PDA

View Full Version : The Force Awakens Product Rundown

GNT
01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
From the front page of Rebelscum (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_The_Force_Awakens_Product_Rundown_161773.as p):

First, let it be stated straight out that the 2 1/2-inch line being solicited for the Avengers: Age Of Ultron action figure collection are not an early clue that even slightly suggests Hasbro’s vision for their Star Wars: The Force Awakens product line. Don’t expect them to stray too far from the what they know works. 3 3/4-inch figures are being offered!

The list below is a rundown of product assortments Hasbro is soliciting, and there is plenty of room for speculation, but the descriptive terms also reveal a few product surprises. Check the list then leave your speculations in the comments below.

Star Wars 7 3.75 In Figure Assortment
Star Wars 7 3.75 In Armor Figure Assortment
Star Wars 7 Figure Two Pack Assortment
Star Wars 7 Figures Snow Desert
Star Wars 7 Hero Series Deluxe Figure Assortment
Star Wars 7 Hero Series Figure Assortment

Star Wars 7 Class I Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 Class I Deluxe Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 Class II Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 Class II Deluxe Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 Starfighter Vehicle
Star Wars 7 3.75 In Hero Vehicle
Star Wars 7 Hero Series Figure Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 The Black Series 6-Inch Starfighter

Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Three Pack Assortment
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Deluxe Vehicle Assortment
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Blind Bags Assortment
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Battle Set
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Figure Multi Pack
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Vehicle Set
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Remote Control Vehicle
Star Wars 7 Micro Machine Villain Flagship

Star Wars 7 The Black Series Diecast Vehicle Single
Star Wars 7 The Black Series Diecast Vehicle Multi Pack

Star Wars 7 Remote Control Droid

Star Wars 7 Hero Mashers Basic Figures Assortment
Star Wars 7 Hero Mashers Deluxe Figures Assortment
Star Wars 7 Hero Mashers Multi Pack
Star Wars 7 Hero Mashers Battle Pack
Star Wars 7 Hero Mashers Attack Vehicle

Star Wars 7 Signature Lightsaber
Star Wars 7 Deluxe Villain Lightsaber
Star Wars 7 Electronic Lightsaber Assortment
Star Wars 7 Extendable Lightsaber Assortment
Star Wars 7 Villain Extendable Lightsaber
Star Wars 7 Foam Lightsaber Assortment
Star Wars 7 Force FX Lightsaber
Star Wars 7 Force FX Lightsaber Assortment
Star Wars 7 The Black Series Villain Helmet
Star Wars 7 Mask Assortment
Star Wars 7 Chewbacca Electronic Mask
Star Wars 7 Lead Villain Electronic Mask
Star Wars 7 Darth Vader Voice Change Mask

Nerf Star Wars 7 Villain Trooper Blaster 1
Nerf Star Wars 7 Villain Trooper Blaster 2
Nerf Star Wars 7 Alien Blaster
Nerf Star Wars 7 Ammo Refill

Thoughts on this list?

John_Solo
01-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Product lists have been released; possible spoilers.

Rebelscum.com: Hasbro: The Force Awakens Product Rundown (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_The_Force_Awakens_Product_Rundown_161773.as p)

6" starfighters!

Not sure I see where the 4" SA would fit in...

SnTrooper
01-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Not sure I see where the 4" SA would fit in...Not under the SW7 banner. Probably still Black Series like the 6" (which also isn't listed other than that starfighter).

Trooper31
01-05-2015, 02:44 AM

Rebelscum.com: Hasbro: The Force Awakens Product Rundown (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_The_Force_Awakens_Product_Rundown_161773.as p)

6" starfighters!

I'd say the 3.75" Figure assortment is the SA line and then the 3.75" Armor one is the 5 POA line. 2-packs would be the Missions line.

GNT
01-05-2015, 04:23 AM
Maybe the "Figure Two Pack Assortment" will be similar to the Mission Series 2 packs.

Waggy
01-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Maybe the "Figure Two Pack Assortment" will be similar to the Mission Series 2 packs.

6" starfighters!

This is has got me VERY excited. The countdown to the theatrical release is going to be awesome!

Hellwig4190
01-05-2015, 08:31 AM
This is exactly what I needed to see. 3.75 continues plus a ton of other stuff. Hasbro looks to be going all out here like they should be. There definitely seems like enough product for a midnight madness (I hope there is one). I am very happy this list came out, I couldn't take almost a year of speculating if we will see 3.75 or not ;););)

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Definitely relieved to see 3.75" figures. And with several 3.75" assortments, I assume (hopefully correctly) that at least one of them will be SA. I imagine the two packs are the continuation of Mission Series.

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Just noticed no beast assortment. :(

Verbal21
01-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Star Wars 7 The Black Series 6-Inch Starfighter

Definitely what I'm most interested about. I hope it's an X-Wing for the 6" figures and not an actual 6" Ep. VII X-Wing.

jedimasterc
01-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Curious as to what the dreaded street date will be for these.

Caas_Sandhri
01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Definitely what I'm most interested about. I hope it's an X-Wing for the 6" figures and not an actual 6" Ep. VII X-Wing.

Sure that it'll be an X-Wing at all? The Ep IV X-Wing is 12.5 meters, at 6" scale (1:12) thats about 105 centimeters - even larger than the dreaded Hollow X-Wing Hasbro churned out recently. With the necessary detailing and functionality, we'd look at a 500$ price point.

The Ep VII X-Wing seems to be slightly smaller, although I may be mistaken, but it'd still be a world away from the previous 6" offers. And the Jabbas and Biker Scouts don't exactly fly from the shelves here.

On the other hand, if the 6" refer to the total length of the vehicle and not the scale, 6" is awfully short. This would suggest a scale smaller than 3.75".

Here are some possibilities that I would consider:

1. The 6" starfighter is no Ep VII toy but either the Delta-7 or Eta-5, both of which are smaller than the X-Wings.

2. It may be an Ep VII starfighter we haven't seen yet, which is significantly smaller than any of the ones we know.

3. It may be, like the 80-cm-thing, be cheaply produced and reduced in functionality.

4. It may be scaled down a lot.

Anyway, we'll see what this list actually means. So far, there are so many open questions (5POA? BS? Armor figure?) that I keep scratching my head.

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm assuming that the armor assortment are characters - such as Finn - with removable armor as their "play pattern."

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Curious as to what the dreaded street date will be for these.

Supposedly September, if earlier leaks are to be believed.

Masterfett
01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Definitely relieved to see 3.75" figures. Where is this exactly coming from? We all knew they would do a 3.75" line, just don't know if any will be SA. Or if they'd all be 5POA. And that listing does nothing to get me excited, as the term SA is missing. We simply cannot "assume" anymore, because hasbro's definition of 3.75" is indeed 5POA.

And yes, i'm thinking the "Armor" assortment is some kind of play feature. It seems that every line has had some type of kid centric play pattern, so why wouldn't they here.

I'm guessing we truly won't know anything useful till SDCC, then we'll know what's what. On the SA vs 5POA front.

John_Solo
01-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Not under the SW7 banner. Probably still Black Series like the 6" (which also isn't listed other than that starfighter).

I'm thinking the Hero Series is the new name for the Black Series 6". Pure conjecture, but that's my assumption.

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Where is this exactly coming from? We all knew they would do a 3.75" line, just don't know if any will be SA. Or if they'd all be 5POA. And that listing does nothing to get me excited, as the term SA is missing. We simply cannot "assume" anymore, because hasbro's definition of 3.75" is indeed 5POA.

And yes, i'm thinking the "Armor" assortment is some kind of play feature. It seems that every line has had some type of kid centric play pattern, so why wouldn't they here.

I'm guessing we truly won't know anything useful till SDCC, then we'll know what's what. On the SA vs 5POA front.

Considering Hasbro dropped 3.75" for the upcoming Marvel lines, apparently, and the rumors swirling that TFA would have 6" and 2.5" figures, it wasn't a certainty that there would be a 3 3/4" line, SA or not...

