PDA

View Full Version : Could another company make 3.75" figures?

GNT
02-25-2016, 03:25 AM
Could another company make 3.75" figures?

We seem to have a couple foreign companies making 6" or 7" figures besides Hasbro atm (Medicom and Bandai) for foreign markets so could another company creep up and whisk everyone away with a new 3.75" line that is actually stocked and aimed at collectors? or is 6" scale just a better collector scale now and that the 3.75 scale is just obsolete? Would you be willing to see or buy another companies 3.75 offerings even if they cost more?

Internets
02-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Not necessary figures, but I'd love a company to start producing 3 3/4 scale vehicles. I'd even accept 1:18 scale Bandai-esque model kits that you put together yourself.

If another company produced 3 3/4 figures I'd need them to be compatible and aesthetically in keeping with Hasbro's offerings.

Utinniii
02-25-2016, 06:47 AM
Ooooh, I like the idea of build your own vehicles in scale.

I wouldn't mind another company making things we don't already have (EU, rare figures, TFA Beasts, worrt, Smuggler's boxes,...) however, they would also want to crank out endless Hans, Bobba Fetts et al. I have no real interest in the latter. I might pick up some army builders or cool looking backgrounders (but the backgrounders would have to be different from my existing figures. An Ithorian or Rodian I'd buy but I don't need another Greedo or Hammerhead.)

If the figures were compatible but only a little more expensive I would consider them if the added quality was there.
I've seen a couple of Kickstarter figures (HACKS) that sell unpainted neutral figures with accessories. That, I might be interested in from a customizing perspective.
Imagine a basic Rebel Pilot body with different heads, hands, helmets and accessories; or generic Mandalorian with accessories.
Imagine, if you can, just buying a dozen helmets!!!

Distribution would also be a factor. If I could only order them online or get them from a few select stores I'd probably lose interest quickly. Shipping outside the USA is expensive and often more than the price of the figure.

A new company would be great for new collectors, someone looking for something new to collect or anyone with deep pockets, but for me (a collector since the Kenner line started) it would probably be mostly redundant.

Trooper31
02-25-2016, 07:40 AM
The biggest problem with a new company making 3.75" figures, would be the repeats of figures we've seen a number of times. The figures, as mentioned above, would also have to fit in with the Hasbro figures we have already. If Hasbro decided to sublicense the SA 3.75" line, then I'd probably be up for that.

I think 3.75" is in no way obsolete because it's been the original size since the 70s for SW figures. Even if we don't display our vintage figures anymore, the vintage vehicles and playsets fit in perfectly with today's offerings. 3.75" is the known and beloved size for SW toys, so it would be a bad idea to try and Change all of that biy going bigger or smaller than 3.75" while cutting out the 3.75" lines.

We know and have discussed the varuious economic reasons for the 6" line, but I think another reason Hasbro decided to make that size is that they can redo a lot of popular characters. Hasbro knows that Luke, Han, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, etc are still great sellers, but they've done them so many times in the 3.75" lines that they know the die-hards that will buy just about anything SW have become fatigued with some of those same Releases. However, make the figures a bit bigger, and you have something "new" that those fans can lap up.

In the end, I'd just prefer Hasbro to stop being lazy and using cheap excuses to not Support the SA 3.75" line as a regular line. Because this line is continuing, Hasbro knows that there are enough customers out there to Keep it alive. Hasbro is also afraid that if they have a Force Friday even with 5 POA, 6", and 3.75" SA on the pegs at the same time, that the 3.75" stuff will get bought up at such a fast pace, that they'll have to make more of those figures for retail and less of their "big Moneymakers" 5 POA.

Trooper31
02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
I just wanted to add to my final Statement that the reason the 3.75" SA figures would get bought up so quickly at FF is that most of the People that go out at midnight to buy Action figures, are adult collectors. I'm not saying the stores wouldn't sell through their 5 POA figures once parents and kids started hitting the SW aisles, however, if SA sold out first, those would be the first reorders that stores would make and that would put Hasbro in the Position of giving the customers what they want and not what Hasbro might want (5 POA having a higher Profit margin perfigure).

