PDA

View Full Version : Tusken Raider

GNT
02-19-2017, 02:18 AM
Hasbro have announced that we'll be seeing the Tusken Raider figure back in the Walmart Black Series line.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/600/tusken9.jpg

Anyone going to purchase it?

Daigo_Bah
02-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Damn, I have 4 of them, and don't need more, but I loved the water-treatment-ready cloth they used; it really made a screen-accurate look. I'd go for more if they upsized the head a bit, and gave more prominence to the metal face tubes.

Darth_Brett
02-19-2017, 12:25 PM
And gave them ball-hinged joints and wrists. And yes the head was always undersized. I always wanted to get that comic pack figure that was a Tusken Raider disguise just for that reason.

The '06 figure still holds up and is a decent figure. But it would be great if Hasbro had just tweaked a couple of things.

Masterfett
02-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Yeah, the figure as it stands is very passable. If he'd have gotten a minor update, which would have only been elbows. A new head perhaps, or slightly different rags would have been neat too. I'd have bought a couple.
I'm not saying the figure is horrible, but it's ten years old!
If this is their mentality, why not just release POTJ figures in the 5POA line instead of making all new ones? :hmm:

ImperialBucket
02-19-2017, 03:27 PM
I will buy a few if I manage to locate them.

Jabbapalacespy
02-19-2017, 04:39 PM
I will get a few too. I know it's an old figure but it looks okay and I need some for customizing purposes as well.

Darth_Brett
02-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Did anyone ever try customizing this figure with the A'Sharad Hett figure's mask? I think I may try upgrading my Tuskens using that head and updating the arms to ball-hinged joints.

legolarry
02-19-2017, 11:18 PM
It is pathetic that they are still going to use this inferior mold from 2006. We should have gotten a new sculpt of this figure by now.

DarkManX
02-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Don't have any so yeah I'm getting some of them.

Trooper31
02-20-2017, 04:28 AM
I still like this figure, although bj elbows would be nice. Sadly, I don't see Hasbro making any changes to this figure at all.

BoomTrooper
02-20-2017, 08:58 AM
I could use a few more of these to be able to clear out the last of the POTF2 figs I have. I think I only have one of VOTC ones

Lord_Hurin
02-20-2017, 09:17 AM
I need at least one since I don't have any Tusken Raiders at all right now. Might get a couple more if I like it and I can find them. Not like there will be much else for me at retail.

Obi_Wan_Kaboozie
02-20-2017, 02:13 PM
I held out on this one through two or three releases, feeling sure that they'd update him with ball-jointed elbows at some point. Looks unlikely now. Guess I'll bite.

GNT
02-20-2017, 04:42 PM
I have about 4 Tusken Raiders already so this one is a pass for me but it's nice to keep this one in circulation.

Trooper31
02-21-2017, 09:59 AM
I have about 4 Tusken Raiders already so this one is a pass for me but it's nice to keep this one in circulation.

Agreed, with circulation being the key word. I think he last came out 5 years ago, so repacking him now is a good idea.

Oddball_Fett
02-21-2017, 10:18 AM
I'd agree if they'd fixed the elbows. I can't stand swivel elbows. Only reason this figure gets away with it is because they're covered up.

Lord_Hurin
02-22-2017, 06:56 AM
I'd agree if they'd fixed the elbows. I can't stand swivel elbows. Only reason this figure gets away with it is because they're covered up.

For me, swivel elbows succeed or fail on how sharp the angle is. I recently picked up the Saga AT-AT Driver with the swivel elbows and they don't bother me in the slightest.

ThallJoben
02-22-2017, 09:30 PM
To me, this new Tusken Raider figure honestly doesn't look that great. I'm not a big fan of "cloth goods" on these figures, and to me the robes look cheap.

That being said, this is a prototype so I may change my mind when/if I see it carded & in stores.

Rogue1969
02-22-2017, 11:44 PM
A worthless repack.

Darth_Brett
02-23-2017, 01:54 AM
The soft goods on this figure are actually really good. Even more so if you do the water and diluted hairspray or starch trick.

