PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant Jumbo Villians 3 pack

JediMarty
03-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Looks like GG has put up a Villians Jumbo 3 Pack for preorder. It includes Vader, DS Commander and a Stormtrooper. Its $199.99

Star Wars Villain 3 Pack Jumbo Figures - Large Scale Retro Figure - Star Wars - Collectibles The 3D Studio (http://www.the3dstudio.com/collectibles/star-wars/large-scale-retro-figure/star-wars-villain-3-pack-jumbo-figures)

Hoth_My_Fav
03-18-2015, 03:24 PM
I like it but would have preferred another 3 pack instead... still, its nice...

AaylaSecurasMan
03-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I would rather see a Vader single card re-release

TheLobot
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Pretty decently lame. Should have been Vader, the Emperor, and an Imperial Dignitary

wookncrook
03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
I think it's a decent way to get Vader and the stormtrooper out there again at a decent price for those like me who were late to the Jumbo Vintage party.

DarthMickeyMoose
03-18-2015, 08:35 PM
The first one sold horrible and went on sale Just months later at GG. Then it was dumped for even cheaper at EE and other sites. And they think another 3 pack is a good idea?

Glitch
03-18-2015, 08:53 PM
I would rather see a Vader single card re-release

…and at the proper scale. :wtf:

Seriously…why? Why would they make another one of these sets? Wasn't the last one on clearance pretty much everywhere?

TheGoodDr
03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Pretty decently lame. Should have been Vader, the Emperor, and an Imperial Dignitary

.....THIS!

AaylaSecurasMan
03-18-2015, 10:23 PM

.....THIS!

While I agree, you do know that they are staying true to the original 3 packs right?

TheLobot
03-19-2015, 01:59 AM
While I agree, you do know that they are staying true to the original 3 packs right?

But other things (scale, cardbacks, colors) have also changed, so I don't see any reason why this couldn't change as well. I like this line, but I'm only getting the ones that really interest me (I only own Blue Snaggletooth and the POTF Yak Face). I think it's cool how they stayed true with the tri-logo Yak Face, and will probably pick that up as well. Would really like to see more POTF though

Kevin_Lentz
03-19-2015, 10:16 AM

I'd interested in seeing GG do a jumbo version of one of the unproduced ROTJ 3-pack special offer sets.

Rebel Set: Ackbar, Leia Boushh, Chief Chirpa
Imperial Set: Biker Scout, Royal Guard, Bib Fortuna

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1057063/

This villain set is a pass for me; I might be tempted if they ever do the Android set.

Faker
03-19-2015, 10:57 AM
I think it's a decent way to get Vader and the stormtrooper out there again at a decent price for those like me who were late to the Jumbo Vintage party.

That would be me too. Vader was the one high priced figure I needed to track down. Now I can get him for less and with 2 additional figures. I already have the Crazy Toys Stormtrooper KO but I won't mind having the official GG version.

The first one sold horrible and went on sale Just months later at GG. Then it was dumped for even cheaper at EE and other sites. And they think another 3 pack is a good idea?

Seriously;why? Why would they make another one of these sets? Wasn't the last one on clearance pretty much everywhere?
The last set wasn't comprised of popular characters. I suspect that this is an attempt to get more people collecting the line. Giving people another shot at getting Darth Vader and Stormtrooper is a good way to draw in new collectors. If this set does well maybe they might release the Han, Leia, Obi Wan pack and the C3-PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca pack. Then they could release a single carded brown hair farmboy Luke. I think that would go a long way to get some new costumers. I know, I'm just dreaming. But a man can dream, can't he?

BlueSnaggletooth
03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't think re-releasing characters is a good strategy for success in this line.

If the figures were priced at $19.99 or below it would make sense.

-Snags

Hoth_My_Fav
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
i think thats what they are attempting to do, do some 3 packs that have a popular mix of characters. I personally am not fond of this one they are offering. but if they started doing them with Hoth figures, even tho I already have some Hoth Jumbos, I would buy them again! ;)

Shabby_Blue
03-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Really stupid of them offering this extremely overpriced 3-pack when the first one didn't sell well at all. The only reason they should ever offer one of these is if there was an opportunity for a repaint/variant of some kind to include in it. Perfect example: a Heroes 3-pack with a BROWN haired Farmboy Luke.

jedimasterc
03-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Yeah, I jumped on the first Jumbo 3 pack at 120 from Amazon last year. This one is a lot better seeing that 3 imperials in it.

jabbabon
03-22-2015, 04:06 PM
You would think that if there was a one yr lead time on preorders they could produce closer to what actual demand is and not worry about prices dropping after actual release of figures.

