PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Kenner Droid Set - AFX Exclusive

Zepp_Head
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Whoa! Didn't see this coming! B)

AFX Exclusive Star Wars Jumbo Kenner Droid Set by Gentle Giant (http://www.shopafx.com/afxexstwajuk.html)

Limited Edition of 500
Just like they were when you were a kid, only BIGGER! Gentle Giant continues on with their new line of vintage Star Wars Action figure reproductions with an epic Droid-themed three-pack featuring the Death Star Droid, R5-D4 and Power Droid! All three figures were digitally scanned from mint Kenner originals and reproduced to Jumbo scale. The Death Star Droid is fully vac-metallized, while R5-D4 and the Power Droid feature faithfully reproduced "clicking" articulation, just like the originals!
That's not all! This set comes packaged in a cardboard-backed plastic sealed tray, featuring a vintage-style outer cardboard shell, perfect for display! You won't want to miss out on this exciting AFX Exclusive from Gentle Giant Ltd.!
These three, together with R2-D2, were captured and transported by the Jawas in the sandcrawler across the Tatooine Desert. R5-D4 was originally purchased by Luke. The power droid was first seen in the sandcrawler dungeon together with a gleaming silver Death Star Droid.
Pre-Order - Due September 2013 - $199.99

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/actionfigurexpress_2264_119251098

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/actionfigurexpress_2264_119523994

AaylaSecurasMan
06-03-2013, 08:22 PM
And how are we supposed to display this? o-o

Have to give it to GG for a thinking outside the box for these jumbo offerings.

Pass for me, I will stick with the single carded figures (never thought that I would say this when talking about jumbo 12" figures :wtf:)

AussieFortuna
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Pass for me but looks pretty cool.

Kaneda_01
06-03-2013, 09:18 PM
My pocket book is soooo grateful that I'm an opener! Easy pass... as I will have all the figures loose once the Power Droid is released. :O)

Shabby_Blue
06-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Pass. Too big to store or display.

It concerns me that the exclusives this year are offering nothing NEW for this line, compared to what we got in 2011 and 2012. First we have the PGM exclusive Prototype Boba Fett, which is nothing more than a cheap repaint. And now this 2nd exclusive at AFX is just an oversized, overpriced repackaging of existing figures that most collectors in this line already have (or soon will have).

This doesn't bode well for the SDCC exclusive, which is expected to be revealed sometime later this month. I have a bad feeling it's also going to be just another cheap repaint or an existing figure in different packaging (ie. Boba Fett on a DROIDS card -- UGH!).

There's still too many fan-demanded figures to offer in this line before GG should start following the Hasbro trend of cheaply produced repaints and repacks. :(

John_Solo
06-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I think I would be embarrassed to have something that big in my house.

BlueSnaggletooth
06-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I kinda like this. Will probably end up getting one. One thing of note: There is an edition size of 500. Glad to see this. I don't think getting rid of edition sizes for this line would be a good business move on GG's part.

-Snags

UTINI
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
WOW! That's insane! I wonder if it really will be scaled that way. If it is, then it will be HUGE! I wouldn't be surprised if GG alters the packaging proportions like they do for the single packs.

Cosmic_Cow
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
WOW! That's insane! I wonder if it really will be scaled that way. If it is, then it will be HUGE! I wouldn't be surprised if GG alters the packaging proportions like they do for the single packs.

Judging by that pic it would be over 2 1/2 feet tall. If they were smart they'd leave off the top half. I think it would look just as cool.

Sublevel
06-04-2013, 02:19 AM
I really hate this. These things are getting harder to display as it is and now this! Does GG think we all have entire floors dedicated to collections? What next? A scaled Millennium Falcon?

justabigkid
06-04-2013, 02:42 AM
The scary thought is that you KNOW G.G. is going to make a bunch of others. Wait until the "Villains" 3 pack is up f/s.

jedimasterc
06-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah, this is a pass.

BillMulder
06-04-2013, 05:51 AM
I think this is a really cool idea but the reality of how gigantic it will be makes it tough to actually buy.

JediEddy
06-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Too each their own. I think this is very cool. I have the room and the the way I see it, the three figures come out to less then $67 per figure, which is less if you bought them separately. So I've pre-ordered this.

