PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner AT-AT Driver Figure

BlueSnaggletooth
02-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Officially revealed today. One of my favorite vintage figures - pretty pumped that he is coming.

-Snags

Glitch
02-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Yep. Who doesn't love the At-At Driver? Always loved the vintage card photo.

http://www.jedidefender.com/collect92/atatdriver%20carded.jpg

BlueSnaggletooth
02-20-2013, 01:53 AM
I remember seeing the AT-AT Driver, Rebel Commander, Leia Hoth and 2-1B for the first time hanging on the pegs together at Hills Department Store in Harrisburg, PA. We had just come from the dentist's office, where I had to have a baby tooth pulled. My mom ended up buying me all four (which was a treat, I rarely got more than one figure at a time unless it was Christmas or my birthday). Good times.

-Snags

Glitch
02-20-2013, 03:54 AM
I remember seeing the AT-AT Driver, Rebel Commander, Leia Hoth and 2-1B for the first time hanging on the pegs together at Hills Department Store in Harrisburg, PA. We had just come from the dentist's office, where I had to have a baby tooth pulled. My mom ended up buying me all four (which was a treat, I rarely got more than one figure at a time unless it was Christmas or my birthday). Good times.

-Snags

No love for the Imperial Commander.

=...(

ramy
02-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah, we need general Veers. :)

Sublevel
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I Love this figure, so glad they're doing it. I'm really looking forward to the ESB figures more than the first 21.

captainsolo
02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah, Awesome looking figure. I guess i need to come to grips with the fact that they are going to make all 92 of these. ( i know, i know..... Im not counting the Ewoks or Droids line)

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Out of the 10 new figures revealed this and the Snowtrooper are must buys for me :)

BlueSnaggletooth
02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
No love for the Imperial Commander.

=...(

For some reason I don't remember seeing him on that trip. Did get him later, though! (Believe it was at the Kmart across the street from the aforementioned Hills).

-Snags

DefSith
02-21-2013, 05:21 AM
Vintage Atat driver will always be the coolest figure since i had him when i was a kid. I love the look & the sculpting of this figure.
I am gonna get it.

Sergiu
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I think I'm going to get this too, to have it displayed next to my 1:1 AT-AT Driver armor.

Hopefully they'll make a TIE Pilot one day too.

Jay_the_Lesser
02-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I think I'm going to get this too, to have it displayed next to my 1:1 AT-AT Driver armor.

It's a pretty good bet Serg. They way it looks, GG is gonna milk this all the way to the end.

Tweekem
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Im in till the end... I cant afford the rela vintage carded figs so why not the Jumbo.. only getting older so these will be easier for me to see when old age sets in.

Sergiu
02-24-2013, 03:51 AM
For now I only have the Jumbo Stormtrooper, which is cool, despite its accuracy issue on brow trim paint apps compared to the real vintage TK. I collect OT Imperials an troopers but don't think I'll get all these figures, except for the AT-AT and TIE Pilots.

jedimasterc
03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
This one might be my last figure. I really can't continue to collect these because of space.

DefSith
03-11-2013, 12:45 PM
This & the Tie-fighter pilot, please :)

J2fold
03-15-2013, 01:01 AM

I am thinking they are going to do this one and I remember as a kid it was one of my favorites. The funny thing is I found a bunch of my old Star Wars figures and the first thing I did was to look for the Tie Fighter Pilot. Finally when I found it I was like "WTH!" It looked like an 1970's low budget black ops F-16 fighter pilot or something. I know some quality control needs to be in force with some of these new figures, but looking back on some of these originals has me scratching my head. Turns out it is one of my least favorites now. The ROTJ jumbo retros might be pretty interesting though because that is when the action figures became more detailed and I am interested in how they will execute the fabric. BTW the AT-AT driver was my all time favorite and I remember seeing it in the commercial when watching Saturday cartoons as a kid and I will be getting one of those. I got to say the ROTJ originals look better then the new ones. If they really wanted to keep those jumbo figures like the originals they should make a variant of the death squad commander and Luke where their heads fall off and a tube of original model glue to glue them back on. LOL memories!!!!

seaweestu
01-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Is there a date for release?