Palitoy_DS_1971
03-22-2015, 07:32 PM
The creature 3 pack would really interest me.
Although I do own Greedo, it'd be good to have Hammerhead and Walrusman made available again.

After looking at this Imperial 3 Pack I had half expected Darth Vader to be remade at the correct height.
They seem to have dug their heels in re: Stormtrooper brow trim.

No changes there.
That paint app is still too thin.

Bring on the creatures, please GGLTD.

Palitoy_DS_1971
03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
This villain set is a pass for me; I might be tempted if they ever do the Android set.

Is the Android Set: SAND PEOPLE, BOBA FETT + RED SNAGGLETOOTH, Kevin?

I just did a Google image search, and it's headed as another Villain Set.
Any clarification would be good - I'm a novice when it comes to triple packs.
Thanks.

Shabby_Blue
03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
For reference:

Complete Set of Three Packs (http://theswca.com/images-toys/three-pack-set.html)

The "Android Set" is C3PO, R2D2, and um.... Chewbacca. Apparently Chewbacca is an android.

Daigo_Bah
03-22-2015, 10:39 PM
I would buy this when and if they "clearance" it at AFX for $120 or less, just like the last one.

TheGoodDr
03-22-2015, 11:14 PM
I think this was a missed opportunity for GG to have 'fixed' Vader's scale. I'm sure a lot more of these would have sold if we were given a new and correctly scaled Vader. And instead of giving us the Death Squad Commander again, how about an Imperial Commander or even an AT-AT Commander.....making this set an 'exclusive' way of getting one of these "new" figures? Personally I don't see the need to remain faithful to the actual vintage three pack variations that existed....but instead use them as a means to give the fans something MORE!

BosskHasManners
04-10-2015, 07:45 AM
There's gotta be a contingent like me out there that's notably excited about this release? Right?

I haven't been able to get into this line because by the time I thought maybe I'd pay 70 bucks a figure, all my favorite figures climbed too high in price.

I thought I'd have the last laugh with the appearance of the 6-inch vintage Boba Fett, because I thought that meant a 6-inch version of this line was inevitable---and, soon! Heck, I insist on displaying loose and dislike too large a scale figure anyway (8-inch is the height limit for me), so, at 6-inches, these figures would not only be cheaper, I could feel less guilty trashing their packaging.

But, it looks like 6-inch Jumbos ain't gonna happen any time soon, if at all.

So, even though these 12-inch scale Jumbo figs are a bit too pricey for me, and, frankly too large for what I usually take into my collection, I really want large scale vintage figures to display---probably at least about 30 characters, most of which have already been released.

To think this 3-pack is coming out---it makes me think I can grab one for $130 new from the right vendor---but I'd pay a bit more just to have 3 of the original 12 vintage figures to display in jumbo size.

I'm a big "original 12" lover when it comes to vintage, and those are my most desired Jumbos----so, that would leave 9 more figures for me to track down. And, if they can eek out one more like it---then it's down to only SIX!

This news gives me a lot of hope.

gijigsaw
04-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Daigo-Bah had it right. Eventually some vendor will have it marked down. I got the Droids 3 pack for $120 from Action Figure Express as well.

Rob_Daugherty
04-10-2015, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't mind collecting these, except they take up so much room. I have one - the Rocket Firing Boba Fett.

I'd like to see some of my favorite POTF figures releases. A jumbo sized Amanaman would be awesome!

Hoth_My_Fav
04-10-2015, 04:34 PM
There's gotta be a contingent like me out there that's notably excited about this release? Right?

I haven't been able to get into this line because by the time I thought maybe I'd pay 70 bucks a figure, all my favorite figures climbed too high in price.

I thought I'd have the last laugh with the appearance of the 6-inch vintage Boba Fett, because I thought that meant a 6-inch version of this line was inevitable---and, soon! Heck, I insist on displaying loose and dislike too large a scale figure anyway (8-inch is the height limit for me), so, at 6-inches, these figures would not only be cheaper, I could feel less guilty trashing their packaging.

But, it looks like 6-inch Jumbos ain't gonna happen any time soon, if at all.

So, even though these 12-inch scale Jumbo figs are a bit too pricey for me, and, frankly too large for what I usually take into my collection, I really want large scale vintage figures to display---probably at least about 30 characters, most of which have already been released.

