PDA

View Full Version : Max Rebo Band - Rumor

GNT
07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Status - Rumor

Another rumour from Stan has popped up before and recently again about the Max Rebo Band:

What more could
You ask far thAn original max Rebo band!!! New tool is what I hearing
In a retro format!

Could this be what we've been waiting for, a decent band at last?

Scarrviper
07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
A vintage box max rebo band 3 pack would be amazing, especially if everything is new, including the the highly demanded original puppet version of sy snootles.

Agen_Kolar
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I would pay so much money for this. Hopefully they sculpt an accurate organ!

trandoshanhunter
07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
This would be a dream come true in vintage packaging.

Idpullthecurtain
07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
The old band is starting to look terrible, so I would love this. Some has already mentioned the full Max Rebo organ, which I would love to see. The original Sy would be amazing. This is up there with Cantina alcoves as like the total dream exclusive. I will be really bummed if these rumours aren't true.

tanksmasher
07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Hopefully they sculpt an accurate organ!

Cough...ahem...a what?

Idpullthecurtain
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Cough...ahem...a what?

lol
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2606/3867805222_79f86130ff_z.jpg

Michael_Knight
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I would pay so much money for this. Hopefully they sculpt an accurate organ!

Agreed! No more skimping Hasbro. Make the whole thing. Not half of it.

tanksmasher
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
lol
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2606/3867805222_79f86130ff_z.jpg

Ohhhhhh..... ;)

I'd love to see a new band even though I just bought the old one last year.

BrettX209
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
If they did this in a vintage style packaging, with vintage style Sy Snootles, I would hardly be able to contain my excitement.

darthsatan
07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, I'd really like Sy. Happy with the others but I can see it coming as a Vintage boxed/ carded exclusive.

BXR_1138
07-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh heck yes!

Gothiczartan84
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
which ones that needed new sculpt? the only ones I like to see get re made are all the dancers from jabba's palace.

http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2cs-jddancers.jpg

Masterfett
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Definitely be up for an update for him, been after a new Max Rebo and Musical Organ for some time now!

Based on recent Alien figures, I'm pretty sure a new one would look great!

BlackRook
07-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm worried Lucasfilm will block the puppet Sy Snootles and force them to use the CG one.

Darth_Brett
07-24-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm worried Lucasfilm will block the puppet Sy Snootles and force them to use the CG one.

This was specifically asked about in a Q&A about 2 years ago (Lak Sivrak & Arleil Schous were also mentioned) and Hasbro said LucasFilm doesn't have any problem with new figures being made of those characters specifically.

Idpullthecurtain
07-24-2012, 03:52 AM
which ones that needed new sculpt? the only ones I like to see get re made are all the dancers from jabba's palace.

http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2cs-jddancers.jpg

I cant imagine the dancers being remade. But it would be cool.

Idpullthecurtain
07-24-2012, 03:59 AM
I would really love to see an update of this;
http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2banddroopyfr.jpg

Trooper31
07-24-2012, 06:30 AM
This was specifically asked about in a Q&A about 2 years ago (Lak Sivrak & Arleil Schous were also mentioned) and Hasbro said LucasFilm doesn't have any problem with new figures being made of those characters specifically.

I had forgotten about that.

A new Rebo band, even if just the priginal three, would be fine with me. I'm happy with what I have already, but if they are better, then I'd think about picking one up.

GNT
07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
which ones that needed new sculpt? the only ones I like to see get re made are all the dancers from jabba's palace

Those are pretty aweful as well, Hasbro needs to do a lot of updating older sculpts. I do like those figures but they leave a lot to be desired sadly.

Droidworld
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd REALLY prefer the puppet version vs the cg version for Sy, but as long as they include her hat with feather, I'll be happy.

Ty
07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
My Jabba's Palace is the pre-SE version, so a vintage Sy is a must.

Of course I have Rappertunie, the dancers, CG Sy and Joh Yowza (I actually have Joh in my palace as a stand-in for the Jabba's Palace Yazzum) Umpass Stay and Ak-Rev but (with aforementioned exception of Joh) they're neatly tucked away somewhere and aren't present in my diorama. I liked the SE, but that CG Sy is the worst!!

Idpullthecurtain
07-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd REALLY prefer the puppet version vs the cg version for Sy, but as long as they include her hat with feather, I'll be happy.

If the current one wasnt so old I would say the puppet version would be a shoe-in. But since the only one we have is so old and dated, it makes me wonder if they would be just as likely to re-do that one again.

eriks_mask
07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm confident we'll see the puppet Sy - look at any bust, statue, etc of her on the market. They all are based on the original 83 design. Heck her appearance in the Clone Wars even resembled her original design more than the Special Edition redesign. Besides the Hasbro figure, I can't really think of any other collectible that immortalizes the CG Sy. Lets hope they give us what we want!

I really do hope these come to pass! The Max Rebo band are some of the most iconic characters from Jabba's Palace.

DarthRavenger
07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I want this so bad. Hasbro could make 2 heads for Sy Snoodles with one for both vintage and SE.
I would rather the vintage head actually be on the figure shown with the others in the package and the se head be hidden.
Also that accurate max rebo organ is a must too.

Zuma77
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Yeah I would love to see a new Max rebo band set, that would be great!

Masterfett
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I cant imagine the dancers being remade. But it would be cool.

Yes, yes it would.
In fact I wouldn't mind if the whole band got updates.

darthsatan
07-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm not bothered about the rest of the band bar an original Sy. I think the next most desperate one to do is the Yuzzum though.

Snootlespoodoo
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! PLEASE HASBRO! Original Sy Snootles puppet, full organ for max! A more solidly painted and plump Droopy=Collector Heaven! WIll be worth the wait after ALL these years if they knock it out of the park! Ill tak three packs! and Vintage packaging would be so Nostalgic! And like the previous post, The Gentle Giant Statue and mini-bust as well as the Rumored Sideshow 12' Band Set, will be modeled after the original SY, I have no doubt Hasbro will be SMART and make that one! Besides, orginal puppet IS in the Special Edition for a second so it's legit with Lucas Film I'm sure :) SO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!

Idpullthecurtain
07-29-2012, 07:14 AM
http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/v/vspfiles/photos/9091A-2.jpg

This image really whets my appetite for what we could have. I feel like a new Rebo Band is long overdue.

DarthJefe
08-04-2012, 03:42 AM
I'll believe this when I see it.

Idpullthecurtain
08-04-2012, 03:47 AM
I'll believe this when I see it.

I dunno, if the line continues for a few more years, its surely gotta be a cert. Releasing it may not be so easy cos I guess it needs to be an exclusive. But there is not doubt the POTF2 ones are looking really old now. I am sure it is becoming more and more of a priority for them.

DulokShaman
08-04-2012, 04:14 AM
I still don't have either of the previous Max Rebo Band incarnations so I'd really like a set like this.

ZX3
08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Another from the waning field of Kenner nostolgia picks from Hasbro. If Kenner had never made it back in '83 I wonder, would it now be looking at its fourth incarnation?
I'm not opposed to it (or other original Kenner remakes) persay, but Jabba's court is full of other as of yet untapped interesting aliens just waiting for plastic that I don't already own multiple versions of.

Trooper31
08-07-2012, 06:48 AM
I dunno, if the line continues for a few more years, its surely gotta be a cert. Releasing it may not be so easy cos I guess it needs to be an exclusive. But there is not doubt the POTF2 ones are looking really old now. I am sure it is becoming more and more of a priority for them.

