PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Rebel Soldier Figure

Chris Wyman
02-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Place holder for Rebel Trooper (Hoth Battle Gear) discussion.

ramy
02-20-2013, 08:12 AM
A great compliment to the main hoth characters.

Shabby_Blue
02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
This was the one odd figure I wasn't expecting among all the new reveals, and he gives hope to us getting other less-demanded characters like Cloud Car Pilot and the Bespin Security Guard. I'm disappointed we're getting him before Hoth Leia or Bespin Leia.

BlueSnaggletooth
02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
I remember finding the Hoth Rebel Soldier, along with Bespin Luke, Bespin Leia, Lando, Han Hoth, Bespin Guard and Snowtrooper the week after Easter 1980 (about a month before the movie came out) at K-Mart. I had just won our K-Mart's "Color the Easter Bunny" contest so I had a $20 gift certificate to spend. I walked away with all of them (no sign of IG-88 or FX-7, unfortunately...didn't find them until a month or two later). Probably my favorite SW collecting memory. When I saw the ESB figures hanging on the pegs I was flipping out - in those pre-internet days you had no idea when (or what) things were coming.

-Snags

DarthBeek
02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
When I saw the ESB figures hanging on the pegs I was flipping out - in those pre-internet days you had no idea when (or what) things were coming.

Those were the times, sigh. Great memory Snags.

BlueSnaggletooth
02-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Those were the times, sigh. Great memory Snags.

Just thinking about it makes me smile. Wish I had a time machine.

-Snags

DarthBeek
02-21-2013, 01:05 AM

-Snags

Take me with you! Ha...

Growing up then ruled. Such a special, special time. Turning 40 this year - not so much.

Jedi534
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
His back always reminded me of Carmel Squares... Mmmmmmm...

http://www.rebelscum.com/vintage/vinthothsoldierbk.jpg

Sublevel
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Take me with you! Ha...

Growing up then ruled. Such a special, special time. Turning 40 this year - not so much.

You and me both :( I do feel we had the best time to grow up though - no internet, no mobile phones, no Justin Bieber. We played outside on bikes, gathered around arcade machines and had tv shows like The A team, Airwolf and Knight Rider - oh to go back to the 80's...

DarthBeek
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
You and me both :( I do feel we had the best time to grow up though - no internet, no mobile phones, no Justin Bieber. We played outside on bikes, gathered around arcade machines and had tv shows like The A team, Airwolf and Knight Rider - oh to go back to the 80's...

I wouldn't trade it for anything! My bro and I reminisce quite often....

AussieFortuna
02-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Yes such a special time, i lost my dad when i was 7 in a freak accident, during that time id use my starwars figures to escape, id go down the backyard and build little bases for them with sticks and mud and make sure they were ready for the night time lol, id leave them out and pretend they had a life of their own at night.
Such amazing little charicters..

captainsolo
02-22-2013, 07:11 AM

-Snags

Well said, Well said. If i had a time machine Gold Circle would be the first place i went. My dad bought me my first 2 SW figures there. Chewie and Vader. There could have been all kinds of DT's and Vinyl Jawas hanging on the shelf that day.

Where's Dr. Emmett Brown when you need him??

BlueSnaggletooth
02-23-2013, 04:54 PM
My favorite haunts were BEST, Kiddie City, Sears, Hills and K-Mart.

-Snags

Jedi534
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM

-Snags
Don't you mean BEST ? ;)

Jeff_R
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM

Man, you guys are bringing a tear to my eye with all this talk of the good old days..I know a lot of us are getting old (I'm 38 this year:disgusted:), and old guys always talk about how back in their day it was better. But I truly believe for us 30 somethings that the 80's were the best time to be a kid.

Anyway, as for this figure...I'm stoked they are now getting into ESB figs for this line. At this pace, we should have a biker scout very soonB)

-Jeff

Daigo_Bah
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Dang, me too. I've always had the nostalgia bug (the primary reason I buy toys at 40 years old, and only those characters/themes from back then!), but I find lately that I'm really wishing for the past! Isn't it funny that with all the possibilities and media and technology available to us, we desire simplicity again...