BillMulder
01-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Is there a date for release?

Not yet. With all the figures that they have announced and the release dates for them, I wouldn't expect the AT-AT Driver until the first quarter of 2015 at the earliest.

justabigkid
01-22-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm just curious as to how G.G. is going to screw this figure up:(

andrewb
01-23-2014, 12:26 AM
This & the Tie-fighter pilot, please :)

Me too..!!!

AB

andrewb
01-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Yep. Who doesn't love the At-At Driver? Always loved the vintage card photo.

http://www.jedidefender.com/collect92/atatdriver%20carded.jpg

First figure I ever got..!!

Ab

Sergiu
01-23-2014, 04:19 AM
I really want an AT-AT Driver

CloneTrooper501
01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Saw all the thread activity, thought he was up for PO...got really excited!!!

seaweestu
02-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Officially revealed today. One of my favorite vintage figures - pretty pumped that he is coming.

-Snags
Any idea of date?

BillMulder
02-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Any idea of date?
Not yet. With all the figures that they have announced and the release dates for them, I wouldn't expect the AT-AT Driver until the first quarter of 2015 at the earliest.

Shabby_Blue
02-09-2014, 05:02 PM
What I find strange is that the AT-AT Driver is not pictured among the figures on the more recent cardbacks. He was on the cardbacks for the Gamorrean and Yakface, but none of the others that have shipped this year, which makes me wonder if they decided to push back his release in favor of other figures. The only other one still pictured on recent cardbacks that hasn't been offered for pre-order yet is Bespin Luke. I expect him to be solicited for order any day now though, especially with the recent pre-order for Bespin Han. Gentle Giant has been following themes for the most part in the order of their more recent releases -- first bounty hunters, then Hoth characters, and now the Bespin theme has begun.

AaylaSecurasMan
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
And this is the Comic Con Exclusive this year announced today, thanks to Irish Jedi for the update :)

IrishJedi
06-25-2014, 10:49 AM
No problemo. It's cool. But I was actually hoping for R2...

http://i1.wp.com/www.actionfigureinsider.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ATATDriverKenner630x394.jpg?resize=630%2C394

DefSith
06-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Nooooooo, why must this be an exclusive :(

jediknight49
06-25-2014, 11:08 AM

I agree, another bad move by GG.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
06-25-2014, 11:20 AM

With GG the "exclusive" doesn't really mean much. They ALWAYS have a bunch they sell on their site so you shouldn't have a problem getting him.

ramy
06-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Making this an exclusive is a huge mistake to me.

Jedi534
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
It's not a "bad move" at all. Things have changed so much with the collecting community that GG can actually sell more pieces at Comic-Con than through general distribution. Add a popular character into the mix and you have a no brainer profitable business move IMO. If history teaches us anything, this guy will be made in higher quantities to cater to both the Comic-Con crowd AND their website. 1,000 pieces for Comic-Con and 1,000 pieces for the website rather than just 800 pieces through retail. Now if people want this item to sell out to increase secondary market value, well then I guess it is a bad move... But not on GG's part. ;)

jedimasterc
06-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Yeah,I was able to get both the ESB Stormtrooper and Boba Fett from GG.com after the cons back in 2010. Unfortunately I missed on them at both SDCC (which I didn't go to)and C5(which I did attend).I should be able to get this one.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
06-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Making this an exclusive is a huge mistake to me.

Like I said earlier it will be easy to get. They will sell it on their site too. Like Jedi534 said this is great for GG. They don't give out production numbers so they will sell a ton at the cons and everyone will buy it because it's an exclusive. Then they will sell it on their site and not only will the people who missed out buy it but others as well figuring it's an exclusive and will be worth money. They will sell 3 times the amount doing it like this.

andrewb
06-25-2014, 05:04 PM
AWESOME..!!!! MUST HAVE>>!!!!!! Say no more - THANKYOU GG....:grin:

Who wouldnt want this one......????

This was my first ESB figure (that i can remember)..

andrewb
06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Exclusive or not, surely nearly all of us will get one..??

To me , hes the coolest ESB figure ...!!