Isn't Celebration before SDCC. If Hasbro is there, I imagine we will get some news (and possibly a preview figure exclusive...)

efranks
01-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Hasbro calls the 12" figures "Hero Series." Their upcoming Zeb, for example, is a Hero Series Deluxe listing.

E...

Trooper31
01-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Just noticed no beast assortment. :(

Maybe Class I or II Deluxe??

John_Solo
01-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Hasbro calls the 12" figures "Hero Series." Their upcoming Zeb, for example, is a Hero Series Deluxe listing.

E...

Thaaaaat's right. Okay thanks.

Interesting.

Caas_Sandhri
01-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm assuming that the armor assortment are characters - such as Finn - with removable armor as their "play pattern."

Must be a quite armor-centric movie then, if there are enough such characters to justify a whole subline.

Of course, it's probably easier to do in a 5POA line.

Trooper31
01-05-2015, 01:31 PM

I think that it's the Name of the line because Vader's armor will Play some role i the film. They had Legends and then Rebels for 5 POA, then they can call the next round Armor and use Vader as a selling Point and OT Connection.

darthsatan
01-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Interesting!

I'm also very pleased that they have confirmed that they won't be showing any TFA stuff at all at Toy Fair. It can wait.

This will be a Falcon: Star Wars 7 3.75 In Hero Vehicle

As for the others? So many sectors listed that I fear a product deluge where they once again release the same character over and over again in each one and they end up next to each other on the shelf. You watch - Two packs with one figure that you want and one you have a better version of already, vehicles that can only be bought with a 5POA pack-in. Tired of your game, Hasbro. Please prove me wrong! It worked in 1980 without such nonsense.

Trooper31
01-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Did Hasbro prove you wrong in 1980?

my_kind_of_scum
01-05-2015, 02:37 PM
This whole listing would be a whole lot more interesting if it included msrp...

darthsatan
01-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Did Hasbro prove you wrong in 1980?

No. General Mills did a great job and I'd like Hasbro to follow their model. Not going to happen though.

darthsatan
01-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Secondary thoughts:

"Armour" segment could be play patterns a la Batman/ Iron Man/ / Crowd Control Stromtrooper/ "attack" R2-D2 etc. Could Disney be less strict about this kind of use of their I.P. than Lucasfilm was?

Rebels is notable by it's absence...

Trooper31
01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
No. General Mills did a great job and I'd like Hasbro to follow their model. Not going to happen though.

Ok, Close enough.

This whole listing would be a whole lot more interesting if it included msrp...

Agreed. That way we'd have a good idea whether one 3.75" line is SA.

_Darren_
01-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Yay!!!

3.75 inch figures!!!!

'Nuff said!!

Darren

JamesBenjamin
01-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Secondary thoughts:

"Armour" segment could be play patterns a la Batman/ Iron Man/ / Crowd Control Stromtrooper/ "attack" R2-D2 etc. Could Disney be less strict about this kind of use of their I.P. than Lucasfilm was?

Rebels is notable by it's absence...

I'm thinking that's what's going on here.

Doop
01-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeessssss
yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss

3;75 is aliiiiiiive

MARK2D2
01-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Hmmmmm, the Snow Desert figs sound like an exclusive or something -- maybe? Like a multipack, I dunno. Happy to see confirmation about more 3 3/4 inchers... (Not that I ever had any real doubt.) Excited about the film and the toys... Really curious as to what everything will look like... Can't wait till they release more info and images...

I won't be a completist. Those days are far behind me. But I definitely WILL buy any toys I find fun. :)

IndyMOS
01-05-2015, 07:53 PM
There's a lot of interesting things on the list. I'm liking it so far. I wonder why the Black Series 6 inch figures aren't shown on it though. And I wonder what "Star Wars 7 The Black Series Villain Helmet" is. Interested in the Black Series Diecast Vehicles too. Perhaps they're like the Disney Store vehicles out now.

Masterfett
01-05-2015, 10:02 PM
I think that it's the Name of the line because Vader's armor will Play some role i the film. They had Legends and then Rebels for 5 POA, then they can call the next round Armor and use Vader as a selling Point and OT Connection.
This "Armor" term simply reminds me of the Iron Man 3 customizable armor line, that was a big hit. So I'm getting the vibe, that's kind of what it will be.

jalthe1andonly
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Looks like Hero Series is 6" Rebels and Ep VII. Inquisitor is on front page! Black Series 6" will probably be separate and remain in it's current packaging since they just re-did the packaging.

jalthe1andonly
01-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Nevermind. These are 12" deluxe. I saw the box and jumped the gun. My bad.

redleader
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
I just hope they don't over produce the toys like they did with Episode I. That stuff is worth less then it cost new.

my_kind_of_scum
01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Looks like September 4 is the street date for TFA merch (matches up with the book leak...)

Jedi News - Latest: The Force Awakens Merchandise Release Date & More (http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=20100)

darthsatan
01-07-2015, 05:57 PM
I have to say it. Those I-VI 5POA figure box sets are just bloody horrible beyond words.

my_kind_of_scum
01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Yep. It's like Hasbro looked at their last dvd-release movie boxed sets and said "These were absolutely awful. How can we come up with something even worse for the digital releases?"

MARK2D2
01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Yep. It's like Hasbro looked at their last dvd-release movie boxed sets and said "These were absolutely awful. How can we come up with something even worse for the digital releases?"

And No Leia? No Padme? Odd. Very.

Waggy
01-07-2015, 10:08 PM
I don't udnerstand the ahte. The Episode IV figures include 3 of the best figures you could receive in 5POA and I lvoe the C3PO despite him coming up short.

Episode V you get IG88 and Bossk! Episode VI you get the best Wicket Hasbro has ever produced! I don't care much for the rpequels.

MARK2D2
01-08-2015, 12:28 AM
I don't udnerstand the ahte. The Episode IV figures include 3 of the best figures you could receive in 5POA and I lvoe the C3PO despite him coming up short.

Episode V you get IG88 and Bossk! Episode VI you get the best Wicket Hasbro has ever produced! I don't care much for the rpequels.

Getting the best Wicket ever produces is rather like getting the most unusual version of the flu. Sorry! But who wants that!? ;)

my_kind_of_scum
01-08-2015, 01:18 AM
Well, I certainly want the best Wicket ever made, but I strongly disagree on which Wicket that is.

Trooper31
01-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Those sets are lame, but I'm happy about that because I don't have to worry about finding them. It's funny how most of those figures are currently pegwarming and then you have Bossk, IG-88, Scout Trooper and Wicket who are coming in the Missions line, but being repacked here as well. I guess Hasbro had to scramble to throw These sets together.

Anyway, Sept. 4th sounds like a good date for the TFA toys to start hitting. I think they can still Keep many secrets under wraps. The Kylo Ren figure's mask is one Piece, so if there is a Special reveal in the film of that character, they can always make another figure later on with a removable helmet. I have a Feeling they'll want to get the bild of the product out in time for Christmas sales, so September is perfect for that. I'd say they could easily do three waves before the film as Long as that whole port Situation gets taken care of.

As for TBS, this really shortens the timeline for those figures, so I can imagine there being more than the two assumed waves including maybe 2-3 unseen figures for the second wave.

Waggy
01-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Well, I certainly want the best Wicket ever made, but I strongly disagree on which Wicket that is.

The one that you're happy with of course. **** what the internet has to say. It's your money, your time and your energy.

Doop
01-09-2015, 08:42 PM
The sets look like crap and some of those character choices make no sense.

darthsatan
01-10-2015, 03:55 AM
they make absolute sense for Hasbro. They invest minimal thought and effort and pick up what they have already got lying around their production facilities to released on different packaging concurrently. At this point it's laughable and I'm a little surprised, given their massive investment, that Disney put up with such blatant shabbiness.

IndyMOS
01-10-2015, 05:15 AM
I wonder if there will be any Ultimate FX Lightsabers for the movie. I see there's both a Signature Lightsaber and Force FX Lightsabers listed. But aren't the Force FX sabers already released also called Signature Series? Maybe they changed the name to just "Signature", and the Ultimate sabers will now use the "Force" FX name. I'd hope so, because I don't want to have to pay the higher price for the Signature Force FX ones to get some nice light-up sabers.