Perry
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
What is the possibility that GG will make the hoth battle pack sets (backpacks and gas masks) that was released with the rebel transport way back?

ramy
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
What is the possibility that GG will make the hoth battle pack sets (backpacks and gas masks) that was released with the rebel transport way back?

That would be really cool.

BlueSnaggletooth
03-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Don't you mean BEST ? ;)

Yes! Exactly. I miss seeing that logo.

-Snags

Hoth_My_Fav
03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
OH MAN!!!!!!!

Funny the Hoth title in this thread on the GG got me looking. I will have to pony up for this one,, seeing that I love Hoth!.... god memories. Ima with you guys! I can still remember, Dad taking me to Kmart, remember when they had the Icee's (i think thats how it was spelled). ... u could get coke or the blue one, it had the Polar Bear on the front... u could smell the hot popcorn cooking too,,, remember that???..... and then Dad and Mom would do their shopping and Dad woudl take me over to the toys, and shoot, he'd pull for me figure or two...

Man, I remember you could find Star Wars everywhere.. i remember Walgreens had them up the BUTT!! all with a markdown sticker,,,, then Bergners, which is Carsons had a toy section,,, with walls and walls of them... Sears,, Pennys,,,, Venture,,,, Jewel Osco had racks of them as well....

Wow, you guys brought back memories. Those were the days huh! That was about the time that Tom Baker was the lead Dr Who lol. Maybe we can find a TARDIS, get a wad of bills and hop around and get what we are missing lol

one final thought,,, man, there were so many toy stores back then,,,, theres a bunch of names I dont even remember them but only in memory the insides,, and now they are long gone. Back in the day, you didnt go to a "Super Store" for all your items. As was mentioned, you didnt go to the Net to find out what was being released,,,,

myh how times have changed!

gijigsaw
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Venture, Zayre, Service Merchandise, Kresge's, Child World, Montgomery Ward...all places I drooled at the figures hanging off the pack.

My first SW figure - Chewbacca.

Child World (as big as Toys R Us) around Chicago - I remember my dad buying me Hoth Han, TaunTaun, and Dengar.

Last Service Merchandise Exclusive - 12" Hoth Leia - mid 90s.

A lot of it are the great memories.

disgruntledjawa
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM

-SnagsToys R Us and Sears were great but BEST always had the better selection. To this day my Dad and step-mom cringe everytime I bring up SW figures. They spent two months going to Sears, TRU, Best and Montgomery Wards to find SW ESB figures for christmas and then wrapped all of them. I think I Dad started to drive her nuts wanting to get every figure they could find and to this day my step-mom puts all small christmas presents in one box or black trash bag with a red bow.

disgruntledjawa
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Venture, Zayre, Service Merchandise, Kresge's, Child World, Montgomery Ward...all places I drooled at the figures hanging off the pack.

My first SW figure - Chewbacca.

Child World (as big as Toys R Us) around Chicago - I remember my dad buying me Hoth Han, TaunTaun, and Dengar.

Last Service Merchandise Exclusive - 12" Hoth Leia - mid 90s.

A lot of it are the great memories. Service Merchandise! The SM and BEST were right next to each other with a small strip center in between that had a comic shop and a slot car track place...and a movie theater in corner of the the strip center. Best strip center EVER!!

Jedi534
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Don't you mean BEST ? ;)

Actually, I screwed up! It's "BEST"!

Glitch
03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
http://architectureandbranding.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/best-langhorne-pa.jpg

Logray
03-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Maybe this is a regional thing, but when I think of who had the best selection of Star Wars figures back in the day, I always think of TG&Y.

BlueSnaggletooth
03-23-2013, 12:06 AM
http://architectureandbranding.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/best-langhorne-pa.jpg

Interesting. That psychedelic motif is something else. Judging by the cars in the parking lot I'd say this was taken in the early 70s.