To think this 3-pack is coming out---it makes me think I can grab one for $130 new from the right vendor---but I'd pay a bit more just to have 3 of the original 12 vintage figures to display in jumbo size.

I'm a big "original 12" lover when it comes to vintage, and those are my most desired Jumbos----so, that would leave 9 more figures for me to track down. And, if they can eek out one more like it---then it's down to only SIX!

This news gives me a lot of hope.

I think... this is a great line to collect, all you have to do is be patient. I do this, after learning by experience-

1- I buy the ones I like and those are the ones i gather data on.

2- I start compiling auctions on ebay on the ones I like.

3- once I have enough data to make valid average, I calculate if the price on the secondary market is rising, and I use ebay auctions for that.

If the prices are dropping in auctions on ebay, 90% of the time, the jumbo figure will be dropping even more over time, whether by dealers or ebay auctions.

4- if prices are rising on ebay, its a sure but again 90% of the time, that this jumbo figure is popular and prices will continue to grind higher.

By doing this, I have gotten some great bargains on Jumbos that went for 40-50% less their original retail and on the flip side, when I wanted some that were higher priced, I learned why and then was able to make a purchase that was with a fair market price.

DarthMickeyMoose
04-10-2015, 04:48 PM
I think... this is a great line to collect, all you have to do is be patient. I do this, after learning by experience-

3- once I have enough data to make valid average, I calculate if the price on the secondary market is rising, and I use ebay auctions for that.

If the prices are dropping in auctions on ebay, 90% of the time, the jumbo figure will be dropping even more over time, whether by dealers or ebay auctions.

4- if prices are rising on ebay, its a sure but again 90% of the time, that this jumbo figure is popular and prices will continue to grind higher.

By doing this, I have gotten some great bargains on Jumbos that went for 40-50% less their original retail and on the flip side, when I wanted some that were higher priced, I learned why and then was able to make a purchase that was with a fair market price.

That is a good idea. But the real problems are the Jumbo figures. You can almost find something wrong with every single one released so far. It's a shame.

Hoth_My_Fav
04-11-2015, 02:56 PM
That is a good idea. But the real problems are the Jumbo figures. You can almost find something wrong with every single one released so far. It's a shame.

Well, I know that folks have issues with the production issues. As an example we could talk about the cape on the Sand People figure. Yet, despite this issue with the color of the cape, this sucker still commands a premium on the secondary market which I find very intriguing.

BosskHasManners
04-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. I've been really chomping at the bit over these things...

Was at Anaheim this past weekend... swung a deal for all 6 Bounty Hunters at $70 piece---funny how that worked out, as that's the total I've been imagining these begin at (although its maybe closer to $60, but I've been thinking $70 for the longest time).

Of course the figure that made the Anaheim 6 figure deal make any sense at all was the RF Boba inclusion.

Anyways---ripped 'em open, kept the backers to putty onto the wall, and lined those 6 suckers up!

So, regardless of any financial questionability---I'M IN! (That's worth the $ right there!)

The hunt begins!
;)

itsatrap
06-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Nice. This may be a good way for me to get a Vader.

I don't really care about the other two, but the asking price for the three pack is about the same as what the single carded Vader is going for these days!

I'll be keeping my eye out for a deal...

jedimasterc
06-01-2015, 06:59 PM
You do get a Stromtrooper and the DS Commander to boot. I was able to get the android set from Amazon at the end of last year for 120 shipped. I cancelled my prime membership. Free shipping is great but you are paying for it with the 99 dollar membership fee.

itsatrap
06-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm sure once I see the Stormtrooper in hand, he'd be pretty awesome. Don't know if I care much about the Commmander. Was thinking if I got the three pack, I could sell the other two off to offset some of the cost for Vader, but if I can find a deal, I'll probably just hang onto them. I'll have to keep an eye out on Amazon as I have Prime. Mother-in-Law 'gifts' us a Prime membership for Christmas! :)

DarthChristopher
11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Found this "in hand" auction on eBay, and OF COURSE they did not fix Vader's height! Gentle Giant did not listen, they could have made Darth Vader in scale, about 14" tall, but instead we get shorty back, unbelievable...

Star Wars Jumbo Villians Special Action Figure Set Kenner Gentle Giant in Hand | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/191740510546)

I've seen Hasbro fix mistakes when re-releasing a figure, but not Gentle Giant, they must be too proud and arrogant to listen to constructive criticism.