Idpullthecurtain
02-23-2017, 02:37 AM
The soft goods on this figure are actually really good. Even more so if you do the water and diluted hairspray or starch trick.
agreed, once you flatten it down with water it's great. I haven't tried hairspray though.

Masterfett
02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Isn't it kind of hilarious that you now need a Salon inside your Hobby room where you have to fix every figure!?
When did we go from a simple "Collector" room to display everything, to needing Wood/metal shop, Salon, print shop etc. all in the name of Action figures! :grin:

Rezikai
02-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Isn't it kind of hilarious that you now need a Salon inside your Hobby room where you have to fix every figure!?
When did we go from a simple "Collector" room to display everything, to needing Wood/metal shop, Salon, print shop etc. all in the name of Action figures! :grin:

Roughly the time of the POTF2 playsets... b/c well.... ya know. diomaker4lyfe! :D

lordtyrannus
02-23-2017, 03:51 PM
To me, this new Tusken Raider figure honestly doesn't look that great. I'm not a big fan of "cloth goods" on these figures, and to me the robes look cheap.

That being said, this is a prototype so I may change my mind when/if I see it carded & in stores.

This is not a new Tusken Raider. It is a repack of a figure released first in 2006 and about a dozen times since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Brett
02-23-2017, 04:20 PM

The fun of being a SW Hasbro collector. LOL I actually get enjoyment from tinkering and fine-tuning figures. But it is pretty comical the lengths that we go to in order to "fix" these blasted things.

Masterfett
02-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Not so much of a complaint as a funny realization. We thought we weird looks for just buying Action figures. Could you imagine the looks if we were caught primping them too?

But yeah, it does seem to make the hobby more fun.

Trooper31
02-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Roughly the time of the POTF2 playsets... b/c well.... ya know. diomaker4lyfe! :D

^^Like a lot^^

The figure is still a nice one. The elbows are a bit annyoing, but overall the figure is still well-made and a lot better than the other Tuskens out there.

Ashy_Larry
02-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Not so much of a complaint as a funny realization. We thought we weird looks for just buying Action figures. Could you imagine the looks if we were caught primping them too?

But yeah, it does seem to make the hobby more fun.

I'd been dating my would be wife for about 8 months, we were living together. She walked in on me painting/sculpting a crotch for a custom figure. (Ace and Gary from the ambiguously gay duo cartoon) The crotch on the figure is ridiculously large, so i was adding clay and working it in, she walked in and paused for a long while, just dumbfounded. She had no idea people did this type of thing. Cut to 20 years later, a house full of toys. She should've ran while she had the chance.

Trooper31
02-24-2017, 02:21 PM
I'd been dating my would be wife for about 8 months, we were living together. She walked in on me painting/sculpting a crotch for a custom figure. (Ace and Gary from the ambiguously gay duo cartoon) The crotch on the figure is ridiculously large, so i was adding clay and working it in, she walked in and paused for a long while, just dumbfounded. She had no idea people did this type of thing. Cut to 20 years later, a house full of toys. She should've ran while she had the chance.

^^Like a lot too^^

Jaeger45
02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
^^I identify with this^^

Chewbacca
03-04-2017, 02:49 AM
Yeah, the figure as it stands is very passable. If he'd have gotten a minor update, which would have only been elbows. A new head perhaps, or slightly different rags would have been neat too. I'd have bought a couple.
I'm not saying the figure is horrible, but it's ten years old!
If this is their mentality, why not just release POTJ figures in the 5POA line instead of making all new ones? :hmm:
Wait, is this still the swivel elbow? Come on, Hasbro.

Trooper31
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Yes, is a straight repack.

DarkArtist
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
it's a pass for me.

Lord_Hurin
03-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Wait, is this still the swivel elbow? Come on, Hasbro.

The swivel elbows will do. I'll be picking a few up if I find them. Do we have anything better coming to retail? Exactly.

Julythrunov
03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
And Hasbro knows this. Why put any effort into improving the figure if people will buy it anyway, especially if they're buying it out of desperation since there isn't "anything better coming to retail"

Lord_Hurin
03-09-2017, 02:12 PM
And it's not even at retail either. Is there a better Tusken Raider out there in this scale? It's sad but true. I often see the VOTC figures carded for $25+ Canadian, so for $15 or so I'll pick it up. The character itself is iconic enough to me that I want it, and I can always customize it to look different if they upgrade the sculpt with ball-jointed elbows later on.

