PDA

View Full Version : Playset ideas

GNT
01-17-2016, 07:18 PM
If Hasbro was suddenly interested in doing playsets for the TFA line, what would you be interested in seeing made?

Utinniii
01-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Maz' Place,
Modular Star destroyer/Star Killer Base, torture/prison, hallways, docking bay. Each piece comes with a unique droid.
I wouldn't mind the 3 packs with a background picture that when joined with other sets could make a large diorama (Jakku market, Starkiller base...

PhasmaIsTheBomb
01-17-2016, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see some sort of scavenger playset. Some kind of interior where Rey can drop in on a rope.

Or the crashed AT-AT that she lives in. Or even just the foot sticking out of the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hallway from the freighter where the Rathtars get lose.

DarkManX
01-17-2016, 07:30 PM
BA Kylo Ren shuttle that can fold out into a Starkiller base/trench.

Starkiller mountain fortress

FO Stormtrooper transport. Can fold out into a base

Utinniii
01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
A "Build a Rathtar" would be fun. 3 sets: one for each group in the Mexican Standoff.

DarkManX
01-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Resistance Base with cannons,med bay, briefing room, and x wing loading dock.

tauntaunweequay
01-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Niima Outpost!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/KSC2-303/83928976-E6E6-47C5-A380-F8DD4AE8A1DD.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KSC2-303/media/83928976-E6E6-47C5-A380-F8DD4AE8A1DD.jpg.html)

Imagine something like this that opened up into 2 semi-circle sections that revealed the play area inside. It would feature Plutt's window, salvage cleaning stations, and a bunch of alcoves. Throw in some large salvage pieces and a couple of exclusive scavengers and we got ourselves a great playset with unlimited display options.

This piece should be included as well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/KSC2-303/6E67CC1F-0A4E-4843-9FB0-8FDBB7418432.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KSC2-303/media/6E67CC1F-0A4E-4843-9FB0-8FDBB7418432.jpg.html)

xfamousnicknaro
01-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Hell, I would've been happy if the cardbacks had some sort of printed background on them.

I still don't understand their aversion to playsets. Especially not when Playmates TMNT sets do well. They're certainly happy to load up the shelves with other crap that doesn't move quickly, or at all, though.

jedimasterc
01-17-2016, 08:13 PM
I was looking at the cross section book that Del Rey put out for TFA and was looking the First order Transport. According to the picture in the book the pilot is in a standing position in the cockpit. Which would be great for the 5 POA figures. Also have pegs for a few of the Stormtroopers and a gun station.

BobaAndBossk
01-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Something fun. A Starkiller base playset ala the Vintage Deathstar. Firing cannon of some kind, electronic lights and sounds, interrogation room, the works. Something that would rival the TMNT Secret Sewer playset that sold for years.

Or! A FO Star Destroyer. Same kind of stuff, although it'd be packed into a longer and shorter area. Maybe have it like the Micromachines one, where it's a ship that folds out into a playset. Could have room for a TIE fighter, have the bridge area that the officers are on when Finn/Poe escape.

AaylaSecurasMan
01-17-2016, 08:54 PM
They can barely give us figures. Keep dreaming with playsets.

Rezikai
01-17-2016, 10:08 PM
I'd like to see some sort of scavenger playset. Some kind of interior where Rey can drop in on a rope.

Or the crashed AT-AT that she lives in. Or even just the foot sticking out of the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hallway from the freighter where the Rathtars get lose.

very much this or a Star Destroyer bridge... for the love of all... the last Star Destroyer set we got was a Vintage ESB era... event POTF2 got a DS Chasm and Detention block, Endor bunker and Carbon freezing chamber!

Would like Maz's but it gets toasted so I'd go with the above.

jonwes
01-18-2016, 12:02 AM
I was thinking how nice it'd be to have playsets. But from what I've heard there's no hope of them at all. The just don't sell. The best we can probably hope for are vehicles that sort of become playsets like the Millennium Falcon.

EddieU
01-18-2016, 01:15 AM
I'd be down for any type of TFA playset, but yeah, Hasbro seems stubbornly against them for 3.75"...I'm sure that if asked again at Toy Fair or wherever, they'll just steer people towards the Falcon, or towards the Micro Machine sets.

If they don't want to sink a lot of cash into developing and tooling playsets, fine, but there's really no excuse not to give simple cardboard sets a shot again. They wouldn't even need to be as complex as the POTF2 Cantina and Jabba's Palace were; they ought to take a cue from this:

http://www.finalfrontiertoys.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/i/vintage_kenner_sw_cantina_adventure_playset_front. jpg

...throw one desirable, exclusive-to-the-set figure in, and sell it for $10-15 bucks. It may not be as nice as a Death Star or Ewok Village, but it's better than nothing!

Kind of adjacent to the playsets issue, it's mildly frustrating that they're putting this Kylo Ren Carrying Case out for Micro Machines while they haven't given 3.75" carrying cases a try since 2005 (and even that was just the Vader head brought out from the archives):

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/HSB6007lg.jpg

BobaAndBossk
01-18-2016, 01:17 AM
Ugh! Don't get me started on carrying cases! I've been carting my figures around in a vintage C3PO case! I'd strangle a hasbro executive for a Kylo Ren case

EddieU
01-18-2016, 01:39 AM
Ugh! Don't get me started on carrying cases! I've been carting my figures around in a vintage C3PO case! I'd strangle a hasbro executive for a Kylo Ren case

Yeah, and what's crazy is that carrying cases like that can also operate as insidious stealth marketing for them. Give a Star Wars-loving kid a few figures and a carrying case, and odds are, they'll feel compelled to fill it up.

