PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Etc.

DarthCitrix
04-22-2012, 01:59 AM
A thread dedicated to any and all info related to home theater.

Here's a good link about home theater placement. Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide (http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html)

MrPickles
04-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Good idea for a thread.

DarthCitrix
05-16-2012, 01:34 AM
This transparent HDTV is straight out of the future, and could soon appear in your living room | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/transparent-hdtv-straight-future-could-soon-appear-living-191148205.html)

I don't think it's something that will be replacing my LED anytime soon but it looks pretty cool.

Gambit
05-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I was just reading about that. Kinda cool but nothing I would ever want.

Ian_C
05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
The age old question:

LCD vs Plasma vs LED (http://www.tecca.com/columns/lcd-plasma-led-tv/)

I myself have a 60" in my basement, where I can control the light to be near black even midday. Therefore, in my situation, plasma is best. It consumes more energy (and gives off a ton of heat), but gives a better picture, true blacks, and way more contrast than an equal size LCD ever could. It helps that mine is ultra high end - you're not going to find my model at the local Best Buy. ;)

By contrast, my computer monitor is a 27" LCD. It's in my living room, and exposed to bright light all day long. The only thing I really don't like about the LCD is that if I'm playing a movie, you have to be right in front of the screen. An angle too high, low, or from the side causes it almost to look like a film negative.

Ian

MusicalJedi
05-16-2012, 07:01 AM
I will watch this thread with great interest. I currently have a 46" Samsung LCD, but my family and I are hoping to move into a bigger home this summer, and are hoping to turn the basement into a theater room and space for my collection.

DarthCitrix
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I will watch this thread with great interest. I currently have a 46" Samsung LCD, but my family and I are hoping to move into a bigger home this summer, and are hoping to turn the basement into a theater room and space for my collection.

LED prices have fallen dramatically, probably due to the recession and a glut in the market. I think you can find a 60" for under $2000 these days.

deathstar1000
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I got my Sharp 70" LED for $2k last Black Friday.

ColoradoCollectr
05-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I got my Sharp 70" LED for $2k last Black Friday.
we just put one on the tv wall at work there big! $500 over what you paid though.

pohatu771
05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Target has 60" for $1500 and 70" for $2500. They will be in next week's ad.

MrPickles
05-18-2012, 02:08 AM
A 70" LED sounds amazing...

JustinH
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Imagine an HD image that can be up to the size of an entire wall in your house. That's why I will always be an advocate for projectors! Once you own one you will never care about a TV again

DarthCitrix
03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
For the TV pros, is there any noticeable difference between a 120hz and 240hz refresh rate? They've been promoting 240hz for sports and movies with lots of fx, but a salesman told me you don't really need anything above 120hz.

ihnken33
03-21-2013, 01:05 AM
My wife saw a 90 inch at a local store in Omaha, she said I could get it when I start building my home theater. AWESOME!!! But I doubt I'm going to spend 10K on a tv though.

Coz
03-21-2013, 01:33 AM
For the TV pros, is there any noticeable difference between a 120hz and 240hz refresh rate? They've been promoting 240hz for sports and movies with lots of fx, but a salesman told me you don't really need anything above 120hz.

I think the salesman is correct. Here's a good article. TV Refresh Rate Explained: 60Hz vs. 120Hz, 240Hz, and Beyond | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp)

DarthCitrix
03-21-2013, 01:48 AM
I think the salesman is correct. Here's a good article. TV Refresh Rate Explained: 60Hz vs. 120Hz, 240Hz, and Beyond | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp)

Great article, thanks Coz.

MrPickles
03-24-2013, 01:43 AM
My wife saw a 90 inch at a local store in Omaha, she said I could get it when I start building my home theater. AWESOME!!! But I doubt I'm going to spend 10K on a tv though.
At that size you might as well go the projection route, as long as you can control the brightness in the room.
Just finishing setting up a theatre system in my parents basement. They got cold feet about a projector though, concerned about the amount of light in the room, so steered them into the Sharp LC-80LE844U 80-inch 3D LED/LCD TV. Can't wait to go watch either the Avengers or The Hobbit over there once everything's installed.

Btw, "Go Creighton!"

ihnken33
03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
At that size you might as well go the projection route, as long as you can control the brightness in the room.
Just finishing setting up a theatre system in my parents basement. They got cold feet about a projector though, concerned about the amount of light in the room, so steered them into the Sharp LC-80LE844U 80-inch 3D LED/LCD TV. Can't wait to go watch either the Avengers or The Hobbit over there once everything's installed.

