PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader - Dagobah Test - #07

GNT
01-28-2014, 01:46 AM
Coming soon is a Darth Vader (Yoda's test) figure with Luke's face underneath, what does everyone think about this one?
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/600/vader140.jpg

Who's looking forward to this one?

Darth_Bones
01-28-2014, 03:25 AM
I am, if it's SA and if similar or better quality than the rest of TBS figures we've been getting!!!

Trooper31
01-28-2014, 03:29 AM
I don't have a Dagobah Vader, so this is a nice one, although I'm getting tired of so many Vaders in this line.

BlackRook
01-28-2014, 03:45 AM
I don't have a Dagobah Vader, so this is a nice one, although I'm getting tired of so many Vaders in this line.
Yeah, this is a version that needed an update, but this is already the third Vader in this line already. He really needs a break.

Rune_Haako
01-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Yay, another Vader figure we don't need.

Trooper31
01-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Whether Vader sells or not, three different ones within 5 waves of a collector line is way too many. Stormtroopers and Boba Fetts sell just as well.

Like I said, I don't have this Vader and it's nice to get him, but he wasn't even on my wishlist, so you can tell how high a priority he was for me.

Idpullthecurtain
01-28-2014, 06:06 AM
As quick cheap updates go, I reckon this is a great one. It was nice to see Emperors Wrath get redone recently. So its great to see this one coming soon too.

Rocket_Back
01-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Agreed - this is an update I actually kind of wanted just because it's a significant scene and the old one is very lacking next to recent plastic incarnations of the character. Look at it this way...they're going to keep putting Vaders out there, so we might as well keep our fingers crossed for more unique versions of the character. Trouble is, I can't think of anymore after this one. Not much else they can do but continue to improve on old Vaders we've already got - upgrading the hip articulation on the ESB and ROTJ suits, giving him a clip for a lightsaber hilt, and maybe eliminating the fabric "chain."

EnigmaticOne
01-28-2014, 06:23 PM
I must have read the posted 'rumour' list wrong. Ehh I might be up for this vader, Dagobah is a favourite planet of mine. I couldn't click 'Yoda' and 'Vader' together lol, at least I know which Vader it is.

DarthJefe
01-28-2014, 07:05 PM
If they can get that "slightly spectral" look the POTJ version had, that would be great. I must say that after this, Vader single-carded figures better be put to bed for a good while.

tanksmasher
01-28-2014, 09:06 PM
I'd be more excited about getting another Vader if we're getting a heck of lot more other figures.

General_Solo76
01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
I'd be more excited about getting another Vader if we're getting a heck of lot more other figures.

I don't know man. He's one of my favorite characters, but I don't think we need any more for quite some time, and even then, only if it would be much improved.

Droidworld
01-29-2014, 12:26 AM
If they can get that "slightly spectral" look the POTJ version had, that would be great. I must say that after this, Vader single-carded figures better be put to bed for a good while.

And I LOVED the Luke face in the mask.

Larsonator
01-29-2014, 12:50 AM
I'll probably get it.

DarkArtist
01-29-2014, 09:01 AM
as long as it's an amazing looking figure I'll pick it up....otherwise I think Hasbro has too much Vader on the Brain and really needs to tone it back on the Vader Front already. 3 in 5 waves is INSANE

Michael_Knight
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM

After an ESB version is given the Vintage treatment like ANH Vader.

mandalorehunter
01-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't think we need a new vader right now. We already got Bespin vader and it appears there is another one on the way with super articulated legs. I wish they would spread this out a little bit more. I understand that Vader is a critical character but if they really want to keep him on the shelves, they should just keep it up in a greatest hits or saga legends type line.

MysterioMaximus
01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
I always found the POTJ Dagobah Vader to be one of the coolest they ever produced. The slight translucence, the removable head, the removable mask piece with Luke's face under it. I would love to see all this done again just with modernized articulation and sculpting. And hopefully this will lead to a new Spirit Obi Wan and Anakin (Shaw - not Hayden).