And while we're talking about fun and simple things Hasbro/Kenner has done in the past and doesn't do anymore, pour one out for the pack-in catalogs! :'(

http://thumbs3.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/291639833174_/VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-TOY-CATALOG-LOT-ESB-ROTJ.jpg

tauntaunweequay
01-18-2016, 09:04 AM
I love cases. If Hasbro puts out a 3 3/4" carrying case, I'll open every figure I have and denounce MOC forever.

Internets
01-18-2016, 09:29 AM
The best playsets are the POTF2 Detention Block and the Endor Attack bunker. They both work as little diorama pieces as well as offering up play value for the kiddies.

Nicklab
01-18-2016, 10:11 AM
In terms of offering something that's got great play features as well as being a visually strong display setting, the pickings do seem to be a little bit slim. But the things that do come to mind?

-Maz's Castle / Takodana Battle - This would include the tavern area, the vault, and maybe some collapsing pieces that would make a setting for the battle between Han, Finn & Chewbacca with the FO Stormtroopers

-Starkiller Base - A catch-all setting with interior and exterior elements that would include:
-Command center
-Detention cell
-Chasm
-Catwalk
-Snowy exterior / lightsaber duel setting

Maverick10126
01-18-2016, 10:16 AM
I have the POTF2 Detention block and I love it.

I'd love to see an updated version for TFA. Make it the room with the interrogation chair. Pack in a Stormtrooper. Throw on some stupid action feature we can ignore. Charge $20 and it'd sell.

Unfortunately they wont do that.

I do think our best bet is a cardboard playset like shown above.

I'd love to see Han's ship in either plastic or cardboard form. Plastic would be cool because you could incorporate an obvious play feature with an opening door and a rathtar to grab some figures and then a pressure door on the other side. If they sold something like that I could see people buying several sets and linking them together. Pack in a Guavian Enforcer.

A cardboard Maz's castle would be great. Like an update of the pop up Cantina set. Not sure who would be the figure pack-in.

Star Destroyer bridge with yet another Kylo Ren packed in would be great. Everyone needs 20 Kylo's. I got my number of Vader's down to 5, it's only right that I'm now overloaded with Kylo.

Are any of these going to happen? Nope, but I do think Hasbro would be wise to look at the small playsets like those POTF2 sets. They didn't cost much to make and all you have to do is throw in a semi-exclusive figure in the set and it'll sell. They love throwing exclusive figures in with their vehicles. Seems like an obvious way to push the playsets.

Masterfett
01-18-2016, 10:57 AM
The best playsets are the POTF2 Detention Block and the Endor Attack bunker. They both work as little diorama pieces as well as offering up play value for the kiddies.

If they brought that style back, instead of cramming a playset into a vehicle. I'd be fine with it. Of course I didn't see anything in TFA that could use that format.

RogueKnite
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Has Hasbro ever given a specific reason why they're so vehemently against playsets?
Other than the general issue of "production costs."

Maverick10126
01-18-2016, 11:23 AM
I thought it was the perception that they don't sell. I do agree larger playsets are a big risk. I think they got a little burned on the Episode 1 playsets and decided to not touch them anymore.

Seemed like the POTF2 playsets sold just fine though. I still want to track down the Endor bunker and Hoth Playset.

AaylaSecurasMan
01-18-2016, 05:55 PM

I agree, and don't forget the Carbon Freezing chamber. Unfortunately we won't see anything like that as long ans Hasbro has the license.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/photo389.JPG

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/medium/Endor5.jpg

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/thumbs/STtop.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/STtop.JPG)

Coreworld
01-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Has Hasbro ever given a specific reason why they're so vehemently against playsets?
Other than the general issue of "production costs."

I think one of the more popular reasons Hasbro has given us is that it forces kids into a specific play pattern, hmm, a Starkiller Base playset which the villains launch strikes from and the heroes have to attack and destroy..nope doesn't sound like any Star Wars scenario I've ever played out as a kid.

BobaAndBossk
01-18-2016, 06:10 PM
I agree, and don't forget the Carbon Freezing chamber. Unfortunately we won't see anything like that as long ans Hasbro has the license.

But Hasbro made that playset???

Masterfett
01-18-2016, 06:12 PM
I thought it was the perception that they don't sell. I do agree larger playsets are a big risk. I think they got a little burned on the Episode 1 playsets and decided to not touch them anymore.
I agree, Volcanic mountains probably aren't best indicator for popularity. So essentially they use pigeonhole'd data as an excuse across the board. :rolleyes:

You know, for some reason I'm still waiting on that darn Forward Command Base from EP2. But I do understand that kids just aren't into the same play patters they once were.

tauntaunweequay
01-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Although it was impressive, I'll concede that something like the Geonosis Arena is probably overkill at this stage of the game, but something like the Endor bunker and Dention Block would be the sweet spot, IMO. All Hasbro really has to do to assure it sells is keep it small and include an exclusive figure. It works with all the vehicles they put out that no one truly wants!

TK114
01-18-2016, 07:04 PM
I just want to see them make some boarding ladders for the starfighters, especially the TIE. How is the pilot supposed to get in and out of that thing when its parked on the ground?

RogueKnite
01-18-2016, 07:32 PM
What was the last *genuine* playset Hasbro made for Star Wars? Mustafar?