You'd think that with ROTJ 3D coming, this would make a great BP. I'm not sure if doing them singly would work. It might because once somebody bought one, they'd want the others, but then they'd have to do one per year/half year.

Droidworld
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
You'd think that with ROTJ 3D coming, this would make a great BP. I'm not sure if doing them singly would work. It might because once somebody bought one, they'd want the others, but then they'd have to do one per year/half year.

I would much prefer a BP, or pairs, over waiting, with the chance of one or two of the band members being rare, or poorly distributed. Chances are...

Idpullthecurtain
08-07-2012, 10:55 AM

I think it would work well as exclusive multi-packs. It would be difficult to do them as Basic cards, it would take forever.

homer_sapien
08-08-2012, 04:09 PM

When/if its made I'm hoping its a window box diorama type set up with all the three of them set set up like in Jedi with the inside of the box printed to look like the area behind and around them.

Idpullthecurtain
08-12-2012, 07:05 AM
When/if its made I'm hoping its a window box diorama type set up with all the three of them set set up like in Jedi with the inside of the box printed to look like the area behind and around them.

I would love to see these in the Vintage packaging, much like the Ewok Scouts and the AT-ST Pilots.

darthsatan
08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I always preferred to window box for this set:

Return of the Jedi Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band Action Figure Set - Star Wars Collectors Archive (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=39670)

Idpullthecurtain
08-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I always preferred to window box for this set:

Return of the Jedi Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band Action Figure Set - Star Wars Collectors Archive (http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=39670)

I dont think we got that one in the UK? But I do like that one too, it would be great to get a new one like that.

ScorpioAttack
08-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I only ever saw it in a Tri-logo box, and I never had one from new. My set was pieced together individually from fleamarkets and car boot sales. Still don't have the mic stands or Droopy's instrument!

Darth_Brett
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I grew up in the States so I had the window box version, but I actually think I like the Tri-Logo box better, even though I had never seen it before this just came up in this thread.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/figuretoys/rebo-front.jpg
http://www.vectis.co.uk/AuctionImages/423/280_l.jpg

jlw515
08-14-2012, 03:06 PM
With the exception of Droopy McCool, I think the vintage figures look better than the POTF2 sets that were produced.

I would totally love it if Hasbro updated this, especially if they updated Max's organ with the horn at the side; give Sy her hat & feather; & include the microphone stands.

Jason

Jabbapalacespy
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I'll believe this win I see it. I would love a new set based on the vintage. I still use a vintage Sy Snootles in my Jabba's throne room diorama.

DarthPaxis
08-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm curious, do you think they would only do the three from the Vintage line or would they include the SE members released in POTF2?

trandoshanhunter
08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm curious, do you think they would only do the three from the Vintage line or would they include the SE members released in POTF2?
I hope they just do the Vintage three. I don't give a frick about seeing the SE members updated.

Darth_Brett
08-15-2012, 04:35 AM
I hope they just do the Vintage three. I don't give a frick about seeing the SE members updated.

I agree, but to honestly answer the question objectively I do not think Hasbro will do the SE members. The original 3 seem to be niche enough but also have that added vintage appeal factor that the SE figs don't have. Not to mention tooling up 3 new figures and a new organ would be costly enough for Hasbro.

The vintage Rebo Band does look good still and the POTF2 figures really weren't a huge upgrade (Sy was a downgrade IMO).

Chamberlain
08-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Count me in for an update. As long as it isn't cartoon lips sy snootles, Hasbro will have my dollar.

INTHEWAY
08-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Definite pick up for me, depending if all the figures are retools with the puppet version of Sy Snootles.

GAdmiralThrawn
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I would buy an update.

eriks_mask
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
On the Curto/Burns Collectors Cast, a question was brought up to Derryl regarding what figures he would want to see updated on Vintage card, whenever Vintage returns. He said he'd love to see a modern update of every Vintage character with the exclusion of Droopy, Max, and Sy. :(

Rune_Haako
08-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Well Stan never said they'd be released as carded figures.

Snootlespoodoo
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
WORST NEWS I'VE HEARD!!!! ugh! only thing I've been looking forward to. Why is the Rebo Band so Tabu?!?! IT is so out of date, it was in the orginal Vintage! Just redo the iconic band in its glory! We should Rally! THEY NNED AN UPDATE! hopefully Hasbro is just trying to throw us off track but it's sad to think these guys won't be updated, well, not sad but STUPID! ugh

Scarrviper
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
On the Curto/Burns Collectors Cast, a question was brought up to Derryl regarding what figures he would want to see updated on Vintage card, whenever Vintage returns. He said he'd love to see a modern update of every Vintage character with the exclusion of Droopy, Max, and Sy. :(

I was just about to post about that. It's really unfortunate that they don't see the need for these three to be updated.

trandoshanhunter
08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Damn it, that's really dissapointing. :(

GarvenDreis
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
You sure DDP didn't mean in say inclusion?

CHEWIE
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I think a box set of these, similar to the original set would be great. And new sculpts is a must, in my opinion. Otherwise, I'd pass.

my_kind_of_scum
08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
You sure DDP didn't mean in say inclusion?

It's pretty obvious if you listen that these figures are not coming for a very long time if at all...

Choi
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
-Why is everyone acting as if DDP said they weren't coming. He said they weren't coming on Vintage cards, hopefully because they're coming this year as a multipack.

Rune_Haako
08-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Exactly, that's what I meant.

GarvenDreis
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
It's pretty obvious if you listen that these figures are not coming for a very long time if at all...
Well I didn't listen to it...

And I'd like to think optimistically. ;)

GonkSeries
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
If this "rumored" Sy Snootles band is more than a rumor then I hope its just the 3 characters of Sy, Max, and Droopy and none of those special edition characters.

Scarrviper
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
If this "rumored" Sy Snootles band is more than a rumor then I hope its just the 3 characters of Sy, Max, and Droopy and none of those special edition characters.

For once, I actually agree with you on something.

my_kind_of_scum
08-29-2012, 08:19 PM

As long as it definitely has those three, I wouldn't mind redo's of some of the se additions also.

Evergrey
08-30-2012, 03:44 AM
One thing I still don't have (although I had plenty of opportunities to buy them)
is the Max Rebo Band, just because I have been waiting and hoping for years
that these will get some new sculpts ... would be great to see that happen ...

Trooper31
08-31-2012, 04:32 AM

I'd be fine with that. We already have the two drummers and the others could be done single-carded or in another pack. I don't really want a pack that has an enormous price. Those three are the classics, so just leave it at that.

Pete_Fett
08-31-2012, 06:56 AM
If they do just the those three I would hope that they take advantage of putting exclusives in the "Vintage" look and give us a recreation of either the US window-box packaging (which they said is somewhat expensive because of the clear plastic window) OR in the closed-box Tri-logo-style packaging.

(I hope this image works)

http://www.vectis.co.uk/AuctionImages/388/2041_l.jpg

AnthonyP
08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Vintage packaging would be ideal for this set.

GNT
09-02-2012, 07:02 AM
If they do just the those three I would hope that they take advantage of putting exclusives in the "Vintage" look and give us a recreation of either the US window-box packaging (which they said is somewhat expensive because of the clear plastic window) OR in the closed-box Tri-logo-style packaging.

Hasbro could always remove the Trilogo stuff and market it as a normal english release with one Vintage logo in the corner. That'll work.

Trooper31
09-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Vintage packaging would be ideal for this set.