Palitoy_DS_1971
11-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Found this "in hand" auction on eBay, and OF COURSE they did not fix Vader's height! Gentle Giant did not listen, they could have made Darth Vader in scale, about 14" tall, but instead we get shorty back, unbelievable...

Star Wars Jumbo Villians Special Action Figure Set Kenner Gentle Giant in Hand | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/191740510546)

I've seen Hasbro fix mistakes when re-releasing a figure, but not Gentle Giant, they must be too proud and arrogant to listen to constructive criticism.

After looking at those "in hand" photos - it does seem as though the Stormtrooper brow-trim paint HAS been fixed! WOW! Only took them 5 years...
That simple change makes it look much better.

Fair play to GGLTD - nope they haven't fixed Vader, but they have ammended the paint app on Stormy.

BlueSnaggletooth
12-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Saw this in person today at SW Launch Bay (Disneyland). Didn't notice the corrected Stormie but Vader looked to be the same (wrong) size as before. Bummer.

-Snags

bkchi
12-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Got mine!
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4810/2015-12-22-194216.jpg

Hoth_My_Fav
12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Got mine!
I really like how you did this. Good job!

Cosmic_Cow
12-23-2015, 08:11 PM
What an awesome comparison shot!

PizzatheHut
02-25-2016, 11:55 AM
$180 at Amazon, $60 per figure. Not bad.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UY24Y9M?keywords=jumbo%20star%20wars&qid=1456419084&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

DarthChristopher
02-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Got mine!

The comparison clearly shows how out of scale the jumbo Vader is, look at the feet of the Death Squad Commander and Stormtrooper, in the smaller vintage set there's yellow backer, in jumbo set their feet go all the way to the ground, not right.

jedimasterc
03-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Got mine!

I have to ask. How much did you drop for the original 3 pack?

bkchi
03-01-2016, 11:21 PM
I have to ask. How much did you drop for the original 3 pack?
I don't recall exactly. I bought it years ago from Toru Komuro, a member here. I think it was the first one I ever bought. I believe it was $1500-$2000 back then.

jedimasterc
03-02-2016, 07:16 PM
I was curious. I was thinking you were one of those vintage psychics.

bkchi
03-03-2016, 02:36 PM
I was curious. I was thinking you were one of those vintage psychics.
Vintage psychics? Who are these mystical people?

PizzatheHut
07-11-2016, 09:25 AM
$165.37 at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Giant-Studios-Star-Wars/dp/B00UY24Y9M/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1468247095&sr=8-17&keywords=star+wars+jumbo+kenner

jedimasterc
07-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Vintage psychics? Who are these mystical people?

Folks who knew the figures from 1978-1985 would be extremely valuable 30 some years after their release and left them sealed on the card. Case in point I have seen quite a few 21 back Fetts go for 2000 dollars on Ebay. I was only 4 back in 1979 and would have ripped that figure off the card. To stay on topic the 3 packs are now going for like 3000 MOC. I wish I would have known. Also Gamestop has the GG 3 pack on their site for $99.

Cosmic_Cow
07-12-2016, 03:19 AM
Folks who knew the figures from 1978-1985 would be extremely valuable 30 some years after their release and left them sealed on the card. Case in point I have seen quite a few 21 back Fetts go for 2000 dollars on Ebay. I was only 4 back in 1979 and would have ripped that figure off the card. To stay on topic the 3 packs are now going for like 3000 MOC. I wish I would have known. Also Gamestop has the GG 3 pack on their site for $99.

Holy crap! Thanks for the heads up. Use code SAVER for free shipping too.

PizzatheHut
07-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Also Gamestop has the GG 3 pack on their site for $99.
Thanks for sharing this. Just ordered!

itsatrap
07-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Also Gamestop has the GG 3 pack on their site for $99.

Thank You ...

Use code SAVER for free shipping too.

... and Thank You!

Ordered.

jedimasterc
07-12-2016, 06:57 AM
I hope the set is still in stock.

Oops never mind I was able to get one and thanks for free shipping code. Got zapped by the tax though.

wookncrook
07-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Just snagged one. Can't beat 100 bucks and free 2day shiping!

sucho23
07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tip as well.

