PDA

View Full Version : Are your collecting Habits changing?

Pages : [1] 2

GNT
07-19-2012, 03:00 AM
I've seen a few posts lately about people cutting back buying toys, dropping out because of the new packaging, figure selection or that the line is becoming extremely hard to find.

So what is everyones collecting habits for the next year and a bit once the vintage line ends? Who's collecting? Dropping out? Or simply cutting back?

BXR_1138
07-19-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm a loose collector, so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing: just buy stuff that interests me.

TK_842
07-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Already cut down on 4" collecting lately but TVC going away may allow me to buy even less. With only about 30 figs announced and onlya handfull of exclusives, i may be tempted to chase a few items i missed in the last couple of years though.

Idpullthecurtain
07-19-2012, 04:13 AM
It looks like my habits will change in 2013 (not really through choice), in that I wont be buying many figures by the looks of things. But only because they dont seem to be making many new ones. I am hoping that will change later in the year though.

Deathbymonkeys
07-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Well this year I bought 2 cases to get 4 figures. And a separate clone wars figure. And I bought another 4 vintage for my my wall. And I'll get the maul battle pack for maul and split the rest with my friend. Then I will buy the last case for Ashoka and obi wan.

So I got 12 figures this year.

Next year I plan on Mara, mace, Rex x2 and padme and anakin. So already I'm at 6 figures in 2 waves. Looks like I'm buying more.

Darkmatt
07-19-2012, 05:03 AM
During the SAGA to TSC collections, I was buying every figure (except for the OTC line that was full of repacks). But I took a hiatus and only came back to collecting last december. That allowed me to have a global vision of the lines I missed (TAC, TLC, TVC) and I decided to stop the "buy 'em all" politics and switch to a "is it new or does it bring something interesting?" politics.

So basically, I now buy only the characters that were never done, or the main characters when they bring a new interesting update (no new Hoth Luke, no new Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon or Anakin).

DarthPaxis
07-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm not going anywhere, I already have a limited collecting scope... in fact I would probably be buying more often if I could actually FIND what I was looking for... instead I've been stuck at getting maybe two figures ever 2-4 months.

JediMerc
07-19-2012, 06:43 AM
I've resorted to buying online A LOT more than previously, so that has changed. I like the BAD concept, but I don't feel like I need to get all the pieces, so I'll still be buying only what looks good. (Pretty much like TVC.)

Trooper31
07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
It looks like my habits will change in 2013 (not really through choice), in that I wont be buying many figures by the looks of things. But only because they dont seem to be making many new ones. I am hoping that will change later in the year though.

This is kind of where I'm at right now as well. I understand that Hasbro sees the main characters as the safe choices and when a film comes out they need those main characters, but I already have a number of versions of those main characters that outside of Luke, Biggs, Pame, and the troopers, I don't see a lot there for me.

As of now, there aren't any figures from my wishlist coming out in 2013, so I guess that means I'm looking at less in 2013.

Also, these USA-only exclusives have forced me to cut back as well, because I can't get those (Search for Luke BP, upcoming Speederbike pack, upcoming Yavin Pilots Pack, one of last years Endor pilots pack).

Hasbro had no problem sending those Genosis TCW two-packs or the Vader/Anakin and Sidous/Maul 2-packs here, yet they're sitting on the shelves collecting dust. Anybody could have told them that was a bad idea, but they'd rather have those packs sitting on the shelves rotting away, then something actually new. Then because those packs don't sell, they assume that people aren't interested in something different.

Give someone here a choice between the Seach for Luke Pack and those 2-packs above, and everybody would take the Luke Pack.

darthsatan
07-19-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm still here doing the same as I have since 1995 with no intention to change.

I collect loose and buy onscreen film characters plus the odd justifiable EU (astromechs mainly), plus vehicles.

I'm happy to pay for what I want. I just got an MTT at full UK retail which was no laughing matter!

I dislike resculpts and won't buy another figure of the same unless it is much better in my eyes. Sculpt matters to me, not ankles or SG.

It is because of the latter point that I will not be buying any of the first 2 waves carded. This isn't because I'm cutting back - I will doubtless overpay for the BADs loose! It's because of the choices made by Hasbro as to what the waves consist of.

Trooper31
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
It is because of the latter point that I will not be buying any of the first 2 waves carded. This isn't because I'm cutting back - I will doubtless overpay for the BADs loose! It's because of the choices made by Hasbro as to what the waves consist of.

I think this will have the greatest impact on the line next spring.

However, there could be a method to Hasbro's madness. Assuming we see about 3 waves through July (about 25-26 figures), it might get some of us to buy a figure that we really didn't want, because there isn't much out there and we get a BAD part to possibly finish off a droid we don't care about now, but have to have then.

I wouldn't include you in this because your habits have been the same for too long, but I'm sure a number of us will end up picking up at least a couple more figures from those two waves that we aren't planning on buying now.

pohatu771
07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I bought most of The Vintage Collection, and I'll buy most of Legacy Collection. Actually, if a figure I don't particularlarly want comes with a droid part I do, I'll probably buy that.

Slizer
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I think I will be getting most of the same as I always have. Being a loose collector packaging doesnt matter to me. I get the stuff that interestes me, and right now that looks like all of wave 1 and 2.

bigbarada
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
To be honest, after 2 years, the "specialness" of the Vintage cards was starting to wear off and it was no longer an incentive for me to buy figures I didn't really want. So I was beginning to settle back into my old habits of just picking and choosing what I wanted from each wave and not worrying too much about the card designs, collection numbers, etc.

One thing I learned from collecting the BAD line, from 2008-2009, is that I only care about a small handful of droids out of the films and I only want to buy those droids individually carded, so I'm not going to waste my money buying figures I don't want to complete a droid I don't care about. For example, I'm STILL annoyed that I got stuck buying a stupid Concept Ki-Adi-Mundi just to complete some silly astromech droid and I can't even remember which astromech droid that was. There will be no more of that nonsense this time around.

So, like I said earlier, I'm probably going to settle into my old habits of just picking and choosing from each wave. The cards are just so much packing material at this point.

Spookymufu
07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm a loose collector, so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing: just buy stuff that interests me.

this is what I will be doing now that TVC is going away

Krayt
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM

That is how I have always viewed the hobby myself. I like to buy the figures I like and put them out on display.
No reason now to change what I have been doing for years now

Wishing_Well
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
In TVC I would keep the cardbacks and put them on my wall, cut out the bubble and display the figure in my shelf, but some figures I couldn't get carded at first because they were HTF or to expensive, I still have yet to get a Arc Trooper Commander card, but now that the cards are not as appealing as to me(BAD '13 cards) I can now happily buy them loose and save on cash.

oskar
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
im new to the collecting so ill be buying quite often

BIGJIM
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
I've become extremely choosy with what I buy anymore.
Same old characters with slight differences and horrible distribution have me saving a lot of money.

Father_Ben
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
The end of Vintage won't change my habits as I've become very specific about what I buy now.

After a total Clone and Imperial burn out, My collecting now solely focuses on Jabba and co. Ewoks, and the core group from both trilogies (as long as the sculpts are new or vastly improved retooling). I'll also grab some cantina patrons and Jedi if they're really eye grabbing (hint Hasbro I WANT MY DAMN LAK SIVRAK!) .

Of course that means the first 2 waves of legacy I'll be grabbing most, time will tell how long that continues.

Darth_Martus
07-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm changing from a carded to loose collector and will probably buy more as a result.

Michael_Knight
07-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Definitely! With so much stuff from 78-Now I had to determine what stays in my collection due to space considerations. I want the best version of each character so first to go was Vintage-POTF2. Beyond that I only kept what hasn't been redone yet from the other lines but it becomes fewer the further you go back, very few POTJ, much more Legacy. Then I ditched all the ship repaints. I only kept one of the most updated version of each ship. After that I ditched Cone Wars because I prefer realistic and then EU went because it started to get in the way of the movies which is what I prefer to show. Since the end of 2009 nine I purged about 75% of my collection and it still looks like I have a lot.

Going forward I am going to be even more picky about what I get. Only movie stuff, maybe an EU figure here and there for custom purposes.

lister
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
My collecting philosophy is pretty much to simply buy what I like and leave the rest. I'll continue to do that, so in that sense there'll be no change. But given what's coming out in the next year or so, I have a feeling that there will be less figures that fall into the category of "what I like."

Notorious_Boba
07-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm still the loose guy w/parameters within and stop buying clones. Except for Special Forces like ARC and RC, Cover Ops, Scuba.
-----------------------------------
"He's no good to me dead."B)

Billy_Ray
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
My collecting philosophy is pretty much to simply buy what I like and leave the rest. I'll continue to do that, so in that sense there'll be no change. But given what's coming out in the next year or so, I have a feeling that there will be less figures that fall into the category of "what I like."

Pretty much this. I am a loose collector, so packaging has no influence on my collecting habits. Figure choice and execution do though.

lister
07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Pretty much this. I am a loose collector, so packaging has no influence on my collecting habits. Figure choice and execution do though.

Yeah, as an opener, packaging will never make or break a purchase for me. Although, I have to say that I was thoroughly enjoying the vintage style package. Getting guys like Tarkin and Evazan on vintage cards was quite satisfying. But I would have bought those figures if they came in a baggie in a plain white box.

HothHan
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I seem to be purchasing less of whole waves and just mutiples of the few figures that I like.

darth_sidious
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
After seeing the first wave of 2013, I think I'll be cutting back more. I'm tired of repacks and repaints to the point where I get bored with the hobby. Luckily 2012 has given us some great vintage figures (though a lot of rehashed characters), and some amazing exclusives to come - but 2013 doesnt look the same. I love the BAD concept, but I'm not buying repacked OT troopers just to make BAD figures. Same goes for lackluster AOTC clones and droids. Hasbro needs to try a bit harder...

tanksmasher
07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
For starters I won't be buying doubles since Vintage cards are all I collect. It will just be loose figures until vintage returns. And I won't buy a shoddy remake/repacks like the TIE pilot, so it will be an inexpensive year unless some of Stans rumors about skiff guards come true.

EnigmaticOne
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Amen bro!

I'll just keep picking what I like.
Mostly EU, some obscure characters, Sith, bounty hunters, and lastly clones.

rook
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
With Episode 1 figures clogging every peg in a 75 mile radius, it looks like I will be cutting back due to the number of times that I left a store disappointed. The sad thing is this year is almost over...

GrandAdmiralFel
07-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, I've eased off of army-builder purchases because of price reasons.

I buy a lot from Amazon because they have figures... unlike most of the surrounding store.

Being selective. That might change with BAD.

urbnns69
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Lately, collecting hasn't been very fun for the obvious reasons. Lack of new product to the shelf, overshipment of some waves, etc.

If my habits are changing, it is only because Hasbro has forced them to.

Hopefully it will get better sometime, but I don't see that happening as long as lame movie heroes figs are cluttering up the pegs leaving less space for vintage, legacy, etc.

Darth_Brett
07-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Still buying mostly online. Still buying OT-only figures. Still opening up all of my figures. Nope, my habits are not changing.

skywalker1022
07-19-2012, 11:37 PM
I collected loose figures up until the Vintage Collection began. I've had really good distribution luck in my area for the entire duration of the vintage collection, and was able to get multiples of pretty much all the vintage collection I wanted. i only collected the vintage MOC. I will most likely start back with loose collecting in 2013 until vintage comes back. The vintage were special to me because they brought back memories of all the original figures I bought growing up in the 80's (I even had the original early bird set). I've only ever bought the figures I like ever since star wars came back in 95 mostly concetrating on OT, but I may take this vintage hiatus to try and complete the entire vintage collection. I'll probably buy any new or re-tooled OT aliens that may rear their ugly heads in 2013. Come on Ree Yees!

ihnken33
07-20-2012, 02:53 AM
My collecting habits are in deed changing, I am not going to collect many hasbro figures anymore. I'll end up buying my BADs online so I don't have to blow alot of money to get figures I don't want just to get the BAD.

So until the Vintage line comes back, I'm pretty much out of the game.

Trooper31
07-20-2012, 06:08 AM
To be honest, after 2 years, the "specialness" of the Vintage cards was starting to wear off and it was no longer an incentive for me to buy figures I didn't really want..

I think this is another reason why Hasbro changed the cards for 2013. The line will become stale, especially when we know they want TVC for the 3d versions of the OT. 2010-2017 would have been way too long.

matto
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I was a loose collector for the most part until TVC. I picked up and kept carded just a few figures from previous lines, but tried to purchase loose & carded versions of most TVC. With it ending or on break, I'll only be getting the loose figures I am interested in. This will bring me back to my previous collecting habit and will be spending less. I was already purchasing very little PT & EU stuff so I should save little money, or actually have more money to continue hunting more original Kenner stuff. I'm not a huge droid fan so this new collection is not automatically a big draw for me to spend. Poor droid selections so far and very few must buys in first 2 wave announcements. hope it improves though. Lot of new figures and needed updates I'm ready to collect!

Masterjedi4612
07-20-2012, 11:36 AM
My habits will probably be changing a little bit with the start of this new line. It looks like I will be picking up most of the figures in the first two waves, but depending on who they release in the rest of the year, I will probably not be completing the whole line like I am striving to do with the TVC figures. I have also started looking at selling off those figures that I have that are previous versions of new ones that are either coming or I have already picked up, as my original plan when I started collecting was to own one of every figure, vehicle, deluxe set, etc. ever made. My overall collecting goal has shifted from that to simply having the best versions of the characters that own, so it will hopefully help to downsize my collection significantly.

Depending on the case ratios from next, I may simply stop scouring retail brick and mortar stores for new figures and go to completely online, as this year has really left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to toy runs. I've had to pick up the last few waves off of Amazon, and I'm 99% sold on buying cases of the last two/three waves for the end of this year, again depending on the ratios. As much as I love and advocate retail hunting for that feeling of thrill that it brings, I haven't felt that feeling in so long, and it has started to cost too much in gas, time, and effort to find that feeling anymore.

Ty
07-20-2012, 06:22 PM
As time has gone on I've bought less and less. At my most crazy point, I was literally buying 350++ SW figs a year, now I'm lucky if I get 15. So far 2013 looks like it'll be even less unless there's some incredible reveals at CVI. The figures have never been better.. but they're making the wrong ones.