And this is something that would make it easier for Hasbro to do. Has anybody asking Hasbro about this actually clarified the question to mean just these three? If not, Hasbro might be assuming we mean all of the band members from the SE and that would be a pretty big number for something like this.

steve2477
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I would love an articulated Max Rebo, Droopy McCool and Sy Snootles(not SE ROTJ). If Hasbro just concentrated on these 3 alone in a boxset. That would be better to begin with. Then Hasbro could maybe a year later or so, release the SE extended band members in 2 more boxsets or something.

JACKOFTRADZE
09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Then Hasbro could maybe a year later or so, release the SE extended band members in 2 more boxsets or something.

I would rather we all forget the atrocity of the SE band and just go all classic with the 70's Lapni Nek disco song style Max Rebo band of just 3 members. I cringed in 1997 when I saw what they did...I still cringe to this day with the Looney Tunes they inserted. (Plus the Boba flirt scene is so dumb and pathetic looking. Nothing like a pot bellied Boba Fett flirting with the neon colored zooble.) The Wal Mart band sets flopped, so I cant see a desire other than the original classic style band.

How many here like the revised SE band? Just curious.

DontDissTheFett
09-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I would rather we all forget the atrocity of the SE band and just go all classic with the 70's Lapni Nek disco song style Max Rebo band of just 3 members. I cringed in 1997 when I saw what they did...I still cringe to this day with the Looney Tunes they inserted. (Plus the Boba flirt scene is so dumb and pathetic looking. Nothing like a pot bellied Boba Fett flirting with the neon colored zooble.) The Wal Mart band sets flopped, so I cant see a desire other than the original classic style band.

How many here like the revised SE band? Just curious.

LFL's next release of the movies on dvd/BD will have Slash from Guns N Roses digitally inserted into the film with him playing the solo from "Paradise City". Then on the Sail Barge on the way to the Sarlacc he will be seen snorting lines off his Marshall stack with Boba and trying to convince Leia to come back to his room.

Will the SE revisions never cease??

Oola
09-09-2012, 04:51 AM
I like the Lapni Nek song and the Vintage Sy best.
But I also like the added characters of Rystáll, Lyn and Greeata.
So for me the next verson shuld be Lapni Nek w/ vintage Sy and the backup singers. But they most not steal the spotlight from Oola and Yarna.
Lucas kan keep Joh, Ak-rev, Doda, Barquin, Rappertunie, Umpass-stray and Jedi Rocks to himself.

Waggy
09-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I like the Lapni Nek song and the Vintage Sy best.

I think that with the 3D release LFL should release a remix of this song along with the cantina number as part of a super ultra uber collectors special unlimited forever edition mp3 free download on iTunes for those who have seen the 3D ROTJ at least 18 times.

Trooper31
09-10-2012, 02:53 AM
I prefer the original band. The song was much better.

The WM pack flopped and in my opinion it partially flopped because it was just too much and a lot of old stuff. For them to redo a bunch of those figures and put them all in a pack would cost way too much.

I'd say do the vintage three. Then they could release a band member or two over a couple of years on single cards. They could always do a retor band 2-packs again on POTF2 cards.;)

my_kind_of_scum
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I would prefer they update the original three first and foremost.

But yeah, I do like (most of) the se band members. I would for instance, love an updated rappertunie that could stand apart from his perch and would definitely like to see the dancers redone. While the yuzzum is my least favorite new member, his figure is among the worst of the modern era figures and I would buy a new one.

Idpullthecurtain
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM

But yeah, I do like (most of) the se band members. I would for instance, love an updated rappertunie that could stand apart from his perch and would definitely like to see the dancers redone. While the yuzzum is my least favorite new member, his figure is among the worst of the modern era figures and I would buy a new one.

Totally agree that Yuzzum is terrible. And the worst thing about Rappertunie is its scale. He is waaaaay too big.

DarkArtist
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
love the concept of a Vintage Kenner 3-pack of the Rebo Band... would make it even more killer if there was a sound chip that could play the classic ROTJ tune as well as the Special Edition version.

Idpullthecurtain
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
love the concept of a Vintage Kenner 3-pack of the Rebo Band... would make it even more killer if there was a sound chip that could play the classic ROTJ tune as well as the Special Edition version.

Settle down there ;)
I think it would fit in great with the Vintage packaging like how they did the Ewoks and AT-ST Drivers.

steve2477
09-11-2012, 11:21 AM

The sound effect idea is a good one, they could include a stage for the 3 figs to stand on or just fit the sounds into Max Rebo's Organ.

Trooper31
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM

I'd be fine with the others being made as long as the original three were made first. I guess Hasbro just needs to find the right way of doing it. The three-pack would be best so they could fit Max's keyboard in the pack as well. I think if they did that pack one year and then did some packs each year, but not all at once, there might be more interest in the whole thing.

Idpullthecurtain
01-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Max Rebo still holds up quite well (but the organ needs re-doing)
But the rest of the band look pretty terrible now. I can imagine a new Droopy McCool looking sensational. Lets hope they get to them soon?

GNT
01-06-2013, 11:06 PM
I'd love to see a new organ with electronic sounds, that'd be impressive but probably extremely expensive for good old Hasbro.

Chamberlain
02-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Since Hasbro said that a new band was not in the cards, why can't they just do a puppet version of Sy on a single card when they finally decide to get back around to, you know, making new figures?

John_Solo
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Since Hasbro said that a new band was not in the cards, why can't they just do a puppet version of Sy on a single card when they finally decide to get back around to, you know, making new figures?

This would be GREAT. On a vintage card. If they need fans to subsidize it, do it via the Jocasta Nu channel. Online only. Because I could see this being a turd in store, same as the band was in 1983.

tanksmasher
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I'd like to know who their top marketing analyst is.

DJ121
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Well, according to toyfair the black series is going to be ALL new figures with a select few repaint upgrades. So they are making new figures.
And this is starting to beat a dead horse. There will not be a new Rebo band update in the foreseeable future.

It's just like the sail barge, or a death star playset. Not going to happen. Let it go and move on. There are actually some pretty good things coming. Most of it is crap right now, but there are some nice figures on the way.

TK_842
02-13-2013, 08:32 AM
For my part, i think patience is the key right now. We are on an all time low in the modern line but i believe there is light not far ahead. With the new movies coming, and assuming hard core collectors stick around in the couple next year, we'll get more chances at never before released characters from both the OT and the PT.

Scarrviper
02-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Well, according to toyfair the black series is going to be ALL new figures with a select few repaint upgrades. So they are making new figures.
And this is starting to beat a dead horse. There will not be a new Rebo band update in the foreseeable future.

It's just like the sail barge, or a death star playset. Not going to happen. Let it go and move on. There are actually some pretty good things coming. Most of it is crap right now, but there are some nice figures on the way.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/423/untitle.JPG

Remaking the original 1983 Max Rebo band should be on the priorities list.

Choi
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd like to know who their top marketing analyst is.

-Apparently someone who can't tell the diference between packs of old, outdated sculpts and a set of new, outstanding sculpts for three original Kenner figures. I could see this working as an online exclusive, though it would probably cost the same as the '07 packs for 2 less figures.

Michael_Knight
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I don't know why they stubbornly refuse to do this set. There has got to be profitable market viability in it as an exclusive through the right channels. I see far more obscure things made with other licences and the Max Rebo band is not obscure.

John_Solo
02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I don't know why they stubbornly refuse to do this set. There has got to be profitable market viability in it as an exclusive through the right channels. I see far more obscure things made with other licences and the Max Rebo band is not obscure.