JediEddy
07-15-2016, 03:07 PM
Purchased and received yesterday...if you receive yours like I did, you're in for a real treat when you see how the packaged and shipped it. Definitely a CUSTOM pack job! Folded boxes with LOTS of packing tape! I should have taken a picture, thankfully nothing damaged.

itsatrap
07-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Purchased and received yesterday...if you receive yours like I did, you're in for a real treat when you see how the packaged and shipped it. Definitely a CUSTOM pack job! Folded boxes with LOTS of packing tape! I should have taken a picture, thankfully nothing damaged.

Glad to hear you got yours!

My order reads 'open' ... it says 'allow 1 business day for processing', so not sure why it hasn't shipped when I ordered on the 12th?

Anyone else have an order marked 'open'?

jedimasterc
07-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I picked mine up from the UPS store today. The shipping box is huge. I have not opened mine yet.

wookncrook
07-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Got mine today. Glad I wanted it loose. They folded over the top flap completely over therefore ruining it . But it was well pack otherwise and better yet, free shipping!

Cosmic_Cow
07-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Just snagged one. Can't beat 100 bucks and free 2day shiping!

I ordered mine the same ON the 11th and still don't have it. 2day shipping my ****! And when I check the tracking it still says Pre-Shipment Info received. :\

jedimasterc
07-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Got mine today. Glad I wanted it loose. They folded over the top flap completely over therefore ruining it . But it was well pack otherwise and better yet, free shipping!

Just curious,did they fold the flap the wrong way?mine was folded back.

itsatrap
07-18-2016, 05:44 PM
I ordered mine the same ON the 11th and still don't have it. 2day shipping my ****! And when I check the tracking it still says Pre-Shipment Info received. :\

I ordered on the 12th and used the FREE 2-day shipping code. I just got the shipping notification today with an estimated Delivery of July 25th ... I can't actually track it until it arrives at USPS.

I guess you get what you pay for - Ha! It's NO 2-day shipping, but at least it's FREE ... and mine is almost on it's way.

itsatrap
07-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Well, my Villain 3-pack arrived today.

It appears to have been opened as all the tape on one side has been cut and is re-taped over and the blister supporting the figures inside is crushed/cracked around each of the figures heads. There is also sticker adhesive on the window and a deep indentation. Cardboard is creased in a few places and there is a tear in the top flap. The 'package' it came in was the oddest thing I've ever opened. It was 5 separate pieces of cardboard bent around the box to make up a 'box' - it wasn't even rectangular.

I really only purchased this for the Darth Vader, so the beat up packaging isn't the worst thing to me, but I don't like the idea that it has been opened/used. The Darth Vader does look cool in person. His light saber 'curls' quite a bit into his torso, but I guess that is to be expected or can be remedied.

Tweekem
07-22-2016, 03:12 AM
Have it shipped to the store fellas... the two sets I ordered are minty fresh.

itsatrap
07-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Good suggestion, I should have done that!

I've requested a replacement ... took 50 minutes on hold until I could talk to someone and now waiting up to 72 hours for them to email me a return label.

Their online service pales in comparison to their in-store experience. All the GameStop stores around us have the most helpful and friendliest people! Not that the person I spoke to wasn't friendly, he just sounded confused on how to perform an exchange as he kept changing what I should write on the return slip in order to have it exchanged vs refunded - had to put me on hold to check with someone else.

Who knows though, in the next 72 hours, Darth's sheer awesomeness may convince me to release him from his prison and forget about the damaged packaging and the fact it's be opened?

Tweekem
07-23-2016, 09:09 PM
I would check them out at least... smell the new pastic/vinyl smell.. they are pretty cool.

PizzatheHut
07-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Ordered on the 12th, still hasn't shipped. Ordinary I would cuss out the vendor and cancel my order, but the price is too good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jaakub
07-24-2016, 08:14 PM
I ordered it last thursday and had it by wed and im outside detroit. Might want to call them.

PizzatheHut
07-25-2016, 06:44 AM
Ordered on the 12th, still hasn't shipped. Ordinary I would cuss out the vendor and cancel my order, but the price is too good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
My tracking number was finally updated and it will arrive today!

jedimasterc
07-25-2016, 04:30 PM

I have to ask. How do you do it. I click on the in store pick up and it says no inventory available in a 100 mile radius. How did you get it shipped to the store?

Tweekem
07-26-2016, 12:33 AM
You have to go in to the store. They can order it there and have it shipped to the store.

Zepp_Head
06-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Resurrecting an old thread...

I noticed that BBTS has this set listed in stock, but in substandard packaging. I dont know what that means, but just giving a heads up in case anyone is interested. Its on sale too. https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/34424