PDA

View Full Version : Admiral Ackbar

GNT
08-30-2016, 05:07 PM
According to Robotkingdom.com we'll be seeing a reissue of the Vintage Line Admiral Ackbar in the exclusive Walmart line.

Any thoughts on this? Good choice to reissue?

Masterfett
08-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Another pass. Honestly Hasbro, what do you think about at night?

matto
08-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Certainly a great figure but I don't need anymore of these. Would loved to seen a TFA Ackbar.

tanksmasher
08-30-2016, 09:28 PM
If they had made some mon cal officers I'd buy a bunch but don't need anymore Ackbars.

my_kind_of_scum
08-30-2016, 10:21 PM
While Ackbar is a great figure, I just don't see it selling all that well. He pegwarmed in a lot of places in TVC days. Heck, I picked up several of him for customs on clearance of three bucks apiece at the time.

Star_Tours
08-31-2016, 01:21 AM
This and Lando will be warming be warming pegs unfortunately.

DarthBre
08-31-2016, 04:40 AM
How hard would it have been to do a straight repaint and produce a mon cali bridge officer instead? ( army builder). Its a nice figure but if the line is to struggle on through these dark times, the repacks have to be smarter. That said the erg was a step in the right direction. Hopefully if we are lucky maybe ee or tru may offer the hoth rebels or endor commandos as battle packs with a few head swaps/ alien heads as battlefront troop builders. I am sure they would sell very well. Hopefully even push for an old republic special with the old republic trooper, shae vizla and perhaps the sith trooper and nico okarr that were slated for release just before the disney take over.

bladerunner1
08-31-2016, 05:57 PM
Nah, I'd like new stuff on vintage cards please.

Goldleaderone
08-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Cool that Ackbar is being reissued, but would have made more sense if it was TFA Ackbar. I'm quite happy with TVC version.

Shadow_Imperium
08-31-2016, 07:15 PM
He can be made into a few Mon Cal officers, so I'll get a couple, regretted not doing so during his first run. Would have preferred an army builder instead. RFT, Rebel honor guard, Echo Base trooper, ect.

Darth_Brett
09-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, I think Hasbro should have re-released Ponda Baba or the Hoth Soldier instead of this one. But maybe those will come at a later time?

Idpullthecurtain
09-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Hmmm, I think Hasbro should have re-released Ponda Baba or the Hoth Soldier instead of this one. But maybe those will come at a later time?

​Bizarre choice for a re-release.

GNT
09-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Cool that Ackbar is being reissued, but would have made more sense if it was TFA Ackbar. I'm quite happy with TVC version.

Since they released a 5POA TFA version I doubt they'd be interested in doing a SA version anytime soon since he really didn't do much in TFA to need a SA version. Re-releasing the older version keeps costs down and it's a great figure to begin with.

Goldleaderone
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Since they released a 5POA TFA version I doubt they'd be interested in doing a SA version anytime soon since he really do much in TFA to need a SA version. Re-releasing the older version keeps costs down and it's a great figure to begin with.

Yeah, I hear you. I did get a kick out of the movable jaw on TFA Ackbar.

Ackbars_No1_Fan
09-02-2016, 07:01 AM
Needless to say, I think this is an excellent choice for reissue :)

DarkArtist
09-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Sometimes I don't understand Hasbro's logic in choosing the re-release figures. I mean easy sells and fan favorites would have been characters like:

Gamorrean Guard
Hoth Rebel Solider
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
DarkTrooper
Republic Commando
Old Republic Trooper

instead lets give the fans General Calrissian and Admiral Ackbar (while great figures they hardly need to be re-released)

Ashy_Larry
09-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Sometimes I don't understand Hasbro's logic in choosing the re-release figures. I mean easy sells and fan favorites would have been characters like:

Gamorrean Guard
Hoth Rebel Solider
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
DarkTrooper
Republic Commando
Old Republic Trooper

instead lets give the fans General Calrissian and Admiral Ackbar (while great figures they hardly need to be re-released)

my thoughts exactly. I don't believe they read these boards (Hasbro claims otherwise in Q&a's) so many other figures that were impossible to find. Real head scratcher. The title of these 4 wm exclusive is "Almost" they got it 50% right. They only had to do a little research to hit a home run, instead a we got a ground rule double.
But I will be picking up all 4 figures. all four are really good figures, especially Ackbar. Not a horrible wave considering how bad the first wave was.

jodo
09-02-2016, 09:30 PM
I've noticed Hasbro consistently delivers at an "almost got it right" level of almost everything they do.