I'd bet that part of it about the Special Edition vs. '83 Puppet. There's probably a pretty marginal audience for this set in the first place, and the bulk of that already small group probably wants Sy to be based on the puppet, not the CGI model. And Lucasfilm probably said no dice to anything but the SE model. So maybe Hasbro say how awful the last sets did, plus anticipated the backlash they'd hit by not being able to provide the puppet Sy... and just said **** it. Why bother.

That being said - I wonder if they could sneak these out over a few years as single figures, and do a swappable head for Sy. They could even use the same old ball organ mold for max. That thing was good enough, right?

Idpullthecurtain
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Hasbro recently made some reference to the re-releases in 2007? I guess they didnt sell well, and so that impacts on any future releases. Its really frustrating because, obviously, they were terrible figures and shouldnt have even been put back out on the market. And because of that, we dont get a new Rebo Band
:(

tanksmasher
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Hasbro recently made some reference to the re-releases in 2007? I guess they didnt sell well, and so that impacts on any future releases. Its really frustrating because, obviously, they were terrible figures and shouldnt have even been put back out on the market. And because of that, we dont get a new Rebo Band
:(

Exactly. It's a terrible analysis on their part. I actually bought them but only because I never had the originals and I figured we'd never see updates at the time. Plus they're way out of scale. But I never opened them, hoping still that we might see something new.

Chamberlain
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Well, according to toyfair the black series is going to be ALL new figures

this is starting to beat a dead horse

Most of it is crap right now, but there are some nice figures on the way.

Maybe I enjoy beating a dead horse? Ever thought of that? Did you ever consider that there are dozens of threads on this forum that center around speculation? Did it ever occur to you that perhaps I forgot to PM you to see if I could have permission to make a statement or ask a question?

Look, I think everyone who wants the band is mostly after a decent Snootles. The figures didn't sell last time they were released because Hasbro wanted to force feed us a crappy figure with each member of the original band. I'm willing to bet, though, that almost every people on this forum that was collecting when those figures were offered, have them. hasbro doesn't have to release a Sy Snootles if they don't think it's justified. No sweat off my sack. I have a custom puppet Snootles that looks pretty damn good. I just happen to think that slapping that version of the character on a single card will satify a lot of people on this forum. That way, when they do get around to releasing a band three pack, they'll already have a Sy on file to toss in there.

Lord_kain
02-14-2013, 07:02 AM
I remember seeing the max rebo band in stores I couldnt force myself to buy them because they were such poor figures, they should have been released as TRU multipacks instead of podracer pilots. All new and articulated would have been awesome, so if they had been at the time they would have sold, just lazy hasbro. Will they ever see the error of their ways.

EmperorPalpitate
02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
I think the last Max Rebo holds up just fine, and the Droopy would be fine if they improved (removed?) the paint apps. We definitely need a modern sculpt of the puppet Sy though. The SE one just bugs me. A lot.

my_kind_of_scum
02-15-2013, 12:17 AM

What do you know that we don't about what's on the way because I don't see much nice in 2013.

For my part, i think patience is the key right now. We are on an all time low in the modern line but i believe there is light not far ahead. With the new movies coming, and assuming hard core collectors stick around in the couple next year, we'll get more chances at never before released characters from both the OT and the PT.

I don't know - between the sequels and the spin-offs, It looks like we are going to be seeing one new star wars film a year for a while. After 2014, I don't see much chance for PT and OT figures, personally.

John_Solo
02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't know - between the sequels and the spin-offs, It looks like we are going to be seeing one new star wars film a year for a while. After 2014, I don't see much chance for PT and OT figures, personally.

Why 2014? I don't think the first new movie will be able to premiere until 2016 - I know they'd stated 2015 for Episode VII, but the rumblings are now that that is unlikely.

But I do agree with entirely: once the new movies start to hit, OT, PT, EU and TCW will take a backseat in the 3.75" lines. But that's almost 2.5 years of product first. And I'll bet the Black Series 6" (if it works) will continue to have an OT focus while treating the ST like the PT, in terms of what makes it in (a lower ration per wave, that is.) That Jedi Master Skywalker figure will be effing awesome though. :)

Idpullthecurtain
02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Plus they're way out of scale. But I never opened them, hoping still that we might see something new.

Thats an interesting point. Rappertunie is clearly way too big and we can see that from the film. I think its hard to prove for other members, cos images of them next to other characters are not really available? But I do suspect that the figures are way too big, and thats a mistake Hasbo/Kenner have made before, cos the vintage ones were the same size and always "felt" too big.

TK_842
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
We're getting 19 figs in the collectors line this year and 50 are planned for 2014. I don't expect a new Star Wars movie on the big screen before 2016 so we may get another good batch of collector oriented figs in 2015.

Now, when the new movies start coming on the big screen, i really can't see what we'll be treated with. Whatever Hasbro put on the market, i'm crossing fingers we'll still have a collector subline saving a few spots for OT/PT and possibly EU figures.

my_kind_of_scum
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't know. I'm still thinking 2015 is likely (but not May as many wanted) because Disney wants to start seeing a turnaround on their investment as possible. Some of the rumors still support this - One of Abrams' production partners said he would not be able to work on episode seven because he would be working on Tomorrowland in March, meaning production on E7 could be coming up really quickly. As you said, though, several things are pointing towards a longer wait. The longer we go without solid news, the more likely 2016 is. One more year devoted to PT/OT in 3 3/4" would be good, but only if Hasbro makes a more concerted effort to get to more of the collector requested redos and obscure characters. If we keep just getting the same characters over and over, then bring on the ST toyline so we can at least see something NEW on the shelves.

Lord_kain
02-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Whats so great about these new movies?. Do they have a chance of being any better than the PT?? Ask yourself when have you seen a good sequel lately.. This is just another disney cashcow, the prefer quantity over quality. 2015 is a great year to quit ths hobby ( Ill admit i cant resist OT stuff if their still making it) but no ST for me, boycott disney and there questionable ethics.

my_kind_of_scum
02-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Well, one of the best sequels in recent years in my opinion was Toy Story 3. Since episode seven is being written by the same man, that is one thing that makes me think that it will be good. I don't want to get further off-topic, but I don't see any reason to preemptively hate a new Star Wars film, especially one that is looking more and more likely to reunite the old cast and has a writer who has an excellent eye for dialogue and emotional dramatic tension as well as humor (See Little Miss Sunshine...)

As to the band, I would be happy to see the pre-SE Snootles, but I would love to see the others (even the SE ones) get a redo as well. I agree that Rebo and droopy are pretty good still, but the organ could be redone and rappertunie is far out of scale. Joh Yowza is just an awful figure that would need a complete redo from scratch.

Basing the possibility of new sculpts on sales of the terrible walmart sets is just ridiculous as well - many of those figures were awful and couldn't compare to the other SW figures on pegs at the time in terms of detail or articulation. That, and walmart's horrid distribution of exclusives (which seems to have gotten better in recent years) certainly hurt sales. I never saw those in stores at all in my part of the country yet other areas were buried under them...

Lord_kain
02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
I think any chance of a pre SE Snootles is gone..

echo1441
02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Whats so great about these new movies?. Do they have a chance of being any better than the PT?? Ask yourself when have you seen a good sequel lately.. This is just another disney cashcow, the prefer quantity over quality. 2015 is a great year to quit ths hobby ( Ill admit i cant resist OT stuff if their still making it) but no ST for me, boycott disney and there questionable ethics.

How do you think Disney is handling the Marvel movies? Seem to be doing pretty well with quality and quantity there.

Sequels? How about The Hobbit or Skyfall just in the last couple months.

I will never tell anyone how or what to collect because everyone has different tastes. But why complain about something that has absolutely no news other then the initial announcement?