John_Solo
01-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Those 30% price increases for the Marvel Infinite/Universe 4" figures are... something else. WOW.

my_kind_of_scum
01-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Those 30% price increases for the Marvel Infinite/Universe 4" figures are... something else. WOW.

*And* they're lowering articulation in future waves.... Hasbro is insane with this pricing. With Target's new reset, the 12.99 Black Series figures are right next to the super articulated $4.99 Elite Force figures. As collectors, we understand that a chunk of that is due to licensing, but most parents won't. (and seriously, an eight dollar difference in the same scale and articulation level is pretty flipping crazy...)

Doop
01-10-2015, 10:32 PM
*And* they're lowering articulation in future waves.... Hasbro is insane with this pricing. With Target's new reset, the 12.99 Black Series figures are right next to the super articulated $4.99 Elite Force figures. As collectors, we understand that a chunk of that is due to licensing, but most parents won't. (and seriously, an eight dollar difference in the same scale and articulation level is pretty flipping crazy...)
Licensing can't bump up prices that much. I refuse to believe that.

Masterfett
01-11-2015, 01:16 AM
They'll wind up pushing even more people out is all! Some wont have a problem paying a couple Dollars more, it it's worth it. But you won't find too many people willing to pay more for reduced articulation! I'm one of them.

mandalorehunter
01-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Sure that it'll be an X-Wing at all? The Ep IV X-Wing is 12.5 meters, at 6" scale (1:12) thats about 105 centimeters - even larger than the dreaded Hollow X-Wing Hasbro churned out recently. With the necessary detailing and functionality, we'd look at a 500$ price point.

This proves my point exactly why having the collector line completely switching to 6'' is a bad idea!

Maverick10126
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM

The Ep IV set is definitely a winner. The Stormtrooper looks great, Han looks great and Threepio is amazing. He's my favorite version of the character. He's slightly taller than TVC version I believe but yes, still probably a little short. The Endor sculpt is probably the best height but this guy just looks and feels right. I don't even miss the vac-metal. Chewie is the weakest of the bunch. Had they just given him a better head... I chopped up my Han for a custom. Now I kinda want one just to keep normal.

GNT
04-04-2015, 07:10 PM
This proves my point exactly why having the collector line completely switching to 6'' is a bad idea!

Seems like 6" is the way to go honestly - better detail, larger scale and figures are constantly articulated (smaller and odd shaped characters being the exception with articulation). Disney and Hasbro are looking at The Force Awakens as a whole new start, what they do for the TFA line will no doubt set the scale and tone for the entire ST and spin offs. Collectors will either have to adapt to what's coming, be more selective or simply stop collecting.

We know there's the 6" line coming and a 3inch line as well, time will tell if that's SA or not. I expect that 5POA *may* win out for the start of the new era.

lordtyrannus
04-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Seems like 6" is the way to go honestly - better detail, larger scale and figures are constantly articulated (smaller and odd shaped characters being the exception with articulation). Disney and Hasbro are looking at The Force Awakens as a whole new start, what they do for the TFA line will no doubt set the scale and tone for the entire ST and spin offs. Collectors will either have to adapt to what's coming, be more selective or simply stop collecting. We know there's the 6" line coming and a 3inch line as well, time will tell if that's SA or not. I expect that 5POA *may* win out for the start of the new era.

And if that's the case, Hasbro's bottom line will take a measurable hit, despite what they seem to think. It's giving the finger to the folks who kept the brand afloat during 10 "off" years and who don't want to start a new scaled collection or buy cheap, inferior figures in the scale they've loved for years. I'm hoping for a "varied (not necessarily super) articulation" 3.75" scale line and a 6" line.

CHEWIE
04-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Yeah, if Hasbro doesn't offer a good all around 3.75" scale line that resembles what has worked in the past in terms of quality, character selection, etc., I'll continue to spend less and less on their products.

Trooper31
04-07-2015, 06:53 AM
And if that's the case, Hasbro's bottom line will take a measurable hit, despite what they seem to think. It's giving the finger to the folks who kept the brand afloat during 10 "off" years and who don't want to start a new scaled collection or buy cheap, inferior figures in the scale they've loved for years. I'm hoping for a "varied (not necessarily super) articulation" 3.75" scale line and a 6" line.

Yeah, if Hasbro doesn't offer a good all around 3.75" scale line that resembles what has worked in the past in terms of quality, character selection, etc., I'll continue to spend less and less on their products.

My Star Wars dealer wrote me the other day about my ITT being ready to pick up. He said he was disappointed about the Quality of the ITT and said that Hasbro Needs to come up with a lot better Quality for TFA or he'll end up losing 90% of his customers. He said his customers have really complained about what Hasbro has done with the line (going to 5 POA) and Ave very Little interest in stuff like that. If the Quality doesn't get better, his customers won't have any interest in TFA stuff as well.

darthsatan
04-09-2015, 03:12 PM
My Star Wars dealer wrote me the other day about my ITT being ready to pick up. He said he was disappointed about the Quality of the ITT and said that Hasbro Needs to come up with a lot better Quality for TFA or he'll end up losing 90% of his customers. He said his customers have really complained about what Hasbro has done with the line (going to 5 POA) and Ave very Little interest in stuff like that. If the Quality doesn't get better, his customers won't have any interest in TFA stuff as well.

This is me all over right now.
I've actually sold some stuff this last week and am not missing it.
I have found that my enthusiasm for TFA product has disappeared (excited for the film though).
It was precisely what you say above that was the nail in the coffin for me. Make cheap crap = darthsatan walks away.

Trooper31
04-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Yeah, if the Quality of the TFA vehicles is on par with the new ITT or the Hero Series Falcon/X-Wing, then I won't be interested. My dealer actually said to me that he was embarrased to ask People for Money to buy the ITT because it's so cheaply made. I had been hoping that the seats on the inside were removable so I could do something different, but they are part of the complete mold.

I understand Hasbro wants to make Money and they seem to feel that Kids won't stay interested in a certain for Long (or maybe that's what they want so the Kids buy up the super hero stuff in the spring/summer months). However, Hasbro really Needs to put a lot more effort into the SW line to Keep People interested and engaged.

Sorry, but cheaply made figures and vehicles and 6" figures that don't meet the Quality for their Price are not going to inspire People to stick around.

Caas_Sandhri
04-10-2015, 03:14 AM
Yeah, if the Quality of the TFA vehicles is on par with the new ITT or the Hero Series Falcon/X-Wing, then I won't be interested. My dealer actually said to me that he was embarrased to ask People for Money to buy the ITT because it's so cheaply made. I had been hoping that the seats on the inside were removable so I could do something different, but they are part of the complete mold.

The ITT is one of the worst vehicles I have seen (bar the Dwarf Slave I), no effort at all. A one-piece-hull with only a few extra parts, totally underscaled, not even customizeable in a meaningful way - a total train wreck and not worth possessing. As a mini rig for a third of the price it might have been tolerable, but asking 37€ for it is very bold, to say the least. Seriously, how expensive is a bottom plate?

If there is anything that makes me lose hope for the SW toy line, it's the direction it has been going. I might overlook the "Hero" series since it's aiming at a different market. I might overlook the underscaled sizes in some cases (I did buy the Phantom and, in my complete delusion, hoped for a Ghost it would fit into like the Lego version so the gross underscaling would make sense...). I might overlook the stiff open legs on the AT-DP. But it's accumulating and going on and on, and the prices do not reflect the apparent target market of "kids who play with the thing for a week and then lose it in a sandbox".

Right now SW toys look like something that can be picked up in a Chinese outlet store for 2€. ITT included.

Trooper31
04-10-2015, 03:41 AM
They really do look like cheap outlet store toys. Even the paint jobs on the 6" collector line are pretty bad.