Kareth
02-25-2016, 09:51 AM
I would be in for this. Like others have said we would have to weather more ANH luke, Vader, Obi etc but over time I think we would get higher quality figures and see the line branch out into unmade figures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkArtist
02-25-2016, 09:58 AM
I don't see why another company can't produce other figures in the 3.75" scale line especially since we have companies that are producing high end collectible in the 6" scale that rival the Hasbro 6". I'd be interested to see what companies could come up with.

I like the concept of a the build your own 1:18th scale vehicles and I'd love for another company to roll the dice and make detailed 1:18th modular playsets that are compatible with the Hasbro figures.

indysolo007
02-25-2016, 12:12 PM
One of the best 3.75 inch Star Wars products I've purchased was not made by Hasbro

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/image1937.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/image1937.jpg)

VideoViper
02-25-2016, 12:51 PM
As it is now I mix the lines, & will have Dr who, Joe SW Marvel & Hacks right next to each other.

As others have said, outsource vehicles & playsets to companies willing to take the risk, even if Hasbro get 5% because they hold the license. (like the movie deal) it could be a win for everyone.

Meesa_Mike
02-25-2016, 01:49 PM
I would totally be in for this. Star Wars needs to be taken away from Hasbro. Mafex, Bandai, S.H.Figurarts are better equipped to provide collector quality at this point. There is no hope for Hasbro.

DarkArtist
02-25-2016, 02:25 PM
how about SW figures from the Kaiyodo Mini Revoltech series. I have the War Machine and it's amazing. the articulation is great and the details are awesome.

Rezikai
02-25-2016, 06:28 PM
how about SW figures from the Kaiyodo Revoltech series. I have the War Machine and it's amazing. the articulation is great and the details are awesome.

I love KR's stuff... even for crappy ecchi comedy figures like their QB line the quality was there. If it was done by them in the 1/18 scale i'd love that.. heck I'd settle for them making the vehicles/playsets

jedimasterc
02-25-2016, 08:23 PM
One of the best 3.75 inch Star Wars products I've purchased was not made by Hasbro

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/image1937.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/image1937.jpg)

I have the Starspeeder and its a fantastic toy.

Gothiczartan84
02-25-2016, 10:35 PM
It would be great if they have a better toy company that willing to make the figures the way you want.

Trooper31
02-26-2016, 05:42 AM
Hasbro would fight this tooth and nail because they know that they would lose to many collectors that they Need to buy vehicles and 5 POA. Hasbro would rather give us a few SA 3.75" figures per year than allow another Company to make them. Even with a number of redoes, the other Company could quickly bring out a number of TFA figures as well. They'd just mix things the whole way through. Also, another Company wouldn't have to do certain figures (at least for a while) that we already have fairly perfect Versions of.

One Thing, though, is that another Company might decide that if they're going to tackle something like this, they would make ultimate Versions instead of the mini improvements over a number of years. They could make a farmboy Luke with a couple of heads, and just about all of the accessories Luke used in the film. They'd Charge a higher Price of course, but I'd be a lot happier knowing I can buy one farmboy Luke and not have to wait for a small Change or different accessory down the line. This Version would also make an excellent repack down the line for those they may have been out of collecting when it began. The newbies could get a main character and those of us that bought him in the beginning would feel like we were being taken to the cleaners to get an improved Version of a figure we already bought (or the needed accessories).

DarkArtist
02-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Hasbro would fight this tooth and nail because they know that they would lose to many collectors that they Need to buy vehicles and 5 POA. Hasbro would rather give us a few SA 3.75" figures per year than allow another Company to make them. Even with a number of redoes, the other Company could quickly bring out a number of TFA figures as well. They'd just mix things the whole way through. Also, another Company wouldn't have to do certain figures (at least for a while) that we already have fairly perfect Versions of.