I'm still in this thing for the long haul. This stuff is hard to kick!

Ty
07-20-2012, 06:25 PM
P.S. I have a right to complain, I've been on hundreds of hunting expeditions all over Canada and the US and am constantly coming home empty-handed and disappointed. I don't want to be a grouch, I wanna be a happy dude with tons of toys.

ENDER2600
07-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Like many of you I will be buying less because there are no vintage cards to display. This is good for my wallet but sad. However, as someone here said, if they are going to bring back vintage for the OT 3D it does make sense. 2010-2017 is a long run (I would not mind) and I can see how that might get tedious for some. Although I still think the current packagings are dull, dull, dull.

DT_SnaggleYak
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
A month or so back I changed my habits due to the unavailability of product and the increased online prices. I used to collect one loose of every basic carded OT character, and had a carded TVC set of vintage upgrades. I sold off the MOC set and most of my other figures. Now I only collect the best versions of original vintage figure upgrades.

Nothing in the BAD waves 1 and 2 interests me. I already have the TVSC Biker Scout and Jake Farrel the A-Wing Pilot, so I don't need upgrades of those guys. I don't need any of the BADS because I have all of the droid figs I need already. If they made a BAD EV9d9 or 8d8, then I'd be getting those.

The list of figures I want to call my collection complete is short; about 7 or 8 figures. So I will be buying next to nothing this year, and every year going forward.

I'd rather spend my time and money on collecting some other segment of Star Wars. What that will be I haven't decided yet. But it won't be the 4" line unless Hasbro gets their collective heads out of their collective colons sometime soon.

E_CHU_TA
07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
since the vintage card line started they have only made maybe 10 figures i wanted and probably only 2 of those i have actually found in a store. they have made some great cantina and jabba guys and a few ewoks, but otherwise i just keep seeing prequal figures i have no interest in.
i want to do that whole complain about availability of the figures because i cant find them, but honestly alot of the stores im going in the pegs are stuffed with figures but they are prequal figures and a ton of that quinlan vos guy so many people were going crazy over a few years back.

darthsatan
07-21-2012, 02:51 AM
[QUOTE=Ty;18893216The figures have never been better.. but they're making the wrong ones.
[/QUOTE]

Well put sir.

Nerdherfer
07-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Personally I'm pretty happy to see the new waves have not too much that interests me. It means I can give this collecting obsession a rest for a while. I already confined myself to a specific era to keep things on a leash, except that particular era, happens to be the early imperial era. So even though I miss out on quite a few jedi characters and most of the movie heroes, I get Vader, Jabba, his henchmen and anybody from Tatooine doing absolutely anything I want them to and as many 501st and plain phase two clones and stormtroopers as I can handle. I've got Endor rebel commandos as resistance militia from Dantooine (Battlefront Elite Squadron anyone?), snowtroopers invading the surface of Belsavis, chasing smugglers that coincidentally look a lot like Han Solo and Obi-wan Kenobi in cold weather gear.. All sorts of crazy shizz! I like my customs and I like me some EU, especially the kind that hasn't been written yet, if you know what I mean. Hasbro was even kind enough to supply some imperial vehicles from that era, that weren't necessarily depicted anywhere else.. which I think is very cool! I guess my imagination is running a little wild for a 40 year old, but I'm happy :)

QuiGonJohn
07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
I buy less because there is so much less these days to buy. Simple.

GAdmiralThrawn
07-21-2012, 05:05 PM
My habits have changed. I buy the figures that I really want - mostly Imperials but, due to the price I've cut back to buying maybe one a month.

shadowmonkey
07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
this line will get me out almost for sure, going from a TVC cardback to this is just wrong. and the repacks....... how can you even do a vaders wingman? all vader did in the movie was grab 2 of the nearest pilots and say lets go.. they had nothing different about there suits, so i can just go get a TVC tie pilot and claim him to be the wingman.

the only fig id be interested in is mara jade.

Spookymufu
07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Are your collecting Habits changing? (http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084317/)

yes, I am not buying anywhere near the amount of stuff I used to.....because i cant find any of the new items!

Docking_Bay_94
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
I've changed to buying online with BBTS and EE, because I'm tired of all the disappointments at retail.

Skullsplitter
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh hell yeah. I've got very selective with my Hasbro purchases. Do to such shoddy distribution in Canada. I don' want to have to buy and entire wave on-line to get 2-3 figures that I really want then getting stuck with the rest because nobody wants them. Like the old days of buying records(really dating myself here lol) but I'd buy and album for 2-3 good songs. Last couple years I'm more into GG, SS, Koto, etc, etc.

autobot1976
07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
I have had to resort to buying most all my stuff online because...

1. There's no product on the shelves
2. When there IS product, it is all of 1 character due to stupid case assortments
3. Repaints & repack ... I'm done with that sh*t.
4. Paying more for less (smaller figures, poor QC, weak/shabby paint apps)

I have gotten super tired of the way Hasbro has been doing things over the past 2 years. The distribution has sucked. When there is product on the shelves, just an example with Transformers... it's ALL Bumblebee. Or a repainted Bumblebee packaged as a new character not even in the show. The retailers are FORCED into having these peg warmers which no one is going to buy, so they don't re-order the sku... They keep putting out the same characters over and over. The figures have gotten smaller & include little to no accessories. When there is an accessory, it's a stupid gimmick of some sort which is a waste of time & $$$. Then Hasbro blames poor sales on the consumer. Right...

Sorry, but I am afraid the reason my collecting habits are changing, at least when it comes to Hasbro product, it's for the worse and it's their fault.

metalhammer368
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
If Hasbro keeps up this madness,then Ill have to start shopping online soon just to get the vintage figures I want.I rarely figure hunt anymore.I have been buying collecting vinyl and cds more now.

Krayt
07-23-2012, 07:00 PM
If Hasbro keeps up this madness,then Ill have to start shopping online soon just to get the vintage figures I want.I rarely figure hunt anymore.I have been buying collecting vinyl and cds more now.

They still sell CDs? :whistling:

Jay_the_Lesser
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
My collecting habits are changing BIG TIME! The increasing prices of figures now has cut me back to the Vintage Collecting ONLY and...ONLY original trilogy characters. So it's down by a quarter thanks to Hasbro.

jimmii
07-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I've cut way back on hunting retail stores, buying repacks and being a completist.

Gambit
07-24-2012, 12:54 AM
This is the worst SW collecting has ever been for me. Over the last year, I've bought maybe 5 figures, if that. Reasons for that have been stated many times in this thread, so no need to repeat them. I hope it gets better. I miss buying new SW figures (at retail, I don't buy online).

Trooper31
07-24-2012, 06:15 AM
It is disheartening to go to a store and see mainly TPM pegwarmers. Outisde of the collectors canal and TRUs the stores here haven't seen anything past the DS wave and only one chain outside of TRUs had that wave.

I can't believe how badly Hasbro messed this up with all those TPM carry forwards. They had to have seen that coming like the rest of us.

BIGJIM
07-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I can't believe how badly Hasbro messed this up with all those TPM carry forwards. They had to have seen that coming like the rest of us.

I think they were expecting a lot more to come out of the 3D release. But in the end, it was just nerds going to see TPM again.

Trooper31
07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes, you're right. I think they did expect a lot more interest in the figures. The new/retooled ones were really well-done, but I guess they just expected too much.

RumSleg
07-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I have bought at least one of every TVC figure so I can have all the cards. Without the vintage cards, there will be no reason for me to buy one of each. Instead, I will pick and choose and likely buy one or more of the ones I like. Out of TLC13 wave 1, I will pick up on AOTC Anakin, Pablo Jill, and perhaps the Biker Scout if it is an improvement over the last one. From wave 2, I'm probably a sucker for Luke, Mara, Rex, Windu, Biggs, and the A-Wing pilot if it is an upgrade.

Zuma77
07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Yeah I have cut back on collecting Star Wars figures not because I needed to, but because I simply can't find the figures at any of the retailer's, I mean time after time spent hunting for store after store for anything new, and its always the same outcome; nothing new on the shelves and disappointment turning into loss of interest in anything Star Wars related. :(

Trooper31
07-27-2012, 06:31 AM
This becomes very disappointing. I think if Hasbro decides to go with 30ish figures in the basic line each year, then maybe they could allow the cases to ship for a longer time period. Of course sales will affect that, but I think not having to rsuh around and get the last 40 (of 50 figures for the year) in the final three months of the year, would help make collecting a lot more fun and less disappointing.

BrettX209
07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Of course my collecting habits are changing. Toys get more expensive, so my overall toy budget doesn't go as far. Honestly, when I got back into collecting, I was back in college, so I didn't have much of a budget, so I'm able to get more now. For me, the main thing now is space. I simply don't have the space to buy everything. Plus, there's very few "new" figures coming out. If it's a good upgrade, I'll buy a figure I already have and sell/trade the old one. Otherwise, it's an easy pass. The vintage packaging sucked me back in to "collect them all", but once that packaging is gone, I'll go back to being picky.

AZzRaeL
07-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm a loose collector, so I don't care about the card change. The thing that really bothers me is the avaibility of the figures. In my country it's almost impossible to get the last waves (save for the TPM one) and we have to pay more than $20 for each one. So I think I'm gonna buy less.

FF6Mog
07-28-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm a loose collector, and I've been slowing down the past few years for a number of reasons:

Lack of space to display all my loose figures. It's kinda hard to purchase more figures when you're running low on shelf space.

Marriage and kids cutting into the toy hunting time and shrinking down the places I can display the figures. It's a lot tougher to wake up, hit up multiple stores right as they're opening up, and give yourself the best chance to hunt for figures when you know your wife and kids need you at home.

Already being satisfied with the figures I've already got. I mean how many Darth Vaders can a guy buy?

Because I already have a number of figures already, I'm also getting pickier about which new figures to purchase. If a headsculpt looks off, maybe I pass on buying the figure and wait for a better/improved version to be released in a few years. Whereas in the past, I'd probably just buy slightly off figure. Plus, when you're starting to run out of space, you naturally get pickier about which figures you're gonna add to the collection.

The ever increasing difficulty of finding any new figures at brick-and-mortar stores. Sure, I can't go and hunt like I used to. But the utter lack of any new figures out on the pegs is ridiculous! I also collect GI Joe figures, and the lack of POC/30th Anniversary figures was pretty sad. I really don't understand how not having the figures out there and available is helping Hasbro's bottom line.

So, part of it is my priorities changing. But a really big part of it is Hasbro's distribution practices really discouraging me from staying in the collecting game.

I'm sure if I saw a random Aayla Secura or Wedge figure out on the pegs, I'd probably say screw it and pick it up. But when all you see every single time is the same Phantom Menace figures (or a few years ago, the same ESB, ROTJ, Sandtrooper, Clone Trooper stragglers), you lose your motivation to keep at it.

CadBane
07-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Won't be collecting carded anymore. That's for sure.

General_Solo76
07-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I've collected every figure, vehicle, beast, and exclusive available for TVC. So going forward I'm only going to collect the vehicles, beasts, and figures I don't already have, unless there's an update on something I already have that I can't pass up.

Zuma77
07-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Of course my collecting habits are changing. Toys get more expensive, so my overall toy budget doesn't go as far. Honestly, when I got back into collecting, I was back in college, so I didn't have much of a budget, so I'm able to get more now. For me, the main thing now is space. I simply don't have the space to buy everything. Plus, there's very few "new" figures coming out. If it's a good upgrade, I'll buy a figure I already have and sell/trade the old one. Otherwise, it's an easy pass. The vintage packaging sucked me back in to "collect them all", but once that packaging is gone, I'll go back to being picky.

I agree Brett, I got caught up in the madness of the TVC, I am not a completist, but do like to try to collect most of the different figures available in the TVC. I didn't buy all the repeat figures, just one of each, and I really tried to limit the amount of vehicles, beasts and such I was buying because I also collect GG and SSC merch, and that can get expensive. I think I have shifted my collecting from hasbro figs to collecting more GG and SSc stuff.

MightyMegs
07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I won't buy reduced articulation figures.

With current pricing, I've seriously cut down my army-building.

Even though I'm an opener, I was getting all the VC figures for their cardbacks... but that will go away with VC.

I just can't see myself buying the MTT, and I've bought every large vehicle to date. It is (to me) the most boring vehicle in ALL six movies, and is priced twice as much as it should be. That round, speeder-thing that was outside Mos Eisley Cantina was a more interesting vehicle... and it just sat there.

Idpullthecurtain
07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I won't buy reduced articulation figures.

I dont think you will have the option to? I guess those battle packs are an exception rather than a rule?

Krayt
07-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't think you have to worry about the price of the MTT because I think it will sit on store shelves so long that at some point it will come down massively. Like you Megs, I have bought every Big vehicle they have put out so far but have no real interest in this thing either. I might get one if I see it going for like ten bucks but I have no real desire for the thing. 20 battle droids for cheap though sounds good...

With cost and space and everything else adding up in this hobby, I still don't think I will change my figure selection for what I will or won't buy but I am definitely changing what vehicles I buy. However, with Hasbro putting out less and less vehicles it seems like I won't have to worry about what I buy because there isn't anything really to buy in the first place.

Idpullthecurtain
07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't think you have to worry about the price of the MTT because I think it will sit on store shelves so long that at some point it will come down massively. Like you Megs, I have bought every Big vehicle they have put out so far but have no real interest in this thing either. I might get one if I see it going for like ten bucks but I have no real desire for the thing. 20 battle droids for cheap though sounds good...

With cost and space and everything else adding up in this hobby, I still don't think I will change my figure selection for what I will or won't buy but I am definitely changing what vehicles I buy. However, with Hasbro putting out less and less vehicles it seems like I won't have to worry about what I buy because there isn't anything really to buy in the first place.

Agreed. It totally baffling that they went ahead with this one, I cant imagine the cost and risk attached to this one. I do wonder who makes the selections sometimes. I bet even big PT fans didnt really want this at all.