AaylaSecurasMan
01-18-2016, 08:21 PM
What was the last *genuine* playset Hasbro made for Star Wars? Mustafar?

Lars homestead back in 2008

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/thumbs/MaulTatoo.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/MaulTatoo.JPG)

Maverick10126
01-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Great set. I picked it up on Craig's list with a bunch of figures for $40 total. After I sold off what I didn't want I think I ended up spending $20 on it. One thing I don't have is the vaporator though.

RogueKnite
01-18-2016, 09:21 PM

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/thumbs/MaulTatoo.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2545/MaulTatoo.JPG)

I've never seen that before, thanks for sharing!

But can we *really* constitute that as a playset? More like a glorified diorama.

AaylaSecurasMan
01-18-2016, 09:58 PM
I've never seen that before, thanks for sharing!

But can we *really* constitute that as a playset? More like a glorified diorama.

Well, they categorized it as a battle pack

Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBPLarsHomestead.asp)

Sith_Dreamer
01-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Well, they categorized it as a battle pack

Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBPLarsHomestead.asp)

Less of a battle pack than the massacre at the beginning of TFA. Least those people probably fought back.

Masterfett
01-19-2016, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't call that a playset, you couldn't even fir one figure in there! :rolleyes:
Talk about a missed opportunity!

Though I'll admit that I was torn on getting it, but the TRU price at the time was offensive for what it was.

How is the pilot supposed to get in and out of that thing when its parked on the ground?
Haven't you seen hoe TIEs are docked? That is why you'll never see a ladder. lol

However, it doesn't explain why you don't see one with every X-Wing. :\

TK114
01-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Haven't you seen hoe TIEs are docked? That is why you'll never see a ladder. lol

However, it doesn't explain why you don't see one with every X-Wing. :\

I was talking about the First Order TIEs, they seem to park on the ground more often rather than hanging from racks.

DarkArtist
01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
I'd be all for a Jakku playset (they could even use the old Kenner Land of the Jawas set with a new cardboard backdrop) and maybe add a plastic detachable archway and include the booth for Unkar Plutt.

keknivek
01-20-2016, 02:44 PM
There are little to no playset options for TFA really. I can't see a playset based on a snowy forest, a desert, or a fairly nonescript ship. If they can't create a playset for the Death Star which is VERY prominent in the original, they aren't creating one for Starkiller base.

Hasbro will say 'play patterns' blah blah blah, but the reality is they don't want to. The playsets they've come up with most recently didn't make any sense. Mustafar had giant meatballs and no where to actually play on that set. Geonosis was a backdrop. The Lars Homestead was awesome as an iconic piece to display with your figures, but was not a playset. The sets they came out with for Episode I looked nothing like the actual sets AND had play features that weren't any fun.

If you look at the Ninja Turtle playsets, you see a playset that has a ton of stuff to mess with and it looks like the cartoon. Star Wars simply needs to create something fun that also appeals to the collector.

DarkArtist
01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
another playset that Hasbro could re-issue is the Vintage Kenner Imperial Attack Base and rename it Starkiller base. it's works well as a functioning base for the FO troopers. With a major snowstorm on the way to NJ from Saturday into Sunday I'm getting ready to play with all my FO Troops, the base, snowspeeder and TFA Falcon in the snow. can't wait.

Maverick10126
01-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Good points, when I think of what could be turned into a playset for this line I keep hearing Mark Hamill's lines from the CC footage.

"Real sets, practical effects..."

I think that sums up a lot of TFA and it's locations.

Jakku didn't have near the iconic locations that Tatooine had. Sure you could have the AT-AT home...or you could just take your already existing AT-AT and tip it on it's side.

The outpost wasn't much to look at. Various tents and stands don't make for much of a playset (watch they release all of Jakku now).

Once they get off Jakku, the first new location does have playset value. Han's ship. I know how I'd make it, hallways that connect so you could build endless corridors. They wont make that. They wont feel like there's enough of an iconic look or classic scenes to recreate. The more I think about it, the more I agree.

Next they go to Maz's castle. This is one place I could see them doing something with. They have the Cantina quality going on inside. They could have a ruins look on the outside complete with exploding walls to knock Stormtroopers off their feet. It has potential but only if you build it up bigger than the small POTF2 playsets. I don't see them committing to anything big enough to do it justice. Cardboard interior set maybe...

A lot of the other locations are very "boring" in the movie. As noted above you can't exactly sell the woods, or a snowy terrain.

Starkiller base is the best hope, but how do you do it? Do you make it large like the vintage Death Star playset? What do you include. It didn't exactly have the same iconic scenes that ANH had regarding the Death Star. There was the swing across, the trash compactor, the detention block area. What are the scenes in TFA that you could include. The verbal confrontation on the catwalk? It's just not as recognizable.

The more I think about it, the more I'd settle for a cardboard Maz's and consider myself lucky.

TFA just went to so many different places yet none of them stood out in a way that Yoda's hut, or the Lar's homestead does.

DarkArtist
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Good points, when I think of what could be turned into a playset for this line I keep hearing Mark Hamill's lines from the CC footage.

"Real sets, practical effects..."

I think that sums up a lot of TFA and it's locations.

Jakku didn't have near the iconic locations that Tatooine had. Sure you could have the AT-AT home...or you could just take your already existing AT-AT and tip it on it's side.

The outpost wasn't much to look at. Various tents and stands don't make for much of a playset (watch they release all of Jakku now).