One Thing, though, is that another Company might decide that if they're going to tackle something like this, they would make ultimate Versions instead of the mini improvements over a number of years. They could make a farmboy Luke with a couple of heads, and just about all of the accessories Luke used in the film. They'd Charge a higher Price of course, but I'd be a lot happier knowing I can buy one farmboy Luke and not have to wait for a small Change or different accessory down the line. This Version would also make an excellent repack down the line for those they may have been out of collecting when it began. The newbies could get a main character and those of us that bought him in the beginning would feel like we were being taken to the cleaners to get an improved Version of a figure we already bought (or the needed accessories).

I agree... if another company was to make 3.75" figures of Star Wars in addition to the current offerings from Hasbro then the new company should make Ultimate versions of the figures similar to the Ultimate line from G.I. Joe. a serious of highly detailed, super articulated, multiple accessories, heads, hands, gear etc. some of the figures that would benefit from this could be:

ANH Luke (see Trooper31's comments)
ESB Hoth Luke - wampa damage, non wampa damage, no cap and scarf, include lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, blaster, binoculars, ice cave accessories
ROTJ Luke - cloth vest, correct cloth robe, lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, blaster pistol, gloved hand, non gloved hand, blaster damage hand, sandstorm accessories, Endor Helmet, Cloth combat poncho, handcuffs, different headsculpts
Darth Vader - cloth cape, different hands for different force gestures, removable 3 part helmet, lightsaber hilts (all versions are different) ignited lightsaber, severed hand, funeral pyre with electronics
ROTJ Emperor Palpatine - cloth robes, throne, Sidious Lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, cane, Force Lightning hands, regular hands DSII background window display
Han Solo - ANH look, with blaster, changeable gloves hands, stormtrooper belt with blaster rifle, fabric Endor coat, explosive charges

Internets
02-26-2016, 09:48 AM
I don't necessarily mind different versions of characters warranting individual release but it does my head in when they're so stylistically different that they may as well be a different character/actor. For example, TVC Death Star Luke looks nothing like TVC Bespin Luke who in turn looks nothing like Jabba's Palace Luke. Nail a likeness and stick to it (with obvious minor changes to hairstyles etc). Also, the figures need to be much more modular. Joints should be universal. You should be able to stick a Han head on Chewie body if you want.

xfamousnicknaro
02-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Here's my million dollar idea that I'd never be able to capitalize on anyway:

With the growing accessibility of 3D printing, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually toy companies open up their own stores. Consider a Hasbro store. You can go in and order, on the spot, any figure you want at any articulation level you want, at any scale, and it's done in a matter of minutes or hours. Price varies accordingly. You can have them assembled and painted, or do it yourself. Then pick your packaging.

How awesome would that be?

keknivek
02-26-2016, 11:19 AM

With the growing accessibility of 3D printing, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually toy companies open up their own stores. Consider a Hasbro store. You can go in and order, on the spot, any figure you want at any articulation level you want, at any scale, and it's done in a matter of minutes or hours. Price varies accordingly. You can have them assembled and painted, or do it yourself. Then pick your packaging.

As much as I'm behind this line of thinking... I think it's a billion dollar cost for a million dollar profit. That level of customization for each person would never be cost effective. Much like cars and computers never became a routine thing until they could be mass produced, toy companies really can't go the opposite direction. As much as I want a 3 3/4" Tonnika, I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for them.

bigbarada
02-26-2016, 12:07 PM
those of us that bought him in the beginning would feel like we were being taken to the cleaners to get an improved Version of a figure we already bought (or the needed accessories).

I assume you meant that those who bought the figure in the beginning would NOT feel like they were being taken to the cleaners. Either way, how is anyone being "taken to the cleaners" when they are voluntarily buying these toys? Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy any Star Wars action figure. So, if you feel that you are being forced to waste your money on a toy purchase, then that's entirely your fault.