Jcc2224Cody
07-29-2012, 12:36 PM
I think my habits have certainly changed over the past few years with TVC. I often depend on the online market rather than retail for my Star Wars purchases. TVC certainly has been a bummer for me the past few months, not only can I not find anything, but I have the displeasure of spending more money for something that I could spend less on if I could get it in the store.

MH is a line that I only have 3 figures from this year, and honestly, I don't know if it will go any higher, ever. Considering that I used to purchase figures from all lines before 2012, this has left me with more money.

Clone Wars is also something of a heart-break. With the low quality of troopers and the fact I can't even find THOSE, this has also left me with more money to spare.

With this money, I'm starting to get back into some of my childhood hobbies, G.I. Joe (Cobra specifically) and Transformers. Considering that I have only started to collect those, I only really go to retail now excepting to see something for those, never SW anymore.

Distribution has caused me to visit stores less often. Target is a place that I hardly want to go to anymore, but I must admit I visited one just yesterday to pick up a GI Joe pack. (At least they had that...) Walmart used to be a hot spot for me. Though I still go often for other supplies, I hardly expect anything new there either, except with one Walmart where I actually found things like Transformers Knock-Out and Avengers Black Widow. TRU has things here and there, but other than those I hardly expect to see anything new there either.

Yeah, my habits have changed greatly, and it all started this year. Obviously, Hasbro f*cking up with MH, CW, and TVC distribution this year has really left me with little to buy, and what I do buy is from online.

prequelsonly07
07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Agreed. It totally baffling that they went ahead with this one, I cant imagine the cost and risk attached to this one. I do wonder who makes the selections sometimes. I bet even big PT fans didnt really want this at all.
Youv'e got a good point. I'm a PT fan and I will more than likely pass on this due to space and cost.

MightyMegs
07-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I dont think you will have the option to? I guess those battle packs are an exception rather than a rule?

I thought Build-A-Droid was continuing the fully articulated figures... are they going to be like Movie Heroes too?

minerjem
07-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Fell in love with TVC by accident; I wasn't around for the original VC collection, and never meant to be a TVC completist, but thanks to Wal Mart's $4 sale at the start of the year, I was able to get a decent number of the collection and grew to appreciate the cardbacks and figure articulation.

Now 1.5 of my room's 4 walls are covered in TVC figures, but they really make the room pop! Even though I became a TVC completeist, I only bought doubles of some figures I wanted to open, and will be going on cherry picker status next year.

I was army building hardcore last year and didn't know how to stop. Now I have loads of SL Phase I,Phase II, Shocktroopers, and 501st troopers, but the MH line and Hasbro's new love of the TVC 45 sculpt helped me kick the habit, well except for Naboo Guards, but since they aren't very popular, I keep finding them for $5 or less online.

Like everyone else, I was a victim of poor distribution until I took a stand and started buying cases online. That will stop next year. The only figures I'm interested in getting so far are Pablo Jill and Mara Jade; was never really big on build a droid. However, if was the line was Build a Naboo Guard, then I would be in very deep poodoo, since I can't get enough of those dudes!

Oh well, I guess this just means I'll be saving money or blowing it all on Hobbit figures(forgive me, fellow brollectors, but I do love Middle Earth as much as I do a galaxy far, far away).

minerjem
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Fell in love with TVC by accident; I wasn't around for the original VC collection, and never meant to be a TVC completist, but thanks to Wal Mart's $4 sale at the start of the year, I was able to get a decent number of the collection and grew to appreciate the cardbacks and figure articulation.

Now 1.5 of my room's 4 walls are covered in TVC figures, but they really make the room pop! Even though I became a TVC completeist, I only bought doubles of some figures I wanted to open, and will be going on cherry picker status next year.

I was army building hardcore last year and didn't know how to stop. Now I have loads of SL Phase I,Phase II, Shocktroopers, and 501st troopers, but the MH line and Hasbro's new love of the TVC 45 sculpt helped me kick the habit, well except for Naboo Guards, but since they aren't very popular, I keep finding them for $5 or less online.

Like everyone else, I was a victim of poor distribution until I took a stand and started buying cases online. That will stop next year. The only figures I'm interested in getting so far are Pablo Jill and Mara Jade; was never really big on build a droid. However, if was the line was Build a Naboo Guard, then I would be in very deep poodoo, since I can't get enough of those dudes!

Oh well, I guess this just means I'll be saving money or blowing it all on Hobbit figures(forgive me, fellow brollectors, but I do love Middle Earth as much as I do a galaxy far, far away).

I meant to say, "if the line was Build a Naboo Guard." Sorry guys, but I didn't have the option of editing my comment.

bigbarada
07-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Nothing to apologize for there. Lord of the Rings is a great trilogy of films and my hopes are pretty high for the upcoming Hobbit movies. In fact, in many ways, I consider LOTR to be superior to both Star Wars trilogies. However, I have never really been interested in amassing a large collection of LOTR toys. I think it might have been the larger scale of the LOTR figures that just naturally caused me to limit my purchases. Although I did buy the big Shelob figure from ROTK and let's just say that my dog was NOT happy about that toy being in the house.

My collecting interests have recently shifted back over to comic books. Primarily Silver Age Marvel comics. I just recently acquired a copy of X-Men #9 from 1965, which featured the very first battle between the X-Men and the Avengers. There are several other issues that I want to get from that time period and my long term goal would be to own the entire initial run of the 1963 X-Men series, issues 1-66. At this point, I would be willing to sell off 99% of my Star Wars collection in order to reach that goal.

bigbarada
07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I meant to say, "if the line was Build a Naboo Guard." Sorry guys, but I didn't have the option of editing my comment.

Nobody has the option to edit their own posts anymore it seems. It's ridiculous.

I'm trying to think of some logical reason to implement a change like that, but can only assume it must be due to lazy, overworked, and/or incompetent moderators/administrators. The frustration level that posting on this site has become recently is starting to outweigh any enjoyment that visiting this site use to bring.

RumSleg
07-31-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm trying to think of some logical reason to implement a change like that, but can only assume it must be due to lazy, overworked, and/or incompetent moderators/administrators. The frustration level that posting on this site has become recently is starting to outweigh any enjoyment that visiting this site use to bring.

The admins removed the ability to edit posts after that kerfluffle between Philip Wise and a member who wanted to delete a bunch of his limelighting posts and take them to a different forum after he got banned on this forum.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083095/

RumSleg
07-31-2012, 07:57 PM

EDIT of previous post: and bigbarada apparently knows all about this since he made a bunch of posts to that other thread I just linked to. Duh. :P

bigbarada
07-31-2012, 09:37 PM
The admins removed the ability to edit posts after that kerfluffle between Philip Wise and a member who wanted to delete a bunch of his limelighting posts and take them to a different forum after he got banned on this forum.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083095/

Yeah, but that all took place weeks before the editing option was removed. If that really was the case, then the admin of this site is as slow as it is ineffective.

Why not just set it like they do over at SirStevesGuide and allow people to edit their posts up to 24-hours after making them and then the post becomes uneditable after that? This will allow people to correct typos and such.

I'm tired of the people who run this site treating us, the members, like we're the enemy and we're trying to pull one over on them somehow.

ZX3
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Packaging won't change my habits, but availability definitely does.
I've switched to buying cases online since nothing shows up at retail anymore. But since most of the case assortments have been only about 40% new that has been frustrating too.
If distribution doesn't improve I hope at least the case breakdowns do.

Diablo20
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
My habits have definitely changed and mostly not by choice. The huge run-up in price and lack of availability have really limited what I purchase. I'm only interested in picking up a figure or 2 from each wave.

On a high note, I'm starting to get a taste for the Sideshow 1:6 scale figures. Talk about an expensive but totally cool collectible.

GNT
08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Let's keep this thread on topic, editing posts can be talked about in the thread started by Philip :)

Trooper31
08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
My habits have definitely changed and mostly not by choice. The huge run-up in price and lack of availability have really limited what I purchase. I'm only interested in picking up a figure or 2 from each wave.

On a high note, I'm starting to get a taste for the Sideshow 1:6 scale figures. Talk about an expensive but totally cool collectible.

I just recently started as well with SS. I won't get everything and at this point there isn't alot that I want from them, but they are pretty cool. I will always have a soft spot for the 3 3/4" stuff.

One thing that I'm finding is that I'm doing less and less army building because I've gotten a lot of areas covered. I'd still like more Imp Navy Commanders, but things like TIE Pilots and AT-AT drivers are pretty much done.

Diablo20
08-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I just recently started as well with SS. I won't get everything and at this point there isn't alot that I want from them, but they are pretty cool. I will always have a soft spot for the 3 3/4" stuff.

I agree, the 3 3/4" figures will always be first and foremost in my heart.

homer_sapien
08-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm on the edge of dropping out. MH and CW (which I've loved from its start) are a waste of peg space this year. Vintage, which actually has figures in the line up I want to buy, hasn't been restocked since TPM wave came out leaving me a choice between vastly over paying online for every single TVC figure I want, ordering full cases just for the 3 or so figures I actually want in the case, or just going without. And right now, after 7 months of nothing available to buy, that going without option is getting easier and easier.

Diablo20
08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm on the edge of dropping out. MH and CW (which I've loved from its start) are a waste of peg space this year. Vintage, which actually has figures in the line up I want to buy, hasn't been restocked since TPM wave came out leaving me a choice between vastly over paying online for every single TVC figure I want, ordering full cases just for the 3 or so figures I actually want in the case, or just going without. And right now, after 7 months of nothing available to buy, that going without option is getting easier and easier.

I hear you on that one brother. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not frustrating. I shouldn't have to beg to give someone my money,

Sharp
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm primarily a vintage collector but have dabbled in modern on and off since POTF2 debuted. My collecting habits in regards to modern haven't changed. I collect OT characters that were never originally offered as part of Kenner's original run. It's a fun focus. I don't really have any repeating characters in my collection, I've ended up with a nice sampling of modern packaging styles, and these characters are represented in my collection. It also keeps me current with the modern hobby. While I don't pay too close attention to it, I'm in tune just enough to have a general idea of what's going on.

-Bobby

bigbarada
08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Let's keep this thread on topic, editing posts can be talked about in the thread started by Philip :)

Yeah, because it's much easier for you guys to continue to ignore us that way. :rolleyes:

I agree, the 3 3/4" figures will always be first and foremost in my heart.

To me, Star Wars and the 3 3/4" line go hand in hand. If there was a major change of format, then I would drop out of the hobby, because it just wouldn't feel like Star Wars to me. I'm 39 years old and for 34 of those 39 years Star Wars has been synonymous with the 3 3/4" figure line; that's not going to change any time soon.

Star Wars related statues, busts, props, 12" figures, books, comic books, etc., those are all well and good and I might buy one or two here and there, but I would never collect any of that stuff the way I've collected the Kenner/Hasbro action figures. If the action figure line goes, so does my Star Wars hobby.

I'm already moving back to comic books as my primary hobby (which was the hobby that replaced action figures when I was a kid), but I won't touch Star Wars comics. I never had much interest in them as a kid and I don't have any interest in them now.

Wishing_Well
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Yeah, because it's much easier for you guys to continue to ignore us that way. :rolleyes:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7s6g7y34w1qiq5w9.gif

Diablo20
08-03-2012, 03:37 PM
To me, Star Wars and the 3 3/4" line go hand in hand. If there was a major change of format, then I would drop out of the hobby, because it just wouldn't feel like Star Wars to me. I'm 39 years old and for 34 of those 39 years Star Wars has been synonymous with the 3 3/4" figure line; that's not going to change any time soon.

Star Wars related statues, busts, props, 12" figures, books, comic books, etc., those are all well and good and I might buy one or two here and there, but I would never collect any of that stuff the way I've collected the Kenner/Hasbro action figures. If the action figure line goes, so does my Star Wars hobby.

I'm already moving back to comic books as my primary hobby (which was the hobby that replaced action figures when I was a kid), but I won't touch Star Wars comics. I never had much interest in them as a kid and I don't have any interest in them now.

Wasn't Star Wars the first 3 3/4" product line? Up to that point, action figures were in the 8" realm (GI Joe, Mego). Was there another line of figures in that scale before then? Just curious.

RumSleg
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Hear hear! 3 3/4" is the *only* scale for Star Wars figures, and for action figures in general, in my book. Pre-conditioned from infancy on this scale with my vintage star wars figures, I've never had any interest in figures at any other scale. (I had some He-Man and Ninja Turtles that were bigger, but that's pushing it.) Star Wars figures in any other scale would ruin it for me. I like how I can still stand some of my vintage figures (mostly Jabba's goons) in with their modern counterparts and they don't look very out of place. A different scale would just ruin things, so I'd never buy another scale.

Star Wars comics are very hit or miss (just like any other title, depending on the writer and artists?). A lot of Knights of the Old Republic was decent, but Legacy was mostly lame. The short series are usually pretty good - Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison (out right now) is really excellent. The Knight Errant series (also out right now) is really atrocious. Dark Times has been really, really excellent.

Sharp
08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
To me, Star Wars and the 3 3/4" line go hand in hand.

Absolutely. I think a major format change would would be horribly misplaced. Imagine Hasbro losing the license, another toy company picking it up, and issuing 8" figures or something along those lines. It might certainly be neat as a novelty factor, and it's likely that the figures would look great, but most of us older folks would probably feel the vacuum of the missing 3 3/4" line. There's just too much history in that relationship.

AnthonyP
08-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm a 3 3/4" completest, so I'd just continue on the path I'm currently on. I don't foresee myself cutting down or changing my collecting habits at all.

CadBane
08-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Only things that I must have are any upcoming Palace/Skiff/Cantina aliens and Geo Padme.

saundo5
08-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Wasn't Star Wars the first 3 3/4" product line? Up to that point, action figures were in the 8" realm (GI Joe, Mego). Was there another line of figures in that scale before then? Just curious.

fisher price had a line called "adventure people" and mego had a "pocket heroes" line that predated star wars if i remember correctly.

saundo5
08-04-2012, 12:45 PM
here ya go....75 Fisher Price Adventure People Debut I Plaid Stallions Retro Toy Fair Coverage (http://www.plaidstallions.com/toyfair/75fpap.html)

saundo5
08-04-2012, 12:52 PM
my bad, the mego pocket heroes came out in '79.

saundo5
08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
it was megos "comic action hereoes".....not the pocket heroes. Mego Comic Action Heroes I Mego CAH I MEGO Museum (http://www.megomuseum.com/heroes/ca.shtml)

Diablo20
08-04-2012, 01:59 PM
it was megos "comic action hereoes".....not the pocket heroes. Mego Comic Action Heroes I Mego CAH I MEGO Museum (http://www.megomuseum.com/heroes/ca.shtml)

Ah, well they might not have been first in the size format, they certainly were an improvement.