Masterfett
01-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Another PASS! I haven't needed a Vader since ROTS made him SA, I especially don't need him three more times in TBS line!
Heck I' never need to buy another Vader ever again!

Trooper31
01-30-2014, 05:30 AM
as long as it's an amazing looking figure I'll pick it up....otherwise I think Hasbro has too much Vader on the Brain and really needs to tone it back on the Vader Front already. 3 in 5 waves is INSANE

Agreed. This is a collectors' line, yet they still try to stuff it with figures kids want. Unfortunately, the TBS figures cost more than the kids' line, so which parents are really going to spend more for these figures??

Obi_Wan_Kaboozie
01-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Normally I'm in full agreement about too many Vaders, but this is a particular update I've been wanting to see for a long time. I missed out on the PotJ version and always lamented it. So I greet this one with open arms.

Trooper31
01-30-2014, 08:11 AM
I think people have less of a problem with this Vader, yet they wonder why we needed an ROTS Vader as well. The Bespin Vader was something cool for that scene. This Vader needed an update/re-release, but did anybody really need an ROTS Vader?

I'm sure they had him planned for the film waves, but it would have been smarter to put him in wave 3 as the 6th figure and then added a smart repack for wave 4 with maybe a Snowtrooper or Rebel Trooper.

SnTrooper
01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
but did anybody really need an ROTS Vader?Yes. The only two we got in 2005 are not even close to being up to par.
http://www.rebelscum.com/rots0511vader.asp
http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS05dlxvader.asp

Should they have spaced out these Vaders more? Yes, definitely. But at least these two are of versions that really needed resculpts.

Idpullthecurtain
01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't think we need a new vader right now. We already got Bespin vader and it appears there is another one on the way with super articulated legs. I wish they would spread this out a little bit more. I understand that Vader is a critical character but if they really want to keep him on the shelves, they should just keep it up in a greatest hits or saga legends type line.

I dont think you been paying attention..... ;)

Oddball_Fett
01-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Meh, this one holds no interest for me personally. Dio guys may like it though.

BlackRook
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Normally I'm in full agreement about too many Vaders, but this is a particular update I've been wanting to see for a long time. I missed out on the PotJ version and always lamented it. So I greet this one with open arms.

I think it would've been better if they'd waited on this one a bit. Or better yet, made this one instead of the dining room Vader. Or that wonky looking "Star Destroyer Vader" with the BJ hips that we're getting.

Scarrviper
01-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Depending on the execution I might be interested in this one. Never had the potj version, and I do like that scene.

Jon_Dowe_Nunk02
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
As I've just stated on the Han Solo search for Luke Thread, According to Jedi News this figure is now on display at NYTF?

JACKOFTRADZE
02-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Any pics posted yet?

Jon_Dowe_Nunk02
02-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Any pics posted yet?

No! only the report, which is a great shame.

Sybeck1
02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Jedi News - Latest: TFNY 2014: More 3.75" Black Series Figures (http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=15569)

Still no pics?

RebelTrooper
02-17-2014, 12:46 AM
He who cannot be seen.

Idpullthecurtain
02-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Jedi News - Latest: TFNY 2014: More 3.75" Black Series Figures (http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=15569)

Still no pics?

So clearly Jedinews was wrong about those 2 figures? I do hope they get put out before the Fair ends, maybe today?

ZX3
02-23-2014, 01:40 PM
I like the POTJ version, but it with its few points of articulation and hard plastic cape it either stands up with its head chopped off or lays down with its legs straight and feet straight up. Either pose is fairly comical so I actually wouldn't mind a super articulated version of this one.

GNT
07-12-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm holding out it'll be semi clear with Luke's head, it might be the only way I'll pick it up.

tanksmasher
07-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I'll get this if the head sculpt is decent. Hopefully it will be last Vader we see for a while.