Anyway, my 3.75" OT want list is so obscure right now that I doubt I would be interested in another company taking over. Especially since we'd have to get through years and years of Lukes, Hans, Vaders, Boba Fetts, Darth Mauls, ROTS Obi-Wans, etc. before they got around to making an OT figure that I could actually get excited about.

By the time the SA 3.75" line imploded in 2012, my want list had dwindled down to just Barada, Yotts Oren, Chukha-Trok, and an ROTJ Y-Wing Pilot. Right now, I'd be perfectly happy with any of those figures in Hasbro's current 5POA line as long as they were made well.

Utinniii
02-26-2016, 12:23 PM

Pretty awesome! I've mentioned something like this before. I think it is only a matter of time. We already have an online 3D Printer company.
I see Malls having a shop with a 3D Printer. People go in, order from other companies and have it printed out on site.

The main difference is I think a lot of the original files come from independent crafters (like us).

xfamousnicknaro
02-26-2016, 08:32 PM
As much as I'm behind this line of thinking... I think it's a billion dollar cost for a million dollar profit. That level of customization for each person would never be cost effective. Much like cars and computers never became a routine thing until they could be mass produced, toy companies really can't go the opposite direction. As much as I want a 3 3/4" Tonnika, I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for them.

Cars and computers are a bit more complex. I'm betting within ten years, there will be tons of 3D printing stores just like any copy store. And there will likely be a ton of figure files being shared online and used in these stores. When that becomes cost effective, it'll be cutting into any toy company's profits. Mattel is even releasing their own 3D printer this year. They have an app that let's you design the toy from premade files and choose it's color. It's rudimentary now, but in a year? Five? Just going to get more precise.

I could be wrong, but I forsee a Mattel store where young girls can go and print their own individualized Barbie of any height, weight or ethnicity. Build A Bear and LEGO stores are pretty successful, at least partially die to the customizable nature, so why not have stores dedicated to individual brands?

More likely, now that I think of it, is the idea that toy companies will just sell their own 3D printers (like Mattel is already doing) and have you do it at home.

Masterfett
02-27-2016, 12:56 AM
Yeah, because that's what I want. To turn my home into a production plant...
I get the ideology of it, from a customizing standpoint. Mainly for characters that don't get made. But I don't really wan to have to make my own "every single figure" plus have to paint them. At some point it would feel like far more work than a Hobby should be.

The shop idea maybe. Kind of like going to the Disney store to build your own droid. It does sound cool. The question is, would this solve distribution issues? Or production errors? I don't see this happening that soon, if ever. Seems like it wouldn't operate as easy as one might think.

DarkManX
02-27-2016, 01:26 AM
I get the ideology of it, from a customizing standpoint. Mainly for characters that don't get made. But I don't really wan to have to make my own "every single figure" plus have to paint them. At some point it would feel like far more work than a Hobby should be.

The shop idea maybe. Kind of like going to the Disney store to build your own droid. It does sound cool. The question is, would this solve distribution issues? Or production errors? I don't see this happening that soon, if ever. Seems like it wouldn't operate as easy as one might think.

Pretty much. Would simply cost too much to operate. The tech isn't there yet imo. You also have to factor in all of the other Hasbro lines like My Little Pony,GI Joe,and Transformers that people would want specially made as well. At that point it's not a store so much as a factory with a cash register.

Utinniii
02-27-2016, 01:50 AM
Well, look at what your phone or computer was like 10 years ago compared to now. Imagine what will be possible in 10 years time.

It will be harder and more expensive to do older toys, but new toy will have a digital mold.

Eventually there will be an app or a place to scan old toys, and remember, the work only has to be done once per toy.

Trooper31
02-27-2016, 05:42 AM
Agreed. I think the idea of going to a shop and having them produce the figure you want there is possibly over the next 10 years. I think this could end up being a cost cutting measure for a lot of companies. They could get rid of all of the shipping and Transport costs as well. Amazon is already looking at having 3-D Printers in trucks that drive to your house and pribnt out what you Need (home repairs Projects and such). I'm sure many industries will do this as well.