Once they get off Jakku, the first new location does have playset value. Han's ship. I know how I'd make it, hallways that connect so you could build endless corridors. They wont make that. They wont feel like there's enough of an iconic look or classic scenes to recreate. The more I think about it, the more I agree.

Next they go to Maz's castle. This is one place I could see them doing something with. They have the Cantina quality going on inside. They could have a ruins look on the outside complete with exploding walls to knock Stormtroopers off their feet. It has potential but only if you build it up bigger than the small POTF2 playsets. I don't see them committing to anything big enough to do it justice. Cardboard interior set maybe...

A lot of the other locations are very "boring" in the movie. As noted above you can't exactly sell the woods, or a snowy terrain.

Starkiller base is the best hope, but how do you do it? Do you make it large like the vintage Death Star playset? What do you include. It didn't exactly have the same iconic scenes that ANH had regarding the Death Star. There was the swing across, the trash compactor, the detention block area. What are the scenes in TFA that you could include. The verbal confrontation on the catwalk? It's just not as recognizable.

The more I think about it, the more I'd settle for a cardboard Maz's and consider myself lucky.

TFA just went to so many different places yet none of them stood out in a way that Yoda's hut, or the Lar's homestead does.

but the idea of a playset is for fun. sure we all want that awesome Modular ultra large Death Star playset that has every possible room as seen in both ANH and ROTJ but I don't think it will ever happen. if they were to give us Starkiller base (which can be done) they could use various Kenner playsets like the Hoth Rebel Base, Imperial Attack base and even the vintage Death Star to create a new looking style playset.

for Starkiller base I'd go with the Imperial Attack base as an outside style base and add onto it a cardboard (yes cardboard / pegboard) backdrop that could have a duel sided image. one side could be the forest scene (where Ren fights Finn and Rey) and the other side could have a large printing of the inside of the base. using that model... if they were to use parts of the Death Star playset (control room, catwalk) they could give us the Kylo/Han scene as well as the just a regular looking FO Control room for Hux and stormtroopers. building on that you could have other playsets added to it to give us a decent representation of Starkiller base ( add a section for the brig / interrogation chair), perhaps instead of a large canon feature like in the original Death Star playset give us another peg board/ cardboard backdrop that shows the starkiller weapon and as far as play features make it have a firing canon feature.

Teedo
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
Not that I think these would ever get made, but an exterior Starkiller Base playset would be cool. It could have the stage that Hux and Phasma were on during the speech/firing the weapon, and you could line up ranks of troops and TIEs. Other ideas could be the interrogation room (either the one w/Poe on the Star Destroyer, or on Starkiller Base w/Rey), Ren's private chamber with Vader's burnt helmet, and the "conference room" with hologram Snoke.

EddieU
01-20-2016, 04:31 PM
It seems seriously unlikely that something like this would be released for $15 or less in this era, but it's too bad that Hasbro couldn't come up with something like a couple of the Deluxe sets from the 2008 Indy line (http://cooltoyreview.com/Hasbro_IJ_DLXTemplePitfall.asp) that had "environment" pieces. They were gimmicky display pieces more than "playsets", but they had potential.

Teedo
01-20-2016, 04:43 PM
^Yeah, I had the Indy set where when you picked up the fertility idol, the spiked floor sprung up and chomped your hand. Not exactly film accurate, but a fun display piece.

DarthPete
01-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Back when Hasbro was still doing the Q&A I submitted a question that didn't make it to being asked, if they considered that the playsets they had released to that point, TPM theed rooms, Geonosian arena, and Mustafar perhaps didn't sell well because they were rather lackluster or poorly designed. I mean TPM sets were rickety (and what real excitement or play value as they like to refer to did the interior of the Queens ship offer? Discussion space?), Mustafar was just...awful, the only decent one was the AOTC set which as someone pointed out already was more of a backdrop than anything else.

Then they released the Sarlacc and Lars homestead 'battle packs' which someone asked if there was plans for more and they said no as they didn't sell as well as they had wanted. Seriously? Didn't sell well? The poorly painted repacked 10+ year old figures packed with one display piece and a cheap vac-molded base didn't sell well for $50? You don't say...

It's baffling to me. Because we've gotten quite a few 'big' vehicles that have significant playset features, if not are playsets in their own right. But part of that is the vehicle becomes quite big and by extension expensive. In an alternate universe if they had released just the interiors of the BMF for example, as a Falcon playset I think it's safe to say collectors would've snatched them up all over the place at $50, they would've required less shelf space, and would've been more in the realm of "acceptable cost and size" for parents. Thus not (as) likely to get clearanced out.

I don't know, it's just frustrating.

As far as TFA goes, as much as I'd like to see playsets for Maz's castle, resistance HQ, Jakku, the finalizer; the best chance would be for a Starkiller base. And I doubt it will happen. Someone had posted some pics of their vintage Death Star playset with TFA figs and it did work quite well. They could do something similar to that and I'd be happy, and if it's aesthetically similar it would have great nostalgia value (fitting in with releasing the Falcon, Tie, and X-wing like the original ANH releases). You've got a cat walk, trap door, walls to climb, pillars to place charges on, a (not seen) trash compactor... put it on one of the aforementioned cheap vac molded bases with a platform for hux and a few trees for a lightsaber duel and you've got a sold winner in my book!