Thanks for the posts, I remember the Adventure People but not the comic action heroes. I would not have remembered them if they came out in '79 since I was obsessed with Star Wars at the time. Nothing else existed to me at the time.

ChiefBass
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes my Star Wars collecting habits have changed somewhat. I'm concentrating more on getting certain figures of Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Star Wars aka Episode IV New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

I still have some mos eisley cantina aliens to get along with Wuher, Aunt Beru, Motti, Garindan and some 30th Annivesrary Sandtroopers.

Then for Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones its mostly of figures of Palpatine, Bail Organa, Padme, Sabe/Rabe, Tarpuls, Boss Nass, 2-3 Gungan warriors, OOM, Gunray, Lott Dodd, Sly Moore, Dooku, Lama Su, Death Sticks guy.

Im getting tired of Hasbro showing more special treatment for figures based on Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi. Yes I love Return of the Jedi but enough already with Jabba's goons and enough already with these gazilltionth "Final Duel Luke skywalker figures.

Hasbro they need to make only one final duel Luke skywalker figure and no more. One is enough. If they keep making one another after another they're gonna make the figure look awful etc. Even with Darth Vader. Why the heck do they keep having his shoulders have teh silver armor pieces where in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi he never had shiny silver shoulder armor pieces? They were all black. Seriously. I should know this for a fact since I grew up with the original trilogy and Vader's shoulder armor pieces were always black

bigbarada
08-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Even with Darth Vader. Why the heck do they keep having his shoulders have teh silver armor pieces where in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi he never had shiny silver shoulder armor pieces? They were all black. Seriously. I should know this for a fact since I grew up with the original trilogy and Vader's shoulder armor pieces were always black

Are you just not very observant? There were obviously silver portions of Darth Vader's shoulder armor in ESB and ROTJ. It's almost impossible to miss.

ChiefBass
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
No. They have always been solid black for the shoulder armor pieces in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I know this for a damn fact. I have seen the movies ever since I was a kid growing up in the early 1980s. Watched them on HBO and on recording tapes alot.

THE ONLY time they were ever black for the shoulder armor pieces were in Star Wars aka Episode IV New Hope.

General_Solo76
08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
No. They have always been solid black for the shoulder armor pieces in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. THE ONLY time they were ever black for the shoulder armor pieces were in Star Wars aka Episode IV New Hope. So which is it?

bigbarada
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
No. They have always been solid black for the shoulder armor pieces in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I know this for a damn fact. I have seen the movies ever since I was a kid growing up in the early 1980s. Watched them on HBO and on recording tapes alot.

THE ONLY time they were ever black for the shoulder armor pieces were in Star Wars aka Episode IV New Hope.

You obviously didn't pay very close attention. Maybe you need to adjust the brightness on your television?

You can see the silver portions on his shoulder armor in the photo below. It's just the lighting makes them look darker than they are.
http://www.chasingthefrog.com/movie-villains/darth-vader/shawscene.jpg

bigbarada
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Still can't edit, grrrrr....

Here's a production photo of Darth Vader from 1983 and the better lighting makes the silver portions of his armor stand out much more:
http://www.chasingthefrog.com/movie-villains/darth-vader/darth_vader2.jpg

RegJr
08-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Is ChiefBass talking about shoulder armor, or chest armor? I can tell that bigbarada is talking about chest armor, since in the pictures provided by him above, the armor seen directly below the chin is not covering the shoulders, but the chest. So, which is it: shoulder armor, or chest armor?

RegJr
08-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Grey shoulder armor:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XCrciLm4FhU/TEUYyRolaFI/AAAAAAAAABY/zBWVIXP3qVA/s1600/starwars-darth-vader-wallpaper-05.jpg

Versus black shoulder armor:

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/sw5vader.jpg

ChiefBass
08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes that is the shoulder armor pieces I am talking about for Empire Strikes Back AND Return of the Jedi. They have always been black for the shoulder areas for god's sake but as always noone ever listens.

The ONLY freaking time that the shoulders have been "grey" or dull silver was in Star Wars/Episode IV.

Then Hasbro keeps making Darth Vader figures with the all shiny silver shoulder pieces based on Revenge of the Sith.

I am right. YOu guys are wrong. God I just love coming to this site and trying to correct you guys.......

bigbarada
08-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I am right. YOu guys are wrong. God I just love coming to this site and trying to correct you guys.......

Feel free to post some photos proving your point.

Wishing_Well
08-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Feel free to post some photos proving your point.

Remember when this guy tried quoting someone? I doubt he could post pics right.

padmesghost
08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
only buying what i love from now on. even if it is only 1 figure a wave.

tierneygreen
08-05-2012, 04:14 PM
My collecting habits have definitely changed over the last two years. Mostly shop the secondary market. Sometimes Amazon, if I can "buy low". I no longer make those extra trips to WM and TRU, or swing by Target before & after work. I just got tired of coming up empty 99.99% of time. Additionally, there just aren't many characters/vehicles/upgrades left that I'd even want them to make, which means I'm not ordering an entire wave. Ever. Anything I have wanted recently I've paid a premium for, but that beats wasting my time at retail, or paying $130+ for the two figures I want, only to eat another ten figures I don't want. Maybe my want-to-don't-want ratio has always been the same. Maybe it's just more pronounced since I can't seem to find anything at retail. Hard to say, I guess. In any event, you're reading the rant of a guy who is nearing the end of his Star Wars collection.

So, to sum up: Not enough stuff I want. Can't find what I do want. Boo, hoo, hoo. Queue the violin player.

Still enjoy Star Wars, though, and I'm proud of the collection I have. Maybe I'll move over to G.I. J... Oh yeah, nobody stocks those, either.

Trooper31
08-06-2012, 04:13 AM
I wonder if we could actually find current stuff, what people would be writing here.

Billy_Ray
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Yes that is the shoulder armor pieces I am talking about for Empire Strikes Back AND Return of the Jedi. They have always been black for the shoulder areas for god's sake but as always noone ever listens.

The ONLY freaking time that the shoulders have been "grey" or dull silver was in Star Wars/Episode IV.

Then Hasbro keeps making Darth Vader figures with the all shiny silver shoulder pieces based on Revenge of the Sith.

Ahh Shutzie. I am gonna miss this stuff...at least for the next week or so, till you come back with a new profile.

Deathbymonkeys
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I wonder if we could actually find current stuff, what people would be writing here.

They would complain about how Hasbro is releasing too much. Hehe.

Diablo20
08-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Isn't complaining part of the hobby? :grin:

ZX3
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
fisher price had a line called "adventure people" and mego had a "pocket heroes" line that predated star wars if i remember correctly.

It's funny to read this.
Star Wars has been in such a drought for new product lately I've been considering collecting the old Mego and Kenner lines like Butch and Sundance or the Mattel Battlestar Galactica. I had a few of them mixed in with my Creature Cantina as a kid.

Kevin Lentz's 3 3/4-inch Archives (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/)

smithrm65
08-06-2012, 10:13 PM
This past week I went thru all of Stan's old comments and compared to what we have seen released so far and what is still to come. So i am optimistic that we have some good stuff coming out. I mostly collect pilots and jedi

Diablo20
08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
It's funny to read this.
Star Wars has been in such a drought for new product lately I've been considering collecting the old Mego and Kenner lines like Butch and Sundance or the Mattel Battlestar Galactica. I had a few of them mixed in with my Creature Cantina as a kid.

Kevin Lentz's 3 3/4-inch Archives (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/)

Oh Yea! I remember picking up a bunch of BSG figures for $.50 each when I was a kid. The Cylon was the bomb. I thought the Ovion was cool too. I accidentally left him in the driveway one day and he got run over. I should track another one down on Ebay.

Trooper31
08-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Isn't complaining part of the hobby? :grin:

Yes, and one of the fun parts of it.

GarvenDreis
08-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Well the overall appeal is going down (New packaging and selection bores me) and I won't be buying duplicates to keep MOC.

I'll be more selective and not but repacks like I did for TVC.

ouibacca
08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

And more people should listen. That's the most fascinating part of that scene in Empire... The Shoulders Are Black!

bigbarada
08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
And more people should listen. That's the most fascinating part of that scene in Empire... The Shoulders Are Black!

I know, I remember that being the big revelation for Empire Strikes Back. In fact, I once read a story about a guy who had just gotten done watching the big duel between Luke and Vader on ESB's opening day and he got up, went into the theater lobby and yelled, in front of all of the people waiting in line for the next showing, "Darth Vader's shoulder are black!" Totally ruining the movie for all the people who hadn't seen it yet.

GarvenDreis
08-10-2012, 05:09 AM
I know, I remember that being the big revelation for Empire Strikes Back. In fact, I once read a story about a guy who had just gotten done watching the big duel between Luke and Vader on ESB's opening day and he got up, went into the theater lobby and yelled, in front of all of the people waiting in line for the next showing, "Darth Vader's shoulder are black!" Totally ruining the movie for all the people who hadn't seen it yet.
​http://smiliesftw.com/x/smiley-rofl.gif Best post of 2012!

StarWarsMonsters
08-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Bleah, I'm finally thinking hard about quitting. There's little enjoyment left for me.

Too many negatives seem suddenly to be piling up on one another. The preposterous distro problem for the last, count 'em TWO YEARS was bad enough. Now add to that regular single-carded figures (important OT characters at that) being online exclusives, the possibility of online exclusivity being the future of the line and continued issues such as ever rising prices, hit-or-miss quality and exclusive shenanigans (eg a wanted character turning up in a $40 box of **** I don't want).

None of those may have been deal-breakers in the past, but taken together that's a lot of bull**** for a(n) (expensive) thing that's supposed to be an enjoyable pastime.

Krayt
08-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I am sorry to hear you are thinking about quitting...
Hope you do stick around the threads though. I enjoy seeing your posts around here

StarWarsMonsters
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I am sorry to hear you are thinking about quitting...
Hope you do stick around the threads though. I enjoy seeing your posts around here
Thanks. If I did quit, I'd probably never look at this site again. I wouldn't want to see what new stuff I'd be missing. LOL

Obi_Han
08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I will buy some of the Legacy figures based on what was shown at SDCC but my buying will go down significantly and I will not be keeping any MOC.

darklordzor
08-17-2012, 05:27 PM
I've cut back quite a bit on the action figure collecting. Truth is, in my area, the stores just don't update very regularly, so most of the lines that hold any interest for me, don't even arrive. I've had to buy a lot of them on the internet. Plus, to be honest, I've never enjoyed the look of the 'cartoon' figures. I like the 'realistic' ones better, and since so many are from the cartoon show anymore, I just don't care to pick them up.

Instead I've been slowly switching to other areas of Star Wars stuff to collect, like the household items, art, statues, and more unusual items. The more 'premium' stuff. Of course I still pick up figures dealing with certain things I focus on in my collection, but figures are no longer the focus of my collecting ways that they once were.

Krayt
08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Actually I have expanded into other areas as well...
Looking into getting more Sideshow collectibles stuff

DagMarus
08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty steadily running out of room for everything, after doing a bit of an inventory. It's going to be crunch time in terms of what I buy. As cool as a larger Sandcrawler would be, I already made a facade of one to-scale that works just fine. Really, the only big vehicle I'll ever buy at this point would be the Sail Barge. And unless they somehow make the Imperial Shuttle larger, I'm set on the two I have right now. If a figure doesn't fit into a diorama, I have to actually consider whether or not I really want it these days.

SGT_A
08-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, I have pondered this quite a bit lately. Since TVC is stepping out of the ring, my collecting more than likely will as well. I will still keep an eye to see if anything new from the Legacy line looks worthy to purchase, but at this point, it looks like I will be saving money. Time will tell but I will not be tracking down 1 MOC of each like I did with TVC (my wife is thrilled about it actually)

Krayt
08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I will say that Hasbro has saved me a bunch of money with what they have down with the vehicles. It's been awhile now since I have purchased or wanted to purchase one of those.

Kobayashi
08-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Bleah, I'm finally thinking hard about quitting. There's little enjoyment left for me.

Too many negatives seem suddenly to be piling up on one another. The preposterous distro problem for the last, count 'em TWO YEARS was bad enough. Now add to that regular single-carded figures (important OT characters at that) being online exclusives, the possibility of online exclusivity being the future of the line and continued issues such as ever rising prices, hit-or-miss quality and exclusive shenanigans (eg a wanted character turning up in a $40 box of **** I don't want).

None of those may have been deal-breakers in the past, but taken together that's a lot of bull**** for a(n) (expensive) thing that's supposed to be an enjoyable pastime.

I'm having similar feelings and I wonder if I should take a sabbatical too or sell what I have and reap the financial benefits. I guess it would depend whether the action figure collecting business ever gets enjoyable again or if it will just be continued headaches.

Currently I've been really getting back into Legos, which are toy-ish and stylized representations of the SW universe but offer a lot of playability and versatility. One of the best parts is that Lego does not suffer from the same distribution problems so finding them is easy and waiting for a sale does not carry any risks of losing any purchasing opportunities (as retail prices are a bit high).

I guess as a fan of SW, I have to ask myself do I get the same enjoyment out of this:
LEGO 8129-1: AT-AT Walker | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8129-1)

As I do these?
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCvehAT-AT.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive - Defense of Hoth (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCEXDefenseofHoth.asp)
Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBD51LukeSnow.asp)
Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBD55Snow.asp)
Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBD49ATATDriver.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC05atatcomm.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC06c3po.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC50HanSolo.asp)

Taking into account price and which provides more hassle in display and storage. At least, is it worth it for Kobayashi?

I still enjoy this hobby and still would if some of the problems associated with Hasbro were not present.