In a similar boat are some of the Prequel Jedi like Ki-Adi Mundi and Saesee Tiin. The RotS sculpts are great, but have swivel elbows. Those guys are even less likely to get a remake given Disney's semming aversion to anything PT related, so I make due. Again, certainly fine figures but they do fall short of a perfect grade.

Trooper31
03-10-2017, 06:31 AM
At this point, I don't think Hasbro will ever make a new Tusken Raider unless they show up in a new film, but even then, they'd probably just use this one.

It's funny, Hasbri made all new molds of the jedi starfighters for the smaller version a few years back and said it was actually cheaper to do that than to do reuse the older version, yet when it comes to a figure like this that is so close to being "perfect" they'd rather just keep repacking this one, then adding new elbows or making a completely new figure. Yeah, I know jedi starfighters and tuskens are apples and orangce, but I'm trying to look at it from a different point of view.

Masterfett
03-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Well in theory these repacks are what cost out the wave, and made it possible to save money so that they could bring us new figures. And I can live with it to a certain degree, if it meant getting new figures. But, this isn't 2007 anymore! We seem to be only getting 4 new figures per year mixed with 10 repacks. That is a sad state of affairs!

Where the heck is Yak Face already!?

They seem to unable to mange it properly. For a line that no longer has all the other media to pull from, as EU and PT has been banned. They only need to worry about a very few set of characters, and they can't even keep up with that.

Espi1001
03-10-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm almost sure that more obscured characters would not see release in this line, not in the near future at least. so probably safe to say that the YakFace figure will not be made, even if at one point was rumored or shown on a TF or Comic-Con. the line still exist due to repacks and main characters from the new movies (some not all, at least the most recognized and vital from the new movies). so pretty safe to say that most background characters in this line will be re-packs from existing lines (yes, I know, not every body is happy), but since majority of collectors already have that background character already sold previously, it will get to peg warm on the stores (Walmart), but to be honest I keep asking myself, "what could be a good action figure to re-pack?" and the answer its crazy, since majority of collectors have a different opinion on the matter. some preferred army builders (Empire troopers) other cantina aliens, Jabbas palace aliens, Empire characters, TFA characters and background characters, R1 main and background characters, etc... to be honest the answer its more complicated than that, for one I preferred the main characters and as seconds some Empire and First order characters, and then background aliens in the movies. and I believed for Hasbro it's getting complicated, since they never seems to cater to the collectors (on the collectors perspective). look at the new wave of BS (Ponda, Tusken Raider, Sand trooper and Proto Fett) great choices and very good action figures, but for the most part the ppl wanting Tusken Raider never got it the first time (a very small amout of collectors since it was sold in 2006) and its been repack multiple times, still a great figure, and have plenty of articulation, however you will always find some one complaining about the elbows. Ponda according to collectors was very hard to find (I found it at Walmart on the TVC days), very good choice but how many collectors really need him, or how well will sell? Proto Fett, great choice since I never got one on TVC days, but collectors are complaining about the issue that it was an exclusive and now will stop been an exclusive, but the way I see it, it was never realesed at a mass retailer before, so it should sell well, but how many will collectors would get of the toys? one maybe 2, Sand trooper , great choice, I will get a few, regardless of its a repack or not, looks good, and its excellent, ppl complaining about his dirty, his clean, wrong helmet. so I'm still asking myself what its a good repack, since verybody seems to think different. what will sell good for Hasbro to continue the line before canceling.

Coreworld
03-12-2017, 10:56 AM
I think he still stacks up pretty well...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_034117.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_034117.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_034310.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_034310.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_03428.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_03428.JPG)

The ball jointed elbows would be a nice plus, but he can get a good amount of poses.

EmperorPalpitate
03-13-2017, 01:25 AM
I would have gladly picked up this figure, even with swivel elbows, if they had at least given us a new head sculpt. The original one is too small and too squat. Looks like a shrunken raisin. So yeah, will be passing on this one.