Shadow_Imperium
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Watch this be the one to finally have a decent lightsaber holding right hand... well, out of OT Vaders anyway.

Droidworld
07-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm holding out it'll be semi clear with Luke's head, it might be the only way I'll pick it up.

Luke's head is a must. Being semi clear, not-so-much. He moves oddly, but is not a see-through ghost in the film. Just because the last, excellent, Dagobah Vader was semi-translucent, does not mean this one should be IMO.

GNT
07-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Luke's face is way too big for the figure, it's as if they've stuck a 6" Luke head on a 3inch Vader body. :(

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/600/vader140.jpg

TheForce5
07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Nice to see they pulled out all the stops on this. :whistling:

patrickdurfee
07-25-2014, 06:35 PM
The head is too big or something.

Darth_Brett
07-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Looks like it's just superimposed in the mask using photoshop. I wish they'd ditch this sculpt and give us an ESB/RotJ Vader using the VC AnH and BS RotS Vader's as a base. The fabric chain never fails to make the figure look cheap.

I did want this version of Vader updated since the original was nearly 15 years old. I don't know, I think the horrible reveal today has really but a huge damper on my excitement for this line now. How can you get excited for figures in a line that you have no idea if Hasbro wants to seriously continue for the foreseeable future??

RuleOfTwo
07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
We've seen so many Vader's more so than we can count. Enough with these kit-bashed Vader figures and bring us something new!

Snaggletooth
07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
It looks really odd displayed with the head on, as we never saw that in the film. Should have been displayed with the head on the ground, and Vader maybe kneeling or prone.

And, yeah, the head's too big. :\

Wishing_Well
07-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Looks like a girl

DarthJefe
07-25-2014, 07:01 PM
IT is an improvement, at least. But I'm all Vadered out after this one.

TK_842
07-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Head does indeed look inflated. Is Luke suffocating :P

GNT
07-25-2014, 08:11 PM
The figure at SDCC actually looks better then the promo pic from Hasbro, here's the picture from Rebelscum:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/600/medium/vader.png

stylie_steve
07-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Would have been nice if he was a bit transparent like the POTJ figure to make him seem more like a apparition.

Darth_Brett
07-25-2014, 08:23 PM
That looks much better! The panel slide looks like it is just badly photshopped.

I'm not sure he should be translucent at all, though...in the movie he looks normal and isn't glowing or see-through. He's not a ghost. And the action was just played in slow-motion to convey to the audience that it's not actually really Vader.

Price_Tagge
07-25-2014, 08:34 PM
I'll probably pass on this guy but he's not bad. I would've preferred the "revealing" head to just be an accessory to the last ESB Vader for efficiency's sake, but others probably wouldn't have liked that choice.

I didn't see this in the last few pages of this figure, but this head is going to be removable, right? Same as the Vader body in Wave 1 of TVC, so yeah, I think I just answered my own question.

Tyranusspotting
07-26-2014, 06:08 AM
I think I will stick to the original POTJ sculpt, which is still one of my favourite unique Vader figures.

TK_842
07-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Yeah, wondering what guys in charge of the official pics are on. This display sample looks a lot better.

Snaggletooth
07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
So... the head is not removable? :wtf:

Has anyone at Hasbro seen the film? :rolleyes:

Droidworld
07-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Has anyone at Hasbro seen the film? :rolleyes:

we know it's not removable for sure? The weird long neck makes me think they are still figuring it out.

Darth_Brett
07-26-2014, 01:45 PM
In JediDefenders interview they say the booth sample does in fact have a remivable head. But then they said, with no explanation as to why, that the final production figure won't have the removable head feature.Clueless...absolutely clueless Hasbro is I tell you. lol

CustomJedi
07-26-2014, 01:58 PM
I could get past yet another Vader, but not if the head doesn't come off. That's the whole point to this particular version.