A lot of collectors on These boards have expressed apprehension about getting into the TFA line/getting too deep into the TFA. I know we haven't seen the film yet, but at this Point, those 6" figs that were shown do not interest me in the least. If they decide to go completely TFA for a few waves in the fall, I'm not convinced that will work out. I see a lot of 6" pegwarming the shelves. If they cheap oout and go 5 POA only for the 3.75" figures, I don't think a lot of collectors will sign up for that and alot of the assumed vehicle purchases probably won't ring up either if collectors don't buy into 5 POA. Of course the main Point is going to be the Quality and functionality of the vehicles as well.

One list had Class I vehicles without any figure listed for $10, I believe. I'm interested to see what those look like. My guess would be that they're repacked speeder bikes or mini rigs of low Quality. Who knows, maybe Hasbro will surprise me.

Masterfett
04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Honestly, I'm very close to doing the same as Darthsatan. I'm on the fence right now, as I'm waiting to see what they do with a big media tie-in/push.
But if TFA fails to bring forth anything I'm after, I'll call it a day and walk away.

I don't plan to sell off my collection, but I may offload some of the stuff I bought while trying to satisfy my addiction.That I'm not 100% into.
I might also thin out some of my doubles, from my two of each early days. I've also been seriously considering offloading 90% of my Custom fodder.

quinlanvos21
04-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Yea the ITT really is a deplorable vehicle and toy. I used to think hasbro's worst offerings for vehicles were the speeders from attack of the clones, but comparing those to the latest vehicles good God the speeders run circles around these new worthless blocks of plastic. Calling these saga legends toys outlet store toys is an insult to outlet chains cause I think that is being too nice. I keep reading people's posts on these forums and on collecting sites like galactic hunter praising these saga legends toys and I just don't understand it. I have to be missing something or just don't get it cause I was not around when the vintage figures were around, cause I just don't see how anybody could find these toys acceptable after the great years that were 2007-2010.

CHEWIE
04-10-2015, 12:19 PM
I don't understand the praise for the cheap line either. But then again, quite a bit of the "collector" line has been bad lately too.

The common theme here is Hasbro taking shortcuts and showing much less interest in quality product. Their entire brand has gone downhill. It used to seem like 10% of their overall Star Wars line had issues, now it seems like 90% of it does.

I'm really, really concerned with their approach for the next few years. I'm pretty sure they just want a huge retailer order for film releases, then move onto the next big push, etc.

Hasbro used to treat Star Wars like it was something special and showed love and pride in their product. Those days are gone.

tlbauerle
04-13-2015, 06:29 PM
If I was still collecting as an adult, I would agree with these issues. But the 5POA and Vehicles are just killer for kids. My three boys LOVE them. They are...after all...toys.

Caas_Sandhri
04-14-2015, 03:06 AM
If I was still collecting as an adult, I would agree with these issues. But the 5POA and Vehicles are just killer for kids. My three boys LOVE them. They are...after all...toys.

I can accept that they are toys.

But for toys, they are grossly, seriously, outrageously overpriced. Maybe the prices in the US are much much lower and it's just our market - the European price hike may be part of the rage I feel -, but I don't think I'd get enough value for the money. Let me just look...

For the price of one ITT, I get a standard "Art of" book (160 pages four-color artwork) plus one Black Series figure.
For the price of two ITTs, I get a Kotobukiya 1:7 vinyl statue (Jaina, e.g.) and have a few bucks left for ice cream.
For the price of three ITTs, I get a Lego AT-TE plus one Microfighter (and Lego is an expensive brand).

Trooper31
04-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Agreed. The Prices over here are just ridiculous and what's worse is that the 12,99 Price is the manufaturer suggested retail Price and not the Shops just hiking up the Prices to may some extra dough. It's beyond me how Hasbro touts this line as being a cheaper line, yet the Prices are the exact same or higher for 5 POA figures in comparison to the TBS line. The interesting thing is that just about everybody that collects the 5 POA stuff says they would not pay that Price for the figures.

tlbauerle
04-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Now the price hike, I see as totally separate from the quality issue. As toys, I have no problem with the quality.

The recent obscene price hike is blasphemous. It is all about getting ready to fleece the market in the fall for The Force Awakens. (Yeah, I know other Hasblow lines saw an increase as well) Star Wars seemed to get the worst price hike.

Masterfett
04-14-2015, 09:47 AM
That may very well be. But it's pretty bad when such a popular recognized line, puts out toys that pale in comparison to some of the "knock-off" brands. Just look at some of those vehicles that the TRU heroes or "other" companies put out. For being cheap, they certainly offer some coolness and realistic playability. Whereas Hasbro throws out a block of plastic, over charges for it. And has the audacity to call it a toy! :wtf:

When I was a kid, circa late 70's to early 80's. I can remember some Awesome toys, that had functionality! So to go down this path, "that kids don't care about that". Is either wrongheaded thinking, or they simply don't notice the nuances that we/I did as a kid. Heck, maybe I'm only one out of the billions who cared about this stuff growing up.

saddestmoon
04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
That may very well be. But it's pretty bad when such a popular recognized line, puts out toys that pale in comparison to some of the "knock-off" brands. Just look at some of those vehicles that the TRU heroes or "other" companies put out. For being cheap, they certainly offer some coolness and realistic playability. Whereas Hasbro throws out a block of plastic, over charges for it. And has the audacity to call it a toy! :wtf:

When I was a kid, circa late 70's to early 80's. I can remember some Awesome toys, that had functionality! So to go down this path, "that kids don't care about that". Is either wrongheaded thinking, or they simply don't notice the nuances that we/I did as a kid. Heck, maybe I'm only one out of the billions who cared about this stuff growing up.

"No, you are not alone..."

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c8/c800a4e76547f1870685b9bbd12406acb3c0f6d724bdddd39a 19e0261da295a7.jpg

:P

Masterfett
04-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll elaborate a little. When I was somewhere between 8-10, I built a G. I. Joe Command Center out of the cardboard box of a crib. My cousin just had a kid(yes she was young, but that's a different subject). And I thought that was a huge box that could be used for something! So I constructed walls inside it, to create an office for Hawk, a locker/weapons room, garage for two jeeps, conference room, tactical room w/display panels, maps and whatnot. That is the level of imagination I'm talking about. Heck, I might have had more fun building it. Than actually every playing with my Joe figures in it. lol I also tried to recreate the U.S.S. Flagg, but wound up with something the size of a cutter or destroyer. Definitely couldn't land an F-14 on it! lol I even built my own versions of X-Wings and Colonial Vipers.

mandalorehunter
04-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll elaborate a little. When I was somewhere between 8-10, I built a G. I. Joe Command Center out of the cardboard box of a crib. My cousin just had a kid(yes she was young, but that's a different subject). And I thought that was a huge box that could be used for something! So I constructed walls inside it, to create an office for Hawk, a locker/weapons room, garage for two jeeps, conference room, tactical room w/display panels, maps and whatnot. That is the level of imagination I'm talking about. Heck, I might have had more fun building it. Than actually every playing with my Joe figures in it. lol I also tried to recreate the U.S.S. Flagg, but wound up with something the size of a cutter or destroyer. Definitely couldn't land an F-14 on it! lol I even built my own versions of X-Wings and Colonial Vipers.

Don't forget the kitchen, break room and bathroom!

Trooper31
04-17-2015, 03:56 AM
Has anybody talked with Hasbro at their booth and asked whether we'll see SA 3.75" TFA figures?

Chewbacca
04-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the kitchen, break room and bathroom!

I used to turn Styrofoam burger containers into fighters. :)

darthsatan
04-19-2015, 12:18 PM
^Don't give Hasbro any more cost-cutting ideas!

Trooper31
04-22-2015, 04:19 AM
F

Star Wars 7 3.75 In Figure Assortment
Star Wars 7 3.75 In Armor Figure Assortment
Star Wars 7 Figure Two Pack Assortment
Star Wars 7 Figures Snow Desert

Thoughts on this list?

After seeing the second Trailer, I wonder if the snow desert figures will be some Kind of imperial BP. The Scene where the stormtroopers turn around and look up into the sky seems to be on a snowy planet or landscape.

