PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Jedi Luke Figure

Mighty_Jabba
02-16-2016, 04:03 PM
https://mightyjabba.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/jumbo_jedi_luke.jpg

This is new, right? Now up for preorder.

ROTJ Luke Skywalker Jumbo Figure - Star Wars - Collectibles Gentle Giant LTD. (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/collectibles/star-wars/rotj-luke-skywalker-jumbo-figure-collectible)

Kevin_Lentz
02-16-2016, 04:07 PM
And just like that, they're back. This one is essential - glad they're doing it.

xphillips
02-16-2016, 04:42 PM
4th Quarter release (maybe the 3D systems and GG company buyout stopped production of everything for a year. But this is a good sign that the 12" are back to represent ROTJ
I wonder and hope there will be a SDCC exclusive!

Kevin_Lentz
02-16-2016, 05:02 PM
4th Quarter release (maybe the 3D systems and GG company buyout stopped production of everything for a year. But this is a good sign that the 12" are back to represent ROTJ
I wonder and hope there will be a SDCC exclusive!

Can I be briefly cynical and suspect it will be Jedi Luke on POTF card or with a blue lightsaber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillMulder
02-16-2016, 05:13 PM
So happy to see the line back especially with the crown jewel!

Shabby_Blue
02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Can I be briefly cynical and suspect it will be Jedi Luke on POTF card or with a blue lightsaber?

Yes, that would be nice, even though it's inaccurate. The blue saber was only ever released with Luke on his original ROTJ card. I happen to own a blue saber Luke....

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/lukefig.jpg

AaylaSecurasMan
02-16-2016, 06:03 PM
I am getting this one for sure, I hope that they package it with the cape open or folded so we can see more detail of the figure. I know, I know, I can just open it and do whatever I want in there as these are re-sealable :)

Shabby_Blue
02-16-2016, 06:07 PM
I am getting this one for sure, I hope that they package it with the cape open or folded so we can see more detail of the figure. I know, I know, I can just open it and do whatever I want in there as these are re-sealable :)

Kenner packaged it both ways back then. I think it's mostly on Tri-Logo cards where he's wearing his cloak inside the bubble. I agree that it would be preferable if he had the cloak folded behind him in the bubble to show the figure.

Keep in mind that the mockup pictured at the top of this thread is a photoshop job. That's the 3.75" Kenner figure and his original cloak, not the final product GG will give us. Hope they don't screw up the color and style of the cloak. I also wonder if it will have a stitched hood or a metal snap on it since the cloak was made both ways.

BillMulder
02-16-2016, 06:17 PM
I know alot of people complain about the convention exclusives usually being a rehash of an existing figure but I wouldn't blame them for doing it on this one. Even in the huge mass of SDCC exclusives, this figure would be very popular.

Shabby_Blue
02-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I'd have no problem with an SDCC exclusive being Luke on a POTF card. Gentle Giant should have done that LAST YEAR to take advantage of the Force Awakens hype and seeing Luke on the big screen again. Oh well... better late than never.

Kevin_Lentz
02-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes, that would be nice, even though it's inaccurate. The blue saber was only ever released with Luke on his original ROTJ card. I happen to own a blue saber Luke....

That's why I said "or." ;)

DefSith
02-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Was hoping that Luke Jedi would be the next figure. Great the GG is doing it 😊

jedimasterc
02-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Never had the Jedi Luke back in the day but I have got one carded a quite a few years ago. I always liked that version of him.

ramy
02-16-2016, 09:24 PM
I am happy about this figure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DarthMickeyMoose
02-16-2016, 10:00 PM
As stated the picture is of a real Vintage Luke Jedi not the GG One. I'll wait and see what comes.

TheGoodDr
02-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Just when I thought I was out they pull me right back in! LoL
Very excited about this figure! :)

AaylaSecurasMan
02-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Preordered him from BBTS tonight. Now to wait until the end of the year.

Faker
03-06-2016, 09:38 AM
I got my fingers crossed for a blue saber/snap cape variant. That's the version I had when I was a kid.