Masterfett
02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
personally I don't feel you can accurately assess if these sets didn't do well, based on the fact you released 20 year old figures at Today's Exclusive prices!
Not to mention the fact if anybody truly wanted these outdated figures, they could get them off ebay for far less!

I can understand these characters not having a broader appeal, since they aren't related to any action.
But IMO theses are still Iconic characters that take part in a major scene.

Sure Max Rebo or Sly wouldn't be able to be reused down the road, but the Bith Musicians could be reused plenty of times for other background figures.
Not to mention one sculpt can be used for each Musician.

If Max & Organ and Sly were packed together with electronics as an Exclusive, I think it would do just fine.
Possibly SDCC, Celebration, or even TRU.
The others could come in a larger set later on, or reuse the 2-pk theme for them.

Choi
02-17-2013, 02:42 PM

-Actually, I think the chances are better. Disney probably could care less about George and his "original vision all along and all copies of and references to the originals must be destroyed and forgotten" ways. If they see a profitable market for figures like this, they'll be all too happy to give an okay.

my_kind_of_scum
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
-Actually, I think the chances are better. Disney probably could care less about George and his "original vision all along and all copies of and references to the originals must be destroyed and forgotten" ways. If they see a profitable market for figures like this, they'll be all too happy to give an okay.

*couldn't* care less.

In actuality, Lucasfilm OK'd production of the non SE Snootles a couple of years ago - Hasbro confirmed that asnd one of the companies either produced or was going to produce a statue. So, Disney really doesn't have anything to do with it. Hasbro just doesn't think she would sell. That's the only hold-up for this figure.

Idpullthecurtain
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM
*couldn't* care less.

like :)

MARK2D2
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
The Special Editions forever ruined the entire band for me. That reworked scene was just beyond painful. A musical number was an interesting idea. but it was so horribly directed... it's all just so very cheesy...

Lord_kain
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
How do you think Disney is handling the Marvel movies? Seem to be doing pretty well with quality and quantity there.

Sequels? How about The Hobbit or Skyfall just in the last couple months.

I will never tell anyone how or what to collect because everyone has different tastes. But why complain about something that has absolutely no news other then the initial announcement?

Well the Hobbit is a prequel and Skyfall was pretty crap I thought, They have done ok with the Marvel movies but it is all an overload. Sorry I dont mean to tell you what to collect, I simply wont be sucked in to buying new figures from the ST.. The fact is I cant afford a bigger storage shed to put it all in. The childhood and Youthful memories I have of the OT and PT are what drives me to collect, I have no association with the ST its a new generation which I find hard to relate to. So I just wish to avoid the Marketing Monster that is disney and their mass media control.

Fate
02-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I have no association with the ST its a new generation which I find hard to relate to.

How could you associate with or relate to it? It doesn't even exist yet.

Lord_kain
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
As for the band I recently watched lapti nek, it was like uncovering a childhood memory that had been erased, not a bad song either, alot better than jedi rocks. The reason I think a pre SE Snootles wont happen - it has almost been wiped from our memories, kids these days wont know it unless its a collectors exculsive I cant see it happening..
If theyre going to do SE band members then Id prefer SE Snootles, lets play lapti nek and not jedi rocks though

Lord_kain
02-17-2013, 10:16 PM
How could you associate with or relate to it? It doesn't even exist yet.

The idea exists and thats all thats needed

richalot
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Actually I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I think we'd need to get some support behind it because Hasbro didn't seem to be aware of the demand for Sy in puppet form. I pointed out that Sideshow specified that if they did a Sy it would be in puppet form and how GG's Sy was the puppet version to plant the bug in their ear. At this point it's up to us to keep badgering Hasbro about a Sy Snootles in puppet form.

Rama
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
personally I don't feel you can accurately assess if these sets didn't do well, based on the fact you released 20 year old figures at Today's Exclusive prices!
Not to mention the fact if anybody truly wanted these outdated figures, they could get them off ebay for far less!

This is the same company that says they won't do a Big Sandcrawler because a mold from 1979, that was insanely overpriced, didn't sell well at Hot Topic. Sooooooo....

ENDER2600
02-22-2013, 05:35 PM
GREAT article at starwars.com that reveals the true shape of Max Rebo and the fact that he has no arms!

Star Wars Mysteries: Getting to the Bottom of Max Rebo | Star Wars Blog (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/02/20/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo/)

Now that I've seen this I really want a figure to reflect Max as he was originally conceived. I guess Sebulba was not the first to use legs like arms.

Droidworld
02-22-2013, 06:21 PM
GREAT article at starwars.com that reveals the true shape of Max Rebo and the fact that he has no arms!

Star Wars Mysteries: Getting to the Bottom of Max Rebo | Star Wars Blog (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/02/20/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo/)

Now that I've seen this I really want a figure to reflect Max as he was originally conceived. I guess Sebulba was not the first to use legs like arms.

Perfect opportunity, AND reason to re-visit the band. This, and a puppet version of Ms. Snootles would be great!

Michael_Knight
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
You see, all three are ****ed up in some way.

Max Rebo-Only has legs and the entire sound projector is missing on the organ
Droopy McCool- Too Big, needs to be smaller
Sy Snootles-Everyone hates the CGI one and we have never had a redo of the vintage
Missing microphones
Guitar that was tooled for the CGI version of the Yuzzum but never released
and I am sure the list goes on.

Scarrviper
02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
That article was amazing, I always thought those were his arms. Get to it hasbro, give us that 1983 version of the band!

ENDER2600
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I thought the CGI Sy was not good but then I watched the puppet again and, I'm sorry, she looks awful there as well.

StarWarsMonsters
02-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Actually I wouldn't rule it out just yet. I think we'd need to get some support behind it because Hasbro didn't seem to be aware of the demand for Sy in puppet form. I pointed out that Sideshow specified that if they did a Sy it would be in puppet form and how GG's Sy was the puppet version to plant the bug in their ear. At this point it's up to us to keep badgering Hasbro about a Sy Snootles in puppet form.
And this crucial update, please!

http://www.rebelscum.com/vintage/vintanakinfr-tn.jpg (http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtAnakin.asp) http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/potf2fbanakinhead-tn.jpg (http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2anakinfb.asp)

tanksmasher
02-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Very cool article.

GNT
02-23-2013, 03:36 AM
A correct version would be nice to see but I doubt they'd ever do that one.

ENDER2600
02-23-2013, 08:22 AM
A correct version would be nice to see but I doubt they'd ever do that one.

I sorrowfully agree with you.

Cane_Adiss
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
It's interesting too that the "ears" were intended to be penguin like flippers. So Rebo basically did have both legs and arms, his arms were those flipper "ears".

Cane_Adiss
02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
It's interesting too that the "ears" were intended to be penguin like flippers. So Rebo basically did have both legs and arms, his arms were those flipper "ears".

They may have been intended as flippers anyway, the article only states at the end that they resemble flippers.

John_Solo
02-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe Disney will do a one-shot movie called The Fabulous Rebo Boys about Max and his brother Rax, which will chronicle how he and Sy Snootles came to be in an act together with Droopy. Rax will, of course, die tragically at the hands of some Hutt, and the Rebo Band's presence in the palace will have been some kind of convoluted revenge scheme. But then Max developed a spice habit and needed the money. Plus Sy Snootles began an affair with Bib Fortuna. Then the rebels show up and turn the whole debauched party into bantha poodoo.

