PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner TIE Fighter Pilot

gijigsaw
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Up for preorder at GG.

Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot Jumbo Figure (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/80420.htm)

jedimasterc
04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Cool but I would have preferred the AT-At Driver more.

CraigMac
04-21-2014, 05:15 PM
It's about time. He looks pretty Bad *****.

AaylaSecurasMan
04-21-2014, 05:52 PM
It's about time. He looks pretty Bad *****.

Looking at your avatar I would say that you are super excited Craig, right?

CraigMac
04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Looking at your avatar I would say that you are super excited Craig, right?

A 1000%, yes.

ramy
04-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Nice. Can't wait.

SR_501
04-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Was only going to buy a select few from this line, but.. this one will be hard to pass up.

kevb0977
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I like the original Kenner figures, this one, the Snowtrooper, AT AT Driver & Stormtrooper being amongst my favourites from back then..., they remain a fond memory of my childhood but not something I want to collect again, even in the bigger size. :)

bigbarada
04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm seriously looking forward to this one!

Hoth_My_Fav
04-25-2014, 06:48 PM
I a m alllll in on this one!!!!!!!

AaylaSecurasMan
04-25-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm seriously looking forward to this one!

Nice bigb, I didn't know that you collected this line. I agree that this looks great, there is something about that black color.

BlueSnaggletooth
04-26-2014, 12:32 AM
Time to scratch yet another name off my "most wanted" list.

-Snags

Glitch
04-27-2014, 03:52 PM
This guy's face always reminded me of a Stormtrooper missing a chromosome.

It just has that "special" look.

:wtf:

Sergiu
04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Cool but I would have preferred the AT-At Driver more.

Same here. I might get the TIE Pilot some day, but not right now.

bigbarada
04-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Nice bigb, I didn't know that you collected this line. I agree that this looks great, there is something about that black color.

I haven't started collecting the line yet, but this would be one figure that I would definitely buy. It's always been one of my favorite figures from the vintage line.

bigbarada
04-29-2014, 08:33 AM
This guy's face always reminded me of a Stormtrooper missing a chromosome.

It just has that "special" look.

It's gotta be because of the position of the "frown" on his helmet, it's way too close to his eyes. So, to me, the grill at the bottom of his helmet always appeared to be his mouth, giving him an anteater-like appearance; but I wonder if that impression will change at the larger scale?

ramy
02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Got an email that this is processing soon.

wgenich
02-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Mine arrived yesterday. Note that I haven't complained about any of the other pieces (like Bossk). But this piece is truly lackluster. Without any shinyness, its a very dull black. Methinks all the TIE Fighter Pilot lovers will be filled with hatred over the final look of this piece.

BlueSnaggletooth
03-04-2015, 01:36 AM
Just got mine. Ordered from amazon.

Very disappointed. First this, Bespin Luke, then Bespin Han. GG needs help with this line BIG-TIME.

I would be happy to consult if needed.

- Snags

gijigsaw
03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/iphone%20MAR15%20340_zpsy4slpzar.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/iphone%20MAR15%20342_zps0xouammo.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/IMG_3050_zps4lk7wiaq.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/IMG_3051_zpsabezojve.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/IMG_3053_zpsoznwwykf.jpg

Sergiu
03-06-2015, 05:28 AM
Maybe one day I'll get this too.

sotoam
03-06-2015, 10:21 AM
The missing of the high-gloss hasn't bothered me too, too much on some of these figures, but this is just bad. It looks so dull and uninspired. :(

Is it just me or do his shoulders look like they aren't level? He seems to be shorter on his left-hand side.

TheGoodDr
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Is it just me or do his shoulders look like they aren't level? He seems to be shorter on his left-hand side.

You are correct. The positioning of his left arm is wrong. To me it looks like the position of the joint is lower than it should be, resulting in his left arm looking longer than his right.

Also, if you compare him to an actual vintage figure, you'll notice he's not as stocky. GG's Jumbo Tie Pilot has gone through the same wight-loss program that their Wampa did.

DontDissTheFett
03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
I preordered this from Amazon, and I can confirm the uneven shoulders. That an the flat paint made me decide to send it back. I also have the biker scout on preorder, I still have high hopes for that one but I'm not so sure anymore..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoth_My_Fav
03-13-2015, 11:51 AM
The talk of the flat paint has me confused to a certain point. Not sure what everyone is referring too.. is this something in relation to the original figures? As an example, I have Hoth Han, Mr Gamme and then Hothie Snowguy... Han is right in front of me at my desk, the takes up a lot of real estate, as I look at him, i see like what you guys refer to as flat...but were these promised with gloss or flat?

