PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Biker Scout Figure

TheGoodDr
05-14-2014, 09:10 PM
'Nuff Said! Biker Scout Jumbo Figure (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/80307.htm)

gijigsaw
05-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Nice! Preordered!

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
05-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Awesome!!! Ordered :)

Hoth_My_Fav
05-14-2014, 10:38 PM
*falls over* wow... yea I am getting him also....

rnbuda
05-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Looks great!

Jedi534
05-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Looks great!

It should, it's the original figure that's pictured! :awesome:

Shabby_Blue
05-15-2014, 01:46 AM
This will be one of the best Jumbo figures, mainly because I think the original Kenner sculpt was one of their finest in the vintage line. Much more detailed than other figures from that era.

I wonder if GG will take a gamble and offer a Speeder Bike in this scale sometime next year to go with the Biker Scout. We've got the Wampa, and presumably we'll get a Tauntaun, but the Speederbike is the only actual vehicle small enough to realistically be offered in the Jumbo scale.

ramy
05-15-2014, 06:34 AM
I am surprised they have skipped over the rest of the ESB figures.

BillMulder
05-15-2014, 06:41 AM

I expected them to skip some figures (FX-7, Bespin Security Guard, Cloud Car Pilot) but I had hoped that they'd do Princess Leia (Bespin Gown), C-3PO with removable limbs and R2-D2 with sensorscope. I'm guessing that the AT-AT Drive is the Comic Con exclusive this year or it'll come out right around the same time as Biker Scout.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I wonder if we'll get the "short mouth" Biker Scout too ;)
Or maybe a POTF version?

Hoth_My_Fav
05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
This will be one of the best Jumbo figures, mainly because I think the original Kenner sculpt was one of their finest in the vintage line. Much more detailed than other figures from that era.

I wonder if GG will take a gamble and offer a Speeder Bike in this scale sometime next year to go with the Biker Scout. We've got the Wampa, and presumably we'll get a Tauntaun, but the Speederbike is the only actual vehicle small enough to realistically be offered in the Jumbo scale.

oh god I am going to be disappointed if we dont get a tauntaun :'(..... I was thinking the same tho,,,, as someone else said, they pretty much skipped a bunch of ESB stuff.... perhaps tho they are going to back track later... but yea now with this guy, the speeder bike in this scale has to be something they will do, at least i hope!

Dax
05-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't think we'll see the speederbike at this scale. It would still be huge, very expensive with a small market for it and I think the biggest obstacle would be the technical problems with materials. At 3 times the standard size you're suddenly getting a lot of weight in the nose of the bike and even if the struts of the bike were cast in styrene and not roto-molded they will bend thanks to gravity. Additionally upscaling springs for the suspension and launch mechanism will add complexity.

You would be better off buying the old Hasbro one for about $50 than hoping GG would make one that would be inferior and cost about $700.

As for skipping some ESB figures, there's just insufficient market for $70 items of third rate characters. Bespin Guards, Lobot, Imperial Officer all are pretty dull characters and are likely to appeal to a very small volume of collectors. It would be a very big risk for GG to tool up for these and why would they when they can easily pump out 10 Biker Scouts for every Ugnaught they could sell.

Shabby_Blue
05-15-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't think they are done with ESB just yet. Just because the Biker Scout goes up for pre-order, it doesn't mean ESB is completely done and ROTJ begins. We already got the Gamorrean Guard over a year ag and that didn't mark the end of the ESB run. GG still has to release the AT-AT Driver (which was already teased on one of their cardbacks), and I'm confident we'll at least get Bespin Leia, the TIE Pilot and AT-AT Commander too.

BlueSnaggletooth
05-15-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm guessing that the AT-AT Driver is the Comic Con exclusive this year or it'll come out right around the same time as Biker Scout.

That's a good guess. Wouldn't be surprised to see this happen.

-Snags

AaylaSecurasMan
05-15-2014, 11:19 PM
and I'm confident we'll at least get Bespin Leia, the TIE Pilot and AT-AT Commander too.

I am also super confident that we will get the TIE Pilot :D

CraigMac
05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
I am also super confident that we will get the TIE Pilot :D

I'm willing to put money on it.

Shabby_Blue
05-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I had a brief memory lapse and forgot the TIE Pilot already went up for pre-order recently. :)

Anyway, it's a safe bet that GG will eventually offer all the Imperial troopers, with the possible exception of the very boring looking Imperial Officer. Imperial troops often tend to sell well, so I'm sure the rest of them are on the short list of vintage characters GG plans to make.

I'm hoping for GG to offer the AT-AT Commander to pair up with the eventual release of the AT-AT Driver, and then once we're in full swing on the ROTJ line I hope for the AT-ST Driver and especially the Royal Guard to get released. The Imperial Gunner would be nice on a POTF card too. The Gunner is one of those few figures near the end of the line that had such a nicely detailed sculpt that it could have rivaled some of the early POTF2 figures in the mid to late 1990s.