Co_Jo_Dai
06-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Very cool Kenner figure to start things off. I'm passing on this, the Kenner figures just aren't my thing, even exclusives...

andrewb
06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
No problemo. It's cool. But I was actually hoping for R2...

http://i1.wp.com/www.actionfigureinsider.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ATATDriverKenner630x394.jpg?resize=630%2C394

R2 will come eventually, guys...... However in the mean time..... At-At Driver is here..!!

Shabby_Blue
06-25-2014, 10:14 PM
What a boring and lazy choice for the SDCC exclusive.

I'm all for getting the AT-AT Driver, but he should just be a regular release thru GG like any other 2nd or 3rd tier character. A show exclusive should be something special... a character of significance in the history of the vintage line, as the vinyl caped Jawa, Blue Snaggletooth, and Yakface all clearly were. Choosing the AT-AT Driver suggests GG has run out of ideas and just picked a random figure that was already in production and ready to go (having been pictured on the back of cardbacks for well over a year now) because they could no longer be bothered with doing something special this year. I guess we should have known better, given the similarly selected 2-1B as this year's PGM exclusive. So can we expect one of the two Bespin Security Guards as next year's SDCC exclusive then?

Yawn.

andrewb
06-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Exclusive or not , Im happy to see it..!!! The normal variation will obviously be the ROTJ version later on..:grin:

Sergiu
06-25-2014, 11:36 PM
But why in the world make such a figure an exclusive? :\ This could be hard to get for me. Stupid Gentle Giant, and they wonder why people "love" them... now I need to fin a way to get one for a regular price, not an inflated one...

andrewb
06-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Maybe they thought not many people would buy him otherwise..??

I see someones offering them on E**y for between $170 - 210 already......:whistling:

gijigsaw
06-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Maybe they thought not many people would buy him otherwise..??

I see someones offering them on E**y for between $170 - 210 already......:whistling:

Typical pre-SDCC overinflated pre-sales. As many have mentioned, a few weeks after SDCC, GG will be selling to the general public and Ebay prices will crash as well. Just look at the Blue Snaggletooth. You can't give those away these days. Great figure - happy to see - but I agree a different exclusive would have been better. Was hoping for Luke Stormtrooper. Oh well.

Hoth_My_Fav
06-26-2014, 10:06 AM
What a boring and lazy choice for the SDCC exclusive.

I'm all for getting the AT-AT Driver, but he should just be a regular release thru GG like any other 2nd or 3rd tier character. A show exclusive should be something special... a character of significance in the history of the vintage line, as the vinyl caped Jawa, Blue Snaggletooth, and Yakface all clearly were. Choosing the AT-AT Driver suggests GG has run out of ideas and just picked a random figure that was already in production and ready to go (having been pictured on the back of cardbacks for well over a year now) because they could no longer be bothered with doing something special this year. I guess we should have known better, given the similarly selected 2-1B as this year's PGM exclusive. So can we expect one of the two Bespin Security Guards as next year's SDCC exclusive then?

Yawn.

I thought about this and what you wrote. You said it well and agree. Yakface and the others you mention I can see how they would be "special" for a special show. How is this release special? Dont get me wrong, I like him and I am all in for him... but thought they would do something more show stopping....

Tweekem
06-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Meh on exclusive but the fig is great. Was hoping for Luke Stormy myself.... maybe next year.

jedimasterc
06-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Went ahead and pre ordered the AT-At drive. I do agree that it should have been something more special. I think a POTF Anakin would have been cool.

Logray
06-26-2014, 06:41 PM
I would love to see R2 and/or 3PO from the Droids cartoon as the exclusive.

jedimasterc
06-26-2014, 07:40 PM

That would be a great suggestion.