TK_842
07-26-2014, 02:41 PM
It will most lukely end up being a BJ head anyway. Not sure those rep doing interviews really know anything about their product in depth.

mandalorehunter
07-31-2014, 11:36 PM
the last vader I actually cared for was the emperor lightning attack vader.

Darth_Brett
08-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Wasn't the '08 LC Vader's head removable? That's how this one should be.

darth_sidious
08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Would have been nice if he was a bit transparent like the POTJ figure to make him seem more like a apparition.

I agree, that's one of the features that made the POTJ version stand out as something other than a normal Vader figure. No chance I'll be buying this, I have the POTJ version, which I think is much better.

Idpullthecurtain
08-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I agree, that's one of the features that made the POTJ version stand out as something other than a normal Vader figure. No chance I'll be buying this, I have the POTJ version, which I think is much better.

But that would be screen inaccurate. The old one looked cool, until I realised it didnt look like that in the film.

King_D
08-01-2014, 11:54 PM

Every head is removeable, all you need is a sharp piece of metal ;)

Idpullthecurtain
08-02-2014, 05:02 AM
Every head is removeable, all you need is a sharp piece of metal ;)

​it would be pretty bizarre if it isn't designed to come off. I am sure it is. They have given some very weird answers to questions at conventions before

rook
08-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't understand why there is question about the head being removable. Bespin Trap and Emperors Wrath figures both have removable heads. The head simply plugs into the torso.

Scarrviper
08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
So far not too impressed by this one, and I was looking forward to seeing it redone since I never had the potj version. Will have to see it finished. It would be silly if the head was not removable.

Michael_Knight
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
They should have used the new mold that just created for the ROTS release repainted for ESB. This mold is so tiresome.

tanksmasher
08-04-2014, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=GNT;19436189]The figure at SDCC actually looks better then the promo pic from Hasbro, here's the picture from Rebelscum:

QUOTE]
I could go for him if he turns out like that photo. Much better looking there.

GNT
02-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Darth Vader (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS24295&mode=retail) is up for pre-order on BBTS individually as well as in a wave case of 7 (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS24292&mode=retail) or 12 (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS24291&mode=retail)

GNT
03-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Andrewtoyz (https://www.facebook.com/andrewstoyz) has a carded picture up of the new Darth Vader:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/600/medium/vader145.jpg

JVM
03-20-2015, 03:35 AM
It's kind of weird to go back after the ROTS Vader, which had not only additional articuation, but different proportions and reverted the use of the chain and cloth underrobes. Still, I missed the POTJ version so there's a chance this might end up an impulse buy. Hope the facepiece sticks in.

Glitch
03-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Brutal.

I thought we saw the last off that ridiculous silver string floating around the neck.

Droidworld
03-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Still, I missed the POTJ version so there's a chance this might end up an impulse buy. Hope the facepiece sticks in.

The POTJ is better in several ways, and still available second hand. Strange that the sculpt of Luke's face is worse than on such an old figure. If you want a good Luke likeness, with a tight but removable face piece, get the old one. If you want modern articulation, get the new one.

Mike_S
03-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Brutal.

I thought we saw the last off that ridiculous silver string floating around the neck.

I don't get the "chain" thing at all.
Hasbro, get off the happy smoke!

Vader's chain is really quite subtle.
This thing looks absolutely stupid.

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/star-wars-darth-vader.jpeg

EddieU
03-22-2015, 11:43 AM
The POTJ is better in several ways, and still available second hand. Strange that the sculpt of Luke's face is worse than on such an old figure. If you want a good Luke likeness, with a tight but removable face piece, get the old one. If you want modern articulation, get the new one.

Not only all that, but I just scanned eBay quickly, and there are a bunch of buy-it-nows for the still-carded POTJ figure that are cheaper (with or without free shipping) than the $10.99-$12.99 Black Series figure will be...