Cosmic_Cow
03-06-2016, 07:38 PM
As stated the picture is of a real Vintage Luke Jedi not the GG One. I'll wait and see what comes.

Just imagine it with a dull paint job and slightly out of scale. :P

DarthMickeyMoose
03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Just imagine it with a dull paint job and slightly out of scale. :P

Oh yeah that's real easy with GG.

BosskHasManners
03-08-2016, 01:45 AM
Whatever it becomes as far as "original figure discrepancies", I'll imagine it on my shelf.

I've been outta the loop for a few weeks (or more). Nice to see this new figure here, as I lament how much the jumbos have become even more expensive on the secondary market than when I first started posting here and many were expounding on how the line was over and interest was on the downslope overall.

Well, whoever you are (and whoever you aren't), we're all vintage Star Wars figure fans---so let's celebrate---at least a little ;)

AaylaSecurasMan
07-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Displayed at SDCC

http://www.rebelscum.com/2016-SDCC/Gentle-Giant-2016-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Tuesday/Gentle-Giant-2016-San-Diego-Comic-Con-Tuesday-002.jpg

Mighty_Jabba
07-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Face looks kinda off to me.

wgenich
07-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Face looks kinda off to me.

Yeah, shouldn't there be a paint rub on the nose? :D

Tweekem
07-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Cape looks like crud... he looks pissed and bloated... pass unless they fix it

xphillips
07-26-2016, 05:13 PM
I agree the cape is off. It needs to be thicker. The face does look a little frowny, but overall I like him. But fix the cape!! (Odds are there will be a blue saber exclusive version.) Was there a card variant in the 80s for Luke Jedi??

jedimasterc
07-26-2016, 05:55 PM
The only one I know if is one had a blue saber. You have to admit that was really the way he was in ROTJ. I might pick him up when he gets released.

Kevin_Lentz
07-27-2016, 09:18 AM
The only one I know if is one had a blue saber. You have to admit that was really the way he was in ROTJ. I might pick him up when he gets released.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The vintage Kenner Luke came initially with a blue saber (per LFL promo material before they changed it to green), but more commonly with a green saber. There's also other variants on the Kenner figure (snap cape vs. sewn cape; painted face vs. molded face). As far as card variants, Luke Jedi was available on both ROTJ (with sticker and back variants) and POTF.

Shabby_Blue
07-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Was there a card variant in the 80s for Luke Jedi??

Aside from different mail-away offers, the only significant card variants were a POTF card with coin and a Tri-logo version.

Faker
07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
I had the blue saber/snap cape version when I was a kid. As much as I'd like to have that version instead of the standard version, I think I'm going for this. Even if the variant gets made it'll likely be exclusive and hard to get anyway.

jedimasterc
07-27-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here. The vintage Kenner Luke came initially with a blue saber (per LFL promo material before they changed it to green), but more commonly with a green saber. There's also other variants on the Kenner figure (snap cape vs. sewn cape; painted face vs. molded face). As far as card variants, Luke Jedi was available on both ROTJ (with sticker and back variants) and POTF.

Far enough.

darthvader23
10-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Well, this luke's been on pre-order for nearly 4 months ( could be longer ), with no announcement on when it's actually being released. Same goes for HAN carbonite...... and I doubt it we'll see it before christmas.

BillMulder
10-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Well, this luke's been on pre-order for nearly 4 months ( could be longer ), with no announcement on when it's actually being released. Same goes for HAN carbonite...... and I doubt it we'll see it before christmas.I could be wrong but I think the Han carbonite is scheduled for the first quarter of 2017. Plus it seems like the PGM gifts are always months late so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until Q2 to get it.

Shabby_Blue
10-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah Han Carb won't be until sometime early next year since it's the PGM gift. That's always the case with PGM figures.

GrandAdmiralJSK
11-26-2016, 04:44 AM
RSDEAL2 use this code to get 15$ off of this right now

GrandAdmiralJSK
01-02-2017, 04:37 AM
Wow, this just got a bump from December '16 to April '17 on EE. That sucks.

gijigsaw
01-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Like all the other famous deaths in 2016, think we can officially place this line on the "In Memorium montage". Nothing was released in 2016, or did I miss it?