Coreworld
01-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Back when Hasbro was still doing the Q&A I submitted a question that didn't make it to being asked, if they considered that the playsets they had released to that point, TPM theed rooms, Geonosian arena, and Mustafar perhaps didn't sell well because they were rather lackluster or poorly designed. I mean TPM sets were rickety (and what real excitement or play value as they like to refer to did the interior of the Queens ship offer? Discussion space?), Mustafar was just...awful, the only decent one was the AOTC set which as someone pointed out already was more of a backdrop than anything else.

Then they released the Sarlacc and Lars homestead 'battle packs' which someone asked if there was plans for more and they said no as they didn't sell as well as they had wanted. Seriously? Didn't sell well? The poorly painted repacked 10+ year old figures packed with one display piece and a cheap vac-molded base didn't sell well for $50? You don't say...

It's baffling to me. Because we've gotten quite a few 'big' vehicles that have significant playset features, if not are playsets in their own right. But part of that is the vehicle becomes quite big and by extension expensive. In an alternate universe if they had released just the interiors of the BMF for example, as a Falcon playset I think it's safe to say collectors would've snatched them up all over the place at $50, they would've required less shelf space, and would've been more in the realm of "acceptable cost and size" for parents. Thus not (as) likely to get clearanced out.

I don't know, it's just frustrating.

As far as TFA goes, as much as I'd like to see playsets for Maz's castle, resistance HQ, Jakku, the finalizer; the best chance would be for a Starkiller base. And I doubt it will happen. Someone had posted some pics of their vintage Death Star playset with TFA figs and it did work quite well. They could do something similar to that and I'd be happy, and if it's aesthetically similar it would have great nostalgia value (fitting in with releasing the Falcon, Tie, and X-wing like the original ANH releases). You've got a cat walk, trap door, walls to climb, pillars to place charges on, a (not seen) trash compactor... put it on one of the aforementioned cheap vac molded bases with a platform for hux and a few trees for a lightsaber duel and you've got a sold winner in my book!

Totally agree DarthPete! I find Hasbro's arguments that kids don't like set play patterns that a playset presents them with doesn't ring true, my nephew had the vintage Dagobah playset when we were kids he would bring it around and not only would it become Dagobah, but also many mysterious alien planets which would start off a fresh adventure, we had a ton of fun with that thing and was much loved, so much so that I made sure I got it when I began recollecting in the early 2000's, it is now pride of place in a diorama setup. An idea I had a while ago was to introduce 'Enviroment packs', which would have a boxed themed setting I.e Rebel Base with a few of those view screens, some generators and a pack in Rebel techie figure, kids could then go onto build there own bases and outfit them with these packs. I know as a collector I would've bought a load of these things for my dioramas, seems like a bit of a missed trick on Hasbros part. I await eagerly to see what toyfair reveals, but as far as playsets go, I'm not Ho,ding my breath.

DarthRavenger
01-25-2016, 09:42 PM
There are little to no playset options for TFA really. I can't see a playset based on a snowy forest, a desert, or a fairly nonescript ship. If they can't create a playset for the Death Star which is VERY prominent in the original, they aren't creating one for Starkiller base.

Hasbro will say 'play patterns' blah blah blah, but the reality is they don't want to. The playsets they've come up with most recently didn't make any sense. Mustafar had giant meatballs and no where to actually play on that set. Geonosis was a backdrop. The Lars Homestead was awesome as an iconic piece to display with your figures, but was not a playset. The sets they came out with for Episode I looked nothing like the actual sets AND had play features that weren't any fun.

If you look at the Ninja Turtle playsets, you see a playset that has a ton of stuff to mess with and it looks like the cartoon. Star Wars simply needs to create something fun that also appeals to the collector.

Hasbro is sad. They use their convenient excuses like well if there's a movie. Guess what? We have a new movie and we haven't heard a peep about a playset.
Maz' Castle would be the best option for me because one part of it could be the dining section and then on the outside you could have the drawbridge like entrance and battle area
with trees and debris for your stormtroopers.

Lak_Sivrak
01-25-2016, 10:15 PM
I'd be down to see a Maz's castle that could "transform" (more or less) between the inside cantina scene and the outside battle scene. Or maybe it could just be separated by a wall; one side is the cantina, the other is the battle. Two dio's in one.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 12:31 AM
With exploding walls as an action feature.

Lak_Sivrak
01-26-2016, 01:00 AM
And PLEASE include a Maz figure. Only seems right.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 08:52 AM
I'd be down to see a Maz's castle that could "transform" (more or less) between the inside cantina scene and the outside battle scene. Or maybe it could just be separated by a wall; one side is the cantina, the other is the battle. Two dio's in one.

they could accomplish something along these lines. make the Cantina side similar to the classic Kenner Cantina from the 70's/80's (just larger or again use something similar to the Cardboard Cantina from the 90's) and then the other side could be a basic cardboard background of the battlefield and have the exploding walls feature attached to the sides.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
I'd prefer a Maz on single card. I'm hoping she'll be a toy fair reveal.

As for her castle, pack in a Stormtrooper. Maybe TR-8R as the pack in.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 10:02 AM
I'd rather have both Maz and TR-8R on single cards and make the Stormtrooper have the activated baton accessory. knowing Hasbro they pack in Finn with a Takadona playset.

VideoViper
01-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Well for 7, seems like they learned a lesson from episode 1. The 5 POV figures are cheap to make & it seems like they had a lot of rules for what they could & could not release.

So I understand no playsets this time around. Although their latest attempt at a Falcon is basically making it into a playset.

Now that Hasbro knows the toys will sell, ep8 could bring us better playsets/toys.