Maverick10126
03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Not only all that, but I just scanned eBay quickly, and there are a bunch of buy-it-nows for the still-carded POTJ figure that are cheaper (with or without free shipping) than the $10.99-$12.99 Black Series figure will be...

The POTJ figure is great, has a great Vader cape. Not everyone is a plastic cape fan but the way that cape is shaped... it's probably the most accurate of the plastic capes in replicating the way Vader's cape draped. Too many of the other ones were thrown over the shoulders, blowing in the wind or swept to the side.

Internets
03-28-2015, 05:08 AM
The best Vader cape (and probably best Vader all round) is the one that came with the interrogation droid.

lordtyrannus
03-28-2015, 10:36 AM
The Luke face is gigantic, and the neck is too long. This figure looks ridiculous unfortunately. At least there's no silver chain though, lol.

GNT
03-28-2015, 05:58 PM
The Luke face is gigantic, and the neck is too long. This figure looks ridiculous unfortunately. At least there's no silver chain though, lol.

I'm sticking with the POTJ version, it's plastic but it looks great plus the head is in scale with the body unlike this release.

lordtyrannus
03-28-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm sticking with the POTJ version, it's plastic but it looks great plus the head is in scale with the body unlike this release.

I will as well. I enjoy the semi-translucent look on the POTJ figure, even if it isn't quite movie accurate. The likeness of the Luke face is also much better.

Droidworld
03-28-2015, 09:26 PM
JediInsider.com - Star Wars News Previews and Reviews (http://jediinsider.com/images.php?dispsize=600&mode=view&album=Finds/Black_Series_Wave_7&pic=Black_Series_Dagobah_Training_Vader_03.jpg&mode=view&sl=8|16320)

Look's even worse with the mask piece on. Again, WTF Hasbro. They are losing it.

Michael_Knight
03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
JediInsider.com - Star Wars News Previews and Reviews (http://jediinsider.com/images.php?dispsize=600&mode=view&album=Finds/Black_Series_Wave_7&pic=Black_Series_Dagobah_Training_Vader_03.jpg&mode=view&sl=8|16320)

Look's even worse with the mask piece on. Again, WTF Hasbro. They are losing it.

Bah, kill it with fire.

Montross
03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Disappointing!

GNT
03-29-2015, 04:56 AM

Hasbro lost it long time ago...and at this rate will never get their Star Wars mojo back, yeah baby yeah. *Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90h2gLgTz5g)*

Devaronian
03-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Wow, awful. The POTJ figure defecates on that from quite a height. Wish I hadn't lost the removable facemask part of that figure.

Julythrunov
03-29-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm having a very hard time not believing that the down hill direction of the collector line is very very intentional.

Droidworld
03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm having a very hard time not believing that the down hill direction of the collector line is very very intentional.

Why intentional? Purposefully making terrible figures?

lordtyrannus
03-30-2015, 05:59 AM

I don't think that it's intentional. But, it's pretty obvious that the care and attention is just no longer there.

Tyranusspotting
03-30-2015, 10:35 AM
POTJ Dagobah Cave Spirit (2001) >>>> this... effort (2015)

Maverick10126
03-30-2015, 10:53 AM
POTJ Dagobah Cave Spirit (2001) >>>> this... effort (2015)

The face actually looked quite a bit like Luke too.

my_kind_of_scum
03-30-2015, 04:24 PM
Wow. This really turned out awful, didn't it? Yikes.

Glitch
03-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Looking at this thing, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

Sorry, laughing wins.

:awesome:

TheForce5
03-31-2015, 09:24 PM
Wow. This really turned out awful, didn't it? Yikes.

It certainly seems that way.

Maverick10126
04-01-2015, 12:48 PM
I guess Dagobah Luke needed someone to fight for worst executed figure. Funny that they are both Dagobah figures and they did in fact fight....

Darth_Brett
04-01-2015, 01:15 PM
I'll buy the figure for just the head alone, even though we'll have to remove it ourselves since Hasbro failed to...really?!?! Anyways, we never see Luke's face inside the helmet until Vader's decapitated, so I don't really need to display the figure. This figure is basically a glorified accessory for me.