BillMulder
01-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Nothing was released in 2016, or did I miss it?Just the re-releases of the Farmboy Luke for Comic Con.

jedimasterc
01-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Yeah the line had such promise. It was great at first be then stupid product decisions really put me off.

TheGoodDr
01-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Yeah the line had such promise. It was great at first be then stupid product decisions really put me off.

Couldn't agree more. I was sooooo excited for this line, bought the first dozen or so releases.....then once the re-tooling started combined with the very poor QC, I pretty much gave up on the line, ceased my PGM and sold off most of what I had. I ended up keeping just 3PO, R2 and the first few SDCC exclusives.

Mighty_Jabba
01-03-2017, 03:22 AM
I'm still holding out hope that they might come out with the Jabba they showed before, considering that it appeared to be fairly far along in production, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

gijigsaw
01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
On the flip side, I was running out of space to put these. So we got that going for us.

Shabby_Blue
01-09-2017, 12:07 AM
On the flip side, I was running out of space to put these. So we got that going for us.

That's kind of my point of view lately.... coming to accept the obviousness of Gentle Giant giving up on this line now, and finding the bright side that I'll save a lot of money and can use the storage/display space for other things instead.

Shabby_Blue
01-09-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm still holding out hope that they might come out with the Jabba they showed before, considering that it appeared to be fairly far along in production, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

If Jabba was going to be released, it would have happened by now. Hasn't it been nearly 2 years since it was first shown? What's the hold up? I think they just decided it was too big of a risk to push into production.

rnbuda
01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
If Jabba was going to be released, it would have happened by now. Hasn't it been nearly 2 years since it was first shown? What's the hold up? I think they just decided it was too big of a risk to push into production.

I think everyone is wondering what exactly is GG's plan with their Star Wars license in general. It's unfortunate.

ramy
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
They have the final version of the card. They say it will be out next month.

https://www.facebook.com/gentlegiantltd/photos/a.226222097694.138571.171646362694/10154531759147695/?type=3&theater

Shabby_Blue
02-17-2017, 03:52 PM
I still say it could be cool to get a POTF or Trilogo variant too, with a blue saber instead of green. It's not accurate since those weren't the cards Jedi Luke came out on with a blue saber, but it would still be great to get a card variant AND the blue saber. I'd just swap out the sabers so that the blue one is in the regular ROTJ card, and the green saber is on a POTF or Trilogo card for accuracy sake. :)

xphillips
04-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Any update about when Jedi Luke is coming? Still listed as 4th Quarter 2016

BithBandLeader
04-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Any update about when Jedi Luke is coming? Still listed as 4th Quarter 2016

He's on the water right now. Should be shipping later this month.

Sebkenobi
05-03-2017, 12:43 PM
He's on the water right now. Should be shipping later this month.

We are NEXT month. Luke Skywalker has vanished...

BithBandLeader
05-03-2017, 03:14 PM
We are NEXT month. Luke Skywalker has vanished...

You will get your shipping notice for him later this week/early next week.

Sebkenobi
05-04-2017, 12:02 PM
You will get your shipping notice for him later this week/early next week.

Great news! I ordered through BBTS though. Might be a few weeks more...

Sebkenobi
05-16-2017, 12:21 PM
My order has processed through BBTS... Hope to get it next week!
Man, is this a dead forum... I'm replying to myself!

Sebkenobi
05-16-2017, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Z0IF0dEzg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Luke looks awesome, but why oh why have they made the bubble so tiny on this figure? BithBandLeader please explain! It completely ruins the look of the carded figure, even more so than the removal of the Kenner logo! Now I'm gonna have to get another empty clamshell to replace it! Damn GGLTD!!!

AaylaSecurasMan
05-17-2017, 11:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Z0IF0dEzg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Luke looks awesome, but why oh why have they made the bubble so tiny on this figure? BithBandLeader please explain! It completely ruins the look of the carded figure, even more so than the removal of the Kenner logo! Now I'm gonna have to get another empty clamshell to replace it! Damn GGLTD!!!

When you get your Jedi Luke from BBTS could you please let us know if the bubble is really that small? Thanks in advance.