As I said in the past, Id like to see build an enviroment playset. Rooms that hook togeather to form larger bases & could be compatible with other Hasbro brands. (Death Star that could be a cobra base?)

It could be as simple as a box frame with cardboard inserts.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Well for 7, seems like they learned a lesson from episode 1. The 5 POV figures are cheap to make & it seems like they had a lot of rules for what they could & could not release.

So I understand no playsets this time around. Although their latest attempt at a Falcon is basically making it into a playset.

Now that Hasbro knows the toys will sell, ep8 could bring us better playsets/toys.

As I said in the past, Id like to see build an enviroment playset. Rooms that hook togeather to form larger bases & could be compatible with other Hasbro brands. (Death Star that could be a cobra base?)

It could be as simple as a box frame with cardboard inserts.

while these would be a dream come true it still falls into the endless pipedream of fans. Hasbro has stated that they don't make playsets anymore cause they don't sell. in order for the fans to get playsets we have to either buy up all the older playsets from place like eBay or create our own.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 10:18 AM
That being said, what older playsets could be updated or repurposed for TFA? We already saw how the vintage death star worked pretty well. It could obviously use some new cardboard inserts but it's passable.

What else?

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 10:43 AM
That being said, what older playsets could be updated or repurposed for TFA? We already saw how the vintage death star worked pretty well. It could obviously use some new cardboard inserts but it's passable.

What else?

hard to say but yes either the plastic Kenner Death Star or better yet the Palitoy Cardboard Death Star with a few updates would make for a great Starkiller Base. I think the old Kenner Imperial Attack Base and AT-AT cardboard base could also work for Starkiller bases. you could even repurpose the old Kenner POTF Endor Bunker as well for an opening at Starkiller Base.

you might be able to re-purpose the old Land of the Jawas set for Jakku (I'm sure Jawas and SandCrawlers still exist) just change the old Sandcrawler backdrop to perhaps a Unkar Plutt hut or the archway, and add a few mini tarp/tent areas to it.

the Kenner POTF Cantina or Jabba's Palace can be redone for Maz's Cantina (with new graphics etc)

Bluebirdjones
01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
As DarkArtist say's,you have the Imperial Attack Base for snow scene's or Rebel Command Center,Hoth Ice Planet,Turret & Probot playsets.

I have the Palitoy Death Star Playset,you need to have an IQ of over 150 to put it together but its an awesome playset,when its put together,its as round as the Kenner Death Star is tall,its a beast.lol

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/CardboardDSplayset.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/CardboardDSplayset.jpg)

I found this looking for playset photos awhile back,of a Jabba's palace throne room from Italy (never released or much info about it) but i thought it would of made a good back drop for Maz Kanata's Castle if it was available.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/italian_jabba_display-.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/italian_jabba_display-.jpg)

Lak_Sivrak
01-26-2016, 11:22 AM
As DarkArtist say's,you have the Imperial Attack Base for snow scene's or Rebel Command Center,Hoth Ice Planet,Turret & Probot playsets.

I have the Palitoy Death Star Playset,you need to have an IQ of over 150 to put it together but its an awesome playset,when its put together,its as round as the Kenner Death Star is tall,its a beast.lol

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/CardboardDSplayset.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/CardboardDSplayset.jpg)

I found this looking for playset photos awhile back,of a Jabba's palace throne room from Italy (never released or much info about it) but i thought it would of made a good back drop for Maz Kanata's Castle if it was available.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/italian_jabba_display-.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/italian_jabba_display-.jpg)
1. I need that Palitoy DS Playset
2. Why was that Jabba playset never released?! It looks great!

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I love my Palitoy Death Star. it's just an awesome set. took me about an hour to build it but it's definitely worth it.

Bluebirdjones
01-26-2016, 12:09 PM
I love my Palitoy Death Star. it's just an awesome set. took me about an hour to build it but it's definitely worth it.

Yeah not only is it tricky to put together,you need to be gentle with it at the same time,40 year old cardboard is a ******* to play around with when your trying to push plastic peg connectors into it,without tearing it. lol i can't afford to buy it again in the condition i have it (or i don't want to buy it again tbh) so i treat it carefully when i pull it out.

My Death Star Space Station is cool,but last time i got it out,my trash compactor foam was starting to dry out and crumble.

On that Jabba's palace playset,here's the write up that goes with that photo,no real reason or explanation why it wasn't made,plus a photo of the other rare Tie fighter Special Offer "Battle Scene Playset"

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/Battle_ground_playset.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/Battle_ground_playset.jpg)

"There are still two rare pieces that deserve to be mentioned. The first one is the “special offer” background, packed with rare versions of Darth Vader’s TIE Fighters and Slave I toys. This cardboard backdrop features a Death Star playground with a landing platform, a view on the equatorial trench and on several hangars. Even more scarce is a background that was never available at retail. It’s a large and beautiful rendition of Jabba’s Throne Room, used in Italy as a store display. Little is known about this item, which would have been fairly easy to produce by Kenner. What a great playset that would have been.

P.S.: Kenner’s Jabba the Hutt is also officially designated on its box as a playset, but a dungeon like throne can hardly be called a playset, so Jabba and Salacious weren’t included in this blog. This set should be considered a figural accessory, just like the Max Rebo Band.

Lak_Sivrak
01-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Yeah, if I could afford a Palitoy Death Star (or even the Space Station), I would've had it years ago. It's sad that even used vintage toys command the price that they do just because they carry the "vintage" name and stigma. I would understand that a boxed DS playset would go for hundreds of dollars, but a moderately used/played with one? I'd pay good money for one, but not ridiculous money.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
I need to fix my vintage DS playset. All the stickers have fallen off from being in storage. I need to put some replacements on there. One of my support struts is broken as well.