DJ121
09-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Jeff and John have done NOTHING but take misstep after misstep with the brand. I'd really like to know how they got put in charge. There were so many other figures they could have done in a repack wave. A case is 12 figures, why not repack 12 different figures that got poor distribution from TVC?

Scarrviper
09-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Agreed. Ackbar is a solid figure, but those two should have been rereleased first. As others have said, a mon calamari officer would have been more welcome.

Masterfett
09-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Jeff and John have done NOTHING but take misstep after misstep with the brand. I'd really like to know how they got put in charge. There were so many other figures they could have done in a repack wave. A case is 12 figures, why not repack 12 different figures that got poor distribution from TVC?
Well, at least they go two right. The ERG and Ahsoka were very HTF. And while Ackbar seems arguable, I felt Ponda would have been a better choice. As well as a handful of others from TVC. But TBH, there are candidates from every line that could use re-circulation. And while we're speaking honestly, they could have carded BG-J38 and sold it! I know of several people that never completed this Droid, and some that did via over priced ebay.

DJ121
09-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Well, at least they go two right. The ERG and Ahsoka were very HTF. And while Ackbar seems arguable, I felt Ponda would have been a better choice. As well as a handful of others from TVC. But TBH, there are candidates from every line that could use re-circulation. And while we're speaking honestly, they could have carded BG-J38 and sold it! I know of several people that never completed this Droid, and some that did via over priced ebay.

Yes, you are right. Two of the choices should do very well. The Guard and Ahsoka were both only available in that last wave from online sellers. I would have liked to see the Echo Base trooper.

EmperorPalpitate
09-07-2016, 12:35 AM
I've already got a few VC Akcbar's, carded and loose, so I can pass on this one. Was kinda hoping they might tweak the paint apps on the eyes and shift the pupils forward a bit more, like the TFA version of Ackbar. Makes the figure appear to be looking forward instead of staring at either side of the room, heh.

mandalorehunter
09-08-2016, 08:41 PM
I am a little surprised at the decision to repack this figure. I didn't think he was hard to find and I also didn't think there was a big demand to repack him. At least there are 4 figures in this wave instead of just 3. Now I hope that we will get a wave of 4 new figures after this instead of more repacks.

Masterfett
09-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Maybe Hasbro thinks by doing this, it will allow you to make your own Mon Cal officer. Instead of them incurring the expense of a "new" figure. Plus it will appease those living under a rock, who didn't actually find him the first time.

Nicklab
09-10-2016, 04:21 PM
I think that both Hasbro and Lucas licensing are cognizant of the connecting tissue between the OT and the Sequel Trilogy. And Admiral Ackbar is part of that continuity from RETURN OF THE JEDI to THE FORCE AWAKENS.

I don't think it's really that much more complicated than that. Especially since this wave is serving as a placeholder until the first shipments of ROGUE ONE figures sell through, and we eventually get a wave of SA figures from the new film or perhaps more from TFA.

JVM
09-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Maybe Hasbro thinks by doing this, it will allow you to make your own Mon Cal officer. Instead of them incurring the expense of a "new" figure. Plus it will appease those living under a rock, who didn't actually find him the first time.
I was living under a rock -- I finally broke and bought him on eBay in December, under the assumption he'd never be back :)

I think that both Hasbro and Lucas licensing are cognizant of the connecting tissue between the OT and the Sequel Trilogy. And Admiral Ackbar is part of that continuity from RETURN OF THE JEDI to THE FORCE AWAKENS.
This was my read, too. It's the same reason for the Luke and Han reissues earlier, albeit with a less iconic character. I'm sure we'll see Nien Nunb down the line, if this line even continues. I think some kids might be more interested in Ackbar now that he's a recurring character personally.