Palitoy_DS_1971
05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
They used the same 3/4 length bubble on last years Luke Skywalker re-releases. See attachment.
(Graphic rendering on left, both release versions on right in short bubbles.)
I've no idea what they tooled this shorter bubble for?
The poor graphics team is getting measurements that do not tally with the new shorter bubbled clamshells and are still creating the standard height bubble colour blocks for the card art.

The only figure up till this point that really needed this mid-scale bubble was Red Snaggletooth from 2012-13.
Instead, that figure was shoved unceremoniously into a really short, pre-existing bubble, meant for 7.5" figures or under, not the 9.5" Red Snags.
That suffered the same issue as the 2 ROTJ Luke Farmboys and this ROTJ Jedi Luke - the artwork was designed for a different bubble and makes it looks like "product slippage" or a visual landslide has taken place.

These wrong bubbles ruined those figures for me, as I'm not a loose collector.
My art teachers used to aggressively instill in us, if you do something do it properly or throw it away and start again until you get it right.
There's no point colouring in a cruddy drawing - it will still be crud, just in colour.

Hypothetically, if I'd made either item in the attachment, then displayed it at my degree show, I'd probably have got an F - it shows that my powers of selection and visual discernment have failed me and I haven't got a clue, even though I've gone to all that trouble making a figure - the execution shows my poor judgment and that I have not adjusted my decision making process in accordance with changes to my original design plan.

I'd assume everyone working at GGLTD in the creative areas, design etc. have achieved a BA level education in art and design - so what can possibly explain this?
As qualified artists - you're supposed to have high standards - not to be maneuvered by the bottom $ line...

All I can think of is they must have a surplus of those "wrong" bubbles lying around to use up - hopefully they'll be gone soon.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/sdcc_2016_jumbo_complaint.jpg

(http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/sdcc_2016_jumbo_complaint.jpg)

Sebkenobi
05-17-2017, 01:09 PM
They used the same 3/4 length bubble on last years Luke Skywalker re-releases. See attachment.
(Graphic rendering on left, both release version on right in short bubbles.)
I've no idea what they tooled this shorter bubble for?
The poor graphics team is getting measurements that do not tally with the new shorter bubbled clamshells and are still creating the standard height bubble colour blocks for the card art.

The only figure up till this point that really needed this mid-scale bubble was Red Snaggletooth from 2012-13.
Instead, that figure was shoved unceremoniously into a really short, pre-existing bubble, meant for 7.5" figures or under, not the 9.5" Red Snags.
That suffered the same issue as the 2 ROTJ Luke Farmboys and this ROTJ Jedi Luke - the artwork was designed for a different bubble and makes it looks like "product slippage" or a visual landslide has taken place.

These wrong bubbles ruined those figures for me, as I'm not a loose collector.
My art teachers used to aggressively instill in us, if you do something do it properly or throw it away and start again until you get it right.
There's no point colouring in a cruddy drawing - it will still be crud, just in colour. http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/sdcc_2016_jumbo_complaint.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/sdcc_2016_jumbo_complaint.jpg)

I'm with you here. And there was Logray also I think... I was hoping Jedi Luke was just a custom defect used for the Youtube video... But I didn't know they had done that to poor ROTJ Farmboy Luke also! AARRRGGGGG!!! If this is the new trend, it has to stop!

I'm personally redoing most of the cardbacks on my figures just for kicks, as a graphic designer, to correct things that bug me about the design, replace with better pictures, KEEP THE KENNER LOGO... And it drove me crazy to notice that the colored blocks behind the figures were not always the same size! (Why? Since every bubble is - apart from a few exceptions?)

I will go nuts if all the new figures get these awful bubbles!

Combat2000
05-17-2017, 06:43 PM
ARRRGH.... looks like his saber was jammed in the tray which is too short. It is warped. CRAP!