Maverick10126
04-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I'll buy the figure for just the head alone, even though we'll have to remove it ourselves since Hasbro failed to...really?!?! Anyways, we never see Luke's face inside the helmet until Vader's decapitated, so I don't really need to display the figure. This figure is basically a glorified accessory for me.

Why not just get the POTJ figure for the head instead?

Darth_Brett
04-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Why not just get the POTJ figure for the head instead?

Already have that one. I'm guessing the scale is off and I want to at least give this one a try first. A lot of times these things look way worse in photos than they do in-hand.

matto
04-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Why intentional? Purposefully making terrible figures?

So they can say "look the collectors are not buying the SA figures. We should just go with 5POAs."

Montross
04-02-2015, 08:42 PM
That makes absolutely no financial business sense. I'm not defending the sub-par quality of the collector-focus line, it has very definite issues, but to suggest that Hasbro would invest in the cost to produce these just to kill the line is ludicrous. The cost doesn't justify the risk. If they wanted to end the line, they would just end it... vintage collection, anybody?

GNT
04-02-2015, 09:00 PM
If they end the SA line they know there's going to be backlash, from a business standpoint the better option would to go the 5POA line since the figures don't require as many parts to make. It saves them money and they can make a greater amount in no time at all.

Idpullthecurtain
04-03-2015, 03:38 AM
Already have that one. I'm guessing the scale is off and I want to at least give this one a try first. A lot of times these things look way worse in photos than they do in-hand.

from what I have seen I will be just sticking with the POTJ figure. It's still a great figure and the new version doesn't have that cool transparent element to it.

Maverick10126
04-03-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm really surprised they didn't use the new ROTS body as a base. Seems like the consensus is that one is a winner.

Droidworld
04-03-2015, 10:35 AM

Devil's advocate here..... If you are displaying the head on the ground, away from the body, the scale of the head to the body won't matter too much. Besides, the POTJ Vader head is still a good size. It's the modern figures that have the tiny helmets.

Maverick10126
04-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Devil's advocate here..... If you are displaying the head on the ground, away from the body, the scale of the head to the body won't matter too much. Besides, the POTJ Vader head is still a good size. It's the modern figures that have the tiny helmets.

Yes, one of the reasons I love the 25th Anniversary/02 Saga Bespin head sculpt. Yes it's ANH in style but it has a good size to it that's lacking in a lot of newer Vader heads. It looks identical to the Commtech/MOTDS Vader except slightly larger.

Darth_Brett
04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
from what I have seen I will be just sticking with the POTJ figure. It's still a great figure and the new version doesn't have that cool transparent element to it.

That was one of the reasons I thought that figure was flawed, though...in the movie he is not transparent at all. He's not a ghost. He's just a figment of Luke's imagination. But I can understand why people like that effect on the figure.

Well, you may be right, but I am going to purchase him and find out firsthand if that is the case. The POTJ figure's head is nice, but I still think the BS figure's head will be more accurate scale-wise. We shall see!

Darth_Brett
04-03-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm really surprised they didn't use the new ROTS body as a base. Seems like the consensus is that one is a winner.

Yes to this! Although technically any OT Vader should be a bit more bulky and beefier. The ROTS figure's arms and legs are slightly scrawny, obviously Hayden was not built like Mr Prowse was. OT Vader should have a hulking body-builder's physique underneath that black outfit. But I digress, I love the new ROTS Vader figure, too! And I agree some components of it should be used as a base for an ESB/ROTJ Vader. I still really love the ANH Vintage Collection Vader we got a few years ago, too.