EddieU
04-22-2015, 03:41 PM
After seeing the second Trailer, I wonder if the snow desert figures will be some Kind of imperial BP. The Scene where the stormtroopers turn around and look up into the sky seems to be on a snowy planet or landscape.

Good call! Maybe Hasbro remembers the seemingly very-successful-for-them Clone Frenzy of the 00's, and wants to kick-start a new generation of army builders.

saddestmoon
04-22-2015, 04:03 PM
I used to turn Styrofoam burger containers into fighters. :)

Hahaha! :) I used to turn an empty cardboard Milo box into a bright green landspeeder, with fins and wings attached on with sticky tape.

My 'Milo' speeder was usually flown by Kenner 3 3/4 inch Lando, replete in his Bespin outfit (vinyl cloak up around his head, of course - to keep the fast-flowing air-flow of Bespins winds from cooling him down...), co-piloted by 3PO (his gold vac-metal plating made the green of the speeder 'pop!') :P

Fun times with cardboard! :P

MartyMcFett
04-22-2015, 06:16 PM
I used a happy meal box as a carbon freezing chamber.

GAdmiralThrawn
04-22-2015, 06:22 PM
It looks good on paper but, will they be able to get the products to the stores? Some stores might not want to invest in all these lines after the fiasco of the past couple of years. So many stores go burned b/c they were inundated with E1 figures& weren't able to get the product the customers really wanted.

Trooper31
04-23-2015, 05:20 AM
Good call! Maybe Hasbro remembers the seemingly very-successful-for-them Clone Frenzy of the 00's, and wants to kick-start a new generation of army builders.

That's my hope at least. I think it would sell rather well.

Masterfett
04-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Possibly, but they'd need to get merchandise to the stores in larger numbers. Which for the last two years, hasn't been the case.

It looks good on paper but, will they be able to get the products to the stores? Some stores might not want to invest in all these lines after the fiasco of the past couple of years. So many stores go burned b/c they were inundated with E1 figures& weren't able to get the product the customers really wanted.

That is the largest problem everyone seems to forget/overlook. Sure, product might be everywhere at the start. But according to their History, it falls very short at the tail end. There's scads of first wave stuff, preventing new figures from hitting. Plus we have to remember, that Hasbro no longer has that 3 year gap between movies anymore. It's going to be straight from the pan into the fire, with movies back to back. So i would assume, they' will not be able to focus much on each movie as in the past. Add all those issues up, and I can't believe anything has changed even with a Movie year.

macbeath
04-23-2015, 03:05 PM
I remember the first ROTJ figures to hit retail in my town were the Biker Scout and Marine. I made a mini-speeded from a Glade air-freshener and some bits of an old model aeroplane...

Anyway, one thing about the price hike (in the UK at least). I get the feeling that RRPs are being set artificially high so that the big retailers can appear to be selling them at a great discount, but aren't really. Look at TRU at the moment - two 3.75" Blacks for 11.90 is the current price... Pity it's such a limited range, but I'm sure they're still making a profit on that. Same with the Supermarkets. Silly prices now, but give it a few weeks and they'll have a sudden drop and be sold at a massive reduction - aka the price they really should have been all along....
Or am I being too cynical?
My son loves his figures, and much prefers playing with SAs than anything else, no matter how great the sculp. If 5PAs are all that come out this December, that's what he'll get, but I really hope for something better.

Trooper31
04-24-2015, 05:06 AM
I can understand that a Launch wave has to be bg enough to meet the possible excitement. Normally, the first wave would hit in April with the film Launch being in May, so 6 weeks before or so. With the film coming in Dec. and the Launch being at the beginning of Sept., Hasbro could easily have a smaller Launch wave, which could sell through faster and still have enough time for the successive waves. Also, if the first waves sold through faster than normal, the stores would be willing to put in bigger orders for waves 2 and possibly 3.

DeckOfficer
04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I hope there is good 3.75" (9+POA) support. I wish they could focus on that like it was before. I think all other merchandise really muddles and distracts the entire line. I believe the 3.75" section will be a sold out hole and everything else will remain in stock just like it is today and continue to not match supply/demand.

Rock
05-04-2015, 05:53 AM
If Hasbro keeps making junk 5 point articulation I am done with buying figures. Hasbro keeps going backwards. It's not 1977 anymore! Make what we want,we will always find ways to pay for this stuff.

MasterRegor
05-08-2015, 03:55 AM
Will most likely pick up the best Lightsaber available. Guessing that will be the "Signature Lightsaber" as opposed to the other "Ultimate" and "Force FX" ones listed. Just have ton wait and see!

my_kind_of_scum
05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
I would assume that the signature lightsaber would be the high-end version of Kylo Ren's... Could be wrong, though.

MasterRegor
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Sounds highly likely yeah. Looking forward to it!

Masterfett
05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
This sure ain't your father's Lightsaber, or Uncle ben's for that matter! :grin:

I actually would be interested to see some new Saber concepts. After all, it has been 40 years since we've seen one. And even then, they were old hand me downs from a bygone era. lol

ZX3
07-13-2015, 09:32 AM
If Hasbro keeps making junk 5 point articulation I am done with buying figures. Hasbro keeps going backwards. It's not 1977 anymore! Make what we want,we will always find ways to pay for this stuff.

It's also not 2007 anymore.
The economy still isn't what it used to be, Chinese labor prices have gone up, and there's more and more competition for kids' toy buying dollar.
While I'm not happy with the way Rebels or The Black Series have been handled and have some dread for what might happen with TFA, I'm not about to berate 5 POA figures because at least they're still making figures at all.
I'd rather have 5 POA than what's happened with G.I. Joe, Star Trek, Masters of the Universe, or just about any other media license in the past decade.

matto
07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
The economy still isn't what it used to be, Chinese labor prices have gone up, and there's more and more competition for kids' toy buying dollar.
While I'm not happy with the way Rebels or The Black Series have been handled and have some dread for what might happen with TFA, I'm not about to berate 5 POA figures because at least they're still making figures at all.
I'd rather have 5 POA than what's happened with G.I. Joe, Star Trek, Masters of the Universe, or just about any other media license in the past decade.

I respect your opinion but totally disagree. 5POA only for TFA will be a disaster. We have spent years collecting OT/PT figures and the 5POA stuff does not fit in with what Hasbro has been making for the last 10+ years. For me, 5POA is not an answer on any level.

my_kind_of_scum
07-14-2015, 02:01 PM

GI Joe and Masters of the Universe are still going strong. With Super-articulated lines, no less. Joe has the Toys R Us exclusive line and the GI Joe club figures (subscriptions and con sales). MOTU has the adult collector line through Mattycollector. Both of those lines offered more figures than Star Wars did in the past year.

EddieU
07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
5POA only for TFA will be a disaster.

It didn't seem to be too disastrous for 'Rebels'...and the most popular figure from that line (Chopper) is only 3POA!

JamesBenjamin
07-14-2015, 03:33 PM
GI Joe and Masters of the Universe are still going strong. With Super-articulated lines, no less. Joe has the Toys R Us exclusive line and the GI Joe club figures (subscriptions and con sales). MOTU has the adult collector line through Mattycollector. Both of those lines offered more figures than Star Wars did in the past year.

WHAT!?!?

Neither one of those is "going strong"! One is a store exclusive that gets 2 new figures per year and the rest are all parts re-use with 3-4 other new heads. Last year's vehicles were all repaints and this years are too, except that they added a new gun turret to a tank, and added a lean-to to a jeep (while also adding a pre-existing gun from a truck to said jeep). Much of last year's line was clearanced out by TRU as well. The other line is a subscription model where almost all the characters have re-used bodies with new heads, where last year they begged and pleaded for months to get enough subscriptions to actually make the line.

I get that Star Wars hasn't had as many figures of late, but Star Wars still takes up 4 feet at most Targets, has a 12 foot aisle at TRU (with the other side being Marvel stuff, and mixed things in the middle short shelves of said aisle), and is in theory stocked by Walmart (though Walmart's hideous stocking policies means the stores never actually get re-stocked).