By the time I discovered BEST it was the late 70s and they had changed to the plain white/grey architecture with red logo. The store that I used to hit (in Harrisburg, PA) was located at the top of this really big hill. I had heard from a few different people that a tornado had touched down right in that area the year before I moved there. That scared the crap out of me as a little kid. Even though I was always excited to go to BEST (and get a SW figure) in the back of my mind I was always nervous that "another tornado would come" and wipe us all out before I got away with my SW score.

-Snags

Glitch
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Interesting. That psychedelic motif is something else.

Yeah, it is, but I chose the pic because of the 70's look, and I found the closed store look in the other pics a bit depressing:

http://architectureandbranding.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/best-box-store-california.jpg

Anyway, I always had great luck finding figures at our local K-mart. More than one time, kids in my class could be found there right after school trying to find the latest figures - most memorably the last three of the first 12 (Death Squad Commander, Sand People, Jawa). Star Wars figures were so popular at the time, they had to keep them behind the customer service counter (in those awesome 12 back header boxes) so that they could easily check to see if they had the figures people were looking for from the endless stream of phone calls. In 1978 these things were like Wonka Bars.

I remember walking in to Kmart one day and finding Empire Strikes Back figures totally out of the blue - well before details of the movie had leaked (ah, days before the internet). I saw figures like the Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear), Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) and Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) and my imagination ran wild. Why were they dressed like this instead of their clothes from the first film? Why is Han in the snow with a furry hood? Why did they change the Stormtroopers? What's a Lando? What's the deal with Luke's nose?

Check out this true vintage Kmart pic:

http://laura.moncur.org/wp-content/photos/KMart-1985-Exterior.jpg

Kevin_Lentz
09-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Got mine preordered from Razor's Edge. I guess if I'm buying this one, I'm buying them all. :)

ramy
09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I have mine ordered too.

UTINI
09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Meh, I'm on the fence with this one. I haven't wanted all of them and I may pass on this. Although, it would look good Hoth Luke, Han and Leia.

Tweekem
09-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Yawn... will get it eventually but will prib wait till I renew my pgm and use the coupon... seriously doubt he will sell out.

Daigo_Bah
09-15-2013, 11:38 PM
This is no doubt my favorite vintage figure, and the only one I actually tried to army build back in 1980. I have yet to buy a jumbo, but this'll be the one!

ramy
09-16-2013, 06:48 AM
This is no doubt my favorite vintage figure, and the only one I actually tried to army build back in 1980. I have yet to buy a jumbo, but this'll be the one!

You are the first person I have ever heard who has this guy as their favorite. Glad someone does. Every character needs to have some love.
If you buy one you will want to buy them all. :)

AaylaSecurasMan
09-16-2013, 10:38 AM

What was your definition of army building back then? I am curious. :)

Daigo_Bah
09-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Haha, not very many- I think I had 4 or 5 at most, to populate the Imperial Attack Base (which I used as a rebel base like it should be). Contributing to my love of this particular figure is its color- brown is my favorite for some reason :-)

GNT
09-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I still have 3 of the real vintage figure floating around somewhere so it's very tempting to pick this one up as well.

OCWanKenobi
09-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't trade it for anything! My bro and I reminisce quite often....

i am just getting caught up in all of these posts. so i had to chime in with my approval of old times haha. tempest. galaga. and going to gold circle every saturday because it took me over a month to find the jedi luke. one sunday morning we had to line up in front of k-mart to sprint to the toy department to get the newest transformers. those were the days. no ebay. no knowledge of scalpers even though i am sure they were out there.

i also refused to buy the imperial transport because it was not in the movie. how is that for hardcore beek?

gijigsaw
12-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Haha, not very many- I think I had 4 or 5 at most, to populate the Imperial Attack Base (which I used as a rebel base like it should be). Contributing to my love of this particular figure is its color- brown is my favorite for some reason :-)

This was one of my favorites as well. Still is. Anything Hoth. Hope the Hoth Rebel Commander gets announced soon as well.

andrewb
12-18-2013, 10:21 PM
This was one of my favorites as well. Still is. Anything Hoth. Hope the Hoth Rebel Commander gets announced soon as well.