I honestly dont see anything wrong in what everyone is calling "flat". I see this as the type of plastic is used and to be quite honest, when I stare at all three that I have, I dont focus on the "flat" color but rather the details on the figure come to life. So like on the gammie, I cant help but pay attention to his big snout, I just wanna grab it and squeeze it lol Han Hoth I marvel at his big parka and think "god he must be super warm and hot in that thing" lol... and the snowtrooper, I am like, man how would like you to see this guy knocking on your door on a SUnday morning lol but the flat finish on the figure i dont really notice at that point...

what am i missing?

sotoam
03-16-2015, 11:04 AM
The talk of the flat paint has me confused to a certain point. Not sure what everyone is referring too.. is this something in relation to the original figures? As an example, I have Hoth Han, Mr Gamme and then Hothie Snowguy... Han is right in front of me at my desk, the takes up a lot of real estate, as I look at him, i see like what you guys refer to as flat...but were these promised with gloss or flat?

Seriously? You aren't sure what we are referring to? Do you have any of the original figures? Heck, have you SEEN an original figure? Were we promised gloss? Click the link in the very first message in this thread... The one for the pre-order... The one from GG's site... Does THAT figure look like THIS figure? Sheesh! Stop trying to win brownie points from GG, and pay attention to what you claim to be collecting.

I honestly dont see anything wrong in what everyone is calling "flat". I see this as the type of plastic is used and to be quite honest, when I stare at all three that I have, I dont focus on the "flat" color but rather the details on the figure come to life. So like on the gammie, I cant help but pay attention to his big snout, I just wanna grab it and squeeze it lol Han Hoth I marvel at his big parka and think "god he must be super warm and hot in that thing" lol... and the snowtrooper, I am like, man how would like you to see this guy knocking on your door on a SUnday morning lol but the flat finish on the figure i dont really notice at that point...

So, you don't pay attention to detail, cool. That's your prerogative. What GG claims though is that these are the same vintage figures we collected as kids, "just bigger!" Well, just bigger, with slanted shoulders, horrible flat paint, detail that never existed on the originals, etc.

what am i missing?

The vintage era, apparently.

Hoth_My_Fav
03-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Seriously? You aren't sure what we are referring to? Do you have any of the original figures? Heck, have you SEEN an original figure? Were we promised gloss? Click the link in the very first message in this thread... The one for the pre-order... The one from GG's site... Does THAT figure look like THIS figure? Sheesh! Stop trying to win brownie points from GG, and pay attention to what you claim to be collecting.

So, you don't pay attention to detail, cool. That's your prerogative. What GG claims though is that these are the same vintage figures we collected as kids, "just bigger!" Well, just bigger, with slanted shoulders, horrible flat paint, detail that never existed on the originals, etc.

The vintage era, apparently.

My my my so much anger you have inside you, or least thats the impression you are giving me over a toy. Have you written directly to Gentle Giant about these things? There is really nothing I can do for you but I might be able to help you out if you want to sell me your Hammerhead or Sand People if they are brand new.

I like them a lot, I love the detail on them, I have a hard time finding fault with what is really just a toy. Sorry you have so much anger against Gentle Giant, I hope it passes some day.

oh and I am still confused....

Glitch
03-16-2015, 08:49 PM

……...

sotoam
03-18-2015, 04:31 PM
My my my so much anger you have inside you, or least thats the impression you are giving me over a toy. Have you written directly to Gentle Giant about these things? There is really nothing I can do for you but I might be able to help you out if you want to sell me your Hammerhead or Sand People if they are brand new.

Not anger, disappointment. This line should have been a slam dunk for any company. "Just like when you were a kid, only bigger" Pretty simple. Unless, of course you are Gentle Giant. Have I written directly to them? No, lots of people have though and they haven't listened. So I just don't buy them now. They might hear that. Actually, I usually buy them for about $45 when places like Amazon or other online stores get tired of these things clogging their shops.

I like them a lot, I love the detail on them, I have a hard time finding fault with what is really just a toy.

Detail? Are we talking about the same stuff? We ARE talking about the Vintage Jumbo figures, right? I'm not saying that as a slam against GG either. I love the vintage figures. Collected them as a kid and as an adult, but I'd never say they we "detailed". They were toys. These things are being advertised and sodl by GG to be collectibles though; not toys. As collectibles, I'd expect them to be the SAME as the vintage figures, warts and all, "just bigger".... You know... Kinda like their slogan for the line.

Well my dad had a saying for that, " you can't fix..." I'm sure you know the rest of that.