Notorious_Boba
08-18-2012, 04:44 PM
I will say that Hasbro has saved me a bunch of money with what they have down with the vehicles. It's been awhile now since I have purchased or wanted to purchase one of those.I totally agree. My last vechicle was the lastest AT-AP on,markdown from Walmart.

homer_sapien
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm having similar feelings and I wonder if I should take a sabbatical too or sell what I have and reap the financial benefits. I guess it would depend whether the action figure collecting business ever gets enjoyable again or if it will just be continued headaches.

Currently I've been really getting back into Legos, which are toy-ish and stylized representations of the SW universe but offer a lot of playability and versatility. One of the best parts is that Lego does not suffer from the same distribution problems so finding them is easy and waiting for a sale does not carry any risks of losing any purchasing opportunities (as retail prices are a bit high).

I guess as a fan of SW, I have to ask myself do I get the same enjoyment out of this:
LEGO 8129-1: AT-AT Walker | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8129-1)

As I do these?
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCvehAT-AT.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive - Defense of Hoth (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCEXDefenseofHoth.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC05atatcomm.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC06c3po.asp)
Rebelscum.com: The Vintage Collection Photo Archive (http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC50HanSolo.asp)

Taking into account price and which provides more hassle in display and storage. At least, is it worth it for Kobayashi?

I still enjoy this hobby and still would if some of the problems associated with Hasbro were not present.

Thwe total lack of anything new at retail this year has resulted in me a lot more Legos lately too. Its so nice being able to just decide I want something and being able to go into a store and buy it without any hassle.

homer_sapien
08-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I totally agree. My last vechicle was the lastest AT-AP on,markdown from Walmart.

MY last retail Star Wars purchase was the Battle Droid on STAP I got from Target back a few(?) months back when they had that 50% one Star Wars item coupon in the weekly flyer.

Obi_Han
08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Thwe total lack of anything new at retail this year has resulted in me a lot more Legos lately too. Its so nice being able to just decide I want something and being able to go into a store and buy it without any hassle.

Well said. I have noticed all the new SW lego sets in stores lately on a consistent basis. How can it be so seemingly easy for Legos and so hard for Hasbro?

darthsatan
08-25-2012, 10:12 AM
They are now. But it isn't my fault, is it Hasbro?

DagMarus
08-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I think after these latest reveals, my collecting habits are changing even more. If things don't improve and there's nothing worth buying, they only have themselves to blame.

RumSleg
08-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Last night I had the itch to add something, anything to my Star Wars collection. Since there was no new Hasbro stuff to get, I finally bought my first Star Wars Lego set - the small Endor set that comes with a speeder bike and biker scout. I love it. The scout is going on my desk at work. I am resisting, but it would be really, really easy to get hooked on these little lego guys.

Droidworld
08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Are my collecting habits changing? Hmmmmmm, I guess I'm buying re-paints, re-hashes, and tiny little ships. NOT!

I might just end up paying extra for some BADs and the occasional vintage exclusives. I said it elsewhere in another thread:

Hey Hasbro! I can cut back too.

Michael_Knight
08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Convenient that this thread came up. Yeah, my habits are changing and I will be that much richer until they collectively get their heads out of their *****.

Scarrviper
08-25-2012, 12:49 PM
No. My collecting habits are not changing. I will continue to pick and choose to buy what I want, and ignore the items I have absolutely no interest in. That's it.

darthsatan
08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
It does rather become a problem for one's hobby when the items one has "absolutely no interest in" constitute the entirety of the line. :'(

Kobayashi
08-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Last night I had the itch to add something, anything to my Star Wars collection. Since there was no new Hasbro stuff to get, I finally bought my first Star Wars Lego set - the small Endor set that comes with a speeder bike and biker scout. I love it. The scout is going on my desk at work. I am resisting, but it would be really, really easy to get hooked on these little lego guys.

Ha! What a coincidence, my first SW Lego set was also a Speeder Bike. Although we're talking close to 13 years ago.
LEGO 7128-1: Speeder Bikes | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7128-1)

Masterfett
08-25-2012, 03:06 PM

They are now. But it isn't my fault, is it Hasbro?

I agree, after C6 I have no faith or interest in the line anymore.

Unless something serious is shown at TF, I believe this will be my last year.

bigbarada
08-25-2012, 03:18 PM

As I do these?

I've been getting more into the Lego sets as well. They've always been kind of a fallback for me when I can't find any Hasbro action figures that I want, but recently I find myself going to the Lego aisle first and spending more time there than the action figure aisle. It probably doesn't hurt that they're producing some really nice Jabba's Palace related sets right now.

It does rather become a problem for one's hobby when the items one has "absolutely no interest in" constitute the entirety of the line. :'(

Yeah, I've always just cherry-picked the figures that I wanted from each wave and I rarely ever bought entire waves. However, it's a bit disconcerting that the first two waves of 2013 have nothing that I'm interested in or figures that I might have been interested in if Hasbro hadn't totally botched their execution (the Biker Scout with those ugly black shoulder joints and don't even get me started again on that A-Wing Pilot).

RumSleg
08-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Ha! What a coincidence, my first SW Lego set was also a Speeder Bike. Although we're talking close to 13 years ago.
LEGO 7128-1: Speeder Bikes | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7128-1)

Ha! I like your set better; it looks like a more legitimate lego creation. If I have any criticism of the set I bought, it's that the speeder bike is made up of some molded pieces that can't really be anything else but the body of a speeder. Feels like it's cheating a bit. I thought the whole fun of legos was using all the generic brick shapes to make the vehicles and buildings.

Darth_Jawa
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Convenient that this thread came up. Yeah, my habits are changing and I will be that much richer until they collectively get their heads out of their *****.

I couldn't agree more. From what I have seen revealed at SDCC and Celebration VI, there are a grand total of five figures I will be purchasing from the first two waves to add to my loose collection. My carded collecting days are over, at least until the Vintage line comes back. If Hasbro doesn't manage to lose the license before that happens. These are dark days for Star Wars collectors, indeed.

bigbarada
08-25-2012, 05:35 PM
If Hasbro doesn't manage to lose the license before that happens.

They're not going to lose the license. They are under contract to have the exclusive rights to sell Star Wars action figure until 2017. Low sales or even the canceling of the entire Star Ware line won't change that fact. For instance, Kenner cancelled the Star Wars line in 1985, but retained the Star Wars license until 1997. Hasbro inherited that when they purchased Kenner in 1991.

So this is not a case of Lucasfilm saying, "If you don't do better then we'll take the license from you." Hopefully, that's not what you were implying.

Anyways, based on the most recent Curto/Burns Podcast, it seems like Hasbro will be keeping vintage on life support through exclusive releases, while Droid Factory goes on. From the sounds of things, Vintage will be back full force inside of 2 years.

homer_sapien
08-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Well said. I have noticed all the new SW lego sets in stores lately on a consistent basis. How can it be so seemingly easy for Legos and so hard for Hasbro?

I've seen all the new SW sets in multiple stores except the planet series AT-ST. That's the only new set that has eluded me so far.

darth_sidious
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
After seeing wave 1 of the lines for 2013, I have to admit that I am finally losing major interest in collecting a high volume of figures each year. When the first BAD line was around, I bought every figure in order to make each BAD - I'm not doing that anymore. I dont like what the CW and MH lines have to offer, and I only like a select few from the BAD line. I dont think I'd leave collecting, but I may scale back to just buying a few figures per wave that I really like. I'm all for new characters, but I cant continue to buy rehashed core characters, clone and droid repaints, etc for years to come...

Krayt
08-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Sidious, it's a good thing then that Hasbro isn't targetting you with the CW or MH line....
I will give Hasbro a chance yet to see where things are going. I am not thrilled with how SDCC and now C6 have gone. This year has pretty much been a write off, so I will see if Hasbro is going to bounce back. They have said some things that have me interested but I am not going to wait around forever to see if they do it or not. I am only interested in four figures from two waves. So ToyFair better be good otherwise I think I might actually step out...

Wish I would have gotten into Lego sooner since they make more things than Hasbro does

bigbarada
08-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Sidious, it's a good thing then that Hasbro isn't targetting you with the CW or MH line....

According to the JTA interview, they are "weening" collectors of CW towards accepting 5-POA figure as the new status quo. It was actually funny to read Hasbro's story about angry parents complaining to them over "crappy" (read: super-articulated) figures that broke whenever their kids tried to play with them.

I guess that's going to be the standard for Movie Heroes as well, since Hasbro said that it is absolutely NOT being marketed as a collectors-focused line and never will be.

Trooper31
08-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Like JTA said, we just have to accpe that those lines are not meant for collectors. It's too bad for TCW fans and I'll be interested t know how sales do if the adult collectors leave the TCW line. I guess Hasbro sees real style TCW appealing to collectors, but a lot of those people like the animated style.

As for MH, I've accepted what it is a long time ago. I'm interested in the sandtrooper, but I won't lose any sleep hoping for it to turn into a GH line or repack of wanted collector-friendly figures.

K3PO
08-27-2012, 07:24 AM
I couldn't agree more. From what I have seen revealed at SDCC and Celebration VI, there are a grand total of five figures I will be purchasing from the first two waves to add to my loose collection. My carded collecting days are over, at least until the Vintage line comes back. If Hasbro doesn't manage to lose the license before that happens. These are dark days for Star Wars collectors, indeed.
This is how I exactly feel and agree with everything you said except one thing. I think I have Maybe 2-3 loose figures. :wtf:

GarvenDreis
08-27-2012, 07:54 AM
If by Collecting Habits you mean overall interest in the Brand?

Then yeah...

It's changing alright.

banistersmind
08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey guys,

I thought this was a good opportunity to jump back into the forums after a long, looooong time away.

I gotta say, I experienced collector fatigue about a year ago and I lost all my drive for collecting Star Wars. Reading thrpugh the posts here, I can identify with just about everyone who is experiencing the same or similar feelings towards the line as I have been. As seeing years of repaints, repacks and recards I felt that the line has reached its "peak oil" as it were. I haven't even been getting excited about the TCW line anymore. I'll occasionally flip through the pegs but I always pass on what is there.

The last figure I bought was around a year ago - it was a vintage Bespin Luke, from an eBayer that I picked up for a pretty decent price. I have toyed with the idea of trying to amass a complete set of loose vintage figures but I end up shelving the idea.

I find it kinda sad really.

Maybe I'm getting old an cynical. My love for the SW universe is not what it once was and I feel really bad about that because, ever since I was four years old, I have lived and loved it unashamedly. At 38 - with a six year old boy, who loves the universe - I should be loving the 'Wars the way I used to...but I just don't. And I really believe I can sheet it home to Hasbro. The figure line has just been...so underwhelming.

I want the love back. I really do. I just don't know quite how to go about it...

Dean from Australia.

Droidworld
08-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Hasbro and LFL screwed up, and now they are trying to salvage things, by going back to basics, and appealing only to the kids. Good luck with that. See you in a couple of years, when you start appealing to the kid in me again, with some seriously awesome collectible figures, instead of gimmicky, cheap crap.

I'll still keep my eye out the TVC figures I wanted, but Hasbro lost in some warehouse, and will pay premium for some Build-A-Droids and the occasional exclusive. but it looks like the next couple of years are not for me.

r2_jenn2
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
my collection habits started to changing about 3 years ago and thanks to the recession. at the same time in a ways i'm happy my habits changed. it allowed me to explore other options. i have to admit that i put more emphasis in my sideshow 1/6 scale and i recently i jumped into kotobukiya with the 1/10 droids series. hasbro just got tiring (& too space consuming)... with the same ol rehashes and to me not too much new product that interested me. the biggest kicker aside from all that was distribution. as of lately its so bad in my area. i went from all collecting carded figures >>>> collecting just the carded figures i liked >>>> and now i only buy ewoks and droids. that its for me and i'm content with it.

my newest headache is this disney build a droids!

bigbarada
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Maybe I'm getting old an cynical. My love for the SW universe is not what it once was and I feel really bad about that because, ever since I was four years old, I have lived and loved it unashamedly. At 38 - with a six year old boy, who loves the universe - I should be loving the 'Wars the way I used to...but I just don't. And I really believe I can sheet it home to Hasbro. The figure line has just been...so underwhelming.

I think that's the problem with Hasbro trying to cater to collectors. We're such a varied group that what excites one collector, bores another collector. I think the figure selection overall for TVC is the best that it's ever been. Gamorrean Guard (who is arguably one of the greatest figures in the history of action figures), Admiral Ackbar, 2 different version of Jedi Luke, Slave Leia, Skiff Guard Lando, Wicket, Logray, Kithaba, 2 Weequays, Wooof, Nikto, Wedge, Nein Nunb, Pruneface, Lumat, Dr. Evazan, Ponda Baba, Bom Vimdin, Emperor's Royal Guard, etc.

For a 39-year-old OT collector like me, 2010-2012 have been the some of the most exciting in my entire collecting lifetime. I'm thankful to Hasbro for what they've produced, especially now that we've learned how much they've had to sacrifice just to keep the collector-focused line from being cancelled in the last 5 years.

darthsatan
08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
my newest headache is this disney build a droids!

I hear that! B)

K3PO
08-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Hasbro and LFL screwed up, and now they are trying to salvage things, by going back to basics, and appealing only to the kids. Good luck with that. See you in a couple of years, when you start appealing to the kid in me again, with some seriously awesome collectible figures, instead of gimmicky, cheap crap.

I'll still keep my eye out the TVC figures I wanted, but Hasbro lost in some warehouse, and will pay premium for some Build-A-Droids and the occasional exclusive. but it looks like the next couple of years are not for me.

BRAVO!!!!!! B) I'm right with ya.

Masterfett
08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Seriously, I can count on one hand the amount of figures that have broken on me.
And I still have three fingers free.

Plus how many people are actually going to personally contact them to complain about to?
In today's age Americans are so lazy that they aren't going to take the time to contact Hasbro when they can just exchange it at the store.

bigbarada
08-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Seriously, I can count on one hand the amount of figures that have broken on me.

Plus how many people are actually going to personally contact them to complain about to?
In today's age Americans are so lazy that they aren't going to take the time to contact Hasbro when they can just exchange it at the store.