TheGoodDr
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Totally agree with the comments regarding this exclusive being not overly 'special'. Like everyone else releasing the AT-AT Driver is totally cool....making it an exclusive is not. I'm no longer a PGM (2-1B was the final straw after last year's dreadful first-shot Boba Fett) so can't get one that way, and I'm most certainly not going to SDCC (being here in Australia). My only hope is either eBay or that somehow GG do offer it up for sale to the general public. The AT-AT Driver is by far one of the coolest vintage figures ever made so to not release him as part of the regular line is baffling to me. It can be argued that any one of the the final 17 POTF figures can certainly be considered 'special' enough to granted exclusivity privileges but not a gun figure like this one. :(

andrewb
06-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Agree with your comments TheGoodDr -- Im thinking maybe Popcultcha in Geelong will get them in eventually??:grin:

Thats where i got my Stormtrooper a year or so ago..??

Andrew B

ATATDRIVER
06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Has always been my favorite ! Can't really explain it. Just something about seeing these guys walking an AT-AT towards the rebel base on Hoth ....... My life was forever changed after that point. :-)

andrewb
06-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Who'd have thought you'd be interested in this...???:P

DefSith
07-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Eventually, I guess.

Glitch
07-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Boring, uncreative exclusive.

Kevin_Lentz
07-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Cleared off some space for this and other pre-ordered figures. This one will look sweet with the other imperials - I think it's a great choice for a release, and if an exclusive is the way GG needed to do it, fine by me.

ramy
07-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Cleared off some space for this and other pre-ordered figures. This one will look sweet with the other imperials - I think it's a great choice for a release, and if an exclusive is the way GG needed to do it, fine by me.

I like him too. Wish they would have done a more popular figure for the exclusive though, but oh well. I pre-ordered him.

andrewb
07-24-2014, 01:48 AM
Im really digging the pic of this at SDCC just now... (In the Minibust section) - Absolute must have for me...

Kaneda_01
07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Awesome... processing notification received... looks like they will be processing tomorrow. :O)

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
07-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Processed :)

andrewb
07-31-2014, 05:37 PM
This will be my favourite GG vintage fig yet... !!!

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
08-02-2014, 01:29 AM
It has shipped and will be here next week :)

ramy
08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
It has shipped and will be here next week :)

Thursday for me.

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
08-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Thursday for me.

Same for me :)

Hoth_My_Fav
08-03-2014, 07:44 PM
who has the best price on this?

SITH_DARTH_RAGE
08-03-2014, 09:02 PM

AT-AT Driver Vintage Jumbo Figure - SDCC 2014 Exclusive (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/pgm80417.htm)

ramy
08-04-2014, 06:40 AM

Gentle Giant is the only place to get it right now.

AaylaSecurasMan
08-04-2014, 10:27 AM

AT-AT Driver Vintage Jumbo Figure - SDCC 2014 Exclusive (http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/product_p/pgm80417.htm)

Gentle Giant is the only place to get it right now.

Don't worry, several e-tailers will have him in the next few weeks as that has been the case with all the previous exclusives.

Hoth_My_Fav
08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Don't worry, several e-tailers will have him in the next few weeks as that has been the case with all the previous exclusives.

thanks man! Looking forward to getting him!

SexxyDrummerBoy1
08-05-2014, 09:01 AM
My mail lady just delivered my AT-AT Driver and he looks good! No complaints here:-)

captainsolo
08-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Theyre up for everyone.

AaylaSecurasMan
08-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Theyre up for everyone.

Yep, got an e-mail from GG indicating that this guy is now available to be ordered by the general public (no longer an exclusive). Hoth_my_Fav go and get it!

Hoth_My_Fav
08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Yep, got an e-mail from GG indicating that this guy is now available to be ordered by the general public (no longer an exclusive). Hoth_my_Fav go and get it!

sweeeettt! thanks guys!

SexxyDrummerBoy1
08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/thumbs/image3595.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/image3595.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/thumbs/image3596.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/image3596.jpg) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/thumbs/image3594.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4171/image3594.jpg)

Sergiu
08-07-2014, 05:45 AM
He is so ugly and so awesome at the same time! Cannot wait for mine :)

Glitch
08-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Still available more than a day after they opened it to the general public. I get the feeling these weren't much of a hit at Comic Con.

Boring choice for a high profile exclusive in a line that's growing thin on excitement.

Kevin_Lentz
08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Got mine in the mail today. Very pleased with it!