Gilbar
02-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I hope so to save me the trouble of tracking down the older versions.

rickyd
03-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Maybe Disney will do a one-shot movie called The Fabulous Rebo Boys about Max and his brother Rax, which will chronicle how he and Sy Snootles came to be in an act together with Droopy. Rax will, of course, die tragically at the hands of some Hutt.
I'm pretty sure he left to join up with Captain Eo.

Chamberlain
03-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Sy Snootles-Everyone hates the CGI one

Cue some moron that says "It's George Lucas's movies. He can do what he wants!". I think people just get defensive when they like something that is clearly crap to everyone else.

JACKOFTRADZE
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
I really hope that this set show up at SDCC. It would really help make up for the long drought this year.
An original Sy Snootles and updated band would be a huge highlight for my collection.

GNT
03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Cue some moron that says "It's George Lucas's movies. He can do what he wants!". I think people just get defensive when they like something that is clearly crap to everyone else.

Can't say that anymore, the movies were George Lucas's babies but not anymore, we can't blame him much going forward :p

Idpullthecurtain
03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
As much as I would love this to be true, I do find it a little odd that this thread is so prominent. It all comes from a Stan rumour, and that is great. But I just think for it to have its own thread is a little misleading to newer or less regular members. This thread has had a lot of traffic lately and hovered around the top of its forum, but really its nothing more than a wishlist item.

Lets face it, this is not a real rumour or a genuine suggestion. As much as I love Stans rumours, they are very "scattershot" and much of what he rumours never actually come out. They are very unreliable at best, for whatever reason.

Shouldnt the Rebo Band rumour be just a topic within a Rumour thread?

my_kind_of_scum
03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree that it is highly unlikely we will see this set any time soon. At the same time, if Hasbro sees how much it is being talked about, maybe they'll think a little harder about it. Could be a good reason for the thread to stay open maybe... Of course, Hasbro doesn't exactly seem like they're listening to active 3 3/4" collectors too much lately...

Idpullthecurtain
03-09-2013, 06:01 AM
I agree that it is highly unlikely we will see this set any time soon. At the same time, if Hasbro sees how much it is being talked about, maybe they'll think a little harder about it. Could be a good reason for the thread to stay open maybe... Of course, Hasbro doesn't exactly seem like they're listening to active 3 3/4" collectors too much lately...

True. I agree with your point.
And its not that I dont like discussing rumours.
I just felt that it was really misleading, cos its not really a rumour.

But I think you have a good point that the discussion brings attention to some much needed figures.

tanksmasher
03-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah we probably won't see the band, unless it comes out in the 6" line? Wouldn't that be a kicker?

Snootlespoodoo
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Considering its been over a decade since the last set (which looks horrible compared to todays figure standards and like has that cheap knock off look when in a recent Jabba diorama) we seriously need a three pack based on the original. All three are outdated, period. last se I didn't buy even when rereleased because they are OLD. poor sales was the due to poor idea of not resculpting and not giving the fans (collector's) the original band we all want. And Sim Aloo and Sy Snootles are the only two Vintage not resculpted in the current line. If they can do obscure comic pack sculpts there is no reason a band can't be made. Please Hasbro read this. My hopes are they are bluffing to surprise us like when they said there was no new Jabba or dais in the future and then there was. its the 30th Anniversary of ROTJ, nad nothing to celebrate about :(

Spassvogel
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Did you guys see that Star Wars .com article about how Hasbro messed up, and he was supposed to be squatting on top of the organ (er, phrasing) instead of standing behind it. Those things we think of as his ears are really his flipper hands, and he plays the instrument with his feet.

Here is the link: Star Wars Mysteries: Getting to the Bottom of Max Rebo | Star Wars Blog (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/02/20/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo/)

StarWarsMonsters
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
It's fascinating backstory, but I reject out of hand the notion that Rebo should be corrected to fit with the intended design. Clearly it was intended, but due to how the puppet was operated I will maintain the original intentions, not appearing on film, have been superseded. (Same as Walrusman's hands; although in that case both hand types were shown on screen) Hidalgo shows how the intended design...

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/max007.jpg

...was nowhere to be seen in the puppeteer's portrayal. The puppeteering portrayed arms:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/max008.jpg

...not the intended legs.

And so Kenner, Hasbro and EU have all followed suit; as they should have. It's actually beyond me how lifelong SW fans (eg those who have said future figs should be "corrected" to reflect the original design) could be so quick to completely toss out something SW that they've know all their lives just because a creature design was not executed as originally planned. :confused: The final, filmed result is clearly arms!

Oddball_Fett
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Ah, but what about legs?

:hmm:

tanksmasher
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I guess they couldn't find an actor with double jointed elbows!

bigbarada
03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
It's fascinating backstory, but I reject out of hand the notion that Rebo should be corrected to fit with the intended design. Clearly it was intended, but due to how the puppet was operated I will maintain the original intentions, not appearing on film, have been superseded. (Same as Walrusman's hands; although in that case both hand types were shown on screen) Hidalgo shows how the intended design...

...was nowhere to be seen in the puppeteer's portrayal. The puppeteering portrayed arms:

And so Kenner, Hasbro and EU have all followed suit; as they should have. It's actually beyond me how lifelong SW fans (eg those who have said future figs should be "corrected" to reflect the original design) could be so quick to completely toss out something SW that they've know all their lives just because a creature design was not executed as originally planned. :confused: The final, filmed result is clearly arms!

I actually agree with this. They might have been conceived of as legs, but they clearly move like arms onscreen. My guess is that the "legs" just didn't look right when they actually filmed Max Rebo moving around in front of the camera, so they reworked them into arms.

If they were always intended to be legs, then why did Lucasfilm approve the original Max Rebo action figure... twice? Once in 1984 and again when it was retooled in 1997?

SnTrooper
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Add me to the "while it may have supposed to have been legs they ended up as arms so any new figures should keep the anatomy that he has had since '83" list. Having said that I think if they do ever make a new Max he should come apart at the waist so people that want an as conceived Max can have him too.

Droidworld
03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
If sculpted from scratch, I don't see why they can't match the original puppet. If articulated correctly, and when seated in his organ, they will appear like arms anyway. It will only be a "surprise" when removed.

As old school as I am, finding new reference shots is cool, and as long as Max looks the same IN the organ, what he looks like out of the organ is a bonus.

I'm guessing most people objecting to this new idea/information, are sentimental about past figures, not the actual puppet, which we now can see.

bigbarada
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm guessing most people objecting to this new idea/information, are sentimental about past figures, not the actual puppet, which we now can see.

I can understand why you might think that, but it's not necessarily true. I just know that things change from concept to screen in movies. Sometimes at the very last minute with only seconds to go until the cameras start rolling. So, they might have intended for Max Rebo to be using his legs to play the musical instrument, but that's not what we saw onscreen.

Chamberlain
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
This is the kind of debate that convention exclusives should be made for. Put out the whole band to the mas market, as it should be. Then sculpt this kind of Max to fit in the mass market ball jet organ and make it a con-exclusive.

ohmAniPadmeOhm
04-12-2013, 06:46 PM
If done properly (all new figures/instruments in vintage style packaging) this will be a must have. As an old fart I'm pretty nostalgic for the old school packaging but accuracy of sculpt and articulation are the most things I look for in a figure. This should be a very easy decision to make on Hasbro's part and considering this is the 30th anniversary of ROTJ it should come out this year.

Idpullthecurtain
04-13-2013, 12:44 PM
This should be a very easy decision to make on Hasbro's part and considering this is the 30th anniversary of ROTJ it should come out this year.

An easy decision for an OT fan to buy, yes.
Easy decision for Hasbro to make, not at all!

coachvader
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Been thinking about picking up the old set for a Jabba's Palace diorama i was going to make. This would be awesome to get new figures.