GI Joe and MotU have zero (or nearly zero) retail presence. Star Wars has a presence, and is about to blow up everywhere a few months from now. There is no comparison.

John_Solo
07-14-2015, 03:59 PM
WHAT!?!?

Neither one of those is "going strong"! One is a store exclusive that gets 2 new figures per year and the rest are all parts re-use with 3-4 other new heads. Last year's vehicles were all repaints and this years are too, except that they added a new gun turret to a tank, and added a lean-to to a jeep (while also adding a pre-existing gun from a truck to said jeep). Much of last year's line was clearanced out by TRU as well. The other line is a subscription model where almost all the characters have re-used bodies with new heads, where last year they begged and pleaded for months to get enough subscriptions to actually make the line.

I get that Star Wars hasn't had as many figures of late, but Star Wars still takes up 4 feet at most Targets, has a 12 foot aisle at TRU (with the other side being Marvel stuff, and mixed things in the middle short shelves of said aisle), and is in theory stocked by Walmart (though Walmart's hideous stocking policies means the stores never actually get re-stocked).

GI Joe and MotU have zero (or nearly zero) retail presence. Star Wars has a presence, and is about to blow up everywhere a few months from now. There is no comparison.

Thank you. "GI Joe is still going strong." LOL. GI Joe is on life support in a sub-basement of an abandoned hospital. MOTUC is "cool" but an online only, mining-the-dregs, heavy mold re-use exclusive which frequently needs to go begging to stay alive. Which also occasionally gets dumped at Big Lots.

my_kind_of_scum
07-14-2015, 04:08 PM
If you're talking retail space, well then yeah... Those two lines are basically gone as they are either totally or primarily online. I thought we were talking about lines that consistently produced a good breadth of product that was focused on the collector. This year's Joe line (between Billy and Pythona alone, not to mention anything else) has Joe fans more excited than I've seen in a long, long while. And did you see MOTU's reveals at SDCC? Multiple subs, a vehicle, exclusives, and a playset set to be even bigger than Grayskull. Both lines are offering more this year than Hasbro's Star Wars lines have offered in a given year since 2012. (and the begging for MOTU subs was due to the last brand manager wanting to increase sales more than anything that had to do with minimum quotas from everything that is being said - including statements from the new team, but that is neither here nor there - the amount of product this year shows that sales have been doing just fine.)

As for minimal tooling, there are literally *hundreds* of background characters Hasbro could make for Star Wars without new tooling (as Yakface proved a couple of years ago with their series of digital mock-ups). I for one wish they would bring that design philosophy over occasionally.

Batman
07-14-2015, 05:47 PM
I respect your opinion but totally disagree. 5POA only for TFA will be a disaster. We have spent years collecting OT/PT figures and the 5POA stuff does not fit in with what Hasbro has been making for the last 10+ years. For me, 5POA is not an answer on any level.

A disaster for the established collectors, yes, for sure.

A disaster for kids and parents minimizing costs during this economic crises, nope.

I have a feeling that SA 3.3/4 might end up as a online collectors subscription availability only if the economy doesn't improve.

JamesBenjamin
07-14-2015, 06:07 PM
If you're talking retail space, well then yeah... Those two lines are basically gone as they are either totally or primarily online. I thought we were talking about lines that consistently produced a good breadth of product that was focused on the collector. This year's Joe line (between Billy and Pythona alone, not to mention anything else) has Joe fans more excited than I've seen in a long, long while. And did you see MOTU's reveals at SDCC? Multiple subs, a vehicle, exclusives, and a playset set to be even bigger than Grayskull. Both lines are offering more this year than Hasbro's Star Wars lines have offered in a given year since 2012. (and the begging for MOTU subs was due to the last brand manager wanting to increase sales more than anything that had to do with minimum quotas from everything that is being said - including statements from the new team, but that is neither here nor there - the amount of product this year shows that sales have been doing just fine.)

As for minimal tooling, there are literally *hundreds* of background characters Hasbro could make for Star Wars without new tooling (as Yakface proved a couple of years ago with their series of digital mock-ups). I for one wish they would bring that design philosophy over occasionally.

But we also haven't seen *any* of the new Star Wars figures for this year, since Disney is holding Hasbro back form showing them. On these very forums the guy from Dorksidetoys said there was a ton of stuff coming that he's not allowed to talk about, and I had a personal conversation with a designer for Funko where he told me an approximate # of new Pops they had coming for TFA (more than a few DOZEN), and how exiting all the (character) designs looked to him, a life-long Star Wars fan.

Also you can't compare the GI Joe collector's club's $40 subscription figures to SW figures either. The equivalent to that for SW would be if they made a $10 Hoth Han in brown coat for retail, then offered a "club" version (as part of a 12 figure subscription costing $400) where his jacket was blue and he had a retooled head with the googles down instead of up. That's they type of figure Joe fans get for $40: new head, old body with different coloring.

If you (the royal you here) are going to complain about the lack of figures this year, at LEAST wait till the movie is out and we see the stuff that is released. Of course there's nothing now, the movie is 6 months out.

Masterfett
07-14-2015, 06:22 PM
It most likely won't be a disaster, because they're in it for the quick buck. And everyone knows that Kids change move on to other things very quickly. So a toy is bought, and almost never played with again. That is what Toy companies bank on. So make a toy cheaply, and sell millions of them. It also makes parents happier not to spent $12 on a figure that may not ever see the light of day again. Sure there will be those few "collector" types, that hold onto them longer. But it's all about getting the biggest bang for your buck, and profit margin. When hasbro sees a little more light at the end of the tunnel, maybe they'll return to better done SA figures.

But for the most part, I'm moving ahead with the expectation that Hasbro just doesn't make figures I'm after anymore. That way I'm not depressed about it anymore, when whatshisname isn't made.

matto
07-16-2015, 01:04 PM
A disaster for the established collectors, yes, for sure.

A disaster for kids and parents minimizing costs during this economic crises, nope.

I have a feeling that SA 3.3/4 might end up as a online collectors subscription availability only if the economy doesn't improve.

Are they ready to loose the majority of what's left of the adult collectors? Obviously the adults are what's kept SW action figures (SA 3.75") alive for the last 10+ years with no major TV or movie support. I would be ok with online sales though as long as they were still being made. I buy online almost completely already.

matto
07-16-2015, 01:22 PM
It didn't seem to be too disastrous for 'Rebels'...and the most popular figure from that line (Chopper) is only 3POA!

Chopper is the most popular because he can get away with being 5POA or less, and that he hasn't been properly distributed. Aren't most astromechs 5POA or less??? Most of the Rebels figure line has been mishandled just like everything else over the last 4+ years anyway. But we are not talking about figures made for a kids cartoon show. This is Ep VII! Hasbro needs to show us they still care about the heart and soul of SW collecting - 3.75" line.

jedisquared
07-16-2015, 01:54 PM
What makes you think they haven't already lost that collector demographic...I jumped ship when Vintage stopped...and refuse to support a 12.99 price point on 3.75" with little articulation.
Are they ready to loose the majority of what's left of the adult collectors? Obviously the adults are what's kept SW action figures (SA 3.75") alive for the last 10+ years with no major TV or movie support. I would be ok with online sales though as long as they were still being made. I buy online almost completely already.

BigBayBlue
07-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Jedisquared is dead right. The old collectors have moved on already. It's astonishing that a line of action figures based on three films lasted as long as it did. Sure, the Prequels provided bursts of renewed energy, but the adult collectors were always far more focused on the OT figures.

Hasbro has been producing OT figures non-stop since 1996. That's amazing. But over time there is a natural attrition. Most of the characters from the OT have been made - anyone of any real significance has been made multiple times. Lots of collectors (myself included) got tired of buying slightly improved versions of the same characters. And as much as I like the obscure characters, there's a limit. And let's face it, the obscure figures didn't sell all that well even when the line was at it's peak. They were never going to be enough to keep the line alive. Hasbro stretched it out a long time by adding articulation, but that drove up prices, thereby chasing off another group of collectors. Of the collectors that remain, how many have cut their buying habits - becoming far more selective? Demand has plummeted.