Hoth_My_Fav
08-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Still available more than a day after they opened it to the general public. I get the feeling these weren't much of a hit at Comic Con.

Boring choice for a high profile exclusive in a line that's growing thin on excitement.

Yea I dont think hes a overwhelmingly special figure in the SW... tho I do like him with his gear on, and I mean a jumbo version next to my AFA graded one is gonna look sweeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt.... now can we please get a Jumbo AT ST for him lol jk B)

Shabby_Blue
08-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Yup, it was a horrible choice for an SDCC exclusive. They can't just throw any random figure out there as their yearly con exclusive. It needed to be something of special significance like previous years. Hopefully GG learns their lesson from this for next year.

Hoth_My_Fav
08-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Yup, it was a horrible choice for an SDCC exclusive. They can't just throw any random figure out there as their yearly con exclusive. It needed to be something of special significance like previous years. Hopefully GG learns their lesson from this for next year.

Yea, like doing a tauntaun!!! lol

Logray
08-08-2014, 09:21 PM
AT-AT Driver was one of my favorite vintage figures. That said, a convention exclusive should be something like Carbonite Han.

AaylaSecurasMan
08-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Available now over at EE $79.99 and Free Shipping

Star Wars AT-AT Driver Jumbo Kenner Action Figures - Gentle Giant - Star Wars - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80417#.U-o9CfldU30)

Zodach
08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Free shipping and no tax! Dangit Gentle Giant, why didn't I hold out on you. I know they do this every year, but it gets really annoying when I could have waited and saved $20. Oh well, I guess the McQuarrie Luke and Rocket Raccoon MB at MSRP make up for it.

Hoth_My_Fav
08-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Available now over at EE $79.99 and Free Shipping

Star Wars AT-AT Driver Jumbo Kenner Action Figures - Gentle Giant - Star Wars - Action Figures at Entertainment Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GE80417#.U-o9CfldU30)

Thank you for this!!! Glad I been busy with work and got sidetracked almost ordered directly from GG.....this is a great deal and WAY CHEAPER than eBay!!

Obi_Phantom_Jedi
08-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Mine finally turned up from the U.S. with a crushed/split shell. Emailed GG on Friday, with pictures. Heard nothing! What is the best way to contact them nowadays re: issues like this?

JoeCardone
08-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Call them. I was home when UPS came with a crushed box and refused it. They re-sent out the re-order right away. Ask for Customer Service.

jedimasterc
08-19-2014, 08:03 PM
mine came in good shape. The top flap was bent a little but no damage to the bubble.

Sergiu
09-05-2014, 04:42 AM
The awesome Gentle Giant Jumbo Vintage AT-AT Driver figure arrived (thanks a lot Tweekem :)), and now it is on display next to his bigger brother:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/sergiurusu/Kotobukiya%20and%20Gentle%20Giant/VintageGentleGiant12inchesAT-ATDriver01-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/sergiurusu/Kotobukiya%20and%20Gentle%20Giant/VintageGentleGiant12inchesAT-ATDriver03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/sergiurusu/Collection%20display/AT-ATDriverdisplay.jpg

Clutters
12-10-2014, 10:30 PM
But why in the world make such a figure an exclusive? :\ This could be hard to get for me. Stupid Gentle Giant, and they wonder why people "love" them... now I need to find a way to get one for a regular price, not an inflated one...

Well this turned out not to be a problem, for me at least. Just caught one off eBay for $67 with great shipping to Australia after missing out on BBTS's cyber Monday price of $64 (but with higher shipping).

I have avoided the troopers so far because of the "bubble-bath bottle" look the matte white vinyl has, but I think this figure won't bother me as much on that issue for some reason. Maybe it's age/paint wear, buy my childhood vintage AT-AT Driver has a matte look to it.

Sergiu
12-11-2014, 07:04 AM
In the end no problem here either, look at my post above

Clutters
12-11-2014, 10:55 PM
In the end no problem here either, look at my post above

I did look at your post - your photos convinced me to buy one! Thanks!
Awesome display by the way. I always enjoy looking at character-centric displays where the character is a minor player in the scheme of the franchise. It's like a mini-museum to a small part of the history of a film.