CHEWIE
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
I think a new Sy Snootles would be about all I'd really want at this point. If they did make all of the original band again, I'd still probably get them though - if they were new sculpts. These would be a niche item though - sounds like a good exclusive more than a widespread release.

Snootlespoodoo
05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
This year would be the best chance we have at getting this. IT's the 30th Anniversary of ROTJ, no sign of AOTC 3D so whay do we have no love for ROTJ?!?! Iconic band, all Vintage collectors know the original version, tons of merchandise from the 80's was made for this trio yet Hasbro insists the band as is can hold its weight in comparison to modern figs... PLEASE! they are out of date and little to no articulation. It will sell like crazy! Hoefully Disney will see the creative designe and appeal of such unique Aliens that are so well associated with Jabba's Palace.

Idpullthecurtain
05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
This year would be the best chance we have at getting this. IT's the 30th Anniversary of ROTJ, no sign of AOTC 3D so whay do we have no love for ROTJ?!?! Iconic band, all Vintage collectors know the original version, tons of merchandise from the 80's was made for this trio yet Hasbro insists the band as is can hold its weight in comparison to modern figs... PLEASE! they are out of date and little to no articulation. It will sell like crazy! Hoefully Disney will see the creative designe and appeal of such unique Aliens that are so well associated with Jabba's Palace.

I would love to say you are right, but I cant see it.
Chances are slim and even then I think the only chance of getting this is an exclusive.

GNT
05-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Would be nice to see made (Max Rebo is my fav Jabba's Palace alien) but I highly doubt Hasbro will end up making the set, they seem busy doing other things right now like the 6" figures and the new 5poa figures. I hope I'm wrong and Hasbro release this.

AussieFortuna
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Id love to see these guys made again, i might even break my modern drought and buy them.

lordtyrannus
05-04-2013, 02:04 PM
For completion's sake, I'd like to see the remaining ranked phase I clones and the 212th Urapau clone using the VC45 mold. The commanders would be nice too, but if they do one, it'll open up a can of worms and I'll be obsessed with getting the rest :-)

lordtyrannus
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
For completion's sake, I'd like to see the remaining ranked phase I clones and the 212th Urapau clone using the VC45 mold. The commanders would be nice too, but if they do one, it'll open up a can of worms and I'll be obsessed with getting the rest :-)

Sorry, don't know how I posted this one here. I thought it was the "Top 10 Most Wanted" thread.

hacksawtheclown
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
how long ago did rumors of this surface? is it safe to assume this was just rumor?

Idpullthecurtain
05-22-2013, 11:51 AM
how long ago did rumors of this surface? is it safe to assume this was just rumor?

A while back. It wasnt a viable rumour in the first place. It was speculation.

hacksawtheclown
05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
that's too bad,wouldve been sweet. now that Hasbro has given up on collectors I cant see max rebo ever being done.

Idpullthecurtain
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
that's too bad,wouldve been sweet. now that Hasbro has given up on collectors I cant see max rebo ever being done.

I wish they would do one too. Currently it seems really unlikely.
But in 2015 things may seem very different.

GNT
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM

In the long term picture I picture Hasbro spending more time on the basic 5POA instead, maybe we might see a few band members pop up in that line.

darthsatan
05-23-2013, 02:23 AM
I thought that these were stated as being off limits when the Walmart re-issues tanked? They were 5 POA or near enough already anyway.

Idpullthecurtain
05-23-2013, 03:19 AM
I thought that these were stated as being off limits when the Walmart re-issues tanked? They were 5 POA or near enough already anyway.

I think they definitely hurt, at least, the chances of new versions. And what a stupid idea it was to re-release them in the first place. Frustrating.

DarkArtist
05-24-2013, 02:40 PM
the only way i would buy anther Rebo Band would be if they gave us 1983 Sy Snootles and not the SE version of her. what would make it a really sweet sell would be if it was electronic and came with both the Lapti Nek song from 1983 and the SE Jedi Rocks song from the SE !

my_kind_of_scum
05-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I wish they would do one too. Currently it seems really unlikely.
But in 2015 things may seem very different.

Honestly, I doubt we will see much OT/PT product in 2015. I'd like to be wrong, but I have a feeling Hasbro will heavily push the first sequel.

Idpullthecurtain
05-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Honestly, I doubt we will see much OT/PT product in 2015. I'd like to be wrong, but I have a feeling Hasbro will heavily push the first sequel.

I agree, I didnt mean they might come out in 2015. I meant that by that point there may be hope for something like that in the coming years.

my_kind_of_scum
05-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Understood. Whether I like the sequels or not, I really hope that it brings in a ton of hype and interest in Star Wars again. With high sales come high production numbers which means they can do a well sculpted articulated line for 10 bucks much more easily.

If it comes down to it, I would buy new characters with 5 POA but I would really rather a bit more than that. I don't need SA on every figure by any means, but those 5 POA figures just don't excite me in any way. And with the lack of custom potential, most of my money would be going towards figures that I could take apart and reassemble in interesting ways instead of buying things at retail. (I made customs with the 5 POA figures when that was my only option. Most of them have been thrown away at this point.)

DulokShaman
05-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I'd rather have the Max Rebo band come out with proper articulation under the Vintage Collection banner, but if the skimped-out versions with 5 POA is the only way Hasbro can think of releasing them, then so be it. It would still be a very much welcomed addition to any SW line in my opinion.

Doop
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
This should be a reality, I don't care what versions they are. I just want a new Max Rebo.

my_kind_of_scum
10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Maybe they'll be doing their "galactic reunion" tour in Episode seven and we could see the past-their-prime-desperate-to-hold-onto-their-youth elderly Max Rebo band playing somewhere. :p

Masterfett
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Our only hope now I think, would be if they show up in the ST somewhere.

Doop
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Our only hope now I think, would be if they show up in the ST somewhere.
Just becuase were getting new movies doesn't mean figures from the others won't be made. We'll probably get them next year.

my_kind_of_scum
10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Just becuase were getting new movies doesn't mean figures from the others won't be made. We'll probably get them next year.

But figures that Hasbro has already said are low on the list will only move lower with a new SW film every year.

Doop
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
But figures that Hasbro has already said are low on the list will only move lower with a new SW film every year.
I'm hoping out for next year.

Kithaba
10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
These 3 original band members are a still much needed upgrade! When are they coming out Hasbro?!

I sold my other ones a while ago in anticipation of better sculpts. If they don't make them, I'll end up buying the originals and display them in my diorama instead. I really must have an original Sy Snootles and still think the Kenner figures are better!

GNT
10-19-2013, 02:54 AM
These 3 original band members are a still much needed upgrade! When are they coming out Hasbro?

Hasbro's response "Never" :p

It might be years away if they don't act fast, with the ST coming all focus will be on that instead of the OT.

Michael_Knight
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
These 3 original band members are a still much needed upgrade! When are they coming out Hasbro?!

I sold my other ones a while ago in anticipation of better sculpts. If they don't make them, I'll end up buying the originals and display them in my diorama instead. I really must have an original Sy Snootles and still think the Kenner figures are better!

So correct. We need an OT non SE Sy and the Kenner one does look better. I think it was Daigo Bah in the custom forums who did one a while back but he updated the original Kenner one and it looked amazing. Max Rebo, as we know now is anatomically incorrect and they have yet to make an accurate organ since both versions, they may be the same, are missing the whole megaphone attachment thingy. Lastly Droopy McCool is supposed to be tiny.