Yep - Hoth Rules.....:grin: All them Tauntauns, Probe droids , Snow troopers, At-At's , Snowspeeders etc - Just Awesome..!!

AB

D. Martin
04-28-2014, 01:05 AM
http://www.rebelscum.com/Gentle-Giant-Ltd/Rebel-Soldier-Gentle-Giant-Ltd-Jumbo-Kenner-Star-Wars/Rebel-Soldier-Gentle-Giant-Ltd-Jumbo-Kenner-Star-Wars-011.jpg

Looky looky. Rebel Soldier Jumbo Kenner has been added to the RSPA:

Rebelscum.com: Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear) Jumbo Kenner Figure from Gentle Giant Ltd (http://www.rebelscum.com/Gentle-Giant-ltd/Rebel-Soldier-Gentle-Giant-Ltd-Jumbo-Kenner-Star-Wars.asp)

Daigo_Bah
04-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Pics look great in the archive, thanks! This will be my 4th Jumbo purchase, of an intended 5 to eventually own (Bespin Luke being the last). This Rebel Soldier though, is my single favorite vintage figure, so I'm really anticipating this one!

gijigsaw
06-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Processing email for this one arrived as well, just like the Snowtrooper. Awesome! Let the Hoth battles begin.

Now bring on the Rebel Commander and AT-AT Driver.

Hoth_My_Fav
06-17-2014, 10:09 PM
... and the tauntaun... I hope lol

gijigsaw
06-18-2014, 06:22 AM
I am with you. Can't have a Wampa without a TaunTaun.

Hoth_My_Fav
06-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I am with you. Can't have a Wampa without a TaunTaun.

I mean,,, what do I know,, I am probably wrong for hoping and in my reasoning but I keep thinking..... they have released all those Hoth Jumbos,, and Mr Wampa.... the final missing piece to this would be the taun taun....I mean how can u make Luke and then release the Wampa,, then you make Han for Hoth,,, isnt he going to be missing a taun taun?

so I dunno,, we'll see. I am probably just setting myself up for a super big disappointment lol

gijigsaw
06-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Got him today. Awesomeness!

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/rebel1_zps72c2d148.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness. No new figures shown (was hoping for Rebel Commander and FX-7). Wampa and Life size stormtrooper shown though.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/rebel2_zpsbd485734.jpg

BillMulder
06-25-2014, 09:13 PM
No new figures shown (was hoping for Rebel Commander and FX-7). Wampa and Life size stormtrooper shown though.

Not that they can't go back at some point but now that the AT-AT Driver is coming, I think GG is done with The Empire Strikes Back figures. I would have liked to have seen Bespin Leia, R2-D2 with sensorscope, C-3PO with removable limbs and even an Ugnaught.

andrewb
06-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Hoth rules..!!!

Hoth_My_Fav
06-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Got him today. Awesomeness!

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/rebel1_zps72c2d148.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness. No new figures shown (was hoping for Rebel Commander and FX-7). Wampa and Life size stormtrooper shown though.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o493/gijigsaw/rebel2_zpsbd485734.jpg

wow how nicee!!!!! I agree with my fellow Hoth lovers, Hoth rules!!! ;)

JediJones77
06-30-2014, 01:18 AM
GG's site now says he's out-of-stock when you try to add him to your cart.

Daigo_Bah
12-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Mine's on the way (finally, though it's my favorite vintage figure of all time I still couldn't justify the price of GG and SC items these days). Got it for $57 shipped from an eBay etailer.

AaylaSecurasMan
08-05-2015, 03:37 PM
EE has this guy for $51

Star Wars Hoth Rebel Soldier Jumbo Kenner Action Figure - Gentle Giant - Star Wars - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80311#.VcJ5HflVhKY)