It does go for crazy prices, it's sad. It's a really nice set.

I got lucky. I snagged mine around 1990 from a guy who was trying to get some money for college. He was selling off a ton of his collection. I got the death star, the Rancor, an X-wing, ESB figure case and a few figures for about $120. What sucks is I could have picked up more. I was only planning on getting the Rancor, the x-wing and some figures so I only brought $60 with me. My mom had some cash on her luckily but I had another $100 or so at home. He was selling things for such a good price I could have picked up a ton of stuff. My friend had $300 to play with and he got a nice haul.

I should mention that I was only 8 so my stupidity is somewhat excusable.

Teedo
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Death by Toys: DIY: Vintage Star Wars Mini-Dioramas (http://www.deathbytoys.com/2016/01/diy-vintage-star-wars-mini-dioramas.html#more)

This guy made some really cool displays/mini dioramas and has printable backgrounds and instructions. He uses vintage figures, but I think this could work with TFA figures since they have that Kenner vibe.

HunterIG
01-26-2016, 01:10 PM
If Hasbro can retool vintage stuff for 7 then they really should. A big part of 7 is how it harkens back to the original. Although I guess there's nothing stopping us from using vintage stuff anyway.

I need some Maz aliens for my cantina.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Couldn't you print out the Palitoy death star pieces, glue them to cardboard and kind of assemble your own Palitoy death star playset?

I know the backgrounds are all available at Erik Stormtrooper's Imperial Gallery. That's where I plan on getting my replacement stickers from.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Erikstormtrooper's Imperial Gallery: Cards, Stickers, & Backgrounds (http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/backgrnd.htm)

There's some good stuff there.... Someone needs to get on making some TFA backgrounds.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
all this talk about playsets is making me get out all of my old Kenner ones. Just pulled out my vintage Kenner Hoth Rebel Base set and Imperial Attack bases. still looking for my Land of the Jawas, Hoth AT-AT base and my Sears Cantina. I might even have to dig up my Ewok Villages (I have 2) and my Kenner Death Stars (have 2)

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 02:26 PM
You should turn one of those DS playsets into a ROTJ themed death star. Swap out the cardboard inserts for DS2 ones.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 03:06 PM
You should turn one of those DS playsets into a ROTJ themed death star. Swap out the cardboard inserts for DS2 ones.

I was actually thinking about doing something along those lines and using the old cinema scene Jedi duel throne and backdrop for one of the levels.

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 03:21 PM
There's a modified version of that background on Erik Stormtrooper's page. It has the full window. It doesn't cut it off like the cinema scene background.

DarkArtist
01-26-2016, 03:38 PM
There's a modified version of that background on Erik Stormtrooper's page. It has the full window. It doesn't cut it off like the cinema scene background.

I'll have to check that out. I'm just wondering to use in place of the garbage masher...maybe an officer's area or try and make a background that shows the docking bay?

Maverick10126
01-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I could never figure out that personally. A docking bay isn't a bad idea.

Now I want to bust out that thing. I haven't played with it in years....hmmm, maybe I'll have time.

DarthPete
01-26-2016, 03:48 PM
The window from the POTF2 electronic Emperor fits in the vintage Death Star's outter wall just about perfectly height-wise if I'm remembering correctly. I toyed around with the same thing a few years ago.

Utinniii
01-26-2016, 07:24 PM
My brother printed out the Sandcrawler for me years ago from Erik's site. He said the sizes didn't match up and he had to tweak them. I'm not sure if it was just his printer though. Check before you print!

Even though I have an original, I still display the printout version since it is not dinged up. I also used foamboard instead of cardboard so it is sturdy.

Utinniii
01-26-2016, 07:28 PM
His site says not to print from browser or it won't turn out correct!

DarkArtist
01-28-2016, 08:49 AM
dug out all of my old Kenner style playsets from the 80s. unpacked the Hoth Rebel Command Center, 2 Imperial Attack Bases, Land of the Jawas, Droid Factory (only missing 1 connector piece), Sears Cantina (with figures :) ), Cantina, Sears Bespin Freeze Chamber (missing 2 foot pegs). seems the only one I can't locate at the moment is my old Hoth AT-AT base set. I'm sure it's in a box somewhere in storage. can't wait to use some of these for TFA displays.

I'm thinking if I do find the AT-AT playset it might make for a cool Starkiller base background since we do see a newer designed AT-AT in the speech scene.

I'm now in the process of looking for my Kenner POTF Endor bunker playset as well as this will make a great set to use as the opening to starkiller base.

Teedo
01-28-2016, 11:33 AM
I think a downed AT-AT would work great for Rey's house/Jakku playset (that comes with a Luggabeast as well).

DarkArtist
01-28-2016, 11:37 AM
I have an old Kenner AT-AT in bad shape at the moment so I might try to set something up along those lines in the spring using my kids sandbox as Jakku. I want to try and customize one of my X-Wing Pilot helmets to look more like the one in the film. I know someone on here I believe made a custom Luggabeast using I believe the SE Dewback and pieces from the Rebels At-PT walker.

I wish Hasbro would give us a Luggabeast with Teedo. that would be awesome.

HunterIG
01-28-2016, 01:10 PM
It never occurred to me to use old Kenner junk for the Jakku battle graveyard. Great idea.

