hoth Luke was one of the last ESB Hoth figures to get released - in 1982 I think.
That would be a nice project to do if it's a favourite of yours.

Sebkenobi
09-28-2017, 03:00 PM
That's the figure with the all cream suit and beard, right?
I think that was the figure I used with the Tauntaun as Hoth Luke was one of the last ESB Hoth figures to get released - in 1982 I think.
That would be a nice project to do if it's a favourite of yours.

Yeah that's the one, I love all the figures with mustaches! So early 80s! I always felt he looked cool with that scarf floating down... My other most wanted are the Bespin guard and Skiff Lando... I bet you know why!

Since he seems to be using parts of the Hoth Rebel Soldier, I always thought he'd be a simple figure to make for GG, ala C-3PO/Death Star Droid who shared some parts. Too bad they never got to him... I might do it myself, simple repaint, add a mustache and plastic scarf and, voilą!

wgenich
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
The topic of Jabba came up in a Facebook group for Jumbos I am in, and this was stated by Daniel Pickett, whose profile states that he works at Gentle Giant.

"We did a prototype of a Jumbo Jabba that we brought to SDCC 2 or 3 years ago. We are still working on trying to get better pricing on him to make him."

BithBandLeader
10-11-2017, 04:44 PM
The topic of Jabba came up in a Facebook group for Jumbos I am in, and this was stated by Daniel Pickett, whose profile states that he works at Gentle Giant.

"We did a prototype of a Jumbo Jabba that we brought to SDCC 2 or 3 years ago. We are still working on trying to get better pricing on him to make him."

It's true. I do.

DP

DarthRavenger
10-12-2017, 12:15 AM
It's true. I do.

DP

Nice. Would love to see one made.