One Problem would be that there wouldn't be a Hasbro store in every town, so Access to the store wouldn't be a "down the street" type of Thing. However, if you knew that you could drive 100 miles to the next store and get everything you wanted in one trip, that would make the trip worthwhile.

Also, Hasbro wouldn't have to worry about producing "X" Mount of figures because with Money being saved on Transportation costs as well as wages for factories in China, they could have just about any digitally scanned figure in their catalog ready to be made on demand. Also, think about all of the set pieces, accessories (large and small) and playsets that could be offered through something like that. Hasbro wouldn't even have to have ist own store. Somebody would just have to have a store that did 3-D printing and then buy a license to produce the stuff.

If this became a way of Hasbro cutting costs and earning higher profits, then I'd think this is actually a real possibility.

Nicklab
02-27-2016, 09:57 AM
I don't see another 3.75" figure contract going out to another manufacturer. The 6" scale is one thing, since it's marketed to collectors at a higher price point, and resultingly it sells in lower volume. But the 3.75" figure line is marketed on a mass scale internationally. And it's all about volume sales.

Plus? There have been rumblings that Hasbro has expressed concern/displeasure about some of the other 6" figure import lines that have made their way onto the American market. If a company like Bandai were to start making a competing 3.75" figure line for the Asian market that starts to make it's way into North America via online retail, Hasbro would no doubt make a VERY big stink about it. That master toy license cost them a fortune, and being undercut by a competing licensee would create a very big rift between Hasbro and Lucas Licensing/Disney.

xfamousnicknaro
02-27-2016, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't mind having a 3D printer (and I'll probably get one when the cost and production value feel worth it), but I love customizing.

It's just, consider how many times have people said "do I really need (insert thing) in my home?" throughout history. But people have a refrigerator. They have a washer and dryer. They have a tv. They have a printer. It's just going to be the next step and it's going to change a great many things.

Masterfett
02-27-2016, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't mind having a 3D printer (and I'll probably get one when the cost and production value feel worth it), but I love customizing.

It's just, consider how many times have people said "do I really need (insert thing) in my home?" throughout history. But people have a refrigerator. They have a washer and dryer. They have a tv. They have a printer. It's just going to be the next step and it's going to change a great many things.

Oh I agree, one day I'll likely get a 3D printer too.

But I, nor have any of my family line for decades. Have ever said I don't want a Refrigerator or Stove in my home. Especially a TV!

xfamousnicknaro
02-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Oh I agree, one day I'll likely get a 3D printer too.

But I, nor have any of my family line for decades. Have ever said I don't want a Refrigerator or Stove in my home. Especially a TV!

No, but I guarantee there were people who said those things when they were becoming available. Whenever a new technology comes out, there are people who stand against it. When ipods and mp3 players were starting to hit, I held against getting one for years. Sure enough, I have one now.

I could be wrong about all of this, I just forsee big changes in the next few years. All I know is that when I can get a file that will allow me to print 1:18 figures or any property I want, toy companies are going to lose my business hard. Heck, if the tech becomes easier to use and I can do the designing myself, that would be ideal.

lister
02-27-2016, 03:25 PM
I agree... if another company was to make 3.75" figures of Star Wars in addition to the current offerings from Hasbro then the new company should make Ultimate versions of the figures similar to the Ultimate line from G.I. Joe. a serious of highly detailed, super articulated, multiple accessories, heads, hands, gear etc. some of the figures that would benefit from this could be:

ANH Luke (see Trooper31's comments)
ESB Hoth Luke - wampa damage, non wampa damage, no cap and scarf, include lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, blaster, binoculars, ice cave accessories
ROTJ Luke - cloth vest, correct cloth robe, lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, blaster pistol, gloved hand, non gloved hand, blaster damage hand, sandstorm accessories, Endor Helmet, Cloth combat poncho, handcuffs, different headsculpts
Darth Vader - cloth cape, different hands for different force gestures, removable 3 part helmet, lightsaber hilts (all versions are different) ignited lightsaber, severed hand, funeral pyre with electronics
ROTJ Emperor Palpatine - cloth robes, throne, Sidious Lightsaber hilt, ignited lightsaber, Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, cane, Force Lightning hands, regular hands DSII background window display
Han Solo - ANH look, with blaster, changeable gloves hands, stormtrooper belt with blaster rifle, fabric Endor coat, explosive charges

I've never been a huge fan of the idea of these kinds of "ultimate" versions. I like to display all of a given character's "looks" at the same time and this would make that difficult. You can't display farmboy Luke and Death Star Escape Luke at the same time without buying two ultimate versions which would likely cost more than buying two different figures.

bigbarada
02-27-2016, 03:52 PM
I don't believe that 3D printing is going to end the toy industry, but it is going to take a large bite out of it. In the same way that low cost inkjet printers and the internet have take a huge bite out of the book, magazine and newspaper publishing industry. However, those industries are still around. The music industry has also taken a huge hit from digital music downloads, but record companies still exist even if they are just a pale shadow of their former selves.

If anything, I see 3D printing as finally divorcing the collectibles market from the children's toy market completely. There will always be a market for cheap toys that kids beg their parents to buy them in the store aisles, but it's possible that retailers devoted solely to toy sales, like TRU, could become the first casualties of the 3D printing boom. However, I think we're probably still a couple of decades away from that.

xfamousnicknaro
02-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Of course. I probably shouldn't have made it sound as if traditional toys would disappear completely. That may never happen. I guess we'll have to see how things shake out as the tech gets better and less expensive, but I think the question of what company could make quality 3.75" Star Wars toys is really what 3D printing company can handle it?

Masterfett
02-28-2016, 12:50 AM
I think the bigger picture would be, how many people would be out of jobs if something like this were to happen? Because obviously there'd be no reason for them to have factories in China etc. anymore.

Not to mention there'd be no need for Modelers/Sculptors anymore.

Utinniii
02-28-2016, 12:59 AM
I think the bigger picture would be, how many people would be out of jobs if something like this were to happen? Because obviously there'd be no reason for them to have factories in China etc. anymore.

Not to mention there'd be no need for Modelers/Sculptors anymore.

We still need the Modelers/Sculptors for new product and we would need someone to create the archive.

We might need less factories or smaller shipments but people would still want to go shopping for real products. Also, I doubt a 3D printer could do complicated toys. Some toy will need electronics, metal/fabric parts, oil...

As for the loss of jobs, that is the price of progress. Look what computers did to the work force.

xfamousnicknaro
02-28-2016, 10:17 AM
It would definitely hurt factory jobs to a degree, but it would create jobs for where ever the stores opened up. They would need people who were familiar with the software, and with the printers themselves. Maybe they could have in house painters as well. Probably a stretch, but who's to say?

Maybe this is all just wishful thinking, but I'm just imagining a day where there are no more hard to find figures. No more versions that don't please everyone. No more arguments about 5poa vs SA. It can all exist!

Utinniii
02-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm still waiting for my holodeck while we at it!!!

Masterfett
02-28-2016, 06:50 PM
It may not remove jobs per say, but it would definitely switch from "labor" to "specialized" requirement. So we'd need even more "schooled" individuals with some type of degree.

Muftak
02-28-2016, 10:20 PM
3D printing is just a piece of the puzzle of "instant figures." The sculpted catalogue of available printouts, the assembly of such figures (I'm assuming we are talking at least 5POA here, but probably SA), the painting...

You can have the best 3D printers in the world and they aren't gonna help you paint Han Solo's eyes in the right place. Heck, that can't happen now with the state-of-the-art factories Hasbro uses. Sure haven't seen anything like computerized model painting hardware anywhere near a consumer level.