As for the SDCC exclusive, the AT-AT Driver would seem like a very odd and boring choice. The exclusive needs to be something of historical significance to the vintage line like the previous SDCC exclusives from 2011-2013, or a primary Han/Luke/Leia character, and not just any random 3rd tier character. I still say Anakin Skywalker would be the next most logical choice to follow their trend of the last 3 years, and if not him then maybe Jedi Luke to really kickoff the ROTJ line. A con exclusive Jedi Luke with snap cape and blue saber would be a great choice, and then a mass retail variant with a sewn cape and green saber released thru GG's website and other E-tailers, perhaps offered on a POTF card to really make it more unique.

BillMulder
05-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Anyway, it's a safe bet that GG will eventually offer all the Imperial troopers, with the possible exception of the very boring looking Imperial Officer. Imperial troops often tend to sell well, so I'm sure the rest of them are on the short list of vintage characters GG plans to make.
I'm sure GG knows their business but I'm still wondering why they think they can do better with a Hoth Rebel Soldier than an Imperial Commander. I have fond childhood memories of playing in the snow with all of my Hoth toys so I'm glad that the Rebel Soldier is being made but I would think that a stock Imperial figure would sell better than a nameless Rebel.

Glitch
05-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Who said they did?

If that's the case, when they produced Yak Face they skipped over every other figure in the line. GG just does whatever they want. They want to make a Gamorrean, they do. They want to start the line with ESB Fett, they do. They want to make a Biker Scout, they do.

It's just the crazy way they do things in an attempt to keep people interested in this line.

Anyway….

I'm hoping they're not going to use that same ugly, off-white, yellowish vinyl they used for the Stormtrooper in this guy.

Yuck.

ramy
05-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Who said they did?

If that's the case, when they produced Yak Face they skipped over every other figure in the line. GG just does whatever they want. They want to make a Gamorrean, they do. They want to start the line with ESB Fett, they do. They want to make a Biker Scout, they do.

It's just the crazy way they do things in an attempt to keep people interested in this line.

Anyway….

I'm hoping they're not going to use that same ugly, off-white, yellowish vinyl they used for the Stormtrooper in this guy.

Yuck.

I meant in their normal solicitation. Yak Face was an exclusive figure. AT-AT Driver is actually on the back on the cards and he still hasn't been announced yet.

Faker
05-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm just a spectator with this line since I just don't have the funds to collect. But if I ever take the plunge and buy a few of my favorites, the Biker Scout is definitely on my short list of favorites.

Glitch
08-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Found this, this morning at Toys R Us:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/symbot/photo_zpsae176c23.jpg

Over 30% larger, same articulation and 1/4 the price. No a bad deal for $20.

AaylaSecurasMan
08-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Found this, this morning at Toys R Us:

Over 30% larger, same articulation and 1/4 the price. No a bad deal for $20.

Ah! but it doesn't come with a cool Vintage card back :twisted:

Glitch
08-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Ah! but it doesn't come with a cool Vintage card back :twisted:

I guess that accounts for that extra $60.

Mighty_Jabba
08-26-2014, 11:20 PM
I also am pretty sure that the Jaxx Pacific figure will be way more durable. The thing is that a company like Jaxx is only ever going to put out a handful of characters, and they're going to be the more popular ones. I think part of what we're paying for with GG versions is for them to spend the money putting out more obscure characters.

Azuryte
08-27-2014, 02:36 PM
GG has stated in the past that they don't intend on doing every figure. I personally hope they do, even if the less popular ones are done as exclusives in smaller runs. GG better "finish what they have started"!

Mighty_Jabba
08-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Whether they finish the entire line or not, we've already had lots of figures that would never see a conventional release if a company like Jaxx was in charge, and that's my main point.

AussieFortuna
01-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Anybody know when this is expected out?
cheers

BillMulder
01-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Anybody know when this is expected out?
cheers

It's scheduled for the first quarter of this year but since they have yet to release 2-1B, Han Bespin, Luke Bespin and TIE Fighter Pilot, I'm guessing it won't be until at least the second quarter.

AussieFortuna
01-29-2015, 10:28 AM
It's scheduled for the first quarter of this year but since they have yet to release 2-1B, Han Bespin, Luke Bespin and TIE Fighter Pilot, I'm guessing it won't be until at least the second quarter.

Thankyou Bill, appreciate that mate.

TylerEC
06-21-2015, 06:45 AM
In stock at Amazon.

My pre-order shipped.

Kaneda_01
06-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Awesome and thanks for the heads up... $66 w/ free 2-day prime shipping. I'm just waiting for GG to stock Han Bespin so I can use my $30-off coupon to get current. :0)

Faker
06-26-2015, 06:08 PM
My Biker Scout that I pre-ordered through Amazon just arrived today. My only complaint is that he leans just slightly to his left. But it's only barely noticeable. Otherwise it is a great figure. This was one of my absolute favorite Star Wars figures when I was a kid so I'm glad to have him in my jumbo collection. On a side note, my 12" Masters of the Universe Man at Arms arrived earlier this week so that makes 2 awesome figures from my childhood scaled up to 12" in one week.