Maverick10126
04-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Yes to this! Although technically any OT Vader should be a bit more bulky and beefier. The ROTS figure's arms and legs are slightly scrawny, obviously Hayden was not built like Mr Prowse was. OT Vader should have a hulking body-builder's physique underneath that black outfit. But I digress, I love the new ROTS Vader figure, too! And I agree some components of it should be used as a base for an ESB/ROTJ Vader. I still really love the ANH Vintage Collection Vader we got a few years ago, too.

That was what I loved about the POTJ Spirit Vader. I really feel that as a profile he nails the proportions of OT Vader. His overall build seems to be one of the most accurate. He also had the best shaped plastic cape. No unnecessary blown in the wind look. He was great figure that should have been a staple of the line at the time.

lordtyrannus
04-11-2015, 07:47 AM
Check out JTA's in-hand comparison photo:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/galleries/2015/Review_DarthVaderDagobahTestTBS/pages/Review_DarthVaderDagobahTestTBS023.html

I actually like the new one better than the POTJ now. What's going on here?!?

Droidworld
04-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Check out JTA's in-hand comparison photo:

Jedi Temple Archives: Research Droids Reviews Gallery (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/galleries/2015/Review_DarthVaderDagobahTestTBS/pages/Review_DarthVaderDagobahTestTBS023.html)

I actually like the new one better than the POTJ now. What's going on here?!?

It is great to see them side by side, but the Vader likeness and especially the Luke likeness is better with that much older figure. They both have see-through capes though. ;)

Vorax
04-11-2015, 10:22 AM
I like the newer figure. The older Luke looks like an albino monkey and I remember Leia and Luke from the POTJ line often came out bad, not that Hasbro has fared that well as far as likenesses go as they're hit and miss and not consistent even after they got it right.

Michael_Knight
04-11-2015, 11:15 AM
If he had the new ROTS Vader body I would have pulled the trigger. That old Vader body is so tired. I am near certain it has seen at least 40 something releases without being an exaggeration.

tanksmasher
04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Nice face but I hate those hands.

Internets
04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
If he had the new ROTS Vader body I would have pulled the trigger. That old Vader body is so tired. I am near certain it has seen at least 40 something releases without being an exaggeration.

I have a spare so I might try headswapping.

Lord_Atmo
04-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I just can't justify owning yet another Evolutions Vader with a few tweaks. The sculpt always impressed me, but it's been a decade now. He's been replaced

Internets
04-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Got this from Viperskingdom. Head seems a bit. Like it should sit lower but there is no way that it can : /

swCollector_Dan
05-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Personally think the figure looks pretty decent

http://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050a1s.jpghttp://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050a2_1s.jpghttp://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050f2s.jpghttp://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050f2ls.jpghttp://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050fbs.jpghttp://starwarscollector.com/photo/black_series_basic/dv_test_82342050/82342050pic/82342050f2rs.jpg

More / larger photos at: Star Wars Collector - Darth Vader (Dagobah Test) - #07 (http://starwarscollector.com/hd-photo-gallery/the-black-series/381-the-black-series-action-figures-basic/11834-darth-vader-dagobah-test-07.html)

Cell
05-24-2015, 02:35 AM
They captured Mark Hamill's facial expression in that scene pretty nicely in my opinion. For diorama builders this figure is probably a welcome addition. I may pick this one up if it goes on clearance.

DJ121
05-24-2015, 06:03 AM

Not quite sure what you mean here. The head on the figure I got pops right off from the body.

Darth_Brett
05-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Not quite sure what you mean here. The head on the figure I got pops right off from the body.

LoL Well Hasbro for some reason stated that the head wasn't going to be removable when asked at TF.

Good to hear that wasn't true, though! Thanks DJ!

Darth_Brett
05-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Apologies. It was at last year's SDCC that Hasbro had stated the figure would not feature a removable head. My mistake.

Again, very good to hear it actually IS removable, though.

DJ121
05-24-2015, 07:10 AM
You're welcome. And that example right there is why I keep saying the two guys running the brand now have NO CLUE. DDP may have had his flaws, but I'll gladly take him back in charge any day.