Kevin_Lentz
06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
I like the idea. This one is a pass, but I might pick up a couple of the other ones if they get made (villains, androids).

ramy
06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Pass for me too. I already have 2 of those and one pre-ordered so I don't need more. I have limited space to display the ones I have and was really thinking of stopping anyway.

UTINI
06-04-2013, 08:31 AM
I bet they will have this plus more 3-packs at SDCC. I'm excited to see how monstrous these are.

Jedi534
06-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Does GG think we all have entire floors dedicated to collections?

What? You mean you don't live in your Mom's basement??? ;)

It's the perfect exclusive though. Nothing to scramble for but kinda cool at the same time.

ramy
06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
What? You mean you don't live in your Mom's basement??? ;)

It's the perfect exclusive though. Nothing to scramble for but kinda cool at the same time.

If I didn't have any of them it would probably save space over 3 separate ones.

Jedi534
06-04-2013, 10:27 AM
This would be a good way for people to get some Jumbos they missed out on. Check out the vintage combos...

Android Set (C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca)
Creature Set (Hammerhead, Walrusman, Greedo)
Droid Set (R5-D4, Death Star Droid, Power Droid)
Hero Set (Han Solo, Princess Leia, Ben Kenobi)
Hero Set (Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot, Ben Kenobi, Han Solo)
Villian Set (Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, Death Squad Commander)
Villian Set (Tusken Raider, Boba Fett, Snaggletooth)

AussieFortuna
06-04-2013, 11:55 AM
LOL, ive just done a few calculations and this is about 1m tall going by the picture, its gonna take one hell of a shipping box lol.

dockingbay97
06-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I have no business getting this as it is going to be freaking HUGE but that thing is so beautiful to me common sense is being thrown out the door. I am totally getting it.

drmdns
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Odd, now it seems people are OK with previously released figures being remade/repackaged...:wtf: As long as it has an edition size I guess...

John_Solo
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
What this presents is a good way to get some out of production pieces back into the hands of collectors who missed them previously... if you're a loose collector.

People could split these sets up to cover holes in their collections.

But yeah, the proportions will be out of control.

DarthChristopher
06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
This set would be a great opportunity for Gentle Giant to redeem themselves by making R5-D4 pure white like R2-D2, with a vac-metalized "neck". GG, please if you're reading this, fix R5-D4 and I'll buy the damn exclusive!

Wedge99
06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I totally agree, and I pre-ordered this as well.

The clincher was having missed out on the Power Droid, even though I'm a PG member. I waited too long and the Gonk "Pre-Sold Out" which ... don't even get me started on. The $30 credit with your membership keeps getting more useless, if you can only use it on "in-stock" items. Just saying.

Too each their own. I think this is very cool. I have the room and the the way I see it, the three figures come out to less then $67 per figure, which is less if you bought them separately. So I've pre-ordered this.

AaylaSecurasMan
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I totally agree, and I pre-ordered this as well.

The clincher was having missed out on the Power Droid, even though I'm a PG member. I waited too long and the Gonk "Pre-Sold Out" which ... don't even get me started on. The $30 credit with your membership keeps getting more useless, if you can only use it on "in-stock" items. Just saying.

You know that you can still pre-order it from a few etailers rightt?

Star Wars Power Droid Jumbo Kenner Action Figure - Gentle Giant - Star Wars - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80263#.Ua5s-kDU9zs)

Star Wars 12" Jumbo Vintage Power Droid from Gentle Giant, LTD. (http://www.brianstoys.com/Product/ST1GPOWERDROID/Gentle_Giant_12_Jumbo_Vintage_Power_Droid.aspx)

Vintage Power Droid Jumbo Figure (http://www.andrewstoyz.com/power-droid-jumbo-figure.aspx)

PREORDER Star Wars Power Droid Kenner Jumbo Figure (http://www.redfordfilms.com/c=Q0Ch0S9aAK3Wk8HBfBxiWHnyW/product/GG80263-RF/PREORDER-Star-Wars-Power-Droid-Kenner-Jumbo-Figure.html)

Star Wars Kenner Power Droid Jumbo Action Figure Urban Collector (http://www.urban-collector.com/star-wars-kenner-power-droid-jumbo-action-figure-nov121786.html)

jedimasterc
06-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I don't know,199 Seems like a lot for this but Yeah, I did miss out on the Powerdroid as well. Though I wasn't chopping at the bit got one though. I am satisfied by the one I have.

bespin_boy
06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow! nuts i love these! does everyone here have all of the GG 12 inch releases or are some you just collecting certain ones? I find these so appealing for the nostalgia factor and keep "stopping" and "restarting" collecting these... It stinks because when i think I'm done, i get drawn back in and want to try and catch up. Damn it!