Mark_the_Wookiee
03-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Mr Gamme and then Hothie Snowguy...

So like on the gammie, I cant help but pay attention to his big snout, I just wanna grab it and squeeze it lol Han Hoth I marvel at his big parka and think "god he must be super warm and hot in that thing" lol... and the snowtrooper, I am like, man how would like you to see this guy knocking on your door on a SUnday morning lo

what am i missing?

This is SO too easy........but it IS very tempting!

I'm sitting on my hands right now..

Hoth_My_Fav
03-19-2015, 01:40 AM
Not anger, disappointment. This line should have been a slam dunk for any company. "Just like when you were a kid, only bigger" Pretty simple. Unless, of course you are Gentle Giant. Have I written directly to them? No, lots of people have though and they haven't listened. So I just don't buy them now. They might hear that. Actually, I usually buy them for about $45 when places like Amazon or other online stores get tired of these things clogging their shops.

Detail? Are we talking about the same stuff? We ARE talking about the Vintage Jumbo figures, right? I'm not saying that as a slam against GG either. I love the vintage figures. Collected them as a kid and as an adult, but I'd never say they we "detailed". They were toys. These things are being advertised and sodl by GG to be collectibles though; not toys. As collectibles, I'd expect them to be the SAME as the vintage figures, warts and all, "just bigger".... You know... Kinda like their slogan for the line.

Well my dad had a saying for that, " you can't fix..." I'm sure you know the rest of that.

How confusing... pardon me but you come across bitter and not a happy consumer. Yet you still buy them. Um,, yea ima confused. :wtf: lol

Hoth_My_Fav
03-19-2015, 01:42 AM
This is SO too easy........but it IS very tempting!

I'm sitting on my hands right now..

There is a dealer who keeps dropping prices on the Hoth Rebels. Should be coming into the low gammie price.

sotoam
03-19-2015, 10:50 AM
How confusing... pardon me but you come across bitter and not a happy consumer. Yet you still buy them. Um,, yea ima confused. :wtf: lol

I buy the ones I like; that don't come out looking horrible; needless to say, I haven't bought many recently. And I don't buy them from GG for their over-inflated prices. The only way I'd get this TIE Fighter Pilot is if it cost about the same as the shampoo 12" figures that Hasbro sells for $10. This figure is SO bad, it might just end up dropping to that price. :)

bigbarada
09-24-2015, 02:23 PM
I bought this guy off of eBay and it just arrived today. Mine has the same problems as gijigsaw's photos above with the uneven shoulders and warped helmet. Kind of a bummer. This is the first one of these figures that I've bought and will probably be the last (unless they decide to make Barada). I stopped collecting Gentle Giant stuff because of quality issues with their mini-busts years ago; but I thought I would give them another shot here. Unfortunately, it's the same quality control issues all over again, where the production piece is a pale shadow of the prototype images.

Ah well, overall the item looks big and impressive inside the packaging, when you're standing across the room and not examining it too closely, so I will probably keep him sealed up for now.

Just a question for those who own these figures, how easy is it to get them back in the packaging once you take them out?

Kevin_Lentz
09-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Just a question for those who own these figures, how easy is it to get them back in the packaging once you take them out?

Very easy. I initially bought both versions of Han (big and little head) and opened them both for display. I ended up trading the big head to a friend, and it popped right back into the inner bubble with no problems for him to display with the card, clamshell, etc.

Hoth_My_Fav
11-09-2015, 10:22 PM
So I recently acquired this guy. Very happy with the price that I bought him at *(WAY LESS than issue price) and very happy with how he looks. This is a sort of mini review/ thoughts-

Some have complained that he has a matte finish rather than glossy, compared to the original. So I pulled out my original TIE fighter pilot and compared him to the Jumbo but let me change the conversation here to what I have in mind, I'll get back later to the complaining and issues a few in the community have with this Jumbo.

To me, the TIE fighter pilot is one my favorite figures from the vintage star wars toy line. I always thought this black figure with his impressive helmet with ensignias on both sides, protruding mask and support system on his front chest was very impressive and just gave this figure a big cool factor. It was a figure that I would both play with a lot and yet also take very good condition of, viewing it has one of my favorite toys to play with.

When I found out that Gentle Giant was releasing the TIE fighter Pilot in jumbo form I was elated and on board with buying one. This to me was an easy purchase and I decided I would look for one after giving it some time to hit the market. So what was the allure for me?