DarthPete
01-28-2016, 01:51 PM
I know someone on here I believe made a custom Luggabeast using I believe the SE Dewback and pieces from the Rebels At-PT walker.

Do you have a link to this? I'd love to see it..

EddieU
01-28-2016, 02:00 PM
It never occurred to me to use old Kenner junk for the Jakku battle graveyard. Great idea.

Old Kenner/Hasbro OT stuff works like a charm!

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r716/EddieUtrata/Star%20Wars-%20The%20Force%20Awakens%20toys/100_8443_zpsnpqjtrvk.jpg

Maverick10126
02-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Not exactly a playset idea, but I'm finding some use in the old cinema scene bases.

Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIcstatshowdown.asp)

This one works great for Rey and BB-8.

DagMarus
02-01-2016, 05:46 PM
I think a downed AT-AT would work great for Rey's house/Jakku playset (that comes with a Luggabeast as well). I'm piecing one together off of parts on youtube for my Rey's Home diorama. Can't wait to REALLY get started on it.

DagMarus
02-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Ugh...make that Ebay.

forcedead
02-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Ive been buying old POTF (Power of the Force) and Kenner parts from broken toys. THey make good backdrop. Plus, if there is ever a "EA BattleFront" line of toys, it works. Plus, I gather they will work for Rogue One. Old SW toys fit into the dirty, used universe of TFA. For example, I got a broken xwing (without turret/canopy) for $6. It was handy for battle damage graveyard scenes. Also, I'm getting a few of the Darth Vader POTF gunner stations for crashed Tie Fighters scenes...

Some picture ideas.. I'm putting the Endor station playset to very good use. Now, I am looking for a broken AT AT Walker.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_13565.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_13565.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/FullSizeRender_25.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/FullSizeRender_25.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_12996.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_12996.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_02729.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_02729.JPG)

DarkArtist
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Ive been buying old POTF (Power of the Force) and Kenner parts from broken toys. THey make good backdrop. Plus, if there is ever a "EA BattleFront" line of toys, it works. Plus, I gather they will work for Rogue One. Old SW toys fit into the dirty, used universe of TFA. For example, I got a broken xwing (without turret/canopy) for $6. It was handy for battle damage graveyard scenes. Also, I'm getting a few of the Darth Vader POTF gunner stations for crashed Tie Fighters scenes...

Some picture ideas.. I'm putting the Endor station playset to very good use. Now, I am looking for a broken AT AT Walker.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_13565.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_13565.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/FullSizeRender_25.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/FullSizeRender_25.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_12996.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_12996.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_02729.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_02729.JPG)

Great Stuff. I love using various Kenner vehicles and playsets for dioramas. check eBay for the AT-AT (usually someone is always trying to sell a broken one there for a fair price)

DarkManX
02-04-2016, 08:56 PM
supposedly some new AT-AT coming out. Wouldn't mind seeing that transform into a base ala Metroplex or Trypticon

DarkManX
02-04-2016, 08:59 PM
maybe put out a line of mini rig style vehicles that each come with a part for a bunker or mini command center.

DarkArtist
02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SAA46Tu.jpg (http://imgur.com/SAA46Tu)

I posted this under the picture thread but I wanted to show how cool the classic Kenner sets work with the TFA figures. The Imperial Attack Base makes a great Starkiller Base outpost or something.

saddestmoon
02-15-2016, 09:29 PM
^^^ that is awesome!!!! :D

forcedead
02-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Here is the "Theed Power Generator Playset" from the Phantom Menace. I got this and the hangar. I'll repaint the yellow bits of the hangar grey and make it into a star killer base interior... Great eBay score..

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/12717142_1028869840506438_300461577_n.jpg

DarthPete
02-19-2016, 10:44 AM
That's a good idea with the theed generator for the catwalk.

sith_rising
02-19-2016, 12:54 PM
I could go for a Kylo/Hux/Snoke "conference room" with a standing platform, a big 12" seated Snoke (transparent-like plastic), lights and sounds. I always wanted an authentic Vader meditation chamber with a big emperor hologram.

DarkArtist
02-22-2016, 11:15 AM
I could go for a Kylo/Hux/Snoke "conference room" with a standing platform, a big 12" seated Snoke (transparent-like plastic), lights and sounds. I always wanted an authentic Vader meditation chamber with a big emperor hologram.

you can kinda pull this off by mixing the Vintage Kenner Star Destroyer playset (remove the meditation chamber from the set) and the SDCC Hologram Emperor set. just build up the surrounding area and there you go.

Masterfett
02-22-2016, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Cantina sets, mostly! I also wouldn't mind some of the Control podiums from the DS. I'd also be interested if they pulled some of teh older ones out of mothballs, like teh Hoth one and Endor Bunker.
But I really have no need for cockpit type of sets. I already have the Falcon, Jango's Big Slave1, so I'm set if I want to display them inside a ship.

DarkArtist
02-23-2016, 09:46 AM
I'd be all for a modular style Build a Cantina similar to the old Cantina 3 packs and Cantina sections. they could even repack those bar pieces and tables, make new versions of Han and Greedo and other aliens (so we can get booths / alcoves etc) and give us an updated new Wuher (with drink dispenser), update the Model Nodes with more articulation and they could each come with their respective instruments and a piece of a stage (maybe with electronics to play the 2 versions of the Cantina Band), give us a new Tatoonie Luke with entrance alcove and droid scanner and it's a good way to repack the Doc E and Ponda Baba.