JoeCardone
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I have every one from the begining except the ROTJ Gamorrean Guard. I pre-ordered this one but am really running out of space now - even with all the problems, these are really pretty awesome!

DarthChristopher
06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I noticed the link is no longer working, and the item cannot be found on AFX site, so why did they take it down? If it sold out, wouldn't AFX say so instead of removing the item?

Zepp_Head
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
^Well, they haven't cancelled my order yet (I was likely one of the first to place one).

Darth_Sith_Lord
06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Anyone know what has happened? I wanna order one and it seems it has vanished

JediEddy
06-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Anyone know what has happened? I wanna order one and it seems it has vanished

Wow, that is strange. I even checked the AFX Exclusives section and it's not listed there, where everything else says sold out. Do you think that was maybe an "Oops, we shouldn't have put that up for sale yet?". Anyway, I was lucky enough to get my order in, now will it be fulfilled?

Darth_Sith_Lord
06-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Here is an email reply I got from them -

Hi, we had to remove it from our site temporarily but will put it back up for preorder soon. Please check back in 1-2 weeks.

Azuryte
06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Sounds like they jumped the gun on the pre-order.

BlueSnaggletooth
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Sounds like they jumped the gun on the pre-order.

Yep. I wonder if the SDCC exclusive is going to be a three-pack and they wanted to surprise people with a big reveal.

It's a little too late now...

-Snags

xphillips
06-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Yep. I wonder if the SDCC exclusive is going to be a three-pack and they wanted to surprise people with a big reveal.

It's a little too late now...

-Snags

I think you're right Snags... And I bet it will be a 3 pack of 2 "already released" figures and 1 new one... This is all making sense now... Why GG took all the limited edition numbers down from their website... because they are going to be releasing additional figures in 3-packs. Any thoughts to this theory?

BillMulder
06-05-2013, 10:32 PM
The last two posts make a lot of sense. Probably because I was thinking the same things.

BlueSnaggletooth
06-05-2013, 11:37 PM
I think you're right Snags... And I bet it will be a 3 pack of 2 "already released" figures and 1 new one... This is all making sense now... Why GG took all the limited edition numbers down from their website... because they are going to be releasing additional figures in 3-packs. Any thoughts to this theory?

Believe this is all correct. I'm taking a look at the original Kenner 3-packs now, trying to figure out which set we might see. Will be back with a prediction soon.

-Snags

colpar
06-05-2013, 11:52 PM
recent figures that sold well ... Creature Set :

http://theswca.com/images-carde/creature-threepack-front.jpg

BlueSnaggletooth
06-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I don't want to see a set of complete repacks here. The usual suspects would be the 3 Cantina Creatures, the Android set (Chewie/R2/Threepio) or the Villain Set (Vader/Stormtrooper/Death Squad Commander).

The sets I would be excited for would be:

Cloud Car Pilot/See Threepio (Removable Limbs)/Ugnaught
Han Bespin/Ugnaught/Lobot
Hoth Leia/R2 Sensorscope/Hoth Luke
21B/Hoth Leia/Rebel Commander

That said, Kenner listed ROTJ 3-packs at one point and never released them. Would be cool to see that (and would make sense for 30 Anniversary of ROTJ).

LINK: http://theswca.com/images-catal/83-dsp-3packs.jpg

-Snags

ramy
06-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I would be really disappointed if it is a three pack of anything.

Wedge99
06-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks! yes, I saw. But the thing was, ideally I wanted to use my $30 PG credit toward it. Spending $80 plus shipping on the Power Droid just seemed excessive to me. (So much for that.)

When I saw this, though, I figured, if I'm going to have to spend at least $70 on the PD anyway, I might as well go all in and get the 3-pack. I love the look of it.