Getting this favorite figure, all in black, sans his gloves and boots, with his very stylish and cool helmet in Jumbo size was just what the doctor ordered. Just think about it, an already cool figure but now blown up in size? How can one pass that up, especially if you are into the TIE fighter pilots?

The Gentle Giant Jumbo TIE fighter pilot does exactly what I want it to do and that is bring out the detail and impressive look of this vintage figure. From his large sized helmet, to the ensignias to the flexible tubes on his chest, THIS is what gets my interest and satisfies my interest in Gentle Giants TIE Fighter pilot jumbo figure. Proudly he stands, towering over all, in fact with his sleek black look his coolness factor is cooler than the coldest Samsung refrigerator and it seems as if there isnt a dog fight he can't win in his TIE fighter.

Now let us talk briefly about why a few folks dont like the TIE fighter pilot. One issue you might hear about is the lack of a gloss finish on this figure. A small minority have said this figure isnt worth getting because its finish is matte and not glossy. To their point, you can see the difference in the vintage figure and the Gentle Giant figure. However, I ask this- does the lack of gloss and shine take away from the fact that Gentle Giant still has done an excellent job in bringing out the details of this fan favorite figure? My answer is NO.

When I buy these Gentle Giant figures it is to capture the essence of what made these figures my favorites. I am not concentrated on the finish. What is important is having a reproduction blown up, biggie sized, super sized and of course yes,, the JUMBO factor. The size of these brings out the details and my recollection of these figures while playing with them was NOT their finish but rather the details they had ON them.

So in conclusion a fan of the TIE fighter pilot cannot go wrong by buying this Jumbo. Matte finish or not, if you loved the vintage figure then you will truly like the Gentle Giant TIE fighter pilot. I want to end this by thanking Gentle Giant for putting out such a beauty of a figure. B)

TheGoodDr
11-09-2015, 11:18 PM
My main gripe with this figure is his wonky shoulders. His left arm is clearly positioned lower than his right: Rebelscum Star Wars Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/Gentle-Giant-Ltd/Imperial-TIE-Fighter-Pilot-Jumbo-Kenner-Gentle-Giant/IMAGE5.asp)

sotoam
11-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Now let us talk briefly about why a few folks dont like the TIE fighter pilot. One issue you might hear about is the lack of a gloss finish on this figure. A small minority have said this figure isnt worth getting because its finish is matte and not glossy. To their point, you can see the difference in the vintage figure and the Gentle Giant figure. However, I ask this- does the lack of gloss and shine take away from the fact that Gentle Giant still has done an excellent job in bringing out the details of this fan favorite figure?

Yes, it does. I like the vintage TIE Pilot. It was cool, to me, it had the same WOW factor as when seeing them in the movies. It's a cool looking representation of a cool looking character in the movies. The gloss helps with that. The matte finish on this is just really bad. Really bad. This reminds me more of a clay gnome or something that'd you'd see in someone's garden, not the TIE Pilot.

When I buy these Gentle Giant figures it is to capture the essence of what made these figures my favorites. I am not concentrated on the finish. What is important is having a reproduction blown up, biggie sized, super sized and of course yes,, the JUMBO factor. The size of these brings out the details and my recollection of these figures while playing with them was NOT their finish but rather the details they had ON them.

I'm glad you are not concerned. This line is perfect for you then. When GG was advertising this line, their tag line has been

Just like they were when you were a kid, only BIGGER!

That's an exact quote from their website. Take a look... Biker Scout Jumbo Figure The 3D Studio (http://www.the3dstudio.com/biker-scout-jumbo-figure)

That tag line is what got a lot of people interested in the line. What's worse is that when they'd show them at conventions, the sample DID look just like bigger versions of the originals, but when people received them? Ugh! These are not just like when I was a kid. Their marketing for it should be more like

Just like when you were a kid, only BIGGER, and with a dull finish, and extra detail where there never was detail, and some of the characters went on a SlimFast diet, and don't EVEN ask us what we did with the capes... But REALLY... just like when you were a kid.

Hoth_My_Fav
11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Yes, it does. I like the vintage TIE Pilot. It was cool, to me, it had the same WOW factor as when seeing them in the movies. It's a cool looking representation of a cool looking character in the movies. The gloss helps with that. The matte finish on this is just really bad. Really bad. This reminds me more of a clay gnome or something that'd you'd see in someone's garden, not the TIE Pilot.

I'm glad you are not concerned. This line is perfect for you then. When GG was advertising this line, their tag line has been

Just like they were when you were a kid, only BIGGER!