Sebkenobi
05-18-2017, 12:13 PM
First official product picture from eBay... Taken from an angle that looks good... But you can clearly see the bubble sits low on the green color block behind.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ROTJ-Jedi-LUKE-SKYWALKER-Jumbo-Retro-Figure-GENTLE-GIANT-In-Hand-Now-/222515633283?hash=item33cef71c83:g:HhQAAOSwZ4dZHcD Y

GrandAdmiralJSK
05-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Ugh, this short bubble just looks mildly retarded next to my boba fett. Disappointed. But this is still one of my all-time favorite figures, so its not going anywhere

suckator
05-23-2017, 10:30 PM
arrived today:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_004021.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_004021.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_003923.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_003923.JPG)

AaylaSecurasMan
05-23-2017, 10:33 PM
arrived today:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_004021.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_004021.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_003923.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_003923.JPG)

Nice, how was your bubble/card offset? Thanks.

suckator
05-23-2017, 10:36 PM
The bubble was short and offset low from the card back image. like in the images shown earlier.

AaylaSecurasMan
05-23-2017, 10:39 PM
The bubble was short and offset low from the card back image. like in the images shown earlier.

Thanks. Just what I feared :(

Sebkenobi
05-24-2017, 10:05 AM
At least the figure looks pretty good... He will indeed deserve a regular bubble to go along with his carded friends. Anybody will display him carded but without the cape? I always loved him better plain black.

Palitoy_DS_1971
05-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Ugh, this short bubble just looks mildly retarded next to my boba fett. Disappointed. But this is still one of my all-time favorite figures, so its not going anywhere
If you really wanted a bubble fix - you could buy ESB BESPIN LUKE JUMBO and keep the bubble and inner hollow and put your JEDI LUKE into it. There's space for a blaster and a lightsaber.
Expensive, but would probably solve the visual disparity between your Boba Fett and ROTJ Jedi Luke.

You could then sell the Bespin Luke to a loose collector.

Combat2000
05-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Anyone else disappointed because they got a warped / bent saber with the fig??

Sebkenobi
05-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Anyone else disappointed because they got a warped / bent saber with the fig??

No, I was disappointed because of the short bubble and removal of the Kenner logo... The lighsaber was fine on mine.

Sebkenobi
05-30-2017, 09:00 AM
I just opened my Jedi Luke figure to get a feel of the cape, and realized the clamshell has been modified a lot more than I thought. The bubble isn't only shorter in height, it's also wider than usual (about half an inch), and they added creases to the exterior bubble like the ones around the inner tray to make it less flimsy. And to my surprise, the clamshell doesn't fold open joined at the bottom like it used to, it is two separate parts. We now have a front and back piece. It is somewhat easier to close, but I find it strange that they decided to retool their packaging at this point in the line.

Anyone else noticed this?

Obi_Han
06-03-2017, 02:31 PM
I just received this figure and am very happy with it. The cloak lies much better than the one on the original vintage figure. My only minor complaint is that the weapons do not stay in the hands that well.

wgenich
06-26-2017, 03:00 PM
After a credit card snafu (I got new cards right when these were scheduled to charge), GG finally got my updated information loaded in, and shipped this last week. It arrived Saturday and the figure looks fine at first glance, but that packaging is ick compared to earlier releases.

ramy
06-27-2017, 07:39 AM
After a credit card snafu (I got new cards right when these were scheduled to charge), GG finally got my updated information loaded in, and shipped this last week. It arrived Saturday and the figure looks fine at first glance, but that packaging is ick compared to earlier releases.

Yeah, the card clam shell no longer has a hinge at the bottom.

Glitch
06-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Ugh….

Was excited to see that they finally released this figure….only to discover that GG dropped the ball yet again on something that they had to go out of the way to screw up.

Some things will never change.

princeboomer
08-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Ugh….

Was excited to see that they finally released this figure….only to discover that GG dropped the ball yet again on something that they had to go out of the way to screw up.

Some things will never change.

Well while at Disney this weekend I took the plunge and bought this figure. The bubble doesn't really bother me but the logo did/does - however I collect mainly the Luke figures in this line ( I do have the Lando and Blue Snaggletooth as well) and with the Annual Passholder discount I got the figure for 80 bucks tax and all. Of course the nature of the Luke X-Wing Pilot version making the cost more than I am willing to pay means I will never have a full set but this is a little closer to it I guess.