You know that you can still pre-order it from a few etailers rightt?

Star Wars Power Droid Jumbo Kenner Action Figure - Gentle Giant - Star Wars - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80263#.Ua5s-kDU9zs)

Star Wars 12" Jumbo Vintage Power Droid from Gentle Giant, LTD. (http://www.brianstoys.com/Product/ST1GPOWERDROID/Gentle_Giant_12_Jumbo_Vintage_Power_Droid.aspx)

Vintage Power Droid Jumbo Figure (http://www.andrewstoyz.com/power-droid-jumbo-figure.aspx)

PREORDER Star Wars Power Droid Kenner Jumbo Figure (http://www.redfordfilms.com/c=Q0Ch0S9aAK3Wk8HBfBxiWHnyW/product/GG80263-RF/PREORDER-Star-Wars-Power-Droid-Kenner-Jumbo-Figure.html)

Star Wars Kenner Power Droid Jumbo Action Figure Urban Collector (http://www.urban-collector.com/star-wars-kenner-power-droid-jumbo-action-figure-nov121786.html)

Chris Wyman
06-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Rebelscum.com: Gentle Giant Ltd: Jumbo Kenner Figure Three Pack Update (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Gentle_Giant_Ltd_Jumbo_Kenner_Figure_Three_Pack_Up date_152379.asp)

JoeCardone
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone know what happened to this?? :) I had placed a pre-order before it vanished but...

Darth_Sith_Lord
07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Any news on this

UTINI
08-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I really hope it gets released and with the giant proportional packaging. Where will I put it? I have not idea, but it will be awesome next to a life size Vintage Stormtrooper!

maniac79
08-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Wanted to preorder too, I missed the 1st round... :(

xphillips
08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I just received an email from AFX and it appears they are up for preorder. What are your thoughts about rereleasing all the figures again? I like the packaging and cardboard backdrop.

Zepp_Head
08-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I hope that's not the final backdrop image. Its pretty useless to me. Why not a "scaled-to-the-Jumbos" shot of the interior or exterior of the Sandcrawler? Seriously, what good is posing these figures in front of gigantic Jawas, Luke, and R2? It looks goofy. A waste of an opportunity in my opinion.

JediJones77
08-27-2013, 08:16 PM
I would've assumed the "limited edition" on the single figure releases applied to the figure too, not just the packaging. Although I guess that was already violated once or twice. But rereleases of some of the rarer figures in new packaging would probably lower their resale value from where it stands today.

MZimmerman
08-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Missed all 3 of these in their initial release. Love the concept, and the figures. This was a no-brainer for me. Ordered.

assemblyrequired
08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
just wait for the Vader Case that will come out...

-James

Darth_Sith_Lord
08-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Ordered Mine This looks freakin awesome!

Mighty_Jabba
08-28-2013, 10:32 AM
I hope that's not the final backdrop image. Its pretty useless to me. Why not a "scaled-to-the-Jumbos" shot of the interior or exterior of the Sandcrawler? Seriously, what good is posing these figures in front of gigantic Jawas, Luke, and R2? It looks goofy. A waste of an opportunity in my opinion.
I'll have to agree with you there. I don't see myself displaying this even if I were to get the set.

DarthChristopher
08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Too bad R5-D4 wasn't fixed, still looks yellowed and no vac-metal "neck". Otherwise, I would have bought this.

Glitch
08-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Too bad R5-D4 wasn't fixed, still looks yellowed and no vac-metal "neck". Otherwise, I would have bought this.

Oddly enough, same here. That chrome neck piece is a HUGE part of this figure for me. Also, the fact that his color doesn't match R2 bugs me big time.

itsatrap
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh man, this set is tempting...

JoeCardone
08-30-2013, 09:38 AM
I love this set - had one of the three packs when I was little that my Aunt bought me - I loved the backdrop for some reason - really can't afford the vintage one - this is nice to have instead!!

VinylSquirrel
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I'll have to agree with you there. I don't see myself displaying this even if I were to get the set.

The backdrop is an exact replica from the original set. We did not just randomly choose this image. It actually came with the Droid set originally. :)

Mighty_Jabba
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)

VinylSquirrel
09-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Doesn't mean I have to like it. ;)

Nope, but I hope you do. :) Also, something to note, that the previously released figures with the 2012 legal line on the bottom of their feet have been updated to read 2013.

jedimasterc
09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Nope, but I hope you do. :) Also, something to note, that the previously released figures with the 2012 legal line on the bottom of their feet have been updated to read 2013.