Kevin_Lentz
06-27-2015, 06:47 AM
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r547/334archives/004_zpsqfhzfpoi.jpg

Logray
06-27-2015, 10:43 AM
My Biker Scout that I pre-ordered through Amazon just arrived today. My only complaint is that he leans just slightly to his left. But it's only barely noticeable. Otherwise it is a great figure. This was one of my absolute favorite Star Wars figures when I was a kid so I'm glad to have him in my jumbo collection. On a side note, my 12" Masters of the Universe Man at Arms arrived earlier this week so that makes 2 awesome figures from my childhood scaled up to 12" in one week.

I am interested in those MOTU Giants but I wish they did the clamshell resealable packaging like Gentle Giant. Still if they get to Mer-Man.....

Kaneda_01
06-27-2015, 10:02 PM
I just added the Biker Scout to my line-up... he's awesome! I'm waiting for Han Bespin to arrive next week to get current until SDCC and the Droid's R2. Running out of spots to display future figures... I will need to take a trip to Ikea for another Billy bookcase. :0)

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/20150627_144119.jpg

DefSith
06-27-2015, 11:09 PM
I just added the Biker Scout to my line-up... he's awesome! I'm waiting for Han Bespin to arrive next week to get current until SDCC and the Droid's R2. Running out of spots to display future figures... I will need to take a trip to Ikea for another Billy bookcase. :0)

Awesone display

Santiago1970
07-15-2015, 03:03 PM

I've said it a bunch of times but I'll have to repeat myself again. I love the way you have these set-up and the Death Star corridor backdrops are an awesome touch! Are they really hard to make for someone who is all thumbs when it comes to anything that's crafty?

Hoth_My_Fav
07-15-2015, 04:03 PM

when i see this i say to myself "another satisfied collector, this line is doing great!"

thanks for sharing it looks so great!

TheGoodDr
07-15-2015, 09:21 PM
another satisfied collector, this line is doing great!

I'd say that with Jabba being the ONLY new reveal at SDCC it's a safe bet that this line is pretty much DONE and DUSTED!

Kaneda_01
07-16-2015, 02:44 AM
I'm adding a 3rd display case to the line up to make room for the remaining announced figures such as Ackbar, Boushh, Logray, Wicket, Ugnauts, etc... and add Jabba and the Wampa to my display. If there are any other future release announcements will have room to display them as well.

Will be reserving the the bottom row of the new book shelf to display the Series 1 GI Joe figures... at least the first 12 figures in the line. Keeping my figures crossed that GG will tackle producing Kenner Indiana Jones Jumbos... which would be just awesome to round out my display! :O)

Shabby_Blue
07-16-2015, 02:24 PM
I'd say that with Jabba being the ONLY new reveal at SDCC it's a safe bet that this line is pretty much DONE and DUSTED!

Sad, but probably true. I'm just curious how they'll do the packaging if there's no intention of doing the throne and/or the other figures pictured in the original Kenner packaging (Squid Head and Jedi Luke). Hopefully it's just a case of Jabba still being early in the development stages and GG plans on releasing the throne and some more ROTJ figures to compliment him.

But it's a huge fail on GG's part if they don't at least give us Jedi Luke. That figure would sell huge and would be a great final figure to send off the line.

vikesfan80
07-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Where did you get the death star backgrounds for the bookcase?

Kaneda_01
07-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Where did you get the death star backgrounds for the bookcase?

Hey, I custom built the Deathstar panels in the photos and currently slowly building several Tantive IV panels for the top section of my bookcase. With that said... here is my build thread... that covers initial concept to paint and finish. B)

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1085402/

vikesfan80
07-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Cool, nice job. Thanks!

PizzatheHut
02-16-2016, 04:22 PM
$59 at Amazon. Very tempting...

Hoth_My_Fav
02-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Not too shabby, this is pretty good, past 3 month low was 57 and that included shipping. I picked one up just now at 59, great price.

thank you for mentioning this. He is going to look gooooooooooood next to my graded vintage one and my original loose one!

DefSith
02-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Awesome score.

Hoth_My_Fav
02-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Just got my Biker Scout in... cant stop marveling at how GREAT of a Jumbo this is MAN,, i like it so much!! I plan on doing a small review later on. thank you again to PizzatheHut for the heads up on the sale. In my data base of prices, this is a very good price point to pick one up as most had been hitting the 60-64 range with shipping on ebay.

OCWanKenobi
03-18-2016, 02:48 PM
been waiting to buy this one. got rewarded for procrastinating. got it from the site with reward points and patricks sale on their site. its a good time to buy.