Masterfett
09-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Nien Nunb was already released. Did you miss him too? ;)

JVM
09-14-2016, 04:58 AM
Nien Nunb was already released. Did you miss him too? ;)
Heh, the first time around, yes - but the same time I acquired Ackbar, I tracked down a good Nien Nunb. ;) The TPM wave was pretty much permanent around my area, unfortunately, until the end of the Vintage Collection entirely.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was repacked, but he could use a couple changes to boot. Him being short isn't news, but I also think the paint on the head is a little lifeless. It wouldn't be hard for Hasbro to make a good TFA version in SA, either.

Vatta
09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I didn't have any plans at all to get Ackbar as I have the first issue of this, but I was going through my figures last night and saw that Ackbar has really yellowed, not "that" bad but enough I want to replace it. I think I also need to invest in some proper storage baggies and stop using these old sandwich baggies for figures or maybe get those fancy plastic storage boxes or "figure coffins" as some people call them.

ThallJoben
09-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Yes, this AA TVC re-pack looks like a great figure. IIRC, this is a character that hasn't been made that many times in the modern line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since POTF2 began we've seen:

AA POTF2 (1997) - O.K. figure, though I didn't see this as being that much better than the '83 Vintage version.

AA TVC (2012) - great sculpt.

AA TFA (2016) - solid figure, though I was never able to find this. I still want this, despite the 5 POA.

kk1
09-29-2016, 02:26 AM
Is the paint different on this from the TVC one? Saw it today and it looked darker.

Masterfett
09-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, the paint will be different from one run to the next.

Cyko_Droid
09-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Yes, this AA TVC re-pack looks like a great figure. IIRC, this is a character that hasn't been made that many times in the modern line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since POTF2 began we've seen:

AA POTF2 (1997) - O.K. figure, though I didn't see this as being that much better than the '83 Vintage version.

AA TVC (2012) - great sculpt.

AA TFA (2016) - solid figure, though I was never able to find this. I still want this, despite the 5 POA.

I saw Ackbar this morning and just couldn't buy him. I got a Force Awakens one, and even without elbows, that hinged jaw is awesome! I don't have a lot of ROTJ Rebel staff (Madine, Mon Mothma, etc.), so I left this figure on the pegs. A good figure, but not one I can really use. As long as this wave sticks around, I see him being the biggest pegwarmer.

HothHan
09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
I saw Ackbar this morning and just couldn't buy him. I got a Force Awakens one, and even without elbows, that hinged jaw is awesome! I don't have a lot of ROTJ Rebel staff (Madine, Mon Mothma, etc.), so I left this figure on the pegs. A good figure, but not one I can really use. As long as this wave sticks around, I see him being the biggest pegwarmer.

Lando will take the title of biggest pegwarmer.

Jaeger45
09-30-2016, 03:33 PM
Lando will take the title of biggest pegwarmer.

Probably, but that being said, don't discount the value of Lando's legs for customizing. They are ball hinge, of the same sculpt as a recent Han Solo, but with the benefit of a very pale color, allowing for easy Rit Dye uptake. Definitely worth a shot with all the 5POA out there.

Speaking of Ackbar and customizing, I recently stumbled across Geral Home's thread buried in the autograph section. Mr Home was one of the Mon Cal officers in ROTJ. Worth browsing through.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1069050&

He posted this pic, among others:
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/Mobile%20Uploads/3C533FA6-23B6-4C0D-865D-E59E8E287BC9_zps5mykohax.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/jaeger451/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3C533FA6-23B6-4C0D-865D-E59E8E287BC9_zps5mykohax.jpg.html)

Rit makes a "Sandstone" Dye for synthetic fabrics (available at Hobby Lobby) that works quite well on figures. A quick boil and pop, stripping the yellow striping with Goof Off, and a very brief dip in hot dye, and you've got an easy Mon Cal Officer!

Jaeger45
09-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Ok, since my last post, I decided to make good. Total time, including boiling, popping, paint stripping, dying, reassembly, hot glue for neck post, and touch up of rank badge: 52 minutes. Only minor additional mod was the use of the head and hands from the MonCal pilot for some variety, necessitating a bit of hot glue for the neck post. Could just have easily stripped and repainted the spots.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/3FC1CB95-386D-4D4A-9F1C-0E59D9DEF007_zps0ue1pnbe.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/jaeger451/media/3FC1CB95-386D-4D4A-9F1C-0E59D9DEF007_zps0ue1pnbe.jpg.html)

With the VC Ackbar:
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/3F24EA42-B767-4CC4-B949-E69A0EF86D01_zpsbn3mrtjj.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/jaeger451/media/3F24EA42-B767-4CC4-B949-E69A0EF86D01_zpsbn3mrtjj.jpg.html)

Darth_Brett
09-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Nice!!!! That looks really good!