What is the dimension of the 3 pack?

VinylSquirrel
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
16.875"H (back flap down) and 26.5" H (back flap up) x 20" W x 5.5" D

Shabby_Blue
09-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Too big to store, and not worth the price to me when it's just new unique packaging for 3 repacked figures I already own.

I dread what the size of the packaging will be on the Wampa, because I'll probably cave in to buy that one. Any chance Mister GG rep can tell us if the Wampa's pacakging will be a large cardboard box replicating the vintage packaging, or will it be an originally designed piece with a clear blister so you can see the Wampa itself inside the package?

JoeCardone
09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Too big to store, and not worth the price to me when it's just new unique packaging for 3 repacked figures I already own.

I dread what the size of the packaging will be on the Wampa, because I'll probably cave in to buy that one. Any chance Mister GG rep can tell us if the Wampa's pacakging will be a large cardboard box replicating the vintage packaging, or will it be an originally designed piece with a clear blister so you can see the Wampa itself inside the package?

Hmmm - that's what I said about it in 1979 :) Not to say this one will be worth any more than the retail though - but I am buying one - I think it is great!

UTINI
09-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I ordered this just for the absurd/ridiculous factor. If it didn't come in the full packaging like the originals did, I would not have ordered. As crazy as it may sound, I wish all the jumbos shipped on larger scaled cardbacks. Not 100% accurate, but at least to allow more card space above the blister.

VinylSquirrel
09-12-2013, 09:47 PM

Staying true to replicating the original figures as closely as possibly, the Wampa will come in his original packaging. Closed box with side flap. We are working on the interior packing to ensure he is secure since he is so dang huge! o-o

ramy
09-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Staying true to replicating the original figures as closely as possibly, the Wampa will come in his original packaging. Closed box with side flap. We are working on the interior packing to ensure he is secure since he is so dang huge! o-o

Any idea how much it will cost?

Shabby_Blue
09-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to store him. :)

xphillips
09-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for staying true! But please consider a way to also be able to SEE the wampa in the box. Maybe a window box? Not sure about that but an idea. Or what about a half box and half plastic box (kind of like a 1/2 and 1/2 x-ray thing)

AaylaSecurasMan
09-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Here is the Wampa thread :P

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100201/

Shabby_Blue
09-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for staying true! But please consider a way to also be able to SEE the wampa in the box. Maybe a window box? Not sure about that but an idea. Or what about a half box and half plastic box (kind of like a 1/2 and 1/2 x-ray thing)

Or just make a front flap that opens up to reveal a window, similar to Hasbro's old POTF2 12" figure packaging from the late 90s:

GGC
10-12-2013, 04:18 PM
In hand shot via Yodasnews on Facebook:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1384253_10152263750734867_1326023413_n.jpg

Jedi534
10-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Awesome! But I'm not going to be the one to point out what's wrong with this picture! :grin:

Shabby_Blue
10-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Easy enough to open it carefully and turn R5-D4's body around. :)

GGC
10-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Awesome! But I'm not going to be the one to point out what's wrong with this picture! :grin:

I guess someone in the factory put him backwards, it's still sealed. The one on the AFX website is correct. My power droid (single carded) is actually in backwards as well but I just flipped him around.

Turbowars
10-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Very cool but too late, I out.

Glitch
10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Overkill.

Ackbar254
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Debating this one, it'll be a good way to get these droids all at once but I kind of want them individually carded. Don't know if I'm gonna display them loose but I might want them hanging on the wall? And so my brain goes round and round. LOL whatever. The single cards have such beautiful artwork........

Zepp_Head
10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Can anyone confirm if these are the exact same figures as the single card versions? I cant tell from the YodasNews pic. Specifically R5-D4 - is he still yellowed and non-chromed? If he is, then this set puzzles me. If they spent the time and money to turn the machines back on to produce this set of reissues, why not fix R5 while they were at it? Surely GG had seen our complaints on the figure long ago...right? Even if they couldn't do the chrome, why couldn't they at least use a brighter white plastic like Jumbo R2 had?