Btw, "Go Creighton!"

If I could afford it, I would concider the 90 inch TV because a projector in my theater room doesn't make sense. I can't get the projector far enough to project a large enough picture on the wall. I think the wall distance in my theater room is only 10 feet apart. So it's not that big. A projector doesn't make sense in that scenerio. A TV, the bigger the better, does.

But all this is hypothetical. I can't afford such luxuries. I'll probably end up with a 55 or 60, which is big enough in that small room. I'm more thinking about surround sound and what that's going to do in such a small area.

DarthCitrix
11-24-2013, 02:22 AM
What universal remote do you guys use? I know Logitech seems to be the popular brand but even they've got lots of models in their lineup.

deathstar1000
11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I have the Harmony 890. I haven't used it in a long time since I've gotten new equipment and haven't set it up.

deathstar1000
11-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Just got me a 39" LED TV at Best Buy today for $169! That's going to replace my 24" computer monitor. o-o

Also, I got a 55" LG LED TV for a coworker for $499 at Best Buy. She already paid me but I get the reward points.

pohatu771
11-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Do you use that computer primarily for watching movies? I have 1440p at 27", I wouldn't want to go back to 1080p unless it was small.

deathstar1000
11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Not at all. Once in a blue moon I watch a TV show if I forget to DVR something. But even then, I have my system wirelessly connected to my TV now.

I'm mostly doing it to play SWTOR at my desk without having to drag cables for my keypad and mouse to play on my big screen.

DarthCitrix
11-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Not at all. Once in a blue moon I watch a TV show if I forget to DVR something. But even then, I have my system wirelessly connected to my TV now.

I'm mostly doing it to play SWTOR at my desk without having to drag cables for my keypad and mouse to play on my big screen.

You must have quite the setup.

DarthBeek
11-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Just got me a 39" LED TV at Best Buy today for $169! That's going to replace my 24" computer monitor. o-o

I'm sure your eyes are thanking you for that. :P

WampaVsRancor
11-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I just got a 55" LED smart tv at Best Buy last week for $729. It's pretty astounding how much prices have come down.

DarthBeek
11-27-2013, 06:44 PM
I just got a 55" LED smart tv at Best Buy last week for $729. It's pretty astounding how much prices have come down.

As I sit here waiting for the 4K Ultras to come down. There a tad steep atm.

deathstar1000
11-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Thought someone was putting up a 4k for under $2k.

Ian_C
11-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Beek, if you're ever up this way, we gotta watch some Walking Dead together on my 60" Pioneer Elite. It's 3 years old now, but guaranteed to hold full life for 25 years (so far it's upholding that promise amazingly well) - and retailed at almost 7K.

Ian

Jedi534
12-02-2013, 01:05 PM
I picked up 2 new Sony Subs for my system at Best Buy last weekend for $89 each. These will replace the single Sony Sub I bought from "Circuit City" years ago. Yes, "Circuit City"! I'm using a 7.1 amp so I'll replace it soon with a 7.2 so long as it's a true 7.2 and not just "Y'd" 7.1.

Only gripe is my old Sub had the power button on the front so I could shut it off when not wanted. The new ones have the power button in the back so it's a little chore to turn them off the way I have them positioned.

The new ones also have an auto shut-off feature which is great, except they turn on and off constantly unless the movie I'm watching has explosions at least every 2 mins!!!

Cobalt60
12-02-2013, 04:13 PM
oh god. the sony auto off feature. I have this on a reciever in the bedroom and it drives me crazy. if I leave the unit turned on, then the "protection circuit" kicks in and the unit goes into stand-by mode. cool beans.

except there is no earthly way to make the power come back "on" again. does it come back on when a signal is present? no. does it come back on when I hit the power button? no. does it come back on when I hold the power button for 5 seconds, like a PC, in hopes to make it reboot? no.

the only thing I can do is crawl on my belly under my desk and unplug the damn thing, and wait until I hear a "click" to signal that the breaker has reengaged itself. :\

Jedi534
12-02-2013, 05:36 PM
oh god. the sony auto off feature. I have this on a reciever in the bedroom and it drives me crazy. if I leave the unit turned on, then the "protection circuit" kicks in and the unit goes into stand-by mode. cool beans.