Now we're gearing up for new movies, but if you think about it, there's not a lot of motivation for Hasbro to make highly articulated 3.75" figures for The Force Awakens. Even if they could lure the old collectors back, the situation with the OT characters will not have changed. If they're going to try and woo collectors drawn in by the new movie, they're much better off doing it with the 6" line. Then, anyone buying the new characters might subsequently be drawn into buying OT figures of the same size. And as the Anthology films bring old character designs back to the screen, it won't change the fact that there have already been 20 different 3.75" Darth Vader figures. Hasbro is much better off trying to move the collector market to the larger scale, where people still get excited when Boba Fett gets released.

They will lose some of the old collectors that don't want to start over, but they stand to gain far more from a combination of new customers and collectors that are reinvigorated by the new size.

It sucks for the SA 3.75" only crowd, no doubt about it - but if you count up the number of OT figures that have been made over the past 20 years, it's a staggering number for three films. No other line of action figures comes close.

It would be nice if they could keep the line alive via an online only model, but due to the expense of the Star Wars license, it will never be like GI Joe where Hasbro can turn a profit on a small line alive. They can only cut costs so much.

Trooper31
07-17-2015, 03:31 AM
I still think there will be SA 3.75" figures. However, I think the biggest head-scratcher in all of this is that the potential for lost collectors to come back and for new collectors to get in is huge. So, it begs the question, why would Hasbro at this Point in time just stop making SA 3.75" figures with so much sales potential over the next 5-6 years?

Look back at 2005. We'd gone through a few years of bad sales due to mediocre SW films. everybody knew that ROTS would be a make-or-break for the SW line. It was a huge hit and People were buying SW stuff like there was no tomorrow for a few years afterards. Most of the People that have left, didn't leave because articulation was too high, they left because they got bored with the line/figure offerings. Now, we'll have completely new characters and a lot of freshness in the line that we haven't seen for a while now.

We all know that of Hasbro sells SA figures in high enough volumes, they'll make a heck of a lot of Money. The potential is there to do just that, so why stop making 3.75" SA figures now?

If SA 3.75" figures perform poorly during the TFA rush (and the waves have to include new TFA figures and not just repacks), then I could understand Hasbro giving up on the line. I wouldn't like it, but I could accept it because sales figures aren't going to lie. However, if hasbro offers a nice mix of ST/OT/PT/EU figures in the 3.75" SA line, I'm sure the line will become a huge success for Hasbro again.

MartyMcFett
07-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm wondering if the 3.75" figures, on Sept. 4th, will include a lot of spoiler action figures. Or is Hasbro gonna hold off on them til right before or right after TFA comes out.
Granted, most of us here already know a lot of the spoiler characters, but the general public doesn't.
I hope the 3.75" line will come packaged in the Vintage Star Wars cardback. A reawakening of the Vintage Collection.

my_kind_of_scum
07-17-2015, 11:34 PM
I think you're right to a large degree about the older buyers having moved on already, but I disagree with the reasons. I know very few collectors who were in it primarily for the OT figures, particularly outside of these online fan groups. The prequels brought much larger sales to Hasbro's coffers and brought a lot of fans deeper into the line - particularly with the insane army building introduced with AOTC and ROTS. If you read the forums on these hardcore Star Wars sites, it is all about the OT. Go to collecting groups on social media, though, and there's a much heavier emphasis on the PT (and even more surprisingly, EU figures).

In some ways, it's a small distinction, but it makes a large difference to how Hasbro would look at the prospects of bringing back those lapsed collectors. If they think collectors would jump back in with an all-new character pool, then it's worth the risk.

I think the potential exists to bring back a lot of the lapsed collectors if 1) the movie is good and 2) the figures are high quality. I don't see many more coming back at a different scale. The 6" line already brought some (many?) to that scale, but those who haven't yet jumped in to that scale would be less likely to be convinced at this point to start over, I think. (My own speculation, of course, and I'm sure it is colored to some extent by my own lack of interest in the 6" figures...)

CHEWIE
07-17-2015, 11:57 PM
I think the older collector interest is still there, but Hasbro ain't getting the 3.75" products out that this group wants. That's the problem. If what y want to buy isn't there, you move on.

Case in point, TRU employee I chat with quite often tells me their late 2014-2015 Star Wars section has been a disaster. Not enough emphasis on the main figures, and too much "space filler" product that nobody wants.

He says each day there are a lot of collectors that come in, look at the Start Wars section, and thumb through the typical 3.75 black series pegwarmers, then leave the store. If new black series 3.75 black series product was there, it would sell.

I know that's the case for me... Each time I look in a Star Wars section (almost daily) there is NOTHING that I want. Which is new good 3.75 figures, army builders or custom fodder. How can I buy it if it's NEVER there?

bigbarada
07-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Obviously the adults are what's kept SW action figures (SA 3.75") alive for the last 10+ years with no major TV or movie support.

Actually there hasn't been a non-media year for Star Wars since 2007. The Clone Wars series started up in October 2008, then ran straight through until March 2014, with Rebels starting up in October 2014. So the media support for Star Wars has been almost non-stop for about 8 years now.

boba772
07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
So are the 3 3/4" figures confirmed? And if so do we know if they will have 5 POA or.. you know, better? And also do we know which characters to expect on 9/4? (Or have any good guesses.) Thanks for the help in advance!

GNT
07-18-2015, 06:42 PM
So are the 3 3/4" figures confirmed? And if so do we know if they will have 5 POA or.. you know, better? And also do we know which characters to expect on 9/4? (Or have any good guesses.) Thanks for the help in advance!

Lol we know nothing atm because Hasbro and Disney haven't let anyone release anything to help promote the film. Based on the prices on the product lists it would suggest that the 3" line would be 5POA. Time will tell though.

CHEWIE
07-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure primary TFA 3.75" line is low articulation - 5POA, or maybe just a bit more.

As for Black Series 3.75", don't think it's going away, but not "designated" for TFA - more like OT/TFA and a bit of EU planned for rest of 2015 and 2016. And terrible distribution, of course.

DJ121
07-19-2015, 09:10 AM
All the talk about figures and articulation.... has no one even mentioned how sad it is that Micro Machines has been revived? Really? Those things sucked back then, I'm sure they will suck more now. And we already have a Die cast line with Hotwheels in the mix now. More money spent on tooling and products consumers won't buy.

boba772
07-19-2015, 10:21 AM
I could care less about most of the 6" figures, or the micro machines or die-cast line. I just want to continue my 3 3/4" figures where I have invested well over hundreds of dollars in. ;-;

bigbarada
07-19-2015, 10:24 AM
All the talk about figures and articulation.... has no one even mentioned how sad it is that Micro Machines has been revived? Really? Those things sucked back then, I'm sure they will suck more now. And we already have a Die cast line with Hotwheels in the mix now. More money spent on tooling and products consumers won't buy.

Micromachines were awesome when they first came out, which was about a year before POTF2. However, what Hasbro has shown seems to be a revival of their Titanium line, right down to reusing all of the old molds. I guess Hasbro is trying to take a chip out of Mattel's Hot Wheels sales.

CHEWIE
07-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Micromachines were awesome when they first came out, which was about a year before POTF2. However, what Hasbro has shown seems to be a revival of their Titanium line, right down to reusing all of the old molds. I guess Hasbro is trying to take a chip out of Mattel's Hot Wheels sales.

I agree, the micro line was pretty good. My son loves it too and is very excited about it.

BigBayBlue
07-19-2015, 11:50 AM
I think the older collector interest is still there, but Hasbro ain't getting the 3.75" products out that this group wants. That's the problem. If what y want to buy isn't there, you move on.

Case in point, TRU employee I chat with quite often tells me their late 2014-2015 Star Wars section has been a disaster. Not enough emphasis on the main figures, and too much "space filler" product that nobody wants.

1. While I’m sure a Toys R Us employee can tell you what he sees in his store, it’s not necessarily representative of the overall market.