GGC
10-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Can anyone confirm if these are the exact same figures as the single card versions? I cant tell from the YodasNews pic. Specifically R5-D4 - is he still yellowed and non-chromed? If he is, then this set puzzles me. If they spent the time and money to turn the machines back on to produce this set of reissues, why not fix R5 while they were at it? Surely GG had seen our complaints on the figure long ago...right? Even if they couldn't do the chrome, why couldn't they at least use a brighter white plastic like Jumbo R2 had?

I will take some more pics tonight, but also check the video I did, I took out R5-D4 and showed him the last 60 seconds or so. They looked to me to be the same, just with the updated date stamp of 2013.

jedimasterc
10-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I am contemplating getting this set.I do have the R5-D4 but did miss out on the power Droid and the deathstar Droid.

DarthWaller
10-31-2013, 03:04 PM
I saw this last week at Rancho Obi-Wan. It's huge!

FLOSI
10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
I saw this last week at Rancho Obi-Wan. It's huge!

I can only imagine the box it would have to come in... It was like a 3x3" square!

UTINI
11-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh man, I just unpacked this last night and it's awesome! The comical size of it is what makes me love it. I would prefer a better mix of characters, but I like the concept. I won't be getting all the 3-packs GG releases, but will probably get some more pending the sets they move forward with.

gijigsaw
11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Wait until they do one of the rare 6 packs! Epic!

Shabby_Blue
11-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Wait until they do one of the rare 6 packs! Epic!

Wait for the Max Rebo band 3-pack. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/savrip/KSWCC/max_rebo_band.jpg

Azuryte
11-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Wait for the Max Rebo band 3-pack. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/savrip/KSWCC/max_rebo_band.jpg

PGMs will be able to pick it up for the discount price of only $1199.00

Shabby_Blue
11-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Oh I'm sure it would be in the $400-500 range if the Wampa is any indication. 3 figures at the average of $80 a piece, plus the organ which they'd probably count as equivilent to another $80 figure, plus the unique packaging. Yup, I'd be shocked if it was under $500 if or when they release it. The packaging would be massive if its designed to resemble the vintage version above. It would probably be close to 3 feet tall.

I'd buy it though. Even at that price. It's the closest we'll ever get to the Rebo band in the 1/6 scale. Sideshow had it on their rumor list years ago and I seriously doubt they'll ever produce these figures.

AussieFortuna
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh I'm sure it would be in the $400-500 range if the Wampa is any indication. 3 figures at the average of $80 a piece, plus the organ which they'd probably count as equivilent to another $80 figure, plus the unique packaging. Yup, I'd be shocked if it was under $500 if or when they release it. The packaging would be massive if its designed to resemble the vintage version above. It would probably be close to 3 feet tall.

I'd buy it though. Even at that price. It's the closest we'll ever get to the Rebo band in the 1/6 scale. Sideshow had it on their rumor list years ago and I seriously doubt they'll ever produce these figures.

Id be shocked if it was under $800, but who knows, they might throw in a ''free'' salacious crumb to turn it into a complete bargain.

Mighty_Jabba
11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
It's hard to say for sure, since nobody predicted the Wampa, but considering that the droid 3-pack is $199, I think it would be pretty difficult for them to suddenly charge $800 for another very similar pack of 3.

Glitch
11-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Wait. Are you saying this thing comes shipped with the back flap folded backward?

If so...

:rolleyes:

MZimmerman
11-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Wait. Are you saying this thing comes shipped with the back flap folded backward?

If so...

:rolleyes:

Yes, the back flap is folded down for shipping.

Jedi534
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I think the flap is designed to fold up and down so I don't believe they are being "damaged" before shipping.

MZimmerman
11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I think the flap is designed to fold up and down so I don't believe they are being "damaged" before shipping.

This is true.

CloneTrooper501
12-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Didn't anyone buy this set? There are no pictures!

Shabby_Blue
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
It's hard to say for sure, since nobody predicted the Wampa, but considering that the droid 3-pack is $199, I think it would be pretty difficult for them to suddenly charge $800 for another very similar pack of 3.