So, you just assuming that Hasbro is lying then? That kind of thing never ceases to amaze me. Rather than accept that our perception of things might be incorrect, it's just easier to assume that anyone who says anything that we disagree with must be lying and have some kind of ulterior motive. There's got to be some kind of psychological explanation for that kind of thinking.

Anyways, I've had a few figures break on me right out of the package. It seems like it's more of a problem with the non-Star Wars lines though, particularly GI Joes.

I'm pretty sure that Hasbro has plenty of parents calling in to their customer service line. There's no logical reason for them to lie about that. I actually called it a couple of times myself, back when the line first started and I didn't have internet access.

Droidworld
08-28-2012, 02:06 AM

I'm guessing they don't mean the figures "break" per se, they probably mean "break apart" (and parts go missing). The swivel parts on the über-articulated and accessorized figures in particular, are small, and pop apart easily. The ball joints are pretty solid, but the hands, feet, boots, heads, and some waists, do pull apart easily.

You once had to boil and pop, pry, and razor figures apart. Now they come apart quite easily.

And when figures with missing bits get returned, which in this economy, I'm sure they do, it does not go un-noticed.

Anyway, I'm the last person to defend Hasbro, and the first to call out their less than forthright "assertions", but less articulated figures, with fewer parts, are simply more kid friendly. Cheaper as well.

And hopefully parents and kids gobble up enough of this crap for the next year or two, to fund the making of a cantina alien or two.

bigbarada
08-28-2012, 02:34 AM
I bought a couple of figures with parts that literally broke when you first tried to twist them. It was a problem back in 2007 for a few different figures. I specifically remember it happening to me with the 4-LOM figure that came out that year, CZ-4, and the Salacious Crumb that came with C-3PO. Usually most of the joints on these figures need to be "broken in" after you first buy them, but 4-LOM's hand twisted right off the first time I tried to move it. The hand actually twisted right off of its peg so I had to glue the hand in place from that point on. The same thing happened to CZ-4's hand and Salacious Crumb's head.

Also, every single Vintage IG-88 that I purchased in 2007 broke just from trying to move the limbs. They used a softer plastic for the Saga Legends rerelease, so it wasn't as big of a deal.

Like I said, it happened to several of the 25th Anniversary GI Joes from that year as well.

Masterfett
08-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I never actually called them a liar Mr. Hasbro defender, I was simply stating the limited experiences by me and others I know that this is very rare.
So I felt that it could just be an excuse for them to return to limited articulation.

Because I can't believe it's that big of an epidemic, considering there's only been a handful of people on this entire website that complain about figures falling apart.

My apologies for being a little anti-Hasbro lately, considering the state of things.

darthsatan
08-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Don't apologise!
The only figure that has broken straight out of the package for me is the hand off a VOTC Yoda. That was more than enough to make me be careful ever since!

I shouldn't have to be. It isn't good enough.

AlrikFassbauer
08-29-2012, 05:03 AM
About breaking figures :

Hasbro expressed to us that we wouldn't believe the angry feedback they've received from angry parents asking them why they make such "crappy" figures. For example, Hasbro got a lot of flack over the clone trooper figures with swivel wrists. They kept breaking off when kids played with them. That is why wrist articulation has been removed from the figures. Kids also get frustrated when trying to place guns with their arms because shoulder and elbow articulation made it impossible for the arms to stay still to place the gun.

Source : Jedi Temple Archives News: Jedi Temple Archives: Hasbro Q And A - MORE Of Your Questions Answered! (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10434/#details)

GNT
08-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Hasbro should use better materials to begin with....

....and kids will be kids, if they break something then fix it with super glue!

DT_SnaggleYak
08-29-2012, 07:44 AM
i have never had a figure break on me. ever. sometimes the hands fall off, but i just stick em back in. of course i don't move the limbs or anything like that, either.

StarWarsMonsters
08-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I imagine a lot of the more articulated figures break, the way kids play with them. Most of us are probably not abusing them the way they would.

It seems like I've had a few break one me, but until just now i could only definitely recall one. Now two.

http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS/swevol_CT-STclonecommart-tn.jpg (http://www.rebelscum.com/rots05evol-troops1.asp)

This guy's arm broke on me right out of the package. And POTF2 Momaw Nadon's head finally came off after I continued to force it. :( That was my fault. It was stuck, and it irked me that I couldn't swivel one of his few joints, so I kept trying. Now it's glued and will never move. LOL

darthsatan
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
POTF2 Momaw Nadon's head finally came off ..........Now it's glued and will never move. LOL

You could move it to the trash....B)

GonkSeries
08-29-2012, 01:13 PM
That's the problem right there. older people letting little kids get their hands on action figures. Will you guys ever learn? Its not wise to let a little kid to play with your star wars figures. They end up losing the small accessories or they steal the accessories and they think they can get away with it.

Chamberlain
08-29-2012, 01:20 PM
I've never had a figure break, either.

Quirky_Circuit
08-30-2012, 03:23 PM
My habits remain the same; I'm a loose collector. I buy what I want, and only what I want. Most of my buying habits come from buying and reselling sealed, collectible toys on ebay that others are selling for cheap prices. I take the gain and spend it on my collection. So it all works out.

bigbarada
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
I never actually called them a liar Mr. Hasbro defender, I was simply stating the limited experiences by me and others I know that this is very rare.
So I felt that it could just be an excuse for them to return to limited articulation.

Because I can't believe it's that big of an epidemic, considering there's only been a handful of people on this entire website that complain about figures falling apart.

My apologies for being a little anti-Hasbro lately, considering the state of things.

You really believe that this website is an accurate cross-section of everyone who buys Star Wars toys? Last I checked, this site seemed to only cater to teenaged through adult collectors. How many people here actually play with their toys verses the ones who just buy them to put on shelves or don't even open them at all?

Besides, when I have a toy break, I rarely ever gripe about it on here. I simply return the toy to the store and get a replacement. However, if you are a parent and you have to listen to your child crying or griping about a broken toy, then that might anger you enough to make a phone call to Hasbro about it. It's highly unlikely that that parent is going to make an account on Rebelscum just to complain about it.

I think you might be overestimating just how much a website like Rebelscum matters in the overall scheme of things.

Rogue1969
08-30-2012, 05:18 PM
It sounds like we're all suffering from a little bit of burnout. Understandable since some of us have been collecting since the vintage days of 1977 and some since the modern era of 1995.

I think part of the problem is that there's 'nothing new'. Hasbro is already taking figures most of us were fine with (TAC Ceremony Luke and Biggs Darklighter), and re-doing them, leaving us thinking "It's only been 5 years, are these really due now? It's not like they're significant upgrades." I think the only real problem I heard people say about Luke was that he was too pale. They could have fixed that with a dye change to their plastic, not retool a whole new figure. The new clone pilots aren't much better than the evolutions one from 2005. And although all we asked them for was to re-release the VOTC Stormtrooper, they gave us an all-new mold with the TAC and Vintage versions, and people still prefer the VOTC one (generalization based on what I've read here).

I think Hasbro really hasn't figured out this line yet. Back in the day there was one main line (3 3/4" scale) and three sublines - Diecast, Micro Collection, and 12", none of which gained a real following and all were cancelled. Yet Hasbro keeps trying to pump out sub-lines - Fighter Pods, Jedi Force, Transformers, etc. All have had some success, but with the exception of Galactic Heroes, I don't think any ever really took off (I could make an arguement for Action Fleet, but that was a separate company and Hasbro killed that line because again, they didn't understand it). Back in the day, free figures were free with POPs, not 'free' with 'POPs and a check', and ALL figures were eventually available on a card for anyone to buy separately (blue Snaggletooth excepted). We had good ships AND playsets, and as a kid, I played with both (even the Land of Jawas and Ice PLanet Hoth 'backdrop' playsets until the Sandcrawler and AT-AT came along). And the idea of wasting time tooling another ship to make it smaller when you already have a perfectly good mold is just stupid. Those new ships will sit on the shelves. Maybe if the old ships were priced at a decent value, people wouldn't wait until the inevitable clearance to buy them.

I guess my point is Hasbro should drop the sub-lines, give us some play environments, and go back to carding figures so you only need to buy the ones you want. Put things in boxes and on Vintage-style cards and quit raising prices because of the cost of plastic, because there's at least an entire figures worth of plastic being wasted on window boxes. Upgrading figures is fine, but make sure it's necessary. We only got one Chewbacca and Vader in the entire vintage line and were fine with it.

Personally, I think hasbro is their own worst enemy.

AnthonyP
08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
My collecting habits haven't changed. I'm still a completist and purchase every 3.75" figure Hasbro releases. It's just too fun.

ThallJoben
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes, my collecting habits have changed, especially in the past year due to the difficulty of finding TVC. I'm one of those who has been collecting since POTF2's debut in '95, and am at the point where I need a break. Though I will continue looking this Fall for TVC figures (if they end up being available at retail), when the Legacy Collection hits in 2013 I plan on scaling back. I don't have a lot of interest in the figures shown, and don't really want to get them just to BAD.

That being said, if any cool OT & PT non-resculpts come out (other than what we know about), I will probably get those. And, of course, if any cool exclusives come out next year I'll get those as well.

yodaman1234
08-31-2012, 12:57 PM
My collecting has been dead for about 6 years.Prob bought less than 20 figures in that time. Crappy distribution , high prices, and terrible case assortments have guaranteed that I won't be buying again till they fix all these problems.

Droidworld
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I really don't understand those in here that say their habits haven't changed. They must live next door to a magically re-stocked mall, with a ToysRUs, Walmart, Target, and Comicland. And have a running tab at EE or BBTS.

I still keep track of the waves and single figures I want, but my hunt is now almost exclusively limited to BBTS and eBay now, where once, my collection was only supplemented online. Brick and Mortar is useless IMO.

I'm grateful that most of the figures I get online aren't cross-eyed with bad paint apps. But I really miss picking out my favorite out of at least six choices in the toy aisle. Remember those days?

Maynard
08-31-2012, 03:26 PM
This is a GREAT topic.

For me, they. Started to change right around ROTS time (or directly thereafter), but even more extremely so---now. I used to be a completist. At least in terms of having one of everything open. Once some ridiculous and (in my mind) totally unnecessary figures began to show (can anyone say Polis Massan or Yoda's sitting on Can-Cell). Things like hat began my non-completist-ism. Then, Over time I began to simply pass on things I deemed unnecessary to any of my dioramas etc. I didn't make it a point o collect all the BAD droids, nor have full collection of McQuarrie concept figures.

As time went along, and it became easier & easier to not feel the "need" to buy everything, collecting life became so much clearer and may I say A THOUSAND TIMES MORE FUN! Then the TCW collection hit and made it much easier to pass on not just a few figures here & there, but helped me flip my habits to almost being someone who only buys figures here & there(if thoroughly new and/or totally love it).

I loved & bought the majority of (new) TVC figs, passed on most TCW, and am probably going to pass on most this upcoming Legacy Collection.

Too many remakes/repaints/kit bashes/etc for me. Not worth 10 a piece by any stretch. So to answer the title of the thread: YES, my collecting habits are and HAVE changed for quite some time. Tied directly to what is being sold.

bigbarada
08-31-2012, 05:09 PM
But I really miss picking out my favorite out of at least six choices in the toy aisle. Remember those days?

Maybe during a movie year like 1999 or 2005, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect that kind of volume today. Star Wars is simply not as popular as it used to be.

Droidworld
08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Maybe during a movie year like 1999 or 2005, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect that kind of volume today. Star Wars is simply not as popular as it used to be.

Even in deepest darkest Canada, I had my pick of figures up until the first Legacy Collection in 2008. Canada only got half of those waves, so BBTS became the go to spot. Has been ever since.

And what is unreasonable about having fond memories about better days at brick and mortar?

Wishing_Well
08-31-2012, 09:29 PM
My habits have changed, I used to be heavily against Cantina dudes and Palace dudes, now I love 'em(palace ones more.)

Maynard
09-01-2012, 04:07 PM
My habits have changed, I used to be heavily against Cantina dudes and Palace dudes, now I love 'em(palace ones more.)
Interesting, sure..... But for some reason I'm thinking that that's not what the thread's title was after. Still though, I suppose a "change" is a "change". To each his own.

Scarrviper
09-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I suppose I've changed in that way as well. I used to avoid ewoks, now I've been buying them up ever since vintage collection wicket in december 2010.

MonkeyCrumb
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I spoke with Hasbro quite a bit at C6.

They were quite well informed (tired of?) all of the complaints regarding distribution issues. They were generally surprised at the lack of success of Episode I 3D related merchandise. I've been told that OT still widely outsells PT, yet they were honestly "surprised" at TPM's failure to move merchandise?? All fault was placed on Lucasfilm for failing to really advertise for TPM3D. Nobody bothered to address that the movie is widely considered the worst of all 6! Not to mention, original TPM figures are still available dirt cheap on ebay for the kiddies who might become new fans. But they have "learned from their mistakes" and they will not be a pure focus on AOTC next year. Not to say it'll be ignored, but it's not the primary focus.

Everyone kept telling me "Wait until you see what we've got coming up at the next Toy Fair" with *great* enthusiasm! If Hasbro does NOT blow me out of the water next Toy Fair with their offerings, based on all of their enthusiasm, then I'm pretty much done.

Also, I was told they were planning on another round of thinning the pegs - Hasbro plans on going to stores and removing the backed up product as they have done in the past. I can't wait! The sooner the better!

Now, as for the original topic question, my collecting has plummeted. I was a completeist. Now I will never be one again because of Hasbro.
I cannot find what I want at retail. I refuse to buy every case assortment. Ponda Boba and the Hoth Rebel Technician (which I really wanted to army build!) were available as the ONLY two new figures in a case full of repacks (actually, I think there was one more EU figure, but I gave up on those alltogether). It's bad enough when there is only one of each figure in a case, but when the majority of a case is repacked with only 2 or 3 new figures? FAIL!!!