2. It’s impossible to apply a simple formula to what adult collectors want. You can say they want more main characters, but many are tired of buying slight improvements of characters they already have. Lots of adult collectors only want the new characters, and as you’ve pointed out, those characters tend to sit around on the pegs. Whatever their preferences, even the adult collectors that have stuck with the hobby are not buying figures like they used to. How many collectors do you know that haven’t become selective about which figures they buy?

I know very few collectors who were in it primarily for the OT figures, particularly outside of these online fan groups. The prequels brought much larger sales to Hasbro's coffers and brought a lot of fans deeper into the line - particularly with the insane army building introduced with AOTC and ROTS. If you read the forums on these hardcore Star Wars sites, it is all about the OT. Go to collecting groups on social media, though, and there's a much heavier emphasis on the PT (and even more surprisingly, EU figures).

You’re right, there have been plenty of collectors interested in the PT, and in many ways they were more exciting for a while because of the selection of significant never-before-made characters. But I’m sure you’ll agree that there have been far more OT only collectors than PT only collectors. There’s a reason that the line has shifted more and more to the OT over time. Those figures sell better. Plus we’ve reached a point where even the PT figures that do sell well (cough... Clone Troops) have been made so many times that PT collectors got sick of buying them. How many army builders want to start over from scratch because Hasbro added hip articulation?

I think the potential exists to bring back a lot of the lapsed collectors if 1) the movie is good and 2) the figures are high quality. I don't see many more coming back at a different scale. The 6" line already brought some (many?) to that scale, but those who haven't yet jumped in to that scale would be less likely to be convinced at this point to start over, I think. (My own speculation, of course, and I'm sure it is colored to some extent by my own lack of interest in the 6" figures...)

I’m certain you’re right: the potential for 3.75” collectors to return is there. But I think the sales of the 6” fully support the idea that enough of the old 3.75” collectors will return for the larger scale.

I can understand how Hasbro might look at the situation and decide it’s a better business strategy to make 6” figures for the collector market. As I pointed out previously, no matter how excited a 3.75” collector gets about SA figures from the TFA, that won’t cure the fatigue over the endless resculpts of OT and PT characters. Like them or not, since their inception, the 6” figures have generated more excitement for the line that the 3.75” figures – and that’s simply because the 6” OT figures seemed fresh to many collectors in a way I don’t think it’s possible for the 3.75” figures at this point.

And another important factor for Hasbro is the cost of producing SA figures. It’s much easier for them to justify the higher prices to customers if they’re selling larger figures.

For a long time I believed that when The Force Awakens arrived, that Hasbro would bring back the SA 3.75 in force, right alongside the 6” and 3.75”/5POA lines. But looking at it objectively, I can understand why they might feel that 3 lines of action figures is too many. The lower priced, kid-focused 5POA figures are the clearest choice to continue with. They’ve already proven to be successful, and are likely the best profit generating of the three styles. That being the case, it also make sense to follow the current excitement generated by the 6” for the collector-focused figures.

deskvader1
07-19-2015, 02:02 PM
^^^The 5poa has been successful because of the price point. Prices have now gone up for what essentially is a statue. I'm ok with 5poa if they give them a waist rotation and perhaps bend the joint s like potf. But 8 bucks for a fig that you can't do much with but place on the shelf? That's asking a bit much and furthermore lying to the customers. If 5.99 and $10 was good enough for saga legends and mission series last year, very not now? They're ripping us off.

CHEWIE
07-19-2015, 07:35 PM
1. While I’m sure a Toys R Us employee can tell you what he sees in his store, it’s not necessarily representative of the overall market.

2. It’s impossible to apply a simple formula to what adult collectors want. You can say they want more main characters, but many are tired of buying slight improvements of characters they already have. Lots of adult collectors only want the new characters, and as you’ve pointed out, those characters tend to sit around on the pegs. Whatever their preferences, even the adult collectors that have stuck with the hobby are not buying figures like they used to. How many collectors do you know that haven’t become selective about which figures they buy?

I think you completely misunderstood my comment about not enough emphasis on the "main figures" -- which is my fault. I was pretty vague there... typing on my phone.

What I meant, is that section has not had enough emphasis on the action figure lines for the premium space that ToysRus dedicated to that section.

http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=5379

The "red font" areas are ones that he indicated have not met expectations for them; while the yellow have. And that there should be more emphasis on the Hasbro basic figure lines, as that's what 90% of the people that are looking for Star Wars come in to that section to buy. And LEGO really sells better out of the LEGO section than in that section; they constantly pull LEGO product from the Star Wars dedicated section to replenish the regular Star Wars LEGO area.

Based on the several TRU stores I hit on a semi-frequent basis on and off, I'd say that's pretty much what I see too... and probably quite a few people here as well (pretty sure it's not just a Missouri/Illinois thing).

Trooper31
07-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Im certain youre right: the potential for 3.75 collectors to return is there. But I think the sales of the 6 fully support the idea that enough of the old 3.75 collectors will return for the larger scale.

I can understand how Hasbro might look at the situation and decide its a better business strategy to make 6 figures for the collector market. As I pointed out previously, no matter how excited a 3.75 collector gets about SA figures from the TFA, that wont cure the fatigue over the endless resculpts of OT and PT characters. Like them or not, since their inception, the 6 figures have generated more excitement for the line that the 3.75 figures and thats simply because the 6 OT figures seemed fresh to many collectors in a way I dont think its possible for the 3.75 figures at this point.

That being the case, it also make sense to follow the current excitement generated by the 6 for the collector-focused figures.

I think we have to be careful when comparing the two lines. The 3.75" line has been around for a Long time. The 6" line is almost 2 years old. How many carry forawrds or repacks have we seen in the 6" line? Waves 1 and 2 were all new. Wave 3 saw a repack of Han that moved slowly. The next repack came in wave 6, I believe, and Obi-Wan was not really a good choice.

Because there have been relatively few repacks, it's a lot easier to get excited about the line. However, at some Point, we'll see more and more repacks. Wave 7, Stormtrooper Han, had only 2 new figures and 2 repacks. So, the 6" line hasn't been bothered by the repacks as the 3.75" TBS line has. Even the 5 POA line has had a lot fewer repacks. Now, if Hasbro makes a wave that includes ANH Han, ROTS Obi-Wan, Greedo, and 1 new figure, then maybe we'll see how excited People are about the 6" line.

The 6" line is a line that collectors can easily say, "Hey, I'll buy one or two that I really like and call it a day." Whereas the 3.75" line usually does not work like that. The 6" line is great to have as a fun gift for an adult or to have a Piece to Display on your desk at work or on a shelf in your home. So, it does have some intersting potential for collectors.

The main reason hasbro likes the 6" line is because of the Profit margin it has. The Profit margin for 6" over 3.75" is bigger. That's the only reason Hasbro is pushing the 6" so hard. I also think that 6" isn't really performing to what Hasbro had hoped. When I see that the second wave of the deluxe sets was delayed and then later split (Han and Luke were originally planned to be packed in the same case) as well as the numbers of sales we've seen on the deluxe line, I can't imagine it's as big of a hit that Hasbro says it is.

Does the line have potential? Yes. Can it becoke more successful? Yes However, I'll say it again, those leaked pics of the 6" TFA figs from a while back do not Appeal to me at all. If those were 3.75"SA figs, I would buy a number of extras.

Masterfett
07-20-2015, 10:37 AM
I do know of one Retailer, that is increasing their Star Wars section to 7.5'. They haven't done this since ROTS, when it was 10'. So if this retailer is going that big, there must be something significant being offered. Of course whether or not they can fill it/keep it filled, is another matter. Previously it was only 2.5', and they could barely keep it stocked.

Batman
07-20-2015, 06:51 PM
My real fear is that interview at SDCC, where the Hasbro rep was asked whether there will be a 3.75 line, and he said he can't answer that?

I mean, why deny the foundation of Star Wars toys? So, I'm bracing myself for the worse, as I was keen on a Kylo and Poe in 3.75 SA.