It wouldn't be a "similar 3 pack" though. The Droid 3-pack consists of 3 repacked figures they already made, so production costs for that set are only for the new packaging itself. For a Rebo 3-pack (which is really a 4-pack since I'm sure the organ counts as a "figure" due to its massive size), the production costs would be much higher due to the cost of sculpting and tooling all those new figures and accessories. That's how they'd justify a much higher price. There's no way a Rebo set would be priced in the $200 range like that droid 3-pack. They could easily get away with charging $400+ for it. Anything above that though is just ripping off the fans, as they did with the outrageous price for the Wampa.

gijigsaw
12-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Action Figure Express is discounting this set right now for $149 - at least through the email I received from them and on their Ebay store.

jedimasterc
12-09-2013, 08:03 PM
That's still a hard pill to swallow. I think GG still has the Powerdroid in stock on their site.

Daigo_Bah
12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
That's still a hard pill to swallow.

Do you mean spending $150 at once? It's $150 shipped, in fact- $50 shipped for each of the 3 droids. Surely that's cheaper than any of them individually? I went ahead and ordered it (my first jumbo purchase) because the sale ends tonight and I want to get started on a limited collection of this line. I'll be getting a couple of the Hoth jumbos too, specifically Rebel Hoth trooper and Han. Might wait for a 3 pack of those!

BillMulder
12-10-2013, 07:38 AM
I'll be getting a couple of the Hoth jumbos too, specifically Rebel Hoth trooper and Han. Might wait for a 3 pack of those!

Never say never but if they're already discounting the droid three pack by 25%, I don't think it sold well so I think the droids will be the beginning and the end of the three packs.

John_Solo
12-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Never say never but if they're already discounting the droid three pack by 25%, I don't think it sold well so I think the droids will be the beginning and the end of the three packs.

It's the beginning and the end.

BlueSnaggletooth
12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
With no edition size there's no rush to get any of these anymore. How many were produced? Who knows. They can always produce more if they need to.

-Snags

xphillips
12-11-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm waiting until there's an even bigger sale. $150 isn't terrible, but not good enough to pull the trigger. $150 plus a free other 12" figure... now that I'd go for!

JediJones77
12-14-2013, 07:20 PM
AFX is giving it away free today only with $199.99 in purchase of a specific list of products. A buy one get one free on it also works. Jumbo Bossk and 4-LOM are in the offer so you'd only need $40.01 more after that to qualify. Or you can get there with both the SDCC Fett and McQuarrie busts at $225. Other options...both Jumbos and McQuarrie, or Fett and one Jumbo. A Malak statue at $135 is also in play. Those are the only eligible Star Wars items. Offer ends at 10 AM Pacific time Saturday. My shipping for my order was $37 by UPS so that's going to be a little high.

1 Day Free Offer! (http://www.shopafx.com/1dayfreeoffer.html)

doot
12-14-2013, 08:23 PM
AFX sure has some crazy sales.
They can't be making anything off these.

Daigo_Bah
12-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I saw that today- man, they are literally trying to give them away! Actually, I wouldn't want to buy $200 of stuff I don't want just to get it. For my first jumbo purchase, $50 shipped each works for me!

JediJones77
12-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Technically you could order 3 McQuarrie C-3PO busts, probably net $50 each for selling them on eBay after fees, and end up with the Droid pack for under $115 with shipping. As I was looking through things, the C-3PO bust seemed to have the best eBay selling price relative to the AFX price. Luckily I was still able to cancel my Jumbo 4-LOM order from BBTS, so I only had to come up with $120 of stuff I don't want. $40 worth of it I kinda wanted, and the other $80 worth I could probably get $60 for on eBay.

doot
12-23-2013, 07:54 AM
$119.99 (40% off)

AFX Exclusive Star Wars Droid Jumbo Kenner Action Figure Set with Backdrop by Gentle Giant (http://www.shopafx.com/afxexstwajuk.html)

Glitch
12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Fire sale.

Keep it going.

This thing is just too darn big for more collectors.