Now, the final wave that's going to E-tail only? FAIL!! I refuse to be forced to buy by the case. There are several repacks in that case that I already bought (EPI from WalMart). I don't want "realistic" Clone Wars figures (I want them animated!) I only want the ROTJ figures, and I refuse to pay the markup on these. I had given up completely on these until I found pre-orders at Amazon. IF these don't come through, then I will be severely upset. I gave up on EU (even though I had *everything* released up to and including that Jaina/Jacen Solo wave) because I could no longer find them at retail. I refuse to pay $50+ from some scalper for a one-per-case figure. I wanted the Jar-Jar in Carbonite, but I refuse to pay the price they want for a bunch of rehashed figures and some fancy packaging I'm going to end up throwing away anyway!

HASBRO has destroyed my ability to be a completeist. I am not alone in this sentiment. They will *NEVER* win me back as a completeist. I will support the line because I love it. BUT if I miss out on the E-Tail exclusive ROTJ figures *at a fair price*, then I will stop buying even further. I love Star Wars. But the more Hasbro MAKES me miss out on, the more I see what else I can live without. I don't care about packaging. I open everything.

But, Hasbro is functionally retarded if they want to whine about things like Movie Heroes outselling Vintage, when they pull crap like having a Sandtrooper on a Vintage card and one gun for $1 MORE than a Sandtrooper on Movie Heroes (or whatever it was called at the time) card with a locker FULL of more guns and a stand!! What do YOU expect would sell better??? Hey, genius, the cheaper price is going to outsell with the kids every time! Maybe you shouldn't be charging MORE for LESS product!

Wishing_Well
09-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Interesting, sure..... But for some reason I'm thinking that that's not what the thread's title was after. Still though, I suppose a "change" is a "change". To each his own.

I'm pretty sure my post fits in here perfectly...

DarkArtist
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
my habits are changing on a constant basis... everything with me lately is about do I have the cash in my pocket to get this (as I am trying to get rid of using my credit cards) plus just daily expenses like taking care of the twins etc, new car payments, mortgage taxes etc... nowadays unless i truly feel the figure is warranted/ needed and looks amazing then it becomes a pass. plus i have sorta given p on the hunt for new figures and mainly buy just cases

Maverick10126
09-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I had recently got back into collecting (recently as in maybe around 09) after stopping in 05. My collecting habits had been ramping back up for a while. I was trying to track down each figure they put out because they all seemed like quality figures. The Vintage Ep I line really killed it for me though. I lost most of my enthusiasm for the hobby and have decided to take a different approach for the future of my collecting. "I'm only going to have the figures in my collection that I really want." It seems almost too obvious to state that this is my plan for the future, but I've noticed collecting can become somewhat of an obsessive compulsive habit. So, by only getting the figures that I really want I'll be cleaning out my collection. I'm getting rid of all the minor variations of the same characters and just keeping the version I like the best. I am allowing myself to keep some of the POTF2 figures because some of them hold a very weird sentimental value to me. For instance I'll always keep the original 8 POTF2 figures because those things were so hard to find back in the day and I somehow managed to get all of them for Christmas of 95. Too good of a memory. But outside of that version and my favorite version, you wont be seeing me with 20 tatooine Luke figures. It's time for me to streamline and make "smart" purchasing choices. So when a new figure hits retail, it's going to have to be pretty damn cool for me to pay full retail price. I'm going to be looking for sales for the figures that I want. I'll also be trolling ebay and the classifieds for figures that I'd like to have in my collection but either missed or weren't willing to overpay for. If there's nothing going on that interests me, I'll work on army building on the cheap. My overall habits will be changing into casual collector and occasional customizer. It's going to be a lot cheaper and a lot more enjoyable.

Trooper31
09-03-2012, 05:43 AM
I spoke with Hasbro quite a bit at C6.

They were quite well informed (tired of?) all of the complaints regarding distribution issues. They were generally surprised at the lack of success of Episode I 3D related merchandise. I've been told that OT still widely outsells PT, yet they were honestly "surprised" at TPM's failure to move merchandise?? All fault was placed on Lucasfilm for failing to really advertise for TPM3D. Nobody bothered to address that the movie is widely considered the worst of all 6! Not to mention, original TPM figures are still available dirt cheap on ebay for the kiddies who might become new fans. But they have "learned from their mistakes" and they will not be a pure focus on AOTC next year. Not to say it'll be ignored, but it's not the primary focus.

Everyone kept telling me "Wait until you see what we've got coming up at the next Toy Fair" with *great* enthusiasm! If Hasbro does NOT blow me out of the water next Toy Fair with their offerings, based on all of their enthusiasm, then I'm pretty much done.

!

Thanks for the interesting insights from CVI.

I think the TF comment is the one that's really been wearing every collector down over the past few years. They always tell us to wait for the big wow at the next show and there never seems to be any wow except for "wait til the next show, we've got some great stuff lined-up."

Besides distribution, Hasbro isn't offering a whole lot of interesting stuff and the stuff that is new always come with the caveat that in a year or two, they might give us an even better version of that same figure (see Jedi Luke from 2004-2011).

homer_sapien
09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Plus why bother getting excited over some new con reveal since even if they do reveal something great in all likely hood its going to either be changed in someway so that its not nearly as nice as what was shown, bumped until the following year, or just cancelled outright. Then even if none of that happens and it actually is produced as shown it can't be found at retail anyway.

Trooper31
09-04-2012, 05:43 AM
The delays really bothered me in 2011/2012. The Evazan wave was pushed back for no apparent reason and had they been able to get the Deleted scene figures into the case with Ponda Baba, we could have had one less case with TPM carry forwards this year. That might have helped the line more.

Kobayashi
09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Looks like my collecting habits have gone from “mehwhatever” to “I think I’ll sell my entire collection now, use that money to buy other things and maybe in the future as the line is coming to an end, restart my SW collecting if I see that it is worth it.” After all, I remember having a great success collecting the Simpsons figures when that line ended and second market prices were down.

It just hasn’t been very fun lately and I’d rather have cash for other things. Maybe I’ll restart collecting, maybe I won’t. I’d just have to see what is available (quality and selection-wise), if my interest is still there, if collecting isn’t such a time/money expenditure as it is right now. Though I may still keep up with the latest Hasbro news, see where the line is going. Maybe even give my $0.02 as long as I’m not flaming.

But right now, I think this is the best decision for me. Certainly financially. But maybe I’ll back in a few years as long as starting from scratch works out.

Trooper31
09-10-2012, 01:17 AM
I'd suggest making a list of things from the films that you actually like. Then go through your collection and put those things off to the side to keep. Then, go through the rest and ask yourself if you can ever see yourself setting certain things up for display or playing with your kids. If yes, then put that on the keep pile. If no, then find a way to get rid of it.

I think if you get rid of it now and then buy it back later, you'll really be doing yourself a disservice. Prices won't necessarily be bad, but if you've got something now, why take the time later to rebuy it?

As for me, I'm getting more and more to the point where I've got a lot of the bigger things that I want. I don't see Hasbro making playsets, but if they do, I'd be interested. As for big ships, I'm only really interested in getting a Slave I because I don't see Hasbro doing much more in the big ship category. So, that leaves me with basic figures. 2013 looks rather bleak, so we'll see how that goes. I don't plan on walking away any time soon, but a slow down once in a while helps me to focus on what's important to my collection.

Kobayashi
09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Too late! I've already sold like 30 figures (which was a pretty big chunk of it, my collection was verrrry select).

I can definitely see the unlogic to my plan especially if I have it in the back of my mind that I would ever want to collect again. But I don't think I'll know for sure until the line is near its end and I have a better idea of what I want once everything has been resculpted, rereleased, repainted, see how the quality, selection, distribution is. See if there is enough that would make collecting easy and enjoyable again. But for me, I don't know what the line will be like in the future so I'd rather have the money/space for other things today than bet Hasbro SW collecting will be less of a headache tomorrow.

Maybe I'll take a money loss by doing this, but so be it. Folly of youth as it were.

Kobayashi
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Though infinite money and infinite space would make things a lot easier. :weeabooface:

Trooper31
09-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Actually, your plan is not a bad one. First off, you might get more money now for stuff that you can buy for less later. However, the most important thing in you plan, is waiting for all the resculpting/quality to be finished. This is one thing that kills me. We get a great figure, then a year or two later Hasbro improves the figure, then a few years later, there's another update. It becomes maddening.

If you stick with your plan, then you can really wait to get the best of the best and probably end up spending a lot less money than most of us.

Law
09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
For the first time in many years, they are. I have been collecting since 1989 or so, and I was on board with the SW reboot in 95 the minute I was able to (finally) find the first 9 figures. During the POTJ years, when retailers were more interested in clearancing out TPM product and, for that matter, started jumping ship on the line altogether (I remember seeing POTF2 A-wings, Vader TIE's, and Skyhoppers for $5-10) it became frustrating to find anything new, and finding nothing was at least preferable to finding stuff you already had for much less than you paid for it.

Around that time I started scaling back. I remember passing on TRU battle packs in the first Saga line, the ones that had astromechs as the lone new figure (one was a Hoth set that had the TaunTaun with guts, the other a Death Star set). "$20 for just one new figure and the rest is stuff I have? PASS!" And later, I regretted that and tracked them down because, @!$#@@, there were astromechs I didn't own.

So since the first Saga line, around 2003 or so, or at least since the ROTS line in 2005, I've been a total completist on this line. I haven't insisted on getting every minor variation, but I'm what you could call a "Pre-order completist" or a "BBTS completist." I would order whole waves to be sure I would get everything new, and I wouldn't pick and choose amongst clone variations or EU characters -- if it came out, I got it, rather than stress about missing something I'd want later.

But lately the ratio of "core OT stuff, the stuff I care most about, the stuff that started it all" to "random fluff to fill out the line" has started to skew too much for me. The mini-rigs are neat, but would I REALLY be kicking myself in five years if there were some I didn't own? Or the EU figs? Recently I (finally) found that Republic cruiser mini-rig, the one that originally was supposed to have a red and yellow Republic Shuttle deco and come with Obi-Wan but ended up blue and white and came with Anakin. I'd been wanting that since the original version was shown, but when it finally appeared at my local Target, I decided "You know what? I don't really care." Passed on a SW product for the 3 3/4" line for the first time in at least seven years.

I'm thinking that may start a trend. I'll still pre-order whole waves, and that will make me more of a completist than some, but I probably will pass on more and more random, not-quite-what-I-care-about stuff. That Mandalorian Troop Ship that Hasbro seems determined not to release? (yeah, yeah, I know it's technically the retailers who don't distinguish between SKU#'s, but ultimately, Hasbro could have offered that, the Naboo fighter, and at least something else to make this happen, or just assigned a different damn SKU, it's not rocket science) I may just decide I don't really need it, after all. The longer I go without it, without missing it or feeling a hole in my collection, the easier it is to decide I don't need to track one down.

I'm really shocked. The "mismanagement" of the line has been a popular topic since 1995, when 3PO and Leia were delayed, and in 1999 there were miscalculations on an epic scale, but for the first time I'm actually finding myself ready to scale back specifically because Hasbro has dropped the ball so badly. This isn't just "the movie didn't do as well as we expected" or "retailers accidentally over-ordered." This isn't even "just because you don't like a product doesn't mean it was a bad move for Hasbro to release it." This is "Hasbro put out two identical Qui-Gon figures and expected us to pay more for one" and "Hasbro and Target both somehow failed to notice that two exclusive TaunTauns were available at different prices at the same time." This is just getting it wrong.

Droidworld
09-11-2012, 05:16 PM
To me, this thread is the answer to, or equivalent of, The Vintage Distribution thread in TVC section. All the mistakes made, and blame laid (not on collectors for once!) in The Vintage Collection period, has come home to roost.

This is a very timely thread, for many of us long term, disillusioned collectors who are re-thinking their priorities while Hasbro re-groups for a re-hash filled 2013. Hasbro now wants to save the line financially, which is great. But have they already killed it spiritually?

Is two years too long to wait for a proper ROTJ Emperor? Ultimate Jawa? All new Hammerhead and Lobot? A perfect ESB Yoda?

I'm not sure how I will feel in 2014.....which really means 2015 IMO.

_Darren_
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
You know.....I remember being genuinely excited about upcoming new product and even being one of those "gotta have it first!!!!" jerks that paid over the odds to have it early!!lol....

I guess that even if Hasbro hadn't spectacularly dropped the ball,the interest may have been on the wane.....however...I would still pay good money for Vintage style packaging,ultimate versions of ALL the original 93,main Prequel characters,a boxed Rebo band and selected undone(Uncle Owen,Wuher,General Dodonna,Garindan)overlooked OT characters.

And as many of the Vintage styled packaged vehicles,new 2-packs and 3-packs they can muster as well as the much anticipated Sail Barge(if it ever is produced!!) would all be must-buys for me....

However,now with Vintage on hiatus and really tiresome product on tap for the next 24 months,I find myself frightfully uninspired,to the point of ditching Modern until it reappears with a fresh impetus....

Bored,dull and tired...3 things a hobby SHOULDNT make you feel.....

See ya in 2014/15......whatever.....maybe???!!!

Darren

DarthJefe
09-11-2012, 09:07 PM
I'll stick to the main line and only pick up other items if they represent a new character, which is what i did for CW. I don't do vehicles (but I do LEGO, which is a far better-handled line with no distribution issues.). I'll only deviate for a truly cool item (i.e. I'll probably get the TRU speeder bike eventually.). I actually like most of what's in the first two waves.

roto2
09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
im not really a huge collector cause i only buy those figures that are worth for me like in vintage collection: Starkiller, Sandrooper Orange Pauldron, Malgus, Republic Trooper.... the rest of the figures arent just as exciting/well made as these are

Trooper31
09-17-2012, 04:27 AM
I guess I'm really going to take more time thinking about my purchases. Too often, I buy figures impulsively, thinking I can use them for something, somewhere down the line or forgetting how many of a certain trooper I already have.

I am planning on buying more sandtroopers from Wave 1 than I normally would, though.

GNT
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I am planning on buying more sandtroopers from Wave 1 than I normally would, though.

Don't forget to buy the Movie Heroes version as well ;)

Masterfett
09-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I guess I'm really going to take more time thinking about my purchases. Too often, I buy figures impulsively, thinking I can use them for something, somewhere down the line or forgetting how many of a certain trooper I already have.
I feel ya on that one, I do that quite often.