Hand-painted printouts then (to stay with the painting example,) which when taken away from the factory assembly line are going to increase the cost of each figure dramatically, because those artists working for the "3D printing kiosk" at the local mall are going to have to be not only skilled with steady hands but also the great range of figures/printouts that could come up from day to day and that drives the whole business model. You want your "on demand" figure, but how much are you willing to spend for them? Fifty bucks each?

I feel like we are still a long way from downloading the figures we want. But I would like to see what some other company could do with a competing license, say "sliced" down to specifically collector figures. I could see 12 collector-grade 3 3/4" figures a year, 20-25 dollars apiece, accessories as make sense. Start a collector's club where the subscription gets you an appropriate "members only" variant twice a year. Give Hasbro competition like that, please!

keknivek
02-29-2016, 12:01 PM
I think the same thing that prevents me from customizing my own figures would continue to prevent me from printing my own figures. Do I really want to spend the time assembling and painting a figure? If I had all the tools right in front of me, I still don't know that I would want the toys that bad to do this.

Now if you said that a company would create the custom figure for you, but it would cost $30, $40?..... I might be tempted to do a couple, but that's not a sustainable market. People already don't want to spend $13 bucks on a 3 3/4" figure. It would be interesting if a company were able to get the tooling down to where they had a whole catalog of molds and paint applications ready to go. We'd still see complaints that "X" figure will never get made :(..

I will say that 3D printing has and will continue to find a lot of interesting uses. I think replacement parts for a lot of things could be marketed... everything from toys to household items to nifty gadgets. I like when people dream though... it's why we have most of the things we have now.

xfamousnicknaro
02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
That's the thing, though. The file for every character could and should exist. In this hypothetical world, there would never be a pegwarmer. If a character never got printed, oh well, there was never anything physical to worry about. On the flipside, army builders could have 100 stormtroopers relatively easily. And the money is made there. Honestly, if the program could be organized correctly, which is a lot to ask, it would really benefit everyone.

I bet as the tech progresses, the machines will be able to do paint apps and tampos as well.

keknivek
02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
That's the thing, though. The file for every character could and should exist. In this hypothetical world, there would never be a pegwarmer. If a character never got printed, oh well, there was never anything physical to worry about. On the flipside, army builders could have 100 stormtroopers relatively easily. And the money is made there. Honestly, if the program could be organized correctly, which is a lot to ask, it would really benefit everyone.

I bet as the tech progresses, the machines will be able to do paint apps and tampos as well.

Well... I'm sure at some point people scoffed at a machine that would do what our cell phones will do now, so here's to the future!

Masterfett
02-29-2016, 07:24 PM
I do think we got off topic a bit. This is about another company taking over, and we're all talking about vending machines that print off figures while you sip a Latte. lol

So getting back on subject. I think if another company wants to make figures, they should be allowed to. Maybe it would then force Hasbro to up the quality, and their game. Or at the very least, allow them to make the figures Hasbro doesn't see as viable?

I actually had a thought the other day, about why Hasbro got into the 6" market after years of saying no. Maybe "Disney" wanted a 6" line and was going to offer it up to someone else. Then Hasbro said, wait a tick, that's our thing. So they told Disney to give them first crack at it, to see how it plays out. We'll see what happens in a few years, whether it's still with Hasbro or another company.

Gothiczartan84
02-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Why don't Mattel take over? They did a good job on the MOTU line. Can they make fully articulated 3.75" figures?

Darth_Brett
03-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Why don't Mattel take over? They did a good job on the MOTU line. Can they make fully articulated 3.75" figures?

I think Mattel would do a great job for a 6" line. Not so sure they can do the 3.75" scale any better than Hasbro, though.

DJ121
03-05-2016, 08:29 PM
I think Mattel would do a great job for a 6" line. Not so sure they can do the 3.75" scale any better than Hasbro, though.

Nope. Have you seen some of the Super Hero figures? They use this terrible torso joint where the figure bends instead of turns or moves at the waist.