Daigo_Bah
12-23-2013, 10:18 PM
I saw that email too, and thought I should have waited another week. But then I checked shipping: $41 was the cheapest method. I got it for $150 shipped last week, and now it would be over $160 shipped, so I'm still happy B)

Kaneda_01
12-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Ditto... I would have purchased a few as x-mas gifts for friends and family... after putting 7 in the shopping cart... the shipping was astronomical. if AFX offered free shipping on this deal... I would have been all over it... now everyone's getting Starbucks gift cards. :O(

CloneTrooper501
12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I would love to see more pictures of this set in the thread (hint hint) but I want all 3 figures but I want them with thier individual cards not in a new trio package.

gijigsaw
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
In hand shot via Yodasnews on Facebook:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1384253_10152263750734867_1326023413_n.jpg

Just got mine today. Ordered it during $119 firesale. R5D4 is backwards. Wonder how many were inserted that way?

doot
01-13-2014, 03:11 PM
My R5 was backwards also. Wouldn't surprise me if they all were.

imperial_peter
01-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Awesome!! I cant wait till mine comes!!!

BlueSnaggletooth
08-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Just ordered this set from GG direct - it is on sale for $99!

- Snags

DarthMickeyMoose
08-30-2014, 07:35 PM
If you don't mind what was the postage on the set from GG?

BlueSnaggletooth
08-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Believe it was $9 for USPS Priority shipping.

-Snags

jedimasterc
08-31-2014, 05:21 PM
I am tempted to get this but at 100 bucks I may still pass.

itsatrap
08-31-2014, 07:28 PM
I've tried adding this to my cart for the past two days during the $100 sale, but I just get an 'Out of Stock' notification...

MrT
09-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I ended up getting this for $50 shipped after using my PGM $30 discount and reward points. Very happy at that price, glad I held off until now, so nearly bought it last year.

Tweekem
09-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Wish I woulda jumped on it... anyone that wants to part out the DSD lmk

DarthChristopher
06-02-2015, 09:12 PM
I was on the fence a long time about buying this Droid set, but finally ordered one from a seller on eBay. Gentle Giant did a great job with the Death Star Droid and Power Droid, 2 of my favorites in the jumbo line, so getting them again in this large, vintage 3-pack box will look stunning. I most likely will get the Villain set too, since I never bought the Death Squad Commander or Stormtrooper. Not that it matters, but I'm betting odd releases like this will be more desirable by future generations of collectors.

And I'd LOVE to see a jumbo Creature set...

Daigo_Bah
06-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, the package for this alone is amazing, and I have it hanging up on the wall!

Palitoy_DS_1971
06-06-2015, 01:32 PM
And I'd LOVE to see a jumbo Creature set...

That would be great! Although I already own Greedo - getting Hammerhead and Walrusman in one fell swoop would be very tempting. Saving me from trawling ebay for hours on end for single carded figures.

Yes, the Droid pack is excellent and a good value set.
GGLTD did their some of their best work on DS DROID and the other jumbo droids. I personally don't mind R5-D4's metallic sprayed neck, as opposed to chromed.

Hoth_My_Fav
06-07-2015, 09:21 AM
That would be great! Although I already own Greedo - getting Hammerhead and Walrusman in one fell swoop would be very tempting. Saving me from trawling ebay for hours on end for single carded figures.

Yes, the Droid pack is excellent and a good value set.
GGLTD did their some of their best work on DS DROID and the other jumbo droids. I personally don't mind R5-D4's metallic sprayed neck, as opposed to chromed.

yea, despite the fact that I own Hammerhead by itself and he looks so great in Jumbo, which I just cannot stop gushing over how great he looks.....I would certainly pick him up again in a set even tho I am not crazy about the other two guys.

Palitoy_DS_1971
06-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Hi Hoth_My_Fave,

Greedo is my favourite, then Red Snaggletooth, then Hammerhead and finally Walrusman.

Yeah, Walrusman is the funkiest figure in the entire Kenner range! LOL.
What were they smoking back then?
The orange and navy blue is so gross together, it actually looks so bad, it's good and totally 70's.

I hope GGLTD offer several more 3 pack jumbo sets:
BESPIN has 2 types
01 HAN BESPIN, UGNAUGHT + LOBOT
02 LUKE BESPIN, BESPIN GUARD + LANDO CALRISSIAN.

The Hoth sets have:
01 HOTH HAN, REBEL SOLDIER + FX-7
02 HOTH LEIA, HOTH LUKE + R2-D2

Here's an image link: http://theswca.com/images-carde/3pack-back-esb80.jpg