Masterfett
10-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Good luck with that!......
:whistling:

my_kind_of_scum
10-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Droopy's supposed to be tiny? I never realized.

Kithaba
10-21-2013, 03:44 AM
So correct. We need an OT non SE Sy and the Kenner one does look better. I think it was Daigo Bah in the custom forums who did one a while back but he updated the original Kenner one and it looked amazing. Max Rebo, as we know now is anatomically incorrect and they have yet to make an accurate organ since both versions, they may be the same, are missing the whole megaphone attachment thingy. Lastly Droopy McCool is supposed to be tiny.

I have to be honest, that whilst an accurate organ would be great, I'd prefer a new sculpt of Max as we all know and love him with two arms and two legs.
I also didn't know that Droopy was tiny?

GNT
10-21-2013, 08:05 AM
I'd prefer a new sculpt of Max as we all know and love him with two arms and two legs.

It's all about accuracy, no legs for Max Rebo.

As for Droopy he was played by Deep Roy, for those that don't know his work he was the Oompa-Loompas in Tim Burtons Charlie and the chocolate factory a few years back and that weird alien with Scotty in the recent Star Trek films...the guy is tiny!

my_kind_of_scum
10-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I think I'd have to go for an accurate Rebo as well. The inaccurate version we have is pretty good so it would be kind of cool to go for the more accurate puppet version.

Winsto
10-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I always assumed Droopy was on the chunky side of average. This new size revelation is a shocker. Does anyone have any stills or pics for scale reference ?

Michael_Knight
10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
This is from elsewhere in the forums but here is a crude image on set. I guess he is super tiny but qualifies as a dwarf so the figure could stand to be scaled down.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2973/qdbl.png

Michael_Knight
10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
That was supposed to say is *not* super tiny.

StarWarsMonsters
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I stand behind my previous remarks about Max. This talk of revising the figure to match the intended design is disheartening to me. :'(

SnTrooper
10-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Probably the best thing they could do with Max would be have him come apart at the waist so both camps would get what they want.

Cane_Adiss
10-22-2013, 06:56 AM
I think the Ortolan physiology has now been pretty well established as having legs and arms, not just legs and "flippers" like the original design suggested. With that in mind I find it hard to believe that Lucasfilm would "reset" the species to accommodate this revelation (which isn't a new revelation by the way, I've been aware of it for years and thought others were too) that the puppet was performed against it's intended design just to produce an "accurate" toy that may or may not sell well at retail.

If they updated Max, and used the original intended design where he was playing the organ with his feet, giving him no legs and a cushion for his hind parts to sit on I would be fine with it as a collector and a fan of the obscure, but he wouldn't make a great toy. More of an obscure curiosity really. When Kenner designed the figure with legs they (whether they knew it or not) opened the door to have Max function as a toy that can be played with separately from the organ if kids chose to have him do more than sit in a diorama. So with that said, this is the design that I'd prefer to see continue in toy form. Plus, I think the intended design was thrown out the window when Lucasfilm approved the toy's anatomy twice and approved that anatomy for multiple expanded universe appearances of the species.

Cane_Adiss
10-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Also, Droopy isn't by any means "average" height. I think the picture that Michael Knight provided demonstrates that he's shorter than average, but not ewok size. plus the figure that we have is proportionally wrong. He's too large and is colored badly. He needs to be more doughy and less wrinkly and his color is closer to human flesh than the overly dark wash on the figure suggests. All things considered, the vintage figure is more accurate.

Sy Snootles in her original puppet form technically still appears in the film (although it's easy to miss) unless the Blu-ray's have completely erased her I'm not sure. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we will see her done eventually, especially since other licenses have gotten approval to use the original tusked and feather wearing design in their products. Hasbro could single card her and I think due to her appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon as well as collector interest she would do fine. Heck she may make an appearance in the new Rebels cartoon who knows...

DarthJefe
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
According to 2010's character encyclopedia, Snootles and Droopy are 1.6m, and Max is 1.5m. So if new figures are made, I expect them to be around the heigh of last year's Nien Nunb in order to be accurate.

Winsto
10-24-2013, 03:41 AM
I stand behind my previous remarks about Max. This talk of revising the figure to match the intended design is disheartening to me. :'(

WOW, simply wow. You guys schooled me good. I had no idea about Droopy's height or Max Rebo's lacking a bottom half. So Max Rebo has legs for arms? Almost like Subulba with the whole leg for hands thing(I know Dugs have tiny T-Rex hands that are not dominant). This is what the forums should be about, learning stuff. Thanks to everyone who contributed. For the record, I'm in the camp that thinks the action figures should represent the movies not the production.

Lt__Brenn_Tantor
10-24-2013, 10:35 AM
WOW, simply wow. You guys schooled me good. I had no idea about Droopy's height or Max Rebo's lacking a bottom half. So Max Rebo has legs for arms? Almost like Subulba with the whole leg for hands thing(I know Dugs have tiny T-Rex hands that are not dominant). This is what the forums should be about, learning stuff. Thanks to everyone who contributed. For the record, I'm in the camp that thinks the action figures should represent the movies not the production.

Winsto
10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
star wars mysteries: Getting to the bottom of max rebo | star wars blog (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/02/20/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo/)

thank you !!!

lister
10-24-2013, 12:23 PM
This is from elsewhere in the forums but here is a crude image on set. I guess he is super tiny but qualifies as a dwarf so the figure could stand to be scaled down.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2973/qdbl.png

That's a cool find. The only issue I have with using behind-the-scenes pictures as character references is that it ultimately only proves what size the actor is, not necessarily the character. If you saw a picture of John Rhys-Davies in his Gimli costume standing around the Lord of the Rings set between takes, he would be about the same height as Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom. But the character of Gimli is obviously meant to be much shorter. I have no problem believing Droopy is supposed to be this short, but a picture of the character standing next to another character would be more accurate.

Lt__Brenn_Tantor
10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
That's a cool find. The only issue I have with using behind-the-scenes pictures as character references is that it ultimately only proves what size the actor is, not necessarily the character. If you saw a picture of John Rhys-Davies in his Gimli costume standing around the Lord of the Rings set between takes, he would be about the same height as Viggo Mortensen and Orlando Bloom. But the character of Gimli is obviously meant to be much shorter. I have no problem believing Droopy is supposed to be this short, but a picture of the character standing next to another character would be more accurate.

http://tomvoldemortriddle.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/droopy.jpg

lister
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
http://tomvoldemortriddle.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/droopy.jpg

Sorry, can't see the picture.

lister
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Nevermind, I saw it.

SnTrooper
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Direct from the movie.
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/SnTrooper/Rebelscum/DroopyMax.jpg

ThallJoben
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, I think if a new Max Rebo figure is made, it should be similar to the old 1984 Kenner version & the POTF2 1998 version, i.e. it should have legs. I agree that any figures made of characters/aliens should reflect how they were implied to look in the films, not necessarily how the puppets/costumes appeared.

Heck, if Hasbro were to get so accurate that the toys only looked like the models, that Hem Dazon alien figure from a while back (the very first alien you saw in the Cantina, when the head popped up on screen) would just be a small figure of a head on a pole/stick...

Same with 2-1B; I think the Kenner/Hasbro toy created the legs for this figure, since the model in ESB didn't have any.

Also, IIRC Hasbro/Kenner created the legs/feet for Hammerhead as well.

Michael_Knight
10-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Like that pick. It's probably the best shot you get of Loje Nella.

Roberto
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
They could make the screen acurate one and with an "downer body" that can be attached to it. SO we can have both versions.