Idpullthecurtain
03-13-2017, 03:07 AM
as it goes I reckon this is the best choice of this wave. It's not perfect, but it's a great figure. Anyone who missed out will get a chance for one of the really great figures. I know a new version would be better, but it is what it is.

Trooper31
03-13-2017, 06:19 AM
I think he still stacks up pretty well...

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_034117.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_034117.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_034310.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_034310.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_03428.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_03428.JPG)

The ball jointed elbows would be a nice plus, but he can get a good amount of poses.

Nice pics. I think at this point, unless a new film shows the Tuskens, this is going to be the best we're going to get.

Masterfett
03-13-2017, 09:19 PM
I find that doubtful. If TFA showed us anything, is that the old familiar Aliens are a thing of the past. Mostly..

Trooper31
03-14-2017, 07:50 AM
I don't mind new aliens, but too many of the aliens in TFA looked to Star Treky to me. They could have at least thrown in an Aqualish, a Rodian, and an Ithorian in the ranks of the Resistance.

Idpullthecurtain
03-15-2017, 01:34 PM
I don't mind new aliens, but too many of the aliens in TFA looked to Star Treky to me. They could have at least thrown in an Aqualish, a Rodian, and an Ithorian in the ranks of the Resistance.

agreed I found it very weird there were no OT aliens around. That is one thing that the PT got right, there was a great mix of new aliens, but also tons of OT aliens.

DarkManX
03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
agreed I found it very weird there were no OT aliens around. That is one thing that the PT got right, there was a great mix of new aliens, but also tons of OT aliens.

true but that lead to the old aliens being in a majority of the movies, clone wars,and rebels. They're played out in a way so I'm up for new alien designs. They won't all be winners (rathars) but it's good to get some fresh looks in the galaxy.

R1G4R3PO
03-15-2017, 06:30 PM

ummm...maybe because Jar Jar...I mean JJ, did Star Trek before Star Wars

GNT
03-15-2017, 07:11 PM

It gets really repetitive having the same alien species over and over again especially in different regions of the Galaxy. It's a big universe so new species are welcomed, it helps keep it fresh and new instead of the same old again.

Utinniii
03-15-2017, 07:33 PM
It is a tricky line. On one hand, TFA had Wookies, Sullustians, Mon Calamari, and whatever Trinto was (Stennes shifter?) but on the other, it annoyed me that TPM had Ilithids everywhere on a dessert planet.

But yeah, seeing a background Durros or Twilek would have made it better for me. I can also understand people that feel that many of the TFA races were direct rip offs of OT/PT aliens.

Masterfett
03-15-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm not saying no to new Alien designs. But to see none of the oldies that we've known for the last thirty years seems illogical. Even if the Galaxy is big, you'd run into a few here an there. But it felt like to me, unless you were Ackbar or Nien your species wasn't represented. It's not like going from Scotland to Hong Kong, where there's a prominent difference. Even if they were in a totally different sector of space, there's still the idea of the Senate and the Representatives of each Government. The change/interjection should have been gradual.

They're played out in a way so I'm up for new alien designs.
No more played out than all the Human movies with the same boring Humans every time. :grin:

Trooper31
03-16-2017, 09:50 AM
It gets really repetitive having the same alien species over and over again especially in different regions of the Galaxy. It's a big universe so new species are welcomed, it helps keep it fresh and new instead of the same old again.

True, but the humans seem to be everywhere.

Evilgenius
04-12-2017, 12:43 PM
I hate swivel joints.

If I was going to boil and pop the arms out from the shoulders, what arms would fit in their place? I need something a similar colour that also has balljointed elbows.

Anyone already done this? Would Dr Evazan or Owen Lars arms work?

Vorax
04-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Super articulated Owen Lars figures arent that cheap as far as I remember.

Maverick10126
04-19-2017, 09:11 PM
I'd look at SA Qui-Gon just from a price point.

Cramer
03-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Just nabbed a few Tuskens on walmart dot com for $4 each

sharky
04-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Just a heads up. There's a lone Tusken Raider on walmart.com for $4. Problem is I can't seem to check out with it because I get the error message that it can't be shipped or picked up from my ZIP code. Maybe there's someone out there that can actually buy it. Good luck!