Glitch
05-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Let me guess….. When we finally WANT a Vader figure with a head that comes off, it's fastened on tightly and securely, right?

P.S. Please tell me I'm not right.

lordtyrannus
05-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Let me guess..... When we finally WANT a Vader figure with a head that comes off, it's fastened on tightly and securely, right? P.S. Please tell me I'm not right.

Well, I could tell you you're not right, but........

DJ121
05-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Let me guess….. When we finally WANT a Vader figure with a head that comes off, it's fastened on tightly and securely, right?

P.S. Please tell me I'm not right.

Well, I could tell you you're not right, but........

You are both wrong. The head DOES come off. JTA's review shows it, and the figure I have comes off as well.

Droidworld
05-25-2015, 10:13 AM
You are both wrong. The head DOES come off. JTA's review shows it, and the figure I have comes off as well.

Yes it does......with an ugly neck post.

While this figure's final version looks much better than expected, and is great for those who need it, the thick black neck peg, and slightly deformed mask plate, make this one an easy pass for me.

I'm happy with the ancient POTJ version, which displays better with and without the head and face mask.

lordtyrannus
05-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Umm--- I think you misunderstood my post. I was commenting on the ironic fact that the ROTS Vader's head falls of right out of the package, while this removable one stays on securely unless you pull it off. I'm well aware that the head comes off; I've had it since viperskingdom started selling them.

Glitch
05-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Umm--- I think you misunderstood my post. I was commenting on the ironic fact that the ROTS Vader's head falls of right out of the package, while this removable one stays on securely unless you pull it off. I'm well aware that the head comes off; I've had it since viperskingdom started selling them.

Which is where I was going as well.

DJ121
05-25-2015, 10:03 PM
I guess I did misunderstand. Sorry about that. and I totally agree with the ugly neck post. It would have been much better if they had used one of the other figures where the head fits on a ball in the neck.

stylie_steve
06-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Not a bad update but a bit of a half ***** one.

Would have like the Hasbro to add some of that cool translect plastic to this figure to replicate him being a force vision like the POTJ version and the big peg sticking out kind of ruins the removable head feature. Still the new head sculpt is nice but the face plate doesn't match in well or stay put so that is a bit of a shame. Better sculpt than the POTJ version but the POTJ version is better executed.

Idpullthecurtain
06-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Not a bad update but a bit of a half ***** one.

Would have like the Hasbro to add some of that cool translect plastic to this figure to replicate him being a force vision like the POTJ version and the big peg sticking out kind of ruins the removable head feature. Still the new head sculpt is nice but the face plate doesn't match in well or stay put so that is a bit of a shame. Better sculpt than the POTJ version but the POTJ version is better executed.

I just got mine, and I am pleasantly surprised by this one. I reckon the face and helmet is great, an improvement.

Re the glow, I get your point, but I will reiterate what people always say to me on this point. This figure is screen accurate. There is no glow or transparency in the film! And since I am always all for screen accuracy I have to say, as cool as the transparency is, it has no place on this figure I guess.

BillD
06-22-2015, 03:13 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I did something tremendously stupid today: while opening my Vader with a pair of scissors (which usually works just fine) I cut into his cape. Wondering if any of you customizers would happen to have an extra cape you'd be willing to sell. Please message me if you do and I can PayPal you money right away. Thanks!

Obi_Wan_Kaboozie
07-07-2015, 03:20 AM
I love the headsculpt. The rest of the figure is terribly lazy. They STILL haven't worked in a grasping right hand. The cape has no neckhole, so you have to loop the chain around his neckpost and let the cape dangle off over his back. Guess you can swap in another cape from any of the Evolutions Vaders, but it's annoying.

I keep buying TBS because I don't want to see SA 3.75" figures become a thing of the past, but that seems to be well underway regardless, and between this level of laze and the continued near-nonpresence of this line at retail, they seem to be trying real hard to shake me off my habit.