Wishing_Well
09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I am officially done buying more than 1 figure.

My star wars collecting is nearing the end again, although this time I wont sell my stuff.

Trooper31
09-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Don't forget to buy the Movie Heroes version as well ;)

I'm planning on picking one of those up as well.

palps45895
09-21-2012, 08:41 AM
To date, I've managed to get one of every 3-3/4" figure, loose or otherwise... I had kind of decided to go with only "new" characters after the last BAD line, but the vintage cards got me on another collect them all kick even though most of the characters were re-visits...

With the unimpressive first two BAD waves announced for next spring, I have to admit I'm serious considering going only "new" character from there out... yeah, I'll get the BAD droids themselves, I'm very excited about Dooku's droid, etc... but I just can't see myself buying more Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Sandtrooper new accessory, etc... I'm out of room and how many can I have? lol

So, like I said, with the end of vintage, I'm going to go to a only "new" character policy from 2013 out.

DarkArtist
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
as with anything in life eventually the all mighty dollar will dictate what you can and can't do. for me my collecting habits are going to be seriously scaled back do to various factors that I have to take into account.

1.) Family - now that i'm a father of twins the money is getting tighter and tighter and harder to justify spending $20.00 on 2 SW action figures when that same $20.00 buys 20 jars of baby food, or a pack of diapers or puts gas in the family minivan

2.) Interest - every year Hasbro and variouos companies produce many movie/TV show tie in products to entice the fans to spend their hard earned paycheck on dozens of incarnations of Vader or other mainstream characters.... most of us like fools... buy these figures thinking that it's the best we'll get and soon (usually a year or less after the original is released) the company releases yet again another Vader or Fett that blows away the figure we just got less then a year ago. so like fools once again we buy that one and the cycle continues for years to come. Currently looking at my collection I have every Darth vader figure that has been released since the Kenner version in '78. I think I'm good in the Vader department at the moment. starting with 2013 I'll be in a serious nit pick mode with only getting those figures that I actually want. As much as I love the BAD concept and want all the droids from the series I'll be cutting back on those. perhaps if there is a CVII and Hasbro brings back the BAD Swap I'll be able to bring in my doubles and swap them out for parts to complete the droids... if not so be it. As much as I would love to have a place like Sansweet or even be able to say that I have 1 of every figure that both Hasbro and Kenner ever released.... money is money and family must always come before small plactic toys.

3.) Lego is getting WAY TOO EXPENSIVE..... while more and more sets are being released and look awesome I can't justify dropping $55.00 for a TIE Fighter with 2 minifigures etc. and forget about the larger sets.

4.) Video Games I find that I just don't have the time or patience to devote to playing them anymore. I have both a Wii and PS3 and I can't honestly remember when was the last time I used either to play a video game.

5.) Convention exclusives - this is a topic that drives me crazy. Company put out awesome stuff to be sold at SDCC, NYCC and various other conventions that they know will sell out in minutes, charge HUGE $$$$ for the exclusive knowing that frustrated fans will drop the cash yet time and time again state that these exclusives will not sell in stores. I would have loved to get a few of the SDCC exclusives from both last year and this year in the G.I. Joe series as well as the carded SDCC Carbonite Jar Jar but I don't have the cash to travel to SDCC and then the figures are usually sold out within minutes on the websites.

6.) I need to cut back on everything.... currently I collect Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Lego, Marvel Figures, DC Figures, Matty Ghostbusters etc.... there is way too much $$ escaping my pockets and too little space to store everything.

7.) I look at my bills every month and wonder where does all the $$ go. between ulitiles, mortgage, gas, taxes, food, clothes, credit cards and other bills.... the little cash I get to hopefully sock away for a rainy day disaapears and gets put towards something else. It's time for a change with me.

basically this rant I typed out is stating that YES my collecting habits are changing... some for the bets reasons (MY KIDS) others because I just can't justify spending $400 on plastic figures a year. while I'm not stating that everyone should agree or disagree it's just my 2 cents that I'm looking to scale back almost 75% of what I collect and hopefully be able to still be in the game a bit just not as much

elanmars
09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
I guess it helps that here in Louisiana, the episode 1 figures have become major pegwarmers, to the point that any new figures stores get around here, it's usually just one box and I just see the remains, like a clone trooper here, jar jar there, etc. The $9.99 price is also a bit ridiculous-even worse at my local comic shop, they've jacked up the price to $14.99 and while they get all the figures I'd like, there's no way I can justify that. So for now, I'll just search on ebay for loose, complete figures that I'd like, which tend to be any droid, Cantina character, Jabba's palace denizen or anyone I can place in an Endor battle scene (Ewoks, troopers). I also plan to eventually build a Kashyyyk battle diorama but it's not like much is released from those scenes. I'm more of an OT guy anyway.

DarkArtist
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
I guess it helps that here in Louisiana, the episode 1 figures have become major pegwarmers, to the point that any new figures stores get around here, it's usually just one box and I just see the remains, like a clone trooper here, jar jar there, etc. The $9.99 price is also a bit ridiculous-even worse at my local comic shop, they've jacked up the price to $14.99 and while they get all the figures I'd like, there's no way I can justify that. So for now, I'll just search on ebay for loose, complete figures that I'd like, which tend to be any droid, Cantina character, Jabba's palace denizen or anyone I can place in an Endor battle scene (Ewoks, troopers). I also plan to eventually build a Kashyyyk battle diorama but it's not like much is released from those scenes. I'm more of an OT guy anyway.

EPI figures are still warming the pegs here in Jersey. I gotten into the habit of ordering cases to ensure getting all the figures I want. not sure if this is going to be the way with the BAD line though.

elanmars
09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah it really seems like ordering cases is the way to go. I just didn't want to deal with buying a case for a figure or two and then having to sell the rest.

DarkArtist
09-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah it really seems like ordering cases is the way to go. I just didn't want to deal with buying a case for a figure or two and then having to sell the rest.

You can always keep them for trading on Scum or offload them at comic book stores

Wishing_Well
09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Looks like I'm going on a hiatus for collecting, possibly permanent.

The hobby ran its course and now other things interest me. So long and good night!

Droidworld
09-22-2012, 07:38 PM

You can always keep them for trading on Scum or offload them at comic book stores

When there are only one or two good, new, or even vaguely interesting figures per case, like the first two waves of Legacy 2013, it just does not seem worth the hassle. Like this hobby has become, due to Hasbro's last few years of poor case assortments and distribution; not worth the hassle.

fumetti
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Major changes since 1995....

1. Focus on OT. (Just can't afford to fully pursue both OT and PT.)
2. MOC is limited to key vintage cardback OT figures.
3. Limited "army building." Since so many great AB figs get re-released with slight mods, there's no reason to go all-out on any particular release.
4. I don't buy multiple vehicles. Again, because of updated re-releases (particularly cockpit updates), I only buy one of anything now.

5. My modern collection has turned into a "vintage" collection. With all the great vintage packaging, my new shelves now look alot like my 70s/80s vintage shelves. I'll buy just about anything with vintage packaging, even if it's a re-release. I would keep on doing this forever. Too bad "vintage" is taking a hiatus.

6. Because of godawful distribution, I do most buying online now. I hate the extra expense, but I'm burning up too much gas trying to find a store with something new on the pegs (and my range of stores covers over 100 miles in diameter).

7. Biggest change is that I put the 1995-2000 (non-superarticulated) figures aside. That whole era is now moot in my mind. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have bought anything beyond the initial 1995 release, and waited until the VOTC line started. I really don't like any of that period anymore (with a few exceptions).

Caas_Sandhri
09-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Not really "changing" but then, I skip anything that is of no interest to me already. So, what I buy depends on whether I like what is offered; despite the huge amount of stuff I usually end up buying, I've never been a completist, or felt any need to buy variants, or figures for their packaging.

I find the 2013 waves (Legacy Rehashed) disappointing. Knowing myself, I will end up buying them for the few good figures and the BADs, and because there is nothing better on the shelves - I don't collect other Hasbro lines or other manufacturers - but I can't get excited about them, and I wouldn't really miss them if they hadn't been produced.

I will skip almost all of the rescaled 20$ vehicles, and if these are an indication of what awaits us for the rest of the year, I can't see myself buying more vehicles at all. Since I skipped the majority of mini-rigs this year already, that probably doesn't make a difference, so I can't claim my collecting habits are changing.

Just waiting what they'll offer in big ships (Slave 1 and above) next year, and what kind of hard-to-get exclusives they will pull out of their hat. I predict a cheap year, and I wouldn't even mind.

palps45895
09-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm hopeful with the back to back 3D movie releases in fall and around holidays, we might see some interesting and new figures from AOTC and ROTS... perhaps, rumored by Stan, Cliegg Lars and Queen Jamilla... a couple unproduced Padme's, well at least one I would hope... Maybe a few other unproduced figures like the birthing droids and Cin Drallig and Rickshaw Droid finally... and maybe Stan's rumored Lava Flea... That would be the perfect time for a Nute and Rune release, too, perhaps in ROTS robes this time.

Turbowars
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Kind of sorry to say but I have stopped collecting Hasbro 99.99% 2 years ago. I still like the retro OT packaged ships. Hasbro has lost it and since you cant walk into a store and buy their product they are as good as dead to me. Have fun guys.

GAdmiralThrawn
09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
The $ doesn't go as far as it used to so, yeah my collecting habits are changing.

Trooper31
10-01-2012, 08:44 AM
When there are only one or two good, new, or even vaguely interesting figures per case, like the first two waves of Legacy 2013, it just does not seem worth the hassle. Like this hobby has become, due to Hasbro's last few years of poor case assortments and distribution; not worth the hassle.

This is a big part of the problem. The case assortments are no longer attractive enough to really be able to unload what you don't want.

Fummetti's list is a really good one. I guess the good thing of knowing there sn't a lot of good stuff coming in the first part of the 2013, is that we can maybe start to prioritize what's actually important to our collection.

Krayt
10-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I might actually switch to Lego among other things

VintijDroidGutzz
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm selling LOTS of stuff.

Just keeping the essentials for focused, kick*****$ movie displays - plus my MOC Mcquarrie figures.

Till the vintage inspired line returns - I'll be on the bench.

VintijDroidGutzz
10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
The word censor here is farked.

Wishing_Well
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Yay! I'm finally off of my minor sw figure addiction. I'm selling my doubles only and that's it. Glad I didn't buy that new scout trooper and at st.

Wishing_Well
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Forgot to add, no more SW for me unless they release some kind of incredible comic pack line.

Trooper31
10-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm selling LOTS of stuff.

Just keeping the essentials for focused, kick*****$ movie displays - plus my MOC Mcquarrie figures.

Till the vintage inspired line returns - I'll be on the bench.

This is probably what we should all be doing. Finding what we really want in our collection and getting rid of what we don't want and hopefully being able not to buy this stuff again when it gets repacked by Hasbro.

GAdmiralThrawn
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I'll take any storm troopers or clone troopers that no one wants any more. :grin:

roto2
10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll take any storm troopers or clone troopers that no one wants any more. :grin:

orly? send me and mp cause i want to get rid of some of them (some still carded and some loose)

BrettX209
10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm one of those chumps that bought every figure, since it was on "vintage" packaging. Doubles of any figure I wanted to open. So when they take that away, I'm no longer going to be picking up every figure. Beyond that, as the line goes on, I'm more and more picky about what I pick up. Between the increased price ($10 a figure adds up fairly quickly) and the reduced amount of space I have as my collection grows and grows, I continue to become pickier about what I get. OT, any significant upgrades or new characters, I will most likely pick up. PT - has to be something pretty good. A significant upgrade to a core character or an interesting new character (like Rum Sleg, new podracer) then I'll probably grab it. Background characters, old lady librarians, just not too exciting for me.

VintijDroidGutzz
10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
It feels SO good to purge the clutter..

It's interesting - I toyed with the idea of focus collections, i.e; a Vader one, Fett - etc. I ended up with random bits & pieces, & no real use for them. Random figures purged.

One off things that look cool in package - good idea at the time, but of no real use. Purged.

Collections become mausoleums in no time if you let them get away from you. The trick is to only buy what you'll get the most practical enjoyment from, & collecting becomes a pleasure, not a gauntlet run.

Pairing down things to the absolute essentials, keeps things fresh, & manageable - great way to go. :)

Michael_Knight
10-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Congrats VintijDroidGutzz. I feel strongly that grooming a collection is what makes it remain fun.

Waggy
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Couldn't agree more. Dwindling funds + increasing price of figures/vehicles = being more selective with what you buy.

Trooper31
10-04-2012, 03:10 AM
I agree as well. I've just started going through my stuff so I can make my own purge as well. I've got way too much stuff as it is and really need to get a handle on my collection. In the last 6 years or so, I've gone nuts on things because I was always afraid we wouldn't see certain figures for a long time, so I made sure to pick up a couple or more with troop builders only to see better versions end up coming along.

wookiebear89
10-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I live in a smaller house with no room for displaying anything. Anything I pick up now gets looked at for a few minutes and then stored in my garage. It's made me really slow down my collecting habits and I only go for the something that hasn't been done before. $10+ for one single figure does not help the cause either.

GNT
10-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I think I'm going to purge all the older versions of existing figures that have since been redone with SA. Probably have a whole box of Darth Vader figures :p

Krayt
10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I think I'm going to purge all the older versions of existing figures that have since been redone with SA. Probably have a whole box of Darth Vader figures :p

Did this awhile ago except for the Vader figures which I try to keep one version of each type of Vader.
No sense having and old and a new version of most of the figures, just try and keep around the best looking ones (which usually are the new ones)

deskvader1
10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I collect only what I want and try to stick with one line..ie TCW. SO far it's made the hobby affordable and fun. I also try to collect purposeful as in if I decide to write stories surrounding the characters or doing dioramas.

StarWarsMonsters
10-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Ever closer to never looking back... So fatigued....

I think I'll be listing some things for sale real soon.

DarthJefe
10-09-2012, 10:29 PM

That's what I've done. I had a bunch of Evo Vaders and VOTC Vaders that were included in other packs.