Cyko_Droid
09-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Outstanding work! Now I kinda wish I'd picked him up "just in case". But he'll probably be around.

Masterfett
09-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Yes, very nice!

While i never wanted Ackber to be reissued, I will have to get a couple more for Mon-Cal officers. I only got one of him the first time around.

Jaeger45
10-01-2016, 02:13 AM
Glad the idea is liked--will hopefully fill out some collections and move some potential pegwarmers. I shortened up a second officer by trimming the lower legs, supergluing the feet back on, and dremeling the lower thighs. Will be using a cast from the female Mon Cal pilot the make the shorter "diamondback" female.
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t655/jaeger451/82C6ED00-D6FA-419E-A2B3-B1E6C2398CE6_zpsp7bobokg.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/jaeger451/media/82C6ED00-D6FA-419E-A2B3-B1E6C2398CE6_zpsp7bobokg.jpg.html)

Daigo_Bah
10-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Looks fantastic! Might want to paint the belt a darker color too.

Jaeger45
10-11-2016, 03:41 AM
Looks fantastic! Might want to paint the belt a darker color too.

Thanks! Yeah, there's still some tweaking going on. This was my "speed custom". I'm adjusting some rank badges, too, and I'm up to four.

Hothrebels84
10-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Picked one up on ebay for I think 14.99 with shipping, I really like this figure, and am glad to have it, wish I could have found it in stores, but that seemed like it would never happen.

EmperorPalpitate
10-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Saw a couple Ackbars in two different WalMarts yesterday, and the paint apps on the head are definitely darker and more pronounced than the TVC version. Previous version looks better, IMO. The new paint apps for the markings on the head stand out too much now. Looks almost like a tampo as opposed to a sencil.

MyenShi
10-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Available at Walmart online as of the time of this post: link (https://www.walmart.com/ip/54767065?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=Mcj*cziQFDU&sourceid=40984468583736319052&affillinktype=10&veh=aff)

Masterfett
10-17-2016, 05:14 PM
How interesting that he is totally available, while Ahsoka is not. lol

I may wind up getting another for a custom, but I'll need him so go on sale for around $8.

Lord_Hurin
11-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Can anyone confirm whether or not the TFA 5POA figure's head would fit on this body?

Masterfett
11-09-2016, 03:17 AM
With some work, probably so. Most of them are compatible with convincing. But if you're asking for a straight swap, probably not. As the Jaw is articulated.

Lord_Hurin
11-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Yeah, looking at it now it seems like the SA figure is a little too trim to make a convincing version of TFA Ackbar anyway. Oh well, I'll either sell him off or make a Mon Cal officer with it...

With some work, probably so. Most of them are compatible with convincing. But if you're asking for a straight swap, probably not. As the Jaw is articulated.

ThallJoben
11-09-2016, 11:19 AM
This TBS (formerly TVC) version of Admiral Ackbar (Mr. Fish-man - LOL) is definitely the best 3.75" version of the character. Excellent likeness, and I'm very impressed by the detail here. Well-done.

Masterfett
11-09-2016, 12:29 PM
I agree. The only downfall was no knees, would have been awesome to get his chair someday! :grin:

Masterfett
11-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Never mind, brainfart.

KypDurron420
04-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I needed Ackbar, so the reissue came in handy.

I love the little computer thing he comes with too.

He's easy to make look like he's reading something on it and ignoring the other bridge crew Mon Cal's. X{D

I just wish his ankles were articulated.

But I guess they 'can't articulate flared pant legs of that magnitude!' :{P

bladerunner1
04-30-2017, 11:42 PM
Akbar is great for putting in dance poses. I have mine doing the splits with his head turned facing the audience at the moment. Wish we had a SA Lobot to go with him.

KypDurron420
05-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Akbar is great for putting in dance poses. I have mine doing the splits with his head turned facing the audience at the moment. Wish we had a SA Lobot to go with him.

I can hear disco Star wars now... X{D