except there is no earthly way to make the power come back "on" again. does it come back on when a signal is present? no. does it come back on when I hit the power button? no. does it come back on when I hold the power button for 5 seconds, like a PC, in hopes to make it reboot? no.

the only thing I can do is crawl on my belly under my desk and unplug the damn thing, and wait until I hear a "click" to signal that the breaker has reengaged itself. :\

Oh wow, F-That! Well, at least I can override the auto off feature but that's where the rear power button is an inconvenience. To shut it off, I gotta go hands and knees and reach behind to... woah, I better stop right there with that description... :$

WampaVsRancor
12-02-2013, 07:26 PM

As as impressive as these screens look, I actually don't like them much. They're almost too HD for me. Current high-end HD TVs make everything look like soap operas and I find it terribly distracting. I much prefer movies to look like movies, I feel films are losing some of their charm with all this "ultra HD."

deathstar1000
12-02-2013, 10:48 PM
That's the soap opera effect. You should be able to turn it off if you mess with the settings.

Speaking of TVs, here is my new 39" monitor.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1401331_597425896977972_593576161_o.jpg

DarthCitrix
12-03-2013, 03:57 AM
I picked up 2 new Sony Subs for my system at Best Buy last weekend for $89 each. These will replace the single Sony Sub I bought from "Circuit City" years ago. Yes, "Circuit City"! I'm using a 7.1 amp so I'll replace it soon with a 7.2 so long as it's a true 7.2 and not just "Y'd" 7.1.

Only gripe is my old Sub had the power button on the front so I could shut it off when not wanted. The new ones have the power button in the back so it's a little chore to turn them off the way I have them positioned.

The new ones also have an auto shut-off feature which is great, except they turn on and off constantly unless the movie I'm watching has explosions at least every 2 mins!!!

Where did u hookup the 2nd sub into the 7.1 receiver?

Jedi534
12-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Where did u hookup the 2nd sub into the 7.1 receiver?

I just added a "Y" Connector to the single Sub out and split the signal.

DarthCitrix
12-03-2013, 10:48 AM
I just added a "Y" Connector to the single Sub out and split the signal.

Ok, gotcha.

Jedi534
12-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Apparently, many receivers that are "7.2" are actually split internally but have 2 RCA external outs for convenience... :wtf:

Cobalt60
12-03-2013, 03:00 PM
upstairs: Marrantz 5.1 with Klipsch "Reference" speakers (400W bookshelf + 300W surround); Samsung 65 inch 3D "series 7" LCD
Basement: Harmon Kardon 7.1 with Klipsch "Reference" speakers (600W tower + 400W bookshelf-as-surround); twin Numark turntables through external preamp*; LG 47 inch 240HZ LCD
Main Floor: Samsung 55 inch Series 6 LCD; Samsung soundbar
Main Floor(separate): vintage Luxman LV-104u integrated amplifier; Technics turntable*; Marrantz CD/MP3 player; KEF "iQ" series speakers (iQ3 bookshelf + iQ7 tower)

* cartridges: Shure m92E; Shure m44G; Grado Prestige Red; Grado Prestige Black; Stanton 680.v3

* (the moving magnetic cartridge is very much like the magnetic pickup in an electric guitar:
- the Grado models are like the dual coil 'humbucking' pickup in a Les Paul -- the sound is fat and crunchy; B)
- the Shure models are like the single coil pickups in a Stratocaster -- the sound is clean and bluesy; B)
- the Stanton is a hip hop DJ cartridge with a big fat 0.7mil spherical stylus for playing old used records from the "Golden Age of Vinyl Abuse", aka "the80's", when everybody had crappy misaligned equipment that would grind the records into VINYL DUST.. and now those old LP's all sound like **** when played using traditional 0.5mil elliptical needles --- the fat heavy "hip hop" needle rides higher up in the groove above the "vinyl dust", compared to a skinny delicate elliptical tip which is designed to reach all the way down to the bottom of the groove -- brand new clean vinyl sounds awesome with the delicate elliptical "Hi-Fi" needles; old used beat-up vinyl sounds better with the heavy spherical "DJ" needles -- this is the only reason I keep it around). :\

Cobalt60
12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
P.S: before somebody calls me crazy:

" frequency response : 10hz - 55 khz " :o :o :o

Grado Labs | Red1 & Blue1 (http://gradolabs.com/page_cartridges.php?item=38321ec5cd0a729c14609aec8 ef8e8fe)

(you can't get THAT from "iPod") :P LOL