It's fun to speculate, but this will just simply never happen. Hasbro has secured the rights to exclusively sell 3.75 action figures. That's why Funko said there is no way they could ever make ReAction Star Wars figures. That's also why Lego can not sell a Star Wars blind bag mini figure series. Even being that small, they are considered action figures, and Hasbro has exclusive rights. I could be wrong on this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Hasbro had to give Sideshow Gentle Giant and Hot toys permission to sell larger figures. I'm not sure about companies like Bandai.

steveaustin
03-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Neca! Neca! Neca!

jediblood
03-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Bridge Direct?

LOL

Masterfett
03-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Neca i can do w/o. I don't like the plastic they use. It stinks and is brittle.

steveaustin
03-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Neca i can do w/o. I don't like the plastic they use. It stinks and is brittle.

They've had some problems with a few factories not curing the plastics long enough but they are superior over hasbro in everything they do in my experience.

ZX3
04-24-2016, 05:47 PM
I think the problem is the company we want to produce things is the Hasbro from ten years ago and that doesn't exist anymore.

starwars
04-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Please? ????????????????

VideoViper
04-26-2016, 09:29 AM
In all honesty I don't see mattel or anyone else doing something better than what's Hasbro's doing right now. If someone else did do Star Wars figures, it would most likely be in another scale. Which is why GG can make 12" figures & not compete with Hasbro's 4" figures.

That being said, How do we get the things we want?

Well since the Joe & Transformer clubs are going away. There seems to be an opportunity to expand on this in Hasbro's/Disney's business plan. For the first time we may get a Star Wars collector's club run by whoever ends up taking over Transformers/Joe/My Little pony or whatever "Club" they end up setting up with.

This would be the opportunity to create the limited interest figures like Maz' cantina creatures that might not sell in retail. Now the down side (or up side depending on your point of view) is they may be made by whoever makes the droid figures for Disney.

The is opportunity if Disney decides to take it.

War_in_The_floor
04-26-2016, 12:38 PM
The number one thing that needs to be fixed is Distribution.
I don't think MORE limited release is the way to go on that..

patrickdurfee
04-26-2016, 02:58 PM
Mattel could make Star Wars figures but then you guys would flip out if they were 30 bucks just like the newer He Man Masters of the Universe toy dolls

bigbarada
04-27-2016, 06:14 AM
I would never support any sort of "collector's club" where you're basically paying a company money to make stuff you don't want in the hopes that someday they might just make something that you actually do want.

VideoViper
04-27-2016, 07:09 AM
I would never support any sort of "collector's club" where you're basically paying a company money to make stuff you don't want in the hopes that someday they might just make something that you actually do want.

I used the colector club model as an example, because that's what we are familar with. It could easily take different forms, the point is there is a good chance specialty items could become more available for those who can't get them now.

fumetti
06-03-2016, 03:21 PM
I think the problem is the company we want to produce things is the Hasbro from ten years ago and that doesn't exist anymore.

That's the most depressing bit of truth in this hobby today.

I keep going to the same retailers/hobby shops looking for something to buy....all in vain because there's nobody out there even making it anymore. This hobby (3.75 SA) is all but dead. I've bought ONE new such figure in what seems like YEARS (Yavin Leia).

This 5POA TFA stuff is "meh" to me (as was the movie). I got interested in the 5POA OT figs but that dried up too.

I really WANT to keep my hobby going....but I can't because of Hasbro. (Same thing happened with 1:6 G.I. Joe.)

DarkManX
06-03-2016, 07:01 PM
I used the colector club model as an example, because that's what we are familar with. It could easily take different forms, the point is there is a good chance specialty items could become more available for those who can't get them now.

There may be a model that might work but the closing of the joe and transformer clubs isn't going to entice Hasbro to try it with star wars. For all the flack over the hero mashers it gets lost that the line had been successful with their other properties. For some reason it busts with star wars. Producing toys is really an inexact science no matter how much we all wish it would change at the snap of the fingers.