PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question I'm sure....

UBSK
02-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Why is it when someone is selling something on this forum and they accept PayPal, they feel the need to charge extra for using PayPal so the buyer protection is in effect?
When I sell something to a customer of mine, I don't make them pay the credit card fees for doing business with me. I would build that overhead into my price. It's like saying, "PayPal only! but only if it protects me the seller, you have to pay extra for that protection"
I'm kind of confused by this and notice that not everyone does it as they understand it to be the cost of doing business.
If I'm supposed to trust you and send it "Friends and Family", why don't we just cut out PayPal all together and I'll send you a personal cheque?
Yeah, that'll happen.
Just wondering...

gumbo
02-26-2014, 12:58 AM
I think some members are against the whole Ebay virtual monopoly on Paypal and don't want to pay fees to Ebay/PP as a "fight the man" response to fee hikes, etc.

I for one am great with the service that offers buyer protection and tracking, etc. so I will render unto Ceasar what is his.

You may find a more active discussion if you move this to the watch-out section in vintage or I think there may be an Ebay discussion thread somewhere.

I'm only vs. buyers that want a $20 figure for $5, etc.

pohatu771
02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't expect buyers to cover my fees either. I have been on forums where sellers are not allowed to ask you to cover their fees. I brought it up here before, but it is not a popular point to make.

If a seller asks me to pay as a gift, or asks me to cover fees, I move on to another seller, unless it's some item I will have a hard time finding again.

If they don't mention anything, I will send a payment and split the fees, or if it is someone I have dealt with before, I might send it as a gift.

UBSK
02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys...I appreciate it.

justabigkid
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
I avoid any seller who posts to make payment as a gift. IF I were selling and were that adamant about not paying the fees i would just work it into the asking price instead.

xjsn
02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
My take on this and this is solely my personal opinion is that I am not here selling to really make much. Most of what I sell I offer at prices I paid or a tad more depending on the value of the figure as such I don't really want to pay fees. I generally approach it as make the gift payment or toss in a few more bucks to use the goods or payments option. In my opinion it saves everyone a bit of money since I don't have to work in the fee on the items price. I am not out to take advantage of anyone. Anything I am not really interested in keeping I want to get out to a fellow collector for a decent price. I think the use of feedback threads really helps this little "community" thrive without the need for protection from PayPal.

DarthFather
03-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree with xjsn.
I would also like to throw in that I am not a merchant who marks items up to cover such expenses as gas, time, PayPal fees and packaging.
I do not see an issue asking someone to cover PP fees since there are not mark ups that are passed onto the buyer.

DJ121
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Agreed. I usually don't make a huge profit, if any at all on items I sell. I would prefer to be paid with the gift option, but I am also one of those sellers who is willing to work with someone if they have an issue, or can prove the item never arrived. So for me to have to pay a fee on an item I only made a dollar or two on, almost doesn't justify me selling it. I don't charger for my time, gas or material fees either.

I am not about to turn anyone away who choses not to pay as a gift, but I would hope that they would at least be kind enough to throw in an extra buck or two to help with the fees.