That's an exact quote from their website. Take a look... Biker Scout Jumbo Figure The 3D Studio (http://www.the3dstudio.com/biker-scout-jumbo-figure)

That tag line is what got a lot of people interested in the line. What's worse is that when they'd show them at conventions, the sample DID look just like bigger versions of the originals, but when people received them? Ugh! These are not just like when I was a kid. Their marketing for it should be more like

Just like when you were a kid, only BIGGER, and with a dull finish, and extra detail where there never was detail, and some of the characters went on a SlimFast diet, and don't EVEN ask us what we did with the capes... But REALLY... just like when you were a kid.

I disgree, the TIE fighter pilot looks 1,000 times better than a clay gnome. The fact that it has a matte finish doesnt take away from the coolness factor this jumbo has.

sotoam
11-12-2015, 02:50 PM
I disgree, the TIE fighter pilot looks 1,000 times better than a clay gnome. The fact that it has a matte finish doesnt take away from the coolness factor this jumbo has.

I said it reminds me of one. I didn't say it looks like one. The problem is that you are comparing it to a clay gnome now; I compare it to the TIE pilot figure. And it looks way worse with a matte finish.

JediJones77
11-22-2015, 04:34 AM
$59.83 on Amazon now with free ship.

Hoth_My_Fav
11-24-2015, 02:11 AM
$59.83 on Amazon now with free ship.

what a great price.... I love how if you wait patiently for these, and you wait for the ones you want, you can get a great price, provided the demand wasnt too strong as was for some of the rarer ones that really went higher in value from their initial release. This is pretty much what I paid for mine, 60 bucks is a great price!

bigbarada
01-30-2016, 10:31 AM
My main gripe with this figure is his wonky shoulders. His left arm is clearly positioned lower than his right: Rebelscum Star Wars Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/Gentle-Giant-Ltd/Imperial-TIE-Fighter-Pilot-Jumbo-Kenner-Gentle-Giant/IMAGE5.asp)

Yeah, the matte finish and skinnyness of the figure are totally secondary to what was clearly a mold failure. It looks like part of the torso mold collapsed at some point and, instead of fixing it, Gentle Giant just ran with it. I didn't pay $80 for a lazy, cheap, bootleg-quality version of a vintage Kenner figure. As has been mentioned before, these were advertised as being exact replicas of the vintage figures, so that's what I expected to receive.

The TIE Pilot has been one of my favorite vintage figures for decades now, so I was highly anticipating this release. In fact, it has been the only figure from this line so far that prompted me to actually pull the trigger on the purchase. I've admired other Jumbo Vintage figures in the past, but this was the first one that I actually felt that I needed to buy. Unfortunately, it seems to have been a nearly catastrophic failure on GG's part and the fact that they actually approved this item for release shows that they really don't care about quality.

I gave up on Gentle Giant nearly a decade ago because of quality control issues and this purchase has really just proven to me that I should have stayed away.

Glitch
01-31-2016, 01:50 PM
^

Yep. That's the same road many of us traveled with these things. Some are REALLY good (R2, 3PO, Death Star Droid), but most have varying degrees of flaws. I'm really sad to hear that the lone figure you were looking forward to ended up in the crap camp along with Bossk, the Sand People, Leia, Vader, Chewbacca, Skinny Wampa, etc...

bigbarada
02-01-2016, 07:19 AM
^

Yep. That's the same road many of us traveled with these things. Some are REALLY good (R2, 3PO, Death Star Droid), but most have varying degrees of flaws. I'm really sad to hear that the lone figure you were looking forward to ended up in the crap camp along with Bossk, the Sand People, Leia, Vader, Chewbacca, Skinny Wampa, etc...

Bossk would have been the other one that I would have wanted; but, as you said, GG dropped the ball big time on his figure too. At this point, the only figures Gentle Giant could make in this line that would get me to reconsider would be Barada, but I have a feeling that's one that GG plans to skip over.

Glitch
02-03-2016, 01:47 AM
At this point, the only figures Gentle Giant could make in this line that would get me to reconsider would be Barada, but I have a feeling that's one that GG plans to skip over.

It would literally be a bigbarada.

Mind = blown.

o-o

PizzatheHut
02-16-2016, 04:24 PM
$55 at Amazon. Excellent price.

Hoth_My_Fav
02-17-2016, 11:16 AM
$55 at Amazon. Excellent price.

WOW you arent kidding. I agree, excellent price, was hovering around 60 a few months ago..

PizzatheHut
07-11-2016, 09:23 AM
If you still don't have it, $54.88 at Amazon.

CraigMac
07-11-2016, 05:52 PM
If you still don't have it, $54.88 at Amazon.

Plus free shipping with Prime. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk