PDA

View Full Version : Life-Size Jumbo Vintage Kenner Darth Vader Statue

Chris Wyman
07-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Gentle Giant confirmed to us that after the Stormtrooper, they hope to continue this line and have plans for at least five more statues including a Darth Vader with a vinyl cape and telescoping Lightsaber.

AussieFortuna
07-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Im going to guess the other 3 figures are a yoda, boba fett and a biker scout.
Maybe they might do a snow trooper too.

ramy
07-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Biker Scout? I really doubt it. Not to begin with.

AussieFortuna
07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Biker Scout? I really doubt it. Not to begin with.

Im just thinking of the most marketable ones they could do, ive counted the human figures out, yoda and fett would sell out ASAP, and i think either a snow trooper or biker scouts a big possibility.

Glitch
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. :)

My guess would be R2.

AussieFortuna
07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. :)

My guess would be R2.

lol, your prob right, i do have this awesome picture in my mind of a biker scout life size, but R2 is a cert isnt it, maybe even c-3p0 if the gold finish doesnt cost them to much, not sure if it would or not.

Anyway, sorry guys ive taken this thread off topic, back to Darth Vader.

Azuryte
07-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd love to see R2 and 3PO, but not sure if they could pull off C-3PO's finish at that scale for a "reasonable" cost.

Snaggletooth
07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Gentle Giant confirmed to us that after the Stormtrooper, they hope to continue this line and have plans for at least five more statues including a Darth Vader with a vinyl cape and telescoping Lightsaber.
I'm guessing that the other four will be...

Luke (Farmboy)
Artoo
Boba Fett
Yoda

GGC
07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
They just announced at the panel the Stomie will be $1500-$2500 so these things will be pricey, I image the vader to be at least $3k

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
They just announced at the panel the Stomie will be $1500-$2500 so these things will be pricey, I image the vader to be at least $3k

For that much money they can keep them

OCWanKenobi
07-19-2013, 02:24 PM
for that much money i could build one....

but who's going to fly it kid... you?

SoonerSean
07-19-2013, 02:35 PM
The price kind of fits into my thought that they did this more for the marketing at "wow" factor. I doubt they expect to sell more than a handful. Shipping will be an issue for most folks - just getting the crate into the house will be a task. ;)

Glitch
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Watch it be Luke, Leia, R2 and Chewbacca in a giant white mailer crate.

:grin:

Personally, the only one I would even consider (not for $1,500 - $2,000) would be R2. The vintage Kenner figure has a look that can't be confused with any other version of the character - so iconic. Not only that, but it's less of a space commitment.

GNT
07-19-2013, 05:54 PM
The price kind of fits into my thought that they did this more for the marketing at "wow" factor. I doubt they expect to sell more than a handful. Shipping will be an issue for most folks - just getting the crate into the house will be a task. ;)

Once you open the crate, you'll have to open the massive vintage style box they've packed it in :p

jimmii
07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Once you open the crate, you'll have to open the massive vintage style box they've packed it in :p

That would be awesome! I would leave him moc, then send him to be toygraded AFA.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
07-22-2013, 02:33 PM
That would be awesome! I would leave him moc, then send him to be toygraded AFA.

Send the crate to them unopened for "U" grade ;)

jimmii
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Since he's a "mailer", I'll have them display the crate in the acrylic case, too.

Send the crate to them unopened for "U" grade ;)

sotoam
07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

They want the WOW factor? How about a life-sized Rancor. :) j/k of course, but it would be neat to have one towering over my house scaring the heck out of the neighbors.

UTINI
08-01-2013, 04:47 PM
$1500+ each?! Yeah I'm not going for these anymore. It's hollow plastic. They should just sell them direct only and cut out the whole distributor to retailer middlemen mark ups.

Mighty_Jabba
08-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Well, it's not plastic. It's fiberglass.

AussieFortuna
08-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Theres no doubt that a big part of the reason GG are making these if for advertising through an 'out their' product.
Its a smart move, many companies do this sort of thing, they might not earn much profit out of it but everybody is talking about it, theres write ups on all the big sites, its a form of smart advertising for them for the future.

UTINI
08-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Well, it's not plastic. It's fiberglass.

Did GG confirm it's not the same material as the 12" ones?

ramy
08-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Did GG confirm it's not the same material as the 12" ones?
Yes they did at SDCC.

UTINI
08-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh, that's good to hear! I still think they should just sell direct to shave out the multiple middlemen markups.

AaylaSecurasMan
04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Up for pre-order, $2,600

Darth Vader Life Size Vintage Monument (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/80369.htm)

TRDNiteLife
04-17-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't understand the decision for these life size vintage monuments. Are they really that popular?

Hoth_My_Fav
04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I bet this one sells out before the stormie....

jimmii
04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
I love the idea of these, but with them being very pricy...I'm holding out for Fett. (if they make him)

assemblyrequired
04-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Oddly I like this idea. I would rather have this than a prop( fan made) suit IMO . I can see a Vader , Luke and Obi. A rocket fett would be ideal but they will hold off on him I would think. A life sized Yak Face , Vlix or IG88 would be incredible.

-James

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
04-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Great idea, love the figures but hate the price. Super cool but not worth the price tag :(

D. Martin
04-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Can. Not. Live. Without.

kevb0977
04-18-2014, 02:06 AM
I liked the Kenner figures when I was a boy..., THE END!!! lol ;)

rnbuda
04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
I love the idea of these, but with them being very pricy...I'm holding out for Fett. (if they make him)

Fett will be the next one, guaranteed. The market for these pieces can't be too big!

HinekenSkywalker
04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
That's pretty damn cool. And when you consider that the Sideshow life-size Vader is going to cost around $7,000.00, the price doesn't seem so bad.

jedimasterc
04-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah, the Vader really looks cool but yeah, the price is very ridiculous on these. I wonder what the Lightsaber blade will be made out of. I really would live a life sized Kenner Stormtrooper blaster.

Hoth_My_Fav
04-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Man.. I dunno what to think now. I wanted the stormie.. but a life size Vader sounds even cooler.. ugh.. maybe I will get both.

Nipshank
04-19-2014, 08:12 AM
I still think this line is right up there with Halloween or Christmas plastic lawn ornaments.
I think they look great but the price is so blown out of proportion for these hollow plastic pieces that lack any actual detail or hard paint apps. They are a cool idea, especially for the vintage collectors but def not for me.

DarthMickeyMoose
04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
I still think this line is right up there with Halloween or Christmas plastic lawn ornaments.
I think they look great but the price is so blown out of proportion for these hollow plastic pieces that lack any actual detail or hard paint apps. They are a cool idea, especially for the vintage collectors but def not for me.

Agree with this well written post.

Glitch
04-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Who in their right mind would pre-order one of these - especially without seeing the final product?

OB1Knobby
04-20-2014, 03:33 PM
For that price he better come with a double telescoping saber.

Ha ha, lawn ornament.

Dax
04-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Although it's not specified on the web site I recall from when the Stormtrooper was announced that these items were to be made of fibreglass, not plastic. Considering the smaller production run, fibreglass quality and the cost of delivery I think they're reasonably priced. I agree though that Vader should really come with a DT saber.

AussieFortuna
04-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Totally agree, and imo the kenner Darth was a very poor sculpt, its going to look even worse in life size.

AaylaSecurasMan
04-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Mods. It looks like there are two threads for this (I created the most recent one, my apologies) please combine. Thanks!

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100278/

Snowtrooper44
04-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Oddly I like this idea. I would rather have this than a prop( fan made) suit IMO . I can see a Vader , Luke and Obi. A rocket fett would be ideal but they will hold off on him I would think. A life sized Yak Face , Vlix or IG88 would be incredible.

-James

Why on earth would anyone want a life sized Vlix???????????? An ugly fat man wearing a bizarre space suit - erh no thanks

UTINI
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM
There is no market for a life sized Vlix.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM

I know now one person who would buy it...cough, cough, James Gallo :) ;)

Hoth_My_Fav
04-25-2014, 06:50 PM
these prices seem fair to me for the size and run they make. I just wonder if I should get both or just pick the best one. I dont have room for all this stuff.... lol

OB1Knobby
04-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Can't you just get a Santa Clause and paint him blue?

dxdave
04-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I like the life-sized vintage Yak Face that Jordan "the moron" Hembrough (Toy Hunter idiot) has in his store. I'm sure it's a custom, but it is pretty neat.

Shabby_Blue
04-26-2014, 02:48 PM
I like the life-sized vintage Yak Face that Jordan "the moron" Hembrough (Toy Hunter idiot) has in his store. I'm sure it's a custom, but it is pretty neat.

What do you have against Jordan?

Dax
04-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, not cool man. You may not like his presenting style which is designed to create excitement with the layman that knows next to nothing about toy collecting, but getting personal and calling him names is unacceptable. That's not how we do things here at Rebelscum.

Hoth_My_Fav
04-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah, not cool man. You may not like his presenting style which is designed to create excitement with the layman that knows next to nothing about toy collecting, but getting personal and calling him names is unacceptable. That's not how we do things here at Rebelscum.

Thats news to me, I seen in many threads were people call others names, insult each other. I have experinced it. I agree, theres no need for name calling. But it happens here lol:P

assemblyrequired
04-26-2014, 10:21 PM

I like the yak but a little Too shiney for me too. I dealt with Jordan many years ago when he was more humble and willing to talk to normal folks . very smart guy with some collecting talent for sure .

-James

assemblyrequired
04-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Why on earth would anyone want a life sized Vlix???????????? An ugly fat man wearing a bizarre space suit - erh no thanks

The appeal is there for me . Seeing Vaders, Stormtroopers, Fett ( good lord ) all the time in collectors room gives me the " yawn factor" when I see collections. Seeing original items like Vlix etc would be great . Mass Produced maybe not but who wants a lifesized vader at that price .

-James

AussieFortuna
04-27-2014, 11:55 AM

Jordan seems a very decent fellow on the vintage boards here, always willing to talk to anybody, always polite, seems like a pretty decent guy to me.

Glitch
04-27-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm REALLY curious to see what they do with the cape.

Could end up looking like: A. Vader wearing a shower curtain, or B. Vader wearing a bean bag char vinyl cape.

Whatever the case, I'm 100% confident that GG will find a way to screw it up.

AaylaSecurasMan
06-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Got an e-mail from GG that this one is coming. Bump after more than 2 years!

TheGoodDr
06-29-2016, 05:56 AM
Just saw pics of this over at another SW Collector site and I hate to say it, but there's definitely something not quite right with the final production version. He's has a lollipop look about him. Surely GG could have found a better example of the vintage figure than the one they used......the shape of his helmet looks nothing like the vintage figure I have here standing on a shelf here in my home office. The cape is also too short.

:(

Cosmic_Cow
07-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Just saw pics of this over at another SW Collector site and I hate to say it, but there's definitely something not quite right with the final production version. He's has a lollipop look about him. Surely GG could have found a better example of the vintage figure than the one they used......the shape of his helmet looks nothing like the vintage figure I have here standing on a shelf here in my home office. The cape is also too short.

:(

The in hand pics I saw definitely look off. When I compared with the GG promo pics, I think it's the cape that's throwing it off. The GG pics have it with a really high collar